Old St. Andrews

Main

Title

Crackers

Content

Item

St. Croix Courier, Sept 25, 1941
Crackers
A story which illustrates the initiative and enterprise of Alfred Jones, proprietor of Sea-Side Inn, and also the speed of Frank Gilman and his crew is behind the odd name "Crackers" seen on one of the cottages connected with the inn. It seems that a bride and groom arrived at the Inn one evening last year looking for accommodation, only to be told that everything was taken. They said they had heard of St. Andrews and the Inn from friends and had planned all year on spending their honeymoon here. After some pondering and head scratching Mr. Jones told them to come back in 24 hours and he'd have a place for them. He then got busy. He first induced Frank Gilman to leave the job he was on and give him one day's work with his crew of three men. Mr. Gilman went down and prepared an order for lumber which was on the spot the next morning before 7 o'clock. Then an old shed on the grounds began its transformation. It was raised and levelled. A hardwood floor was laid, walls and ceiling covered with beaverboard. The roof and sidewalls were shingled, door and windows placed. By the time Mr. Jones got back from St. Stephen in the afternoon, followed by a load of furniture, beds and fixin's, bureau and chairs, curtains and rugs, the carpenters had finished, the place was wired for lights, and on installing the furnishings was ready for occupation. The young couple arrived at promptly 6 o'clock, and on being shown their first home were delighted. They wanted to name it "Crackers," which had no connection with its preparation, but in remembrance of their parents, who had spent many winters in St. Petersburg, Florida, where habitu├ęs are always called Crackers.