ItemThe site on which the present Town Hall is located was once the location of the Town's first Courthouse and Jail. Since St. Andrews was the Shiretown for Charlotte County, it was the place to which all prisoners were brought to be held and tried. There was also an execution in front of this building in 1826. The victims were Richard and Maria Stewart, a black brother and sister who lived outside of town on present-day Cedar Lane, which was at that time a shantytown housing blacks and many poor Irish. This incident was reported in the St. Andrews Herald in an issue which is now lost but partially reproduced in the Eastport Sentinel.
It is uncertain just when this imposing structure went up, but by 1832 and 1834, when the present Courthouse and Jail on Frederick Street were constructed, the old edifice was considered as unsightly as it was unsafe. Though many thought the building should be torn down, the Town elected to repair it and convert it to a Market House. This was effected in 1841. The only photograph of the old Market House dates to 1866, during the Fenian scare, when it was thought that Irish rebels were set to invade St. Andrews from Campobello Island.
The Market House burned in 1874 in the fire which destroyed the Railroad Hotel next door.