Old St. Andrews



The H. V. Crandall and Mary Ellen



Waterfront 1890 This photograph taken from the lighthouse wharf, 1890, by local photographer D. Will McKay, shows two derelict schooners, the Mary Ellen, left, and H. V. Crandall, right. The Mary Ellen was owned by Robert Ross, and this photograph shows her pulled up on what used to be Mr. Ross's property, now in the possession of James Starkey, shipwright. Mr. Starkey, of Robbinston, Maine, operated his shipyard at the Lighthouse point. It seems these schooners were favorite subjects for visiting painters. Only a few years before this photo was taken, one of these vessels was the final abode of a chief engineer of the British Navy, George Lane, a hopeless alcoholic, who found his last refuge there before dying in the St. Andrews Poorhouse in 1889. Charlotte County Archives