According to the St. Andrews Bay Pilot, 1878, "The building was erected in the year 1803, by H. B. Brown, the first Clerk of the Peace for the County of Charlotte. He was jocularly termed "Hurly Burly Brown." It served as the Town Post office for many years in the middle to latter part of the 19th century. In 1876 Dr. John and Edwin Cockburn established Cockburn's Drugstore at the location. After John Cockburn moved to Minneaoplis, the business was taken over by his brother, and after his death in 1938 passed to his son Robert. The drugstore is no longer in the Cockburn family.