ItemJohn and Alexander Watson were of Scottish birth. They established the St. Andrews Foundry, now the Old St. Andrews, in 1852, and carried on thre business of manufacturing stove, ships fittings, iron fences and castings of all sorts until 1878, when it passed into the hands of Andrew Lamb. From there there were a few short-term owners; the last was Michael McMonagle, who ran the operation until 1899, when he died in a boat trip to Eastport.
The Foundry Property was purchased in 1908 by Captain Nelson Clarke, who along with his daughter Marjorie enlarged the properties as Seaside Inn, now Old St. Andrews. The old Foundry building itself had been moved to the Lighthouse wharf in the 1890's to serve as a clam factory and later was used as temporary accommodation for immigrant workers at Sir William Van Horne's sardine factory in Chamcook.
John Watson died in 1890.