ItemSt. Andrews Beacon, Oct. 24, 1907
Palatial Summer Home being Built by Mr. Smith
Veteran of 1861 to camp alongside old tent ground
When Mr. Charles F. Smith (of Montreal) footsore and weary, marched into St. Andrews from Quebec in 1861 to fight if need by for the honor of his country and the defence of its flag, he little dreamed that in the year of our Lord 1907 he would be building a palatial summer home adjoining the barracks where he first rested his weary bones with his brother soldiers. Mr. Smith's new dwelling is being erected on the lot recently purchased by him from Dr. Parker. Situated on the high ground to the south of the Algonquin it commands an unexampled view on all sides.
The building itself will be fit setting for such magnificent surroundings. Planned by Messrs. Edward and W. S. Maxwell, of Montreal, who recently won the $8,000 prize offered by the Canadian government, it will be one of the finest summer homes in the lower provinces. Surrounded by broad verandas, with an ample porte cochere fronting towards the setting sun, the ground floor will contain a large hall, living room, (from which a door will open on the south side) dining hall, children's dining room, waiting room, coat room, ken (the latter on the east side, at the extremity of the hall), also a large bedroom with bath room adjoining. The ell will contain kitchen, larger, etc. On the second floor there ill be six large bedroom in the main building, and three bathroom, while in the ell there will b four servants' bedroom and bath room. The heavy foundations and concrete pillars have been completed by Mr. Charles Horsnell, and the wooden superstructure has just been begun by Mr. Wright McLaren, who has large crew of men employed. The building will be completed in time for occupation next season.