ItemA native of Woodstock, W. E. Mallory moved to St. Andrews in 1876 and set up as a livery stable and mail delivery service. In 1879 he purchased the building at the corner of Water and Princess Royal Streets, formerly Sweet's Hotel. In 1888 he expanded the house and in 1889 added the large barn at the rear of his property. Mr. Mallory did quite well. A visitor to St. Andrews in 1881 wrote: "Visitors to St. Andrews will find in the town several well-appointed livery stables, first-class in every particular, one of which is that of Mr. W. E. Mallory, run in connection with the Argyll Hotel. He has a fine lot of carriages, including three handsome single phaetons, a double phaeton with a canopy top, and a splendid barouche. Mr. Mallory's stud consists of six superior horses all well harnessed, when required he furnishes careful and competent drivers. His stable is located on Princess St. off Water Street, a very central location."
In 1889 Mallory added the large barn at the rear of his property. According to the description in the St. Andrews Beacon, "The masonry for the foundation, which was put up by Mr. William Tait, was finished some days, ago, and the wooden superstructure is now in course of erection. This branch of the work is being performed by Mr. B. G. Tower, of Woodstock who has ten men under him. The building, which is 40 x 60 feet, will have two stories above the basement. The latter will be utilized for stabling, and will be very comfortable for the horses, being cool in summer and warm in winter. The first floor is intended as a carriage room, while on the floor above the hay and feed will be stored. The building will have a pitched roof, and is designed to harmonize with Mr. Mallory's residence of the corner adjoining. When completed the stable will be one of the most commodious and best arranged in the province."
W. E. Mallory had the Town's second telephone line, which was put in in 1901, connecting him to his biggest customer, the Algonquin Hotel. Mallory died in 1921, and passed on the business to his son Frank, who motorized it.