This building is reported to have been originally built by Colonel Thomas Wyer, one of the founding members of the Town, around 1800. By 1837 it was being run as "a house of Entertainment, on Water Street, opposite the Church block, where travellers can be accommodated on the temperance system" by John Bailey. By 1848 it was Mr. John Bradford's Temperance Hotel, and continued to be run by Mr. Bradford, though not necessarily as a temperance establishment, until Robert Adams ran it as the "Central Exchange" hotel in 1874, so called perhaps because the mail stages for St. Stephen and Saint John left from this point on a regular basis. In 1878 the building was purchased by John Neil and became the Megantic Hotel, getting its name from the hope that St. Andrews would soon be connected by railway through Lake Megantic in Maine. Neil kept the Megantic Hotel until 1888, when investors from Calais and Houlton, hoping to capitalize on the sudden boom in real estate created by arrival of the St. Andrews Land Company, took ownership. There is a bit of a gap here until 1903, when James Grant reopens the building as the American House. Later the building was run as a bakery. It became Boutique La Baleine in the 1960's.