Old St. Andrews



Mary Van Horne's Diary - Excerpts



MG29 A60 Vol. 90
July to October—Journal Entries 1893-96
Diary of Mary Van Horne


. . . the floors and woodwork.  Beds still airing.

Thursday, July 2nd
Rugs down and most of the house in order


Friday, July 3rd
A warm, sunny day.  Walked to town to order supplies as expect the family down tomorrow and McQuoid to go in for a load with Norm, took Mrs. Doherty back.  Was caught on the other side by the tide.  Jack O’Halleran working on sail boat at bar, came over and rowed me over.


Saturday, July 4th.
Sent mornign pressing out curtains and toilet sets and watching for train which was over two hours late.  Addie Jr. with Lily, Annie ? the cook, and Mrs. Dryer and Johnny? arrived.  Addie Sr. detained at last ? her appointment with the dentist.  Foggy and rain later.


Sunday, July 5th.
Rained most of the day.  Addie and I put up some curtains, read and visited with each other.


Monday, July 6th.
I went over to meet William and Addie and the Baroness Macdonald of Earnscliffe, [Sir John died June 6, 1891] all of whom we expected.  The day threatened rain and as rather foggy all day.  On bar met agent coming to look after telephone wires, gave me message saying ? the Baroness, but William and  Addie could not arrive until Tuesday.  Did errands in town then met the train at Bar Station, neither private car on but the car with Dryer and horses was there.  This was left at Bar Station.  I took the dogs over with me, McQuoid hurried back to help Dryer.  Spent afternoonun packing things and getting them in order.  A later telegram said they would arrive on evening train.  Addie and I decided to row over and leave the buck-board meet us later as the tide was on at train time.  We stopped at Mr. Marshall Andrews to borrow some silver as ours had been forgotten and left in Addie Sr.’s trunk, had some fun over the cows chasing the dogs.  We went into town on the Earnscliffe where the buckboard met us, and the Baroness with Brookes her maid, and Miss Ritchie of Ottawa, drove over with us.  We had a cup of cocoa and some cold tongue and got to bed somewhat after twelve.


Tuesday, July 7th.
Another foggy drizzly day.  I had to go to town.  The Baroness and Mrs. Ritchie went with me.  We sent the buckboard back to the Bar Station and walked out from town.  Wm. and Addie Sr. arrived on car Saskatchewan with the porter, Snell.  I drove over with them.  The Baroness and Mrs. Ritchie walked all the way.  It continued foggy all day.


Wednesday, July 8th.
The weather very sunny and bright.  Spent morning on veranda.  I gathered some berries about a quart from our garden, also some gooseberries, first of season.  Miss R and I bathed in the afternoon, we went to the end of the Island for tea, built a fire on the beach.  Addie and Miss Ritchie rowed up the rest of us walked.  They found that the tea was forgotten, and Jack went back for it, and arrived soon after the rest of us did.  William showed some card tricks, and we played grabouche.


July 9, 1896
Miss [Mary] Van Horne came down from Montreal last week, to arrange for the opening of Sir William Van Horne’s summer residence.  The family are now installed in it for the season.

Baroness MacDonald, who has been visiting Lady Tilley in SJ, came to SA on Monday night and is now the guest of Lady Van Horne at Covenhoven.  She is in excellent health.


Thursday, July 9th
Another bright and sunny day, and very warm.  82 degrees on verandah at one o’clock.  Addie Jr.  Miss Ritchie and I went for a sail in the morning, spent the afternoon on veranda. 
            The Baroness and Miss Ritchie left on the 5:15 train.  All except myself drove over with them, Mrs. Thompson, [widow if Sir John? who was buried 1895] Mrs. Ryan and Mrs. Weir drove up as they were leaving but did not come in.  Addie Jr. and I tried the bicycle and went up to Mr. Marshall Andrews in evening.  We gathered enough wild strawberries for dinner.  Gathered enough cultivated berries for our breakfast.


Friday, July 10th.
Another bright and sunny and warm day.  William painted on the veranda, the rest of us did odds and ends about, I bathed, and Addie took a foot bath in the sea.  Miss Emma Andrews took luncheon with us, later Mr. and Mrs. M. Andrews and later still Mrs. E. L. Andrews, Bessie [Beatrice?] and Daisy came in.  William left for Montreal.  Drove over early to finish a sketch of the island from the station.  We did errands in town then arrived in time to see him before he started, Addie, Miss Andrews and I drove over.            In evening we practiced bicycle for a little while.


Saturday, July 11th.
Weather very warm and sunny in the morning, about half-past two a heavy rain storm came up, accompanied by thunder and lightning.  Later it became pleasant again.  Cleaned a dress skirt and prepared it to make over, gathered some strawberries, had a bath, and after the storm Addie Sr. and Jr. and I drove to town, I returned a package to Industrial Rooms.  We received a box of “Isham’s Waters of Life.”  Addie and I practiced bicycle riding and in evening Addie Sr. and I played “grabouche.”


Sunday, July 12th.
A bright warm sunny day.  ?Tide on in the morning, so could not go to church, gathered a quart of strawberries from the garden, found Roses and Diervilla Infida?  and [blank here] in bloom.
            Both Addies and I had a bath, the water was quite as warm as at Martha’s Vineyard.  Read “Micah Clarke,” by Conan Doyle and Emerson’s “Essay on Experience” and “Character.”  Wrote to Lizzie, ? , Emma and Belle Vaughan.


Monday, July 13th.
Morning bright and sunny and very warm, about three o’clock a heavy shower came up followed by sunshine and a beautiful rainbow.  I made over a skirt for riding on the bicycle, could not finish it as had no sewing silk.  Made over the band of another skirt, and cleaned a third.  Our drive delayed on account of storm, did some errands in town, and just got home before another heavy storm with thunder and lightning took place.
            We noticed a peculiar reflection on the opposite shores when we were in bathing, similar to that of July 11 last Saturday which was also followed by a heavy storm in the afternoon.  All three bathed.  The two Addies played “grabouche” in the evening, I worked on my white and gold table center.


Tuesday, July 13th [sic]
Intended to going to St. Stephen today by boat, but awaking early found it was foggy.  The fog horn blowing indicated fog outside in Bay of Fundy, so feared boats would be delayed, and postponed the trip another day.  Later it proved to be a perfect day not so warm as days last week, but bright and sunny all day.  Finished my bicycle skirt made a sketch from my window made a custard for luncheon, and the two Addies and I had a fine bath—the water was warm.  Read Emerson’s essay “On Friendship.”  We drove in afternoon a few errands in town, then drove to Joe’s Point in see the new Golf Club House.  Practiced bicycle after dinner.


Wednesday, July 15th.
Rained slightly at 6 am.  Thought we would not go to St. Stephen, but it brightened up later and we decided to go.  Went by boat which left at 8 am arriving at Calais at 10:20.  Went to St. Stephen on the electric cars first went to Vroom’s to see about a piano and to buy a table.  Did a few other errands.  Took dinner at the Windsor, Returned at 2:00.  Soon after starting a heavy rains storm came up, had some time to wait for the buckboard, did some errands.  Arrived home a little before dinner.  Rain still continues with lightning.


Thursday, July 16th.
Rather cloudy during morning, but sunny during afternoon.  Cut out a petticoat and gathered strawberries from the garden in the morning.  Addie and her mother drove.  We all bathed in the afternoon.  The tide was high at 3:16 pm, temperature of the water 59 degrees.  We cut out a toilet set for one of the rooms and practised on the bicycle, Addie roade alone going up the avenue.  Addie Sr. gathered potato bugs.  Addie Jr. worked on the toilet set in the evening.  Addie Sr. and I played “grabouche.”
Friday, July 17.
A bright sunny morning.  We went for a long drive along the St. Stephen road and through Quaking Valley to the St. John Road.  I worked about one hour on my table center after luncheon, then Addie Jr. and I rowed over to Katy’s Cove and walked to town to do some errands.  Got back very late for dinner.  Addie Sr. and I played grabouche. I read two chapters of Micah Clarke.  Read a letter from Lizzie.


Saturday, July 18th.
A bright sunny day.  In the morning I began a petticoat, Addie and her mother went to drive.  I gathered strawberries and finished off runners, then got some flowers for some of the vases Addie did not have time to fill.  I got back to the house just as they came from their drive and in time for luncheon at half-past twelve.  Addie Jr. and I went fishing in the afternoon, but although we tried two places failed to catch any.  The breeze fortunately held out to bring us back until within a few yards of the boat’s buoy.  We tried the bicycle in the evening.  Went down to the gate and back.  Took some shore? prints of mushrooms today.


Sunday, July 19th.
A bright sunny day.  We went to church in the morning, and for a tramp through the woods in the afternoon, found three varieties of mushrooms which answer Gibson’s descriptions of edible ones.  Wrote to Benedict, and studied muchrooms.  Read a little in Micah Clarke.


Monday, July 20th.  Foggy in early morning.  The fog came in from the south, later the sun came out, but rain fell about five in the afternoon and continues.  We were asked to a euchre party at the Hotel this evening, Addie Sr. and I drove to town for the mail at noon in the pony cart, came home by the way of Rose Lane.  Worked on my petticoat a part of the day.  Addie Jr. and I had another tramp in the woods in search of mushrooms, found two fine groups of Cantharellas Cibarius, Addie Sr. and I plaed two games of grabouche in the evening.  Dryer, Jack caught 12 Had. and 1 cod.


Tuesday, July 21st.
Cloudy and foggy early, but clear and pleasant later.  I drove to town in morning to attend to errands, took Tommy Dryer to hold the pony.  The two Addies went to meet William who arrived on the morning train.  We tried the chantarelles for luncheon, and found them very delicious.  Called on Mrs. Marshall Andrews and Mrs. E. L. Andrews in the afternoon.


Wednesday, July 22nd.
Bright and sunny all day.  Mrs. and Mrs. Hope, Mrs. Hooper and Mrs. Hosmer called in the afternoon, also Mrs. Mowatt and Mrs. Carey.  William left in afternoon.


Thursday, July 23rd.
A sunny day.   Spent morning in woods looking for new mushrooms, found some chantarelles.  drove in afternoon found some chantarelles on the road leading up to the Bay Side.


Friday, July 24th.
Spent morning in the woods.  Drove to town in afternoon in pony cart with Addie Sr.  Dryer having had his head hurt by one of the horses, sent the chantarelles up to William who was to have Messrs. Matsuki, and Sugio? and Prof. Morse and another gentleman to spend Sunday with him.  Temperature of the water 60 degrees.  Dr. and Mrs. Parker and daughter and Mrs. Street and John called.


Saturday, July 25th.
bright and sunny in the morning.  Canon and Miss Ketchum called, also Mrs. Gove, Mrs. Hazen Grimmer, Mrs. C. Grimmer, Mrs. Raymond and Mrs. Hazen of St. John.


Sunday, July 26th.
A perfect day.  Read all morning, wandered about in afternoon and read on veranda, servants all went to church in evening as the tide “served” them.


Monday, July 27th.
Morning pleasant.  Rained in afternoon and evening.  Addie Jr. and I went fishing for flounders, caught ten.  Then we went to see how the men were getting on with the new path fo the black rock, found some more chantarelles, and a very peculiar vile smelling fungus.  Drove to town in afternoon, got some material for a denim skirt and cut it out after our return.  Rained all the time were were driving.  Addie Sr. and I plaed two games of grabouche in the evening and did a little hemming.  Letter on Sat. William enclosing one from Bennie.  Rec’d letter from Cousin Rose today.


Tuesday, July 28th.
Bright and sunny and unusually warm. Thermometer 80 degrees, water 65 degrees according to Lily who took the temperature early afternoon.  Tide high at 1:34.  Made a denim skirt, spent the whole morning over it, finished some mats for the dark blue guest room bureau, Mrs. M. Andrews called, we went for a drive in afternoon, did some errands in town, then drove out on St. Stephen Road, returnign through Ghost Lane where we found a lot of Chantarelles.   Bessie and Jack Andrews dined with us and we placed euchre after dinner after sitting some time on the verandah, the evening was so lovely.


Wednesday, July 29th
Bright and sunny, no so warm as yesterday.  Spent part of the morning working among the strawberry vines, gathered the lost of the berries, hemmed some ruffling, and wrote to Foster Brown to send price list of some works on fungi and to W. Paul for some salad oil and sugar and a note inclosing P. O. Order to D. Regan of St. Stephen to pay for a stove for stable bedroom.  Drove in afternoon, did the errands in town, and then drove out on the St. Stephen road returning by Ghost Lane, where we found a basket of Chantarelles.

Thursday, July 30th.
Very foggy in the morning.  The path to the bath-house was ploughed.


Friday, 21st.
Bright and pleasant in the morning, a strong breeze blowing.  Jack and Willie went for fish, a gale came up about half-past five.  They caught one fish and lost their anchor, did not get in until about 9 pm.  I went riding in the morning, worked over the strawberry plants for two hours or more, bathed temperature of water 60 degrees.  Tried the bicycle later.


Saturday, Aug. 1st
Weather bright and sunny.  Looking for William down today, drove to Station to learn if he was coming, no word from him, on our return found Ethel and Annah at Bar Station.  Horses sent over to be shod in afternoon.  Annah, Addie and I sent for a walk and to look for chantarelles, then took a bath temperture of water 54 degrees.  Addie rode to gate on bicycle and I rode back.  Played one game of grabouche with Addie in evening then helped Ethel with another game.  The servants all went to town in the evening.


Sunday, Aug 2nd.
Misty in the morning, rain about noon, afternoon bright and sunny.  The two Addies, Ethel and Annah went to church.  I gatherred and arranged the flowers.  Wrote to Lizzie, cousin Rose and Addie Smith, read or finished “The Sign of the Four” by Conan Doyle, and read also his story “A Scandal of Bohemia,” and several chapters of “Power Through Repose” by Annie Payson Call. [Ed.—published 1891]


Monday, Aug 3rd.
Morning rather foggy but clear and bright by ten o’clock.  I had a ride went out the St. Stephen Road after investigating a short road part the Golf Links, and came back by Ghost Lane.  Cut some runners in Strawberry bed, cleaned sewing machine and did some hemming.  The two Addies, Ethel and Annah drove in the morning and we all went ot the head of the island for tea.  I came back by the lower path.  We found a basket of Chantarelles.  William telegraphed he would arrive tomorrow.


Tuesday, Aug 4th.
Foggy in the morning.  Bright and sunny later.  William arrived at 11 am.  Addie Sr. met him then Annah and I drove to town in the buck-board to do some errands and to get Jimmie? and some packages from the car.  Mr. Moodie of London with his daughters Miss Moodie and Miss Violet Moodie and Miss Parker called.  Earlier Mr. Andrews and Bessie called, and later Mr. Timmerman arrived.  Addie, Ethel Annah and I played euchre in the evening.  Mr. T [immerman] and Wm. played grabouche on the verandah. [Ed.—this visit probably had to do with the transfer of property from Timmerman to Van Horne]


Wednesday, Aug. 5th.
Bright and sunny in the morning.  Rain about 5 pm.  Went to town in pony cart in the morning with Tommy, Addie Sr. with Ethel, Annah and Mr. Timmerman went for a drive in the buck-board.  Mr. Moodie, Miss Moodie, Miss Violet Moodie and Dr. Parker lunched with us.  Mr. and Mrs. Marshall Andrews called while we were at luncheon and Mr. and Mrs. Hope, Mrs. Hooper and Dr. Wilson of Philadelphia called later and we had tea on the verandah.


Thursday, Aug 6th.
Somewhat cloudy and threatening all day, rain in the evening.  William and Mr. Timmerman left for St. Stephen on the buckboard at about eleven, Addie Sr. andI went to town in the pony cart to attend to some errands and the sale for the church.  In the afternoon Addie, Annah and I hunted for mushrooms.  We played grabouche in the evening.


Friday, Aug 7th.  Worked for a time over the strawberries.  Set out some cuttings, about 20.  Very foggy weather. Addie Sr. and I drove to town to the bank, on the pony cart.


Sat. Aug 8th.
Foggy in the morning, bright and pleasant later.  Worked for awhile on the strawberry bed.  In afternoon we all drove to town, Ethel, Annah and I went to a tea at Mrs. Goves.  We played grabouche in the evening.


Sunday, Aug 9th.
A bright sunny day.  Bathed, temp. water 60 degrees.  Rather rough.  Read several chatpers of “Power Through Repose” and several stories in Harper and Scribners.  Addie, Annah and I rode the bicycle toward evening, a light shower fell in late afternoon, Mr. and Mrs. Hosmer with Elwood and Olive and Mrs. Henry and daughter Margery called in afternoon, servants went to church in evening.

Monday, Aug 10th.

A sunny and warm day.  Finished cutting runners on Strawberry bed.  Had a delightful bath.  Went for a drive and to do someerrands in town.   Called at Hotel to see Mrs. and Miss Merritt, the latter was ill.  Afterwards drove to  Chamcook Lake, found over three pounds of Chanterelles and a number of other fungi, watched the stars on verandah in evening.  Saw a lot of shooting stars.  Had a telegram announcing Mrs. Reid’s death on last night, funeral tomorrow.


Tuesday, Aug 11th.
Another very warm day, but reports tell of great heat all over the continent, although warm here not at all uncomfortable.  Was up early made some new bands for my curtains and did a little work on my petticoat.  Had a delightful bath at about half-past ten temperature of water 64 degrees.  Seemed quite warm on surface.  William arrived with Mrs. and Miss and Master Hugh Osler, of Toronto, Mr. Osler was called back from Montreal when on his way here.  Addie, Annah, Miss Osler and Hugh went for a sail.  Mrs. Osler and I drove to town in pony cart and went to hotel to inquire for Miss Merritt.  I sent a Post Office Order to Morgans $10.56 which includd payment for my belt ribbon and corset, $5.11.  We all spent evening on verandah, Wm. explaining position of stars to Addie.  Mrs. Dryer taken ill at night.


Wednesday, Aug 12th.
Weather quite warm but rather cool in morning, bright and sunny.  Miss Osler went for a ride on bicycle, Mrs. Osler, Ethel, Annah and I played a game of croquet.  We all bathed temperature of water 62 degrees.  The others went for a drive on the St.Stephen Road, Annah and I went to look for mushrooms at north-end of island.  Found two basketfuls of Chantarelles.  While at dinner, Mr. Tait, Mr. Timmerman and Mrs. Sutherland came in.  Hugh Osler and I played bagatelle, the others read and chatted, William drove down with the gentlemen, and Addie and Ethel walked down to meet him.  Dr. Wade came to see Mrs. D [ryer], said it was a bilious attack. [gall bladder]


Thursday, Aug 13th.
Weather a little warmer then yesterday, sent for Mrs. Doherty to finish the ironing, tried to make out a fungus we found yesterday.  It seems like a truffle.  Mr. Osler arrived on the 11 am train, also Mr. Gibson from Fredericton.  Addie Sr. and I went for some specimens of the fungus which we think of sending to J. Palmer for identification, did a little sewing, after luncheon we all bathed, temperature of water 62 degrees, but seemed colder than yesterday.  William, Addie Sr., Mr. and Mrs. Osler went for a drive to Chamcook Lake, Mrs. Osler and I drove to town.  Mrs. McLean came in just after dinner.


Aug. 14th
A bright sunny day rather warm. Mr. H. Montague Allan arrived in the morning, and with him Mr. Osler and Hugh went fishing caught no fish.  Addie Jr., Mrs. Osler, Miss Osler, Annah and I went on an excursion through Big and Little La Tete Passages and up to L’Etang Harbor.  We played grabouche and bagatelle in the evening.


Saturday, Aug 15th.
A beautiful bright day.  The gentlemen with Mrs. Osler and Addie Sr. went to drive in the morning.  Ethel, Annah, Addie and I bathed temperature of water 62 degrees, then with Mrs. and Miss Osler and Addie Sr. we went for a walk to the smooth beach.  William with Mr. Osler and Mr. Allan left in the afternoon.  We played grabouche and Bagatelle in the evening.


Sunday, Aug 16
Foggy all day, temperature 62 degrees.  Rain at night.  Mrs. Osler, Miss Osler, Addie Sr., Ethel and Hugh went to church in the morning, I read amost of day.  Mrs. Osler, Addie and Ethel walked up to gate, found Tommy Dryer and Mel McQuoid out on a raft, Willie had to swim out to get them back.  Read Julius A. Palmer Jr.’s “About Mushrooms,” finished “Power Through Repose,” read several stories in St. Nicholas and other magazeines, and a portion of a book on Fungi.


Monday, Aug 17th
A bright pleasant day, beautiful display of Northern Lights at night, Ethel, Addie, Annah, Miss Osler and Hugh went for a drive.  Mrs. Osler, Addie Sr. and I sewed on the verandah, Mrs. Merritt, with her daughter and Miss Hazen called.  Addie, Annah, Miss O. and Hugh went for a sail in the afternoon, Ethel, Mrs. Osler and I had a bath, temperature of water 59 degrees.  Miss O., Hugh, Annah and I went to a euchre party at the hotel.


Tuesday, [Aug 18th]
A bright, pleasant day with occasional darkening.  Addie, Annah, Miss O. and Hugh with Mr. and Mrs. Matsuki who arrived this morning went to see the weir fished, had to go to head of Bay in sail boat.  Mrs. O. Ethel, Addie Sr. and I drove to Chamcook by lower road then to town.  Found a lot of Chantarelles in Ghost Lane, the Oslers left on afternoon train.  Mr. Matsuki taught us a game with Japanese cards and we taught him grabouche in the evening.


Wednesday, [Aug] 19th
Another bright day with one shower about four pm but bright again later.  Addie, Annah and Mr. and Mrs. Matsuki went over to Macmaster’s Island fishng, caught eight haddock.  Ethel, Addie Sr. went for a drive.  I worked on curtains for Benedict’s room, they helped me finish them when they got home.  Late in the the afternoon I set out about weventy strawberry plants.  Mr. Matsuki and I played two games of grabouche in the evening.  Ethel and Addie Sr. also played.  The fishing party got back about 8 pm.


Thursday, Aug 20th.
A bright sunny day, rather cool.  Finished curtains for Addie’s room with help from Mrs. Matsuki, Ethel and Addie Sr.  Expecting William with some gentlemen.  He arrived alone, the others to come on evening train.  Addie Sr. with Ethel and Mrs. Matsuki drove in the afternoon.  Addie, Annah and I went in the sail boat to St. Andrew’s Island to a picnic tea given by Mrs. Allan Macdonnell, arrived home about half-past eight.  Mr. Meysenburg with Mr. Harahan and Colonel Ray of Chicago arrived on the Boston train.


Friday, Aug 21st.
A bright, beautiful day.  All the gentlemen went fishing caught four fish.  The two Addies, Ethel and I had a bath, tem. water 60 degrees.  I went for mushrooms, found a Clavaria Formosa, and a few Chantarelles.  Mr. Armstrong of the Beacon called.  Later, Mr. Wells and Miss Merritt also Mr. and Miss Moody with Miss Violet Moody and Miss Parker.  Had tea on the verandah.  Later Addie and I bicycled.  In the evening Addie, Ethel, Annah and I played grabouche.  Addie Jr. with Mr. and Mrs. Matsuki played bagatelle and the gentlemen came in later to look on.  Mr. Harahan and Col. Ray were up at six o’clock.


Saturday, Aug 22nd.
Rather foggy and cool, rain in late afternoon.  Richard B. arrived in the morning with Don Ross.  Mr. Harahan and Col. Ray left in the early morning before we were up, to take a boat to Eastport.  After getting over to town so early this boat did not leave until ten o’clock.  Wm., Mr. Meysenburg and Mr. Matsuki took a walk up the east side of the Island came back later with blueberries, flowers and puff balls, inspired the others to a walk to gather berries, after luncheon Ben and Don drove to town with Brownie.  Wm., Mr. Meysenburg and Mr. Matsuki drove in the buckboard.  Mr. Meysenburg left on the afternoon train with Mr. Harahan and Col. Ray.  Mr. Wells of Toronto who came down in the car with William and was ill yesterday and went to the Algonquin came over with Wm. and Mr. Matsuki.  In the evening Addie, Mrs. Matsuki, Don and Ben played played Bagatelle.  Ethel, Addie Sr., Annah and I played grabouche.  Wm. and Mr. Wells played chess while Mr. Matsuki looked on.


Sunday, aug 23rd.
Rained in the evening.  Read “Under the Red Robe” by Stanley  Weyman.


Monday, Aug. 24th.
A bright sunny day.  Temp. water at bath 64 degrees.  In the afternoon Addie Sr, Ethel, Mrs. Matsuki went for a drive.  Wm., Mr. Wells and Mr. Matsuki drove with them as far as Mr. M. L. Andrews’ then walked to the beech wood.  I went up by boat which was to bring Mr. Wells back to the smooth beach, then went diagonally through the woods where I found a bunch of clavana and near the beech wood path a lot of chantarelles more than I could bring home arrived home had to hasten to dress for dinner to which we had invited Mrs. and Miss Merritt, of Toronto, friends of Mr. Wells’.  Finished Addie’s curtains.


Tuesday, Aug 25th. 
A bright and pleasant day.  Addie, Mrs. Matsuki and I went for the chantarelles I left yesterday got nearly a market basket full, packed a box for Wm. to take home with him.  Wm. and Mr. Wells left on afternoon train.  The others went for drive after leaving them at the Bar Road.  Jack and Bessie Andrews came in in the evening.  They with Don and I played Bagatelle.  Benedict and Mr. Matsuki played chess, Addie Sr.  with Ethel, Annah and Mrs. Matsuki played grabouche and Addie Jr. embroidered.  Dr. Parkin of toronto called in the afternoon.


Wednesday, Aug 26th.
A beautiful day.  Temp. water 60 degrees.  Mr. and Mrs. Matsuki left by boat for Boston in the afternoon.  They had to sail around at the harbor.  Ben and Don went with them.  The others went for a drive around Big Head.  We rode the bicycle for a while.  I rode half a mile and mounted alone three times.  Ben and Don went to an entertainment for the Library at the Hotel in the evening.  The rest played grabouche.


Thursday, Aug 27th.
Cloudy and misty in the morning, a bright afternoon.  Ethel, Addie and Annah bathed. Temperature of water [blank here].  Addie and Annah went for a sail and rode bicycle later.  Ethel and Annah left on afternoon train, the boys met us at the Bar Road and with the rest of us drove into town to do some errands.  Most of the shops closed so could do but little.  In the evening Don and I had a couple of games of Reversi, Addie and her mother played grabouche.  Later Ben and Don played bagatelle, I went to bed early.


Friday, August 28th.
Another bright sunny day, rather cool.  Addie Jr. and I went to town with Brownie to do the errands we did not get done yesterday.  Late in afternoon we drove out onSt. Stephen Road where we stopped at a farm house and got some apples.


Saturday, Aug 29th.
Weather a little doubtful, but bright later windy.  The two Addies and I drove through Ghost Lane where we found some Chantarelles then through road by Joes’ Point to town.  Finished my petticoat and meneded lining in gra? drress.  The boys went to the Hotel in evening.  Addie finished sofa pillow for Hall.  Addie Sr. and I played grabouche.


Sunday, Aug 30th.
Somewhat cloudy early, but bright later.  We all went to church, Don and I went to Chamcook Church the others to Christ Church.  Made a sketch from my window in afternoon.  Read mushroom and fungi in evening.


Monday, Aug. 31st.
Some heavy clouds hanging about most of day, though the sun shone most of the time, rain after nightfall.  Benedict with Don and Jack went out into the outside bay fishing, intending to spend the night at Campbello.  The two Addies and I drove in the morning, went on the Chamcook Harbor Road returning by Ghost Lane and the St. Stephen Road to town, stopped at Mrs. Truesdales to return butter crock.  Spent afternoon cutting runners from strawberry plants, rode a short distance on bicycle, mounted twice alone.  Spent evening playing grabouche with Addie Sr.


Tuesday, Sept 1st.
A bright pleasant day.  Drove in the morning with Addie Sr. and Jr..  We went to Chamcook Lake, found a peculiar kind of fungus, large and yellow, with veins or ribs, color of a pumpkin.  Also, a cup shaped fungus resembling somewhat the Chantarelle.  We found also a quantity of Clavaria.  We then drove later to town, and in the afternoon Addie Jr. and I bathed, tem. water 58 degrees, then we bicycled.  In the evening we went up to Mr. E. L. Andrews to meet Mrs. Meehen of St. Stephen and Mrs. Mowatt of Vancouver.


Wednesday, Sept 2.
A bright warm morning, slightly cloudy and cold in afternoon.  Mr. and Mrs. Marshall Andrews took luncheon with us.  The boys Richard and Don returned in the afternoon, Addie and I bicycled.  In the evening the boys wen tto see Mr. Marshall Andrews, Addie Sr. and I played grabouche.  I begun a water color drawing of the red fungus.


Thursday, Sept 3rd.
A dullims ty and windy day, rain with thunder and lightening in the evening.  Finished my drawing, then cut out facing for a dress and got it ready for the binding.  Don and I played Annex? in the evening, Addie and her mother played grabouche.


Friday, Sept 4th.
A bright sunny day.  Addie Jr. and I spent the morning gathering blackberries, got about three quarts.  In the afternoon we drove to town paid some visits, called on mrs. Gove, Mrs. Godfrey Wren?, Mrs. Macdonnell, Mrs. Hazen and Miss Ketchum, then drove out on the St. Stephen road.  Addie Sr. and I played grabouche in the evening.  Addie Jr. embroidered and the boys played bagatelle.  I wrote to Addie Smith this mornign at least finished a letter to her.


Saturday, Sept 5th.  A bright pleasant day, quite warm in the sun.  Addie Sr. and I spent most of the morning in the woods.  Found quite a number of Chantarelles and several specimens of other fungi and 2 agarics.  In the afternoon Addie Sr. and I drove to town in the pony cart.  Richard and Don went for a ride.  Addie went to look for field mushrooms.  Later we rode the bicycle we both improving.  In the evening the boys went for a row.  Addie marked some towels, and Addie Sr. and I played grabouche.  This morning Addie finished a second sofa pillow in red denim for the hall.  I finished the binding on my dress.


Sunday, Sept 6.
A very rainy day.   We spent most of the day reading.  I began “The Seats of the Mighty” by Gilbert Parker, after having read some items about mushrooms and other fungi.  The rain poured down most of the day.


Monday, Sept 7th.
A warm sunny day.  Addie Jr. and I spent most of the morning gathering . . .


Tuesday, Sept 8th.
A bright sunny day.  Addie Jr. went to gather blackberries.  I went to hunt for mushrooms found enough chantarelles for luncheon, Addie and I had a bath, temperature of water 56 degrees. Very quiet  William arrived alone came over bar in a boat.  We paid a few visits and did some errands in afternoon.  Called at the Mowatt Farm on Mrs. Kimball and others.  Mr. E. L. Andrews came in in the evening.  Addie and I popped some corn.


Wednesday, Sept 8th
Canon Ketchum Mr. and Mrs. Gove came over early before the tide and remained to luncheon and until after the tide was off the bar.  Most of the day was bright and sunny, somewhat cloudy late in day with a beautiful sunset.  William, Richard and Don left for Montreal in the afternoon.  We drove over to the Bar Road Station with them, thenwent to town to call on Mrs. Howard Grimmer and to do so errands.  It looiked lovely at the hotel, which closes tomorrow.  Mr. Roger Allan and family are still at the Inness Cottage and the Park Cottage is still open.  Addie went to the Mowatt Farm to a card party in the evening.  I finished “The Seats of the Mighty” in the evening after two games of grabouche with Addie Sr.


Thursday, Sept. 10th
Foggy and rainy.  Addie Jr. found two Agaricus Campestris in the border in front so we donned our regimentals, had a bath, temp. of water 60 degrees nearly, very rough, tide very high, water under the bath houses when we bathed and not yet high tide then we went for mushrooms found enough for dinner and breakfast in Mr. E. L. Andrews sheep field, were caught in a shower.  The afternoon continued foggy and rainy, worked on taable center and made some trimming for organdy dress.  Played grabouche in the eve three games with Addie Sr.


Friday, Sept 11th.
Foggy in the morning, the sun came out about noon and the day was warm and pleasant.  Embroidered and sewed, read “Tom Sawyer as Detective” by mark Twain and hunted about the front meadow for mushrooms, found some puff balls, Addie found one Agaric [us] in the lawn, then Addie and I bathed, tide very high, but calm, found the thermometer we lost in the water yesterday, temperature of the water 58 degrees, but did not seem so cold as yesterday.  Wrote to the afternoon luncheon, and began some repairs on silk waist then we went for a drive did some errands in town then drove on the St. Stephen Road returning by Ghost Lane.  Read some short stories in Harper and played one game of grabouche with Addie Sr.


Sat. Sept 12th.
A warm lovely day.  The servants all went to Lake Chamcook for a pic-nic.  Addie Sr. and I hunted mushrooms in the morning, found a lot of puff balls, which we had for luncheon, which Addie Jr. and I prepared, Addie doing most of it, then she made a cake and later I made one.  At five Addie Sr. and I drove to town for the post and some butter and eggs. 


Sunday, Sept 13.
Another pleasant day, we loafed and read most of day, found a lot of mushrooms some blackberries and hazelnuts in the morning.


Monday, Sept 14th.
Very pleasant in the morning, rather cloudy and colder in the afternoon, we went for a drive to Chamcook Lake in the morning, found a lot of Clavaria, some chantarelles and puff-balls, which we sent up to William.  In the afternoon we sailed over to town took the mushrooms to the express office and Addie Sr. went to the bank.  Bessie Andrews, with Mable and Beatrice, came down in the evening.


Tuesday, Sept 15th.
Another bright warm day, Addie Sr. andI drove out on the Bay Road to Mr. Lawrence’s to get some apples.  Had a slight fright from some supposed run-a-way horse, they were however not loose.  Found Old Mr. Lawrence a “character,” very talkative.  We afterwards went to town where I met a man who had some apples to sell said he was the “Apple King” of thie region and a man by the name of Johnson, who has a nursery about 16 miles away.  ? set out apple ? for thirty cents each, and ? them.  In the afternoon I cut the runners from the strawberries.  In the evening Addie Sr. and I went up to Old Mr. Andrews with a couple bottles of whiskey.  Addie Jr. at home all day with a cold. 


Wednesday, Sept 16th
Another warm lovely day.  I had a delightful ride.  The two Addies went for a drive.  In the afternoon we all went up to the Long Meadow to look for hazelnuts, got a bout a quart when shelled and enough mushrooms for breakfast.


Thursday, Sept 17th.
Foggy and rainy in the morning bright and plesasant in the afternoon.  Bennie arrived on the eleven o’clock train having taken his examinations in Dynamics yesterday.  We drove to town in the afternoon.  Addie and Bennie popped corn and made corn balls in the evening.  Addie Sr. and I played grabouche.


Friday, Sept 18th.
A rather dull morning.  Addie and I had a bath—temperature of water 56 degrees—but it seemed cold.  The afternoon cleared up though the wind blew quite hard.  Bennie went for a ride, the two Addies and I went for a drive out to Mr. Lawrence to get some cider, the old man had the apples gathered and made the cider while we were there.  I finished the border of my table center in the evening the two Addies played grabouche.  Bennie did a chess problem.


Saturday, Sept 19th.
Rather cloudy in the morning.  Bennie and Jack started hunting partridges early in the morning, I got up to see about the luncheon and Ben’s breakfast.  They had to hurry on account of the tide.  Had a man over from town to see what was the matter with the boiler, which has been making all sort of disagreeable nosies.  Cleaned it out but did not help matters much.  It rained quite heavily in the afternoon.  Bennie brought home one partridge.


Sunday, Sept 20th.
A windy day.  Sunny most of the time.  Read “Kings in Exile,” by Daudet.  Addie rode about five miles on her bicycle.  Bennie went for a ride in the afternoon.  Tide on for both services.


Monday, Sept 21st.
A bright sunny day, somewhat cloudy in the morning.  Bennie left on the early train.  I tried the bicycle before breakfast but found it hard and made me feel faint.  During the morning the hot water back in the range burst, had to telegraph to Montreal for plumber.  Mrs. Gove, Mrs. Harold Grimmer and Mrs. Raymond called, just as we were starting for town, where we did some errandes and called on Mrs. Ketchum, Miss Whitlock, and Mrs. Durell Grimmer.


Tuesday, Sept 22nd.
The day was rainly all day.  In the afternoon it poured.  The plumbers arrived at noon, their tools could not be brought over until two o’clock as the tide was on the bar.  They went to work immediately and finished the work before going to bed at night.  Addie and I drover over to town in the afternoon in the pony cart, the rain poured down, we hoped to get a tea kettle by Express.  I has sent to town for Miss Andrews’ wedding present [Beatrice to Mr. Osler, no doubt] but it did not come, but got a box containing my heavy jacket and some skirts Nora had sent to R. B. by mistake, thinking he was to be here longer.  Finished my white and gold table center in the evening.


Wednesday, Sept 23rd.
A clear but very cold day.  Miss Andrews was married before seven at the church.  [Beatrice Andrews to James Osler?] to leave by she seven o’clock train, she only one out now.  We went out to look for mushrooms in the morning and drove in the afternoon.  Went out to Mr. Lawrence’s for cider and apples.  Mrs. Andrews and Bessie called.


Thursday, Sept 24th.
A cloudy cold day.  Went up to Mrs. Andrews with the kettle which came yesterday and to see the wedding presents.  Drove to town to pay visits and do some errands.  Called on Mrs. Parket, Mrs. Cockburn (two) and Mrs. Simonson.  Began my geranium table center. 


Friday, Sept 25th.
A bright day, the sun shone warm but a cold breeze blowing.  The two Addies and I went for a sail to Navy Island where we found a few mushrooms.  In the afternoon the two Addies went for a drive.  I read a little—painted a little and worked on my table center.  In the evening embroidered and read a letter while Addie and Tommy Dryer popped some corn and made some balls.


Saturday, Sept 26th.
A cold cloudy day.  Mrs. Mowatt came down with some wedding cake.  Mr. Jck, the surveyor came in with an outline of the road to be built on the Island.  Finished ¼ of border of table center.  The two Addies went for a drive in the afternoon.  I painted a lavender colored toad stool and began to dress the large doll we intend sending to Mr. Aksama’s (?) little girl, and went for a short walk to see about the garden.


Sunday, Sept 27th.
A cloudy day, a little warmer than yesterday, the sun came out faintly about noon.  I painted Boletus Edulis, and the gills surface of the lavender toad stool and read Emerson’s “Essay on Spiritual Laws.”  Addie Jr. bathed, temperature of water 60 degrees.  We all went for a walk in afternoon to follow the road staked out by the surveyor.  Could follow it only a part of the way.  Returned by the beech woods.  Found quite a number of mushrooms, also some interesting toad-stools, among them a Hydnum.  Wrote to Belle Vaughan and Emma in the evening.


Monday, Sept 28th.
Cloudy in the morning and rain later.  We drove to town to go to the bank and to pay some bills, but got only part of them done on account of the rain and the tide.  About noon the sun came out for a time.  packed wines etc. to be left in Root House.
I painted another boletus and Addie Sr. and I drove to town for the mail and to leave a box of mushrooms at the Express office to go to William.  The Office was closed, but Mr. Hugh O’Neil kindly took charge of it to leave it with Mr. McGee in time for the early train.  Mr.  E. L. Andrews came in during the evening.  I worked on my geranium table center.


Tuesday, Sept 29th.
A bright sunny day seemed quite warm, Tem. 60 degrees.  We drove to town in the morning after overseeing some packing.  Finished paying bills except that of Mowatt’s which we cold not get from P. O. as it was closed.  After our return Addie and I had a bath which we enjoyed very much.  Temperature of water 58 degrees.  After luncheon Addie and I went to town in the sail boat to get the mail, and pay Mowatt’s bill.  Had a good wind both ways.  Came in less than three quarters of an hour.  Addie rode the bicycle.  I planted some cherry stones.  After dinner we were just going up to see Mr. and Mrs. Marshall Andrews when Mrs. Mowatt and Bessie came in.  After they left the two Addies played grabouche, I finished the half of the border of my table center.


Wednesday, Sept 30th.
Rain poured all day.  We spent the entire day putting things away and packing.  News came in the morning that there was a strike among the Tel. Operators on the CPR.  Could not learn until the train came in whether our cars had orrived.  Later a telephone message told of the arrival of the Earnscliffe bu the Horse Car did not arrive.  Addie telegraphed to her father, via Western Union to let us know whether we would better return home instead of going to Halifax as we had planned, since there was a strike.  He replied that the train service was all right and the strike was practicaly over, so it need not interfere with our plans.  Dryer went over in the morning to have the horeses feet corked but returned before the mail arrived so we leave no news and it rained too hard to send any one over for it.  We telephoned some directions to the porter of the caqr, and the agent promised to get as early news of the Horse Car as possible.  In the late afternoon I wrote to Lizzie [sister Elizabeth Van Horne born 1846] and Theodore [brother Theodore Van Horne born 1848].  Played grabouche with Addie Sr. in the evening.


Thursday, Oct 1st.
Cloudy and foggy in the morning, the sun came out about noon and it was bright and warm the rest of the day.  The horse car not arriving we could not leave today as we planned.  Addie Sr. and I drove to town for some suppoies, went in the pony cart.  Mr. Andrews came in with his bill in the morning and he and Addie decided to go out to the glebe road that Addie might show him a beautiful pine tree we wanted transplanted.  In the afternoon Addie Jr. and I startd out to follow the line of the proposed new road around the island.  We followed it around to the north-west point from the stile at black rock and as it was getting late returned by the beech-wood path, having found some agarics russulas and Lycoperdous and Clavania.  The porters from the Earncliffe which has been sent for us and from Mr. Timmerman’s car were over to see what our plans were.  Hope for better news about the strike.  Addie and her mother went up to say good bye to the Andrews in the evening.  I felt too tired to go.


Friday, Oct 2nd
A cloudy and foggy morning, brightened a little about mid-day but quite threatening and aheavy shower about half past four in the afternoon.  Undedided about going, but a telegram from Mr. Timmerman said all was right, so we hurried with our arrangements and got over before the tide which was on the bar at 4 pm.  Bessie and Mable Andrews came down to drive some of us over.  We left at 5 pm, the servants went as far as McAdam then took the train for Montreal.  We went in the car Earnscliffe on to St. John.


Saturday, Oct 3rd.
Cloudy.  Slept and had breakfast in car.  Mr. timmerman came down to the car to see about our arrengements.  We went out for a walk and a ride on the street cars, then left at one o’clock for Halifax.  Mr. Notman Local Passenger Agent went on the same train and told us about the places.  It was dark when we reached Moncton.  We played several games of four-handed grabouche, then went to bed.  Arrived in Halifax near midnight.  The rain was falling.


Sunday, Oct 4th.
Cloudy in the morning.  the sun came out in the afternoon.  After breakfast in the car, we went for a drive with Mr. Notman who had come down for us with a carriage.   We first . . .