Thomas Turner Odell came to St. Andrews when a young man to join with his uncle, Thomas Turner, in the dry goods business. He passed this business on to his two sons, Edwin and Thomas, both of whom built magnificent houses in St. Andrews around the turn of the century and which are still intact. The business was called Manchester House at one point, and was located at the corner of Water and Edward, occupied now by the old N. B. Telephone Exchange Building. It burned in 1930.