Sir Thomas Tait rose from a humble clerkship in the Grand Trunk Railway to be Private Secretary to Sir William Van Horne, President of the Canadian Pacific Railway. Tait was later General Manager of Transportation for the CPR, and earned a knighthood for his work reorganizing the Australian railway system. He retired from business in 1916, was permanent summer resident at the Algonquin Hotel for years before constructing his semi-palatial house on the golf course grounds called Linkscrest in 1928. The house was designed by the Maxwell brothers of Montreal, who had already done various summer homes in St. Andrews for residents connected with the CPR. Tait died at Linkscrest in 1940. In 1970 the property was acquired by Huntsmarine Marina for a residence and renamed Anderson House after John Anderson, instrumental in the acquisition.