Edwin Odell was the son of Thomas Turner Odell, who came to St. Andrews in the early part of the 19th century to join his uncle Thomas Turner in the dry goods business. The business, located at the corner of Water and Edward Streets, now occupied by the old New Brunswick Telephone Company building, was called Manchester House. It burned in 1930. The business was prosperous, and Edwin Odell could well afford to have a lavish home designed for him by Edward and W. S. Maxwell, Montreal brothers who were building many mansions in St. Andrews at the turn of the century for wealthy Montrealers. The building was completed in 1912. It shows W. S. Maxwell's interest in classical design more the Edward Maxwell's, which tended to be less symmetrical and more cottage like.