ItemThis house was the home of Judge Melvin N. Cockburn. Aside from his legal practice, Judge Cockburn was an amateur historian of note. He penned an interesting history of early St. Andrews for the journal Acadiensis in 1907, a source of valuable information for those interested in the Town's early life; and also a history of the Greenock Church. He died in 1928. His son George Cockburn became a noted New Brunswick lawyer and politician, as did his son G.W.N. Cockburn after him. Judge Cockburn's brother John opened Cockburn's drugstore at the corner of Water and King Streets, which later passed into the hands of the third brother, Edwin. It retains the Cockburn name.
The house itself was a simple Cape Cod, like so many of the early houses of St. Andrews - nothing pretentious. In 1912 however, Judge Cockburn undertook a wholesale renovation, perhaps to coincide with the visit of the Governor General of Canada to St. Andrews in that year. The Beacon for June 27, 1912, reported: "One of the pettiest residences in town is that of Judge Cockburn. By the efforts of carpenters and other mechanics its whole appearance has undergone a change. A mansard roof, with ornamental windows has completely changed the aspect of the upper floor. The bedrooms have been enlarged, a large hall has been provided, a pretty sewing room has been supplied, also a bath room and other accessories. On the ground floor the stairway has been changed, the kitchen extended, and coat room and chine closet put in. The street front has also been improved with a commodious and comfortable verandah placed on the western side of the building."
Later the house became the property of the Heney family of Montreal, a prosperous carriage maker, and was called Linden Lodge. The Heney's were connected by marriage with the Hosmers, who owned Hillcrest next door. Mrs. Heney and Mrs. Hosmer were sisters. Mrs. Homer's daughter Olive owned Linden Grange, on Carleton Street, hence perhaps the similarity of names, as Marjorie and Olive, daughters of the two sisters, were close friends.