ItemThe old Loyalist Burial Ground, so called, at the top of King Street, is or rather was simply the Town's Anglican Cemetery, and also the Town's second cemetery. The first was located next to the original Anglican Church on Church Street, near Water. Presumably the bodies from this small plot were relocated to the new cemetery on King when the ground was opened in 1794. The other demoniations had their own cemeteries, though the Anglican Church was the only church in St. Andrews before 1818. Other smaller cemeteries of note include one on Navy Island, a Poor House Cemetery - now lost - near Mowatt and Reid Avenue. The Loyalist Burial Ground, along with many of the smaller cemeteries, was closed in 1864 when the Rural Cemetery behind the Algonquin Hotel was opened.
There are a few interesting stories connected with this cemetery. The most intriguing is the case of Charles Briscoe, an aristocratic gentlemen who intimated strongly that he was the illegimate son of George IV, and that when his grave was broken open, important documents relating to his mysterious parentage would be found. Mr. Briscoe died in 1842. When after the requisite lapse of time had expired, the grave was indeed exhumed, but unfortunately for posterity and Mr. Briscoe, the precious papers hadn't been properly sealed in their containers and all had turned to dust.