Old St. Andrews



Greenock Church



According to local legend, a story in which there is probably more truth than not, Captain Christopher Scott, a wealthy shipbuilder and businessman from Greenock Scotland, put up the money to build the Church after hearing demeaning comments about the inability of the Presbyterian congregation to erect a church of their own. At this time, the only church in St. Andrews was All Saints Church, then located on Church Street. It was used by other congregations until such time as they had their own meeting places. The church was finished in 1824, and this notice is prominently displayed on the 120 foot steeple - apparently for a special reason. According to the legend, old Captain Scott in a dispute with the congregation over the non-completion of the accompaning manse - a precondition of his financing the church proper - locked the door and suspended all construction on the church. Later amends were made and the Greenock was finished. That at least is the story.

As imposing as is the Greenock on the outside, it is at least as impressive inside as well. The upper balcony is held aloft by 12 birdeye maples columns, and the great pulpit, which raises the minister to the level of the upper gallery, is constructed of Honduras mahogany. Legendary cabinet maker Thomas Nesbit of Scotland may have had a hand in its creation.

One interesting detail of the church interior is that the pews face both forwards and back. Evidently the Presbyterian emphasis on the word as opposed to the visual did not require the congregation necessarily to view the minister as he spoke.