Old St. Andrews



Benjamin Dewolfe




Benjamin DeWolfe began business in the store of Mr. J. R. Bradford, next door to what is now Sunbury Shores. In 1886 he tore down the old Berry House and built a large warehouse and store on the current site. We have a photograph of the storefront from a later date when it was owned by the Mowatt family; behind the new sign can be the older name of B. F. DeWolfe. According to Mr. DeWolfe's obituary, for a time he managed with great success the Deer Island and Camppobello Steamboat Company. In 1896 Mr. DeWolfe purchased land near the lighthouse from Charles Gove and built a large wharf there. This later became known as the steamboat wharf because many of the local steamboats delivering goods and passengers from the surrounding area docked there. The Charlotte County Archives has many photographs of these steamers. With this wharf, which connected with the nearby railway station and did a brisk business, in place, the town tried unsuccessfully to persuade the CPR in general and Sir William Van Horne in particular, to invest in the town as a railway depot, but without much success. Mr. DeWolfe went to Oregon for a time; when he came back he puchased the old Street property, present-day Harbourfront Restaurant, and erected a large coal wharf. Around this time he sold his first wharf to the CPR, which used it for a time then replaced it and added another beside it. All these wharves are now gone. Mr. DeWolfe was Mayor of St. Andrews, among his many accomplishments. He died in 1911, and after his death the Street building was partially converted to serve as the Town's first moving picture theatre, called the "Acme." The DeWolfe coal wharf, later called Doon's wharf, was carried away in a storm in the 40's.