ItemSt. Andrews Standard June 17, 1842
Improvements—We notice that the lower part of the old Jail is undergoing repairs, for the purpose of converting it into a Market House; the room used formerly for holding the Courts in, is also to be repaired and fitted up for a Public Hall. The partitions and floors of the old jail were lined with iron bars about six inches apart and double planked over with timber, notwithstanding which several places can be seen where we are informed persons have cut through and made the escape out of holes barely a foot square. The iron and spikes appear to be good and may be disposed of to advantage.