Edward Maxwell was a close personal friend of Sir William Van Horne, and came to St. Andrews around the turn of the century more or less at his request. He built Tillietudlum, his summer home in St. Andrews, at the end of the Bar Road, just across the water from Sir William. Mr. Maxwell was a summer resident of the town for many years and after his death in 1923 his family continued to summer here. During his tenure in the town, Maxwell designed homes for a number of his friends, mostly Montreal people connected with the CPR, but also some for local residents - complete or additions. All of the Maxwell houses with the exception of one - Dalmeny - which burned in 1946, are still standing and, mostly, in good condition.