Old St. Andrews

Main

Title

Algonquin 1900 to 1913

Content

Item

Beacon
May 31/1900
First Algonquin ad for season:
"The Gem of the Atlantic Coast"
Ocean Bay, River and Mountain Scenery combine to make one of the most picturesque spots in the East.
Elegant appointments, cuisine and service.
Rooms with baths; steam elevators, orchestra; telegraph, golf course, etc. (18-hole golf course not mentioned)
Daily rail connections with Montreal, Boston and other points.
            A splendid flow of good water for the Algonquin hotel has been reached at a depth of 122 feet. The hotel has now two artesian wells from which to draw its summer supply. The new well was bored by T. R. Kent.

 

Beacon
June 7/1900
The CPR has furnished evidence of its interest in St. Andrews by sending two of its officials here to write up and illustrate the place. Last week, the town was honored with a visit from Mr. George Ham, of the advertising dept. of the CPR, and Mr. E. Clarke, its chief photographer. While Mr. Ham secured an abundance of material for a write-up, Mr. Clarke photographed many points with which to illustrate the pamphlet the company is proposing issuing. Among the points photographed were Fort Tipperary,  the Algonquin Hotel, a bit of the Bar road, a view from the end of the Bar road looking across towards Chamcook basin, Minister’s Island, Covenhoven, the golf links, the town from Joe’s Point, the Blockhouse and fort, the court house, churches, etc. About 25,000 pamphlets will be sent out within the next fortnight. These ought to attract many visitors to the place. [This is the panoramic brochure. cf. July 5/1900]

 

Beacon
June 21/1900
A steel tower, 50 feet high, is being erected alongside the boiler house of the hotel. This will form the resting place for a water tank fourteen feet high. With this large tank and with the abundant supply of water that the new well gives it, the hotel is not likely to suffer from a water famine in the future.

 

Beacon
July 5/1900
The C. P. R. booklet, descriptive of the summer beauties of SA, is a most attractive work. The letter press is written in a charming vein and describes very minutely the many attractions which St. Andrews has to offer the summer sojourner. The most artistic part of the pamphlet is the illustrations. These embrace a view of over three feet in length of the town from the Algonquin, also a number of smaller sketches, all of which are very truthfully portrayed. (Could this be the panorama Mr. Mallory showed me, or perhaps the four-picture panorama I have on disk?)

 

Beacon
July 12/1900
The elevated tank for the Algonquin hotel is now completed. [well sunk earlier alongside pumping station] From the town it looks like a thimble set upon a pole. Nevertheless it has a capacity of 7,000 gallons. W. H. Donovan connected the tank with the hotel on Friday last.
           

 

The Algonquin orchestra this season is composed of Miss Florence Percival, piano; Miss Blanche Percival, violin, and August Suck, cellist. The Misses Percival were at St. Andrews two years ago.

 

Beacon
July 4/1901
Algonquin Staff
Francis Howe, Resident manager
Wilbald Seiler, Book Keeper (soon to have several pitchers smashed over his head)
Mr. Warren, room Clerk
Mr. A. J. W. Hutton, Assistant do.
Miss Knight, operator
F. P. Colby, Chef
G. W. Walker Second chef
Harry Bennett, Head Waiter
Miss Oikle, Housekeeper
Hubert Stinson, Head Bellboy
Hugh Lewis, Engineer

 

Beacon
July 3/1902
The Algonquin hotel reopened its doors on Saturday last, with quite a respectable number of guests on the roll. Mr. Francis Howe, who has been acting manager for several seasons (Harvey recently returned from England where he had been convalescing from an illness), is again in charge. He has a capable staff, composed of the following:
Bookkeeper—R. L. Chase
Room Clerk—Ray Goodson
Key Clerk—Eugene Hacker
Cashier and tel. operator—Miss Rutherford
Head Waiter—Harry Bennett
Chef—Frank Colby
Second chef—Fred. McNally
Housekeeper—Mrs. Banks
Head laundress—Miss Kelly
Head Bellman—Hubert Stinson
Engineer—Hugh Lewis
Barber—James Halpin
Porter—Wm. James
Orchestra—Mr. Suck, leader, cello; Mrs. James Ritchie White, pianist; Miss Belcher, violinist.
(List of guest—mostly from Boston, some mentioned in Willa’s book; also Montreal notables such as Shaughnessy, E. N. Heney and family, Robert Meighen)

 

Beacon
July 31/1902
The Algonquin hotel has assumed all its summer gayety. The hops on Wednesdays and Saturday nights draw out many dancers, while tennis, croquet, ping pong and golf have numerous devotees. On Friday night a progressive euchre party is on the carpet. Considerable interest is manifested in the handicap mixed foursomes which is to begin on the golf links on Saturday morning. A large number have indicated their intention to take part.

 

Beacon
Oct 30/1902
In great gale smoke stack at Algonquin powerhouse carried away; like flagpole at Fort Tipperary. Much damage in town and offshore generally.

 

Beacon
Feb 5/1903
Improving the Algonquin
The CPR will spend $15,000 on it This Year
Other improvements in contemplation
The annual meeting of the Algonquin Hotel Co., Ltd. was held in Saint John on Saturday lat, when directors were chosen as follows: James Osborne, H. H. McLean, C. B. Foster, J. N. Sutherland, F. B. Edgecombe, James Murchie, F. H. Grimmer. Mr. Osborne was elected president of the new company; Mr. Grimmer, vice-president, and Mr. Mclean, secretary.
            The hotel was leased to Messrs. Harvey and Wood, of Boston, for the year, and it was decided to expend s sum of money in making repairs and improving the property. Eighteen bathrooms will be added all the rooms will be papers, the corridor (or palm room, as it will be henceforth called) will be extended back towards the street in the rear, and further means of exit provided in case of fire. The improvements will cost in the neighborhood of $15,000. The will be carried out under he supervision of Mr. J. P. O’Leary, who is engaging workmen for the purpose. Mr. Joseph Craig, of Saint John, will attend to the paper hanging.

 

Beacon
April 2/1903
The Algonquin Hotel—Supt. O’Leary is pushing the repairs on the Algonquin hotel. About forty rooms now remain to be papered and painted. The exterior of the hotel will also be painted; the prevailing color will be a light red. The contract for the plumbing work has been awarded to W. H. Donovan, of St. Stephen. The well sunk by Thomas Kent has reached a depth of 240 feet. There is good flow of water, but its sufficiency is yet to be determined.

 

Beacon
April 16/1903
The New Algonquin
A Glance at the Improvements Being Made
The renewed Algonquin, when it emerges from the hands of the artisans who are engaged upon it, will, indeed, be a thing of beauty and a joy to those who will be fortunate enough to be its guests. Though not enlarged to any great extent, the interior alterations have greatly added to its comfort and utility, while the safety of the guests has been ensured by the erection of several hundred feet of fire escapes, the addition of ladders and the like.
            On the ground floor, the first change noted is the erection of the palm room, 34 x 20 feet, on the northern end of the great hall-way. The eastern and northern outlooks in this room will be filled in with glass. When it is completed, and adorned with beautiful palms and other plants it will be an enchanting spot--an ideal lovers' retreat.
            The baggage-room on this floor has been extended twelve feet, with an opening to the elevator and also to the hall-way.
            The lavatory is now 12 x 18 feet in size, and will be supplied with the necessary conveniences in the most approved form. The billiard room will be reached by a hall-way alongside the lavatory.
            A newspaper or sales-stand, opening into the main hall, near the entrance to the ladies' parlor, is one of the new features of the hotel. This apartment is 9 x 15 feet.
            The nurses' dining hall on this floor has been enlarged, twelve feet more room having been added to it.
            The main dining room, the ladies' parlor and the hall will be painted. The general parlor on the western end of the hall-way is to be papered and painted and the ceiling kalsomined.
            The alterations on the second, third and fourth floors are largely in the way of new bath-rooms and the placing of rooms en suite. On the second floor, five new bath-rooms have been put in, making seven in all on this floor. A stairway has also been added in the western end of the corridor. Six new baths have been placed on the third floor. The fire doors have been placed on the stair landing between the second and third floors.
            Four bath rooms have been placed on the fourth floor. This floor was without such conveniences before. Though sixteen bath-rooms have been added, space has been so economized that only two guest rooms have been lost.
            A new boiler and boiler-house, and new smoke-stack are among the improvements. A well of 240 feet deep has also been sunk in the rear of the hotel. The tests have so far been satisfactory, so that an abundance of good water is assured.
            The hotel improvements have been carried out under the personal supervision of Mr. J. P. O'Leary, superintendent of hotels for the C. P. R. He has been ably seconded by his foreman Mr. Henry Pratt, of Saint John. The contract for the plumbing is being executed by W. H. Donovan, of St. Stephen. Mr. Stoop, of SA, is doing the interior painting and papering in a satisfactory manner. The exterior colors are now being chosen.

 

Laying out the Golf Links
Mr. George Cumming, of the Toronto Golf Club, was in St. Andrews on Wednesday and Thursday of last week, laying out an eighteen hole golf course for the Algonquin golf club. He is delighted with the St. Andrews links.

 

Beacon
April 30/1903
A lot of land for a pumping station for the Algonquin hotel was purchased by Mr. Osburn while in St. Andrews last week. The old pumping station at Katy's Cove occupies a portion of this lot.

 

In addition to other improvements contemplated in connection with the Algonquin hotel will be the erection of a large building in the rear which will serve as a dormitory for the help and a station for the gasoline and electric plant of the hotel.

 

Beacon
May 7/1903
The summer sojourners At St. Andrews in 1903 will find some changes for the better here. They will find amore beautiful Algonquin, a more extensive golf links, a brighter and more hopeful town. Though the CPR only took hold of St. Andrews as a summer resort a few weeks ago they have already done much towards improving it and extending its fame, and it is their intention to do more.

 

Beacon
May 14/1903
The acquirement of the Algonquin hotel by the CPR Company forges another link in the chain which binds this great corporation to St. Andrews. With such a connection, [acquisition of A by CPR] the future of SA--as a summer resort at least--is assured.

 

Beacon
July 2/1903
The New Algonquin
First Opening Under the Auspices of the CPR
The Algonquin hotel, brighter and more beautiful than ever, has opened its door for another season. From basement to roof the house has been thoroughly renovated and improved. Painters, mason and carpenters, with brush and hammer and trowel, have done their part in the general scheme of improvement. The plumber, too, in the addition of sixteen bath rooms has played no unimportant part. It needed but the deft fingers of woman to put the finishing touches—the touch artistic—to the whole scheme. This fell to the lot of the energetic housekeeper, Mrs. Banks, and her assistants, and they have left nothing undone in their departments. The rooms are neat and clean—clean wall, new line, new carpets and matting—everything bright and fresh. The parlors are artistically arranged. The grand dining rooms, elegant before, has been vastly improved by the addition of lace curtains to all the windows. The walls and ceiling have also passed through the hands of the painter. Snowy line, new silver and new dishes cover the tables, making everything attractive to the eye. In the culinary department changes of the better have also been made. The new palm room and news room are interesting features of the renewed hotel. So also is the new acetylene gas system by the hotel is lighted.
            Mr. Henry S. Houston, who was house manager of the Piney Woods hotel, Thomasville, Georgia, last winter, is the new resident manager. He is evidently a capable hotel man and has favorably impressed all who have met him. He will have as chief clerk Mr. Alexander Lightfoot, also from the Piney Woods. Many of the old staff will be found at their accustomed posts,--Mrs. Banks, the house-keeper; the chef, Mr. Colby; engineer Lewis; Mr. Halpin, who presides over the barber shop and billiard room; Hubert Stinson, the hustling chief of the bell staff, and others.
            Many of the old guests appear on the managers book this season— Prof. Smith, and family, Mr. Chas. Allen and niece, Mr. H. F. Windram and Miss Windram, Mrs. Benson and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Roger N. Allen, Mrs. C. R. Hosmer and daughter, Mrs. Heney, Miss McKenzie, Dr. Sweetland, Miss Sparks, Judge Street and family, Mr. and Mrs. C. J. Bonaparte, Mrs. J. H. Thompson and daughter and many others.

 

Beacon
Aug 13/1903
Algonquin water supply temporarily threatened but fixed by mechanical superintendent Orde of McAdam. "Both the wells at Katy's Cove and on the top of the hill are now in daily operation, so that all the fears of a water famine are now dispelled."

 

Beacon
March 10/1904
Summer Cottages to Be Built
The CPR has authorized the building of four new summer cottages on the hot of land to the north of the Algonquin hotel. The cottages will be neat structures and will doubtless be used in conjunction with the hotel. Mr. John P. O’Leary of Montreal will superintend their construction.

 

Beacon
May 12/1904
The Summer Cottages
A Word about the Doings Around the Algonquin Hotel
Algonquin avenue, with its row of handsome new cottages, is rapidly becoming a very sightly spot. In addition to the cottages, a crew of men with horses is busily engaged in grading the ground between the cottages and the road. The knoll near the hotel has been cut down and the earth and gravel carted to the farther end of Cottage Avenue.
            The cottages themselves are models of neatness and taste and are very comfortable looking inside and out.
            No. 1 cottage is one story in height and covers an area of 44 x 29 feet. It has four large bed-rooms, a bath room and a capacious reception room. There is a verandah 6 ft., 6 in. broad running along the front and southern side. This cottage is under lease.
            No. 2 cottage is also a one-story building, 40 x 26 ft. 6 in., with a 6 ft. 6 in. verandah along the front and northern side. It has four sleeping rooms, a bath room and reception room.
            No. 3 is a two-story building, 42 x 34 on the ground, with an 8 foot gallery. On the first floor there are four bedrooms, bath room and reception room. Upstairs there are three large bedchambers, with a large hall or landing, also a bath room. This cottage is under lease to Mr. C. R. Hosmer, of Montreal.
            No. 4 cottage is the largest of the lot. It is after the style of the Quebec country house. It covers an area of 43 ft. 6 in. x 29 feet, and has a 6 ft. 6 in. gallery on the front and two sides. On the first floor there are four bedrooms, a bath room and reception room, and it has the same number of rooms upstairs.
            Pipes for hot and cold water and gas are led from the hotel buildings. The plumbing is to be done by W. H. Donovan of Saint Stephen. All the cottages have very artistic fire places. They will be furnished in sumptuous style. Mr. J. P. O’Leary, of Montreal, has been superintending the erection of the buildings and has pushed them along rapidly. He has a first-class foreman in Mr. Robert Clark, of Montreal.
            In addition to the work on the cottages some slight improvements are to be made on the Algonquin hotel. The verandah will be floored, the smoking and reading room turned into one room, and a billiard table put in the room downstairs.
            A pumping station will be erected at the new well that is now being bored by Mr. Kent.
            The Hopkins cottage will be occupied this season by Mr. Egan and family of Ottawa.
            “The Anchorage,” which is under lease to a wealthy American for the summer, has been brightened up with a coat of white paint. A wood furnace has also been added.

 

Beacon
June 2/1904
Milton L. Hersey, city and provincial analyst, says of Algonquin spring water: “A careful sanitary analysis clearly demonstrated that the water is free from organic matter, is odorless, is very low in ammonia and free from contamination. . . . Algonquin spring water is of exceptional purity, and is both saline and slightly alkaline. It is improved by aeration and on account of the small quantity of chloride of sodium (common salt) in it, it can be blended with other beverages without imparting any foreign taste as do many saline waters.”
           
Manager Harvey, of the Algonquin Hotel, was in town on Saturday looking after hotel affairs. He is well pleased with the appearance of the hotel this year and with the outlook for summer business. Mr. Harvey returned to Boston by the night train. The hotel will open on the 29th of June.
           
Beacon
June 9/1904
Telephone lines for the Algonquin cottages.

 

Algonquin Hotel in Equity Court
In the equity court, St. John, on Tuesday, Judge Barker delivered judgment in the case of Sir Thomas Shaughnessy vs. Algonquin Hotel Company and Imperial Trust Company. This was an action brought by the plaintiff for the foreclosure of a certain mortgage with a view of perfecting his title to the Algonquin Hotel property, which he acquired about a year ago. the Algonquin Hotel Company in order to raise the money necessary for the construction and equipment of the hotel at St. Andrews issued 375 debentures, each for the sum of $100, which were secured by a mortgage on the real and personal property of the company to the defendant, the Imperial Trust Co. The debentures are all held by Sir Thomas Shaughnessy.
            The court ordered that the amount due the plaintiff on the debentures, including interest up to Feb. 1, 1904, be assessed in his favor. The mortgaged property is ordered to be sold in one parcel, with leave to plaintiff to bid. If the plaintiff does not become purchaser the proceeds of the sale are to be distributed as follows:

 

  1. Payment of costs; 2. $69,220 to the trustees; 3. Plaintiff’s cost to be taxed; 4. Plaintiff to receive sum of $54, 228 and interest. 5. Balance to go to the Hotel Company.

Beacon
July 7/1904
Not the least of the improvements in connection with the Algonquin is the cottage system that has been established. As a beginning four elegant cottages have been erected. These cottages, luxuriously furnished, are lighted and watered from the hotel system. To meet all possible demands, another artesian well was sunk this summer, so that here will always be an abundance of the purest of water.
            Among Algonquin improvements--four cottages, new well, new billiard tables, and “the erection of a chalet over the Algonquin mineral spring, and the providing of drinking taps for public use. This act of thoughtfulness is duly appreciated.”
            Mr. Houston resident manager.
            Many of the old staff will be found at their former posts: --Messrs. Lightfoot and Bryant at the clerk’s desk; Messrs. Colby and McNally, in the chef’s quarters; Mr. James Halpin, in the billiard parlor and tonsorial rooms; Mr. F. W Murray in the head waiter’s position; Mr. Hubert Stinson, as chief bellman; Mr. Hugh Lewis, as engineer, and Mrs. Banks as housekeeper, Mr. P. McLeod, of Boston, is telegraph operator. The orchestra is composed of Mr. Suck, cello, leader; Miss Winn, violin; Miss Day piano.

 

Beacon
Aug 4/1904
A Letter to the Bell Boys
From the Guests’ Point of View—“Old Bachelor” is Sarcastic
My Dear Young Friends
After a week of reflection, I have decided to address you on a subject which naturally has not given you much thought. You are still at the stating place in life, and though each may have dreams of hat the future has in store for him, none of you have “arrived”—and so, without help, can have no idea of the suffering and profanity you cause. If you could put yourselves in the places of the nervous, weary, overworked, brain-gagged men and women, who visit summer resorts in hopes of rest an sleep, you would not make life such a burden to them from daylight until, through your utter thoughtlessness, they are obliged to give up hope of a little more rest and forgetfulness. The cheerful whistle may give vent to the joy of your soul. It also serves to awaken a dozen in your vicinity, and they do not whistle. They too often say that which endanger their souls—think of the responsibility. Stringing pitchers on a broom handle may be very amusing to you, but the man who has had no sleep till near morning, fails to see in that light. He would like to see you string something more substantial than a broom handle. Boots are very useful articles in their place but stamping through hotel corridor early in the morning they are not nearly so soothing to a nervous man as felt slippers (which are not expensive). To be sure, when all is said, one house maid with tin dust pan, carefully placed at an angle which will bring it rattling down at every movement; can cause more discomfort than tell bell boys, and little noisy flirtation between man and maid means temporary madness to a sleepy man or woman. I am convinced that the first summer resort conducted on the principle that people who leave their busy lines in the hot city for rest and quietness, must have it, will bring in an enormous fortune to its proprietor. It only means a quiet voiced, felt shod staff, rubber slips about the door casing, to prevent the endless clacking of closing doors, some method o calling up early traveller beside the too noisy knuckles and rubber or wooden dust pans. Voiceless women I suppose we shall never have. Now me dear lads try to grow into enlightened hotel proprietors with improved hotels and in the mean time mend your man ways.
--Old Bachelor

 

Beacon
Aug 25/1904
Algonquin Board of Directors
William Downie, H. H. McLean, C. R. Foster, J. N. Sutherland, George Hodge, F. B. Edgecombe, F. H. Grimmer.

 

Beacon
Sept 1/1904
The Algonquin hotel will close on Monday next, after a fairly successful season. Resident Manager Houston has given general satisfaction, and, should he return another season, will be warmly welcomed.

 

Beacon
March 30/1905
The Summer Outlook
SA was favored with a visit last week from Mr. Hayter Reed, manager in chief of the CPR Hotels, and Mr. John P. O’Leary, CPR hotel superintendent. They came here for the purpose of looking over the hotel and arranging for any necessary repairs. Very little will be done in this direction this year. The palm room will be painted an a few other small repairs done. Mr. Stoop will do the painting.
            Mr. Reed told The Beacon that the general hotel outlook was good. He had no doubt that the Algonquin would share in the general prosperity that the other hotels of the CPR were enjoying. As this was practically the first year for the company to manage the Algonquin no alterations would be made, but it was altogether likely that improvements would be made the succeeding year. The hotel will open about June 15 under the managership of Mr. Houston, who has been here for two or three season’s past.
            While here last week, Mr. O’Leary arranged for the building of another Golf Club House on Cedar Lane. He expected to do some cottage building this spring but it is now too late of this season.

 

Beacon
June 15/1905
The opening of the Algonquin hotel under the direct management of the CPR is an event worthy of recognition and one fraught with great possibilities to the town. It is to be hoped that the anticipations of the company with respect to the future of the place as a summer resort will be abundantly realized. That St. Andrews possesses many advantages in this respect is very clearly demonstrated by the splendid class of people, Canadians as well as Americans, who have selected this beauty spot for their summer abiding place.

 

A new water tank of 3000 gallon capacity is being placed in the Algonquin hotel. (note the “in.”)
New golf club house built by Angus Rigby now ready for occupation.

 

Algonquin Hotel to Open Under C. P. R. Management
The Canadian Pacific Railway does nothing by halves. It has established a trans-continental railway in Canada that has no parallel; it has inaugurated a steamship system on the Atlantic and the Pacific that has few, if any, equals; it has provided a system of hotels that will compare favorably with the best modern hotels anywhere.
            This year, for the first time, the Algonquin hotel of SA will come under the direct control of the C. P. R., and as success has attended the efforts of the railway company in every other venture they have undertaken it is reasonable to expect a like success so far as the hotel is concerned.
            Mr. H. S. Houston, resident manager of the Algonquin, has been in town with several members of his staff for the past week arranging for the opening of the hotel on the 20th inst.
            To the Beacon, Mr. Houston stated that the outlook for the season is all that could be desired.
            “Our bookings,” said he, “are larger than ever before in the history of the hotel. They include not only many of the old patrons of the hotel from Canada and the United States but many new ones as well. All the cottages in connection with the hotel have been leased, and if there had been a few more we could have found tenants for them.
            “Does the Company propose any additions in the near future?” Well, that I cannot say. I presume a good deal will depend upon the result of this season. If we have a fair measure of success I have no doubt that the cottage system will be enlarged upon, as the cottages have been found to be very desirable adjuncts. The erection of more cottages means the providing of larger water powers and possibly the introduction of an electric lighting plant, as the present plant [acetylene] is now running to its full capacity.”
            The Algonquin will open this season with many of the old officials at their former positions. Mrs. H. E. banks continues house keeper; Hubert Stinson, head bellman; James Halpin and Fred. Lyon, barbers and billiard markets; James Morrison, porter, and H. H. Bryant, chef clerk. The orchestra of last season will also be here. Its members are Mr Auguste Suck, Miss Day and Miss Winn. The new officials are W. J. Saunders, Montreal, second clerk; Miss Ethel Parsons, at news stand; A, B. Currier, from Hotel Empire, Boston), head waiter; Richard Frazer, Rockingham, Portsmouth), chef; J. E. Nielsen Parker House, Boston), baker, Ira Brown, McAdam, engineer.. . . The hotel advertises to keep open from June 20 to Sept 15.

 

Beacon
June 29/1905
Monday’s Montreal Pullman had as passenger lady Van Horne, Lady Shaughnessy Beautifying the Algonquin Hotel--Thanks to the exquisite taste of Mrs. Hayter Reed, C. P. R. hotel superintendent, the interior of the Algonquin hotel has been greatly beautified. The palm room, which greets the eye of the guest immediately upon entering, is particularly effective in its arrangement and decoration. A color scheme of red and green, with large posters pictures of English hunting scenes, has been carried out, and the effect is very pleasing. In front of the fire place against the wall is a broad old-fashioned, square-armed lounge, with seat and cushions of red, just such a one as might grace one of the baronial halls of old England. The palms are very effectively displayed on wooden stands built after the “arts and crafts” style, and the pieces in these stands are mortised together and held in place by wooden pins and wedges, in place of nails. The floor of the parlor room is covered with warm rugs of green, while its windows are curtained in red. In the parlor the color scheme is blue and green, the furniture and curtains harmonizing beautifully. The walls have been hung with very attractive pictures. The card room will be in red, and comfortable lounges disposed here and there. The dining room appointments have also been beautified by the addition of candelabra. Outside the hotel, along the edge of the verandah, flower boxes will be places between the rail panels. On the lawn, a clock golf is to be added. This game is played somewhat after the manner of ordinary golf, with the exception that the holes are arranged as the figures on a clock dial.

 

Guests at Algonquin: of Montreal, Mrs. Hayter Reed, Mrs. Douglas Armour, Mr. and Mrs. F. W. Thompson, Miss Thompson, Miss Alice Thompson, Miss Helen Thompson, Senator Mackay, Mrs. Mackay. Of Liverpool—Miss Mildred Dobell. Of St. Augustine, Florida—Dr. and Mrs. Andrews Anderson, two children and governess. Of Boston—W. J. Windram, Miss Windram, Mrs. R. N. Allen, Miss Allen.

 

Beacon
July 6/1905
Algonquin ad: under direct management of CPR stressed. Telegraph, telephone, bathrooms en suite, spring water at tables, bathing, boating, fresh and salt fishing, golf. See photocopy.
Fresh and salt baths no longer mentioned--still no hay fever.

 

Beacon
Aug 24/1905
The Algonquin Hotel—A Successful Season
“This has been the best season the hotel has ever enjoyed,” said Mr. Houston, resident manager, to The Beacon, on Tuesday. “The people came earlier, they are staying later and we have had a larger number of guests than ever before. We intend closing the hotel on the 15th of September.”

 

Beacon
June 7/1906
Bowling green 90 feet square being laid out in front of Algonquin.
Manager Allerton from Montreal

 

Beacon
Jan 17/1907
The CPR Company have in view the extension of the Algonquin hotel. Just what the enlargement will amount to, Supt. Hayter Reed, who came down from Montreal on Saturday, was not prepared to say. A survey of the ground is now being made, and when this is completed he will be better able to say what will be done. The CPR have now sixteen hotels in their system, and it is their intention to make large expenditures in further developing this interest. The Hotel Frontenac at Quebec will be also doubled, at an expenditure of a million dollars or more. At Lake Louise, at Banff, and at other places the hotels are being greatly enlarged.

 

Beacon
July 11/1907
The well at the Algonquin, which was sunk by Thomas R. Kent, got a good flow of water at 242 feet [must be fifth well]. 300 feet away Sir Thomas Shaughnessy went down 823 feet and got a very scanty supply.

 

Beacon
June 11/1908
At the Algonquin a clay tennis court has been laid under the direction of Mr. Peacock, golf expert. The bowling green has likewise been improved. A new ice cream plant has been added, also additional machinery in the laundry. At the Inn the trees have been trimmed out so that the hotel guests will be able to get glimpses of the water. The grounds have been made more attractive.
            The staff of the Algonquin will be composed of:--A. Allerton, manager; Mrs. Banks, house keeper; H. H. Bryant, jr., chief clerk; Miss Nellie Gardiner, stenographer; J. S. Hobbs, chef; Herbert O. Bunting, steward; Jas. H. Morrison, porter; Lester Struthers, head bellman; Miss E. Cummings, news clerk; Irving N. Linnell, head waiter; Thomas Hogan, barber, R. A. McDonald, engineer; Miss Margery, assistant house keeper; Miss Mellen, store keeper. At the Inn, Mrs. Allerton will continue as house-keeper.
The bookings for both hotels are larger than every before. . . .”

 

At cottages: “1, Henry Josephs, 2, Mrs. John Hope, 3, Mrs. H. S. Holt, 4, Mr. F. W. Thompson. Guests at Inn listed. Mrs. Banks, housekeeper, and staff of assistants arrived on train from Boston

 

Beacon
April 22/1909
Algonquin Improvements
Engineer Brown has been busy lately taking the engine and laundry machinery down preparatory to removing it to the new building. He has his work well advanced. The contract of the new laundry building has been awarded to C. E. Deakin of Montreal, who engages to have it ready for use when the hotel opens on June 19. The new building will be about 165 x 25 feet on the ground. Part of it will be two storeys in height and part one storey. The lower floor will be supplied with the most up to date machinery. Upstairs here will be fourteen sleeping rooms for laundry help. The outside walls of the building will be of concrete. Mr Jago, of the CPR staff, Montreal, is here in the interests of the building and will supervise its construction. Mr Dietrich, of Montreal, is wiring the hotel for electric lights.

 

Beacon
June 3/1909
Algonquin Hotel Company will at once proceed with the erection of additional bathing houses at Katy’s Cove. Two buildings containing 24 compartments will be put up by Mr. Leo Ross. The beach will also be sanded.

 

Beacon
June 24/1909
The Summer Hotels. The Algonquin and the Inn open Once Again.
“Twenty years old today,” remarked Manager Allerton at the Algonquin hotel smilingly, on Monday last, “and the hotel is bigger and better and more prosperous than ever.” For the twentieth time the Hotel unlocked its doors to the public and unfurled its banner to the breeze, on Saturday. There were no guests to serve on what day, but the Hotel was ready for them, from basement o roof. Since then guest have been dropping in, and before long the hotel will be crowded. The manager states that never before have there been in the history of the house so many bookings as this season. He says he has had to refuse dozens of applications. The interior of the hotel is looking very beautiful and very artistic this season, with its new carpets on the stairways—by the way there are 880 yards of pure Wilton on the stairs—and its other new furnishings. The green room, the red-room, the splendid dining hall, the palm room, every part of the house in fact, are as clean as wax. There is nothing to offend the eye or any other sense, but everything is attractive and fascinating.
            The hotel has been wired for electric lights and these will be turned on about the firs of July. The power station is well advanced, the engine, boilers and dynamos are in position, the big smokestack was put in place on Monday and in another ten days fire will be started and the lights turned on. In the meantime the old form of acetylene gas will be used. The old laundry is also being used
            One external improvement to the Hotel is the fire escapes which have just been added. These were very necessary and should have been put on years ago.
            The grounds about the hotel have been brightened up with flower beds and are looking very attractive.
            the Algonquin staff will be composed of the following—A. Allerton, manager; Spencer Farmer, Chief Clerk; Wm. Woods, Steward; Mrs. H. E. Banks, housekeeper; Jas. S. Hobbs, chef. Irving N. Linnell, Head Waiter. James H. Morrison, Head Porter. Lester Struthers, Head Bellman. Thomas R. Hogan, tonsorial artist. Lillian McEleney, parlor Maid. Miss Horsnell, Stenographer. Miss Eva Barton, News Clerk. Fred. Donald, telegraph Operator. Ira Brown, Engineer and electrician. August Suck and ladies, orchestra. The Algonquin cottages will be tenanted by the following Montreal people—Henry Josephs, Percy P. Cowans, H. S. Hold and f. W. Thompson.
            The Inn near the Railway station has been open for several days and has had several guests among the first being Mr. and Mrs. Jas. E. Ganong and Prof. and Mrs. Ganong.

 

New carpets, “by the way, there are 880 yards of pure Wilton on the stairs”
Green room, red room, palm room
Electric lights to be turned on July 1 or when powerhouse ready. “The power station is well advanced, the engine boilers and dynamos are in position, the big smokestack was put in place on Monday, and in another ten days the fires will be started and the lights turned on. In the meantime the old form of acetylene gas will be used.”

 

“One external improvement to the hotel are the fire escapes which have just been added. These were very necessary and should have been put on years ago.”

 

Beacon
July 22/1909
Algonquin Hotel to be Enlarged
St. John Standard—that the seacoast of NB is becoming more and more appreciated as a summer resort because of its refreshing sea breezes, its absence from intense heat and its beautiful scenery, is well illustrated by the fact that the CPR have decided to add two large wings to their splendid summer hotel at SA, the Algonquin, in order to provide for the increasing demand for rooms. Architects have already prepared the plans for these wings. They will be built of concrete and made fire proof. It is intended to make them more elaborate than the present accommodation. The building of these wings will necessitate a number of changes in the arrangement of the hotel. The wings will meet the main building the end in which parlor is now situated. This parlor will be done away with, a new office will take its place and a new parlor will be provided. It is planned to have the buildings ready next spring and when complete they’ll about double the size of the present hotel.

 

Beacon
Sept 16/1909
The Algonquin hotel has closed its doors on Tuesday, after the most successful season in its history. In anticipation of greater business in the future, preparations are now being made by the C. P. R. Company for enlarging the hotel. Mr. Robert Clark, who had charge of the additions to the Hotel Frontenac, Quebec, arrived here last Thursday and is laying out the ground for the new wing which will be completed in time for next season. Mr. Clark will at once proceed with the erection of the foundation. The superstructure, the plans for which are not quite complete, will probably be built by tender. The addition will give the hotel 100 more rooms. The construction of these works will provide employment for a large number of men and teams.

 

St. Croix Courier
Sept 23/1909
Men are in demand for the work of enlarging the Algonquin at St. Andrews. It is reported that the new building will cost $100,000 and that it will practically make the present building an annex to the main hotel.

 

Beacon
Oct 21/1909
New Algonquin wing laid out.
T. R. Kent, Well-borer, last week cleaned out and tested the artesian well from the which the Algonquin hotel has been procuring is supply lately. It yielded 1350 gallons per hour for a period of 36 hours.

 

St. Croix Courier
Jan 6/1910
St. Andrews Booming
By Mayor DeWolfe: During the year five residences have been completed at a cost of $50,000. Several residences have been enlarged at a cost of $5000. The Algonquin Hotel concrete building for power and other purposes was completed at a cost of $20,000. The Algonquin concrete annex (at work on a third storey), $35,000. Two new residences are being constructed at a cost of $23,000. A deep water wharf is completed for the CPR at a cost of $20,000. A deep water public wharf is completed at a cost of $16,000. Indications are that several first-class residences will be built during the coming season and improvements on business properties. Water supply and lighting are being considered.

 

Beacon
Jan 27/1910
Artesian well tests at Algonquin. One yielded 144,000 on 24-hour test. Shaughnessy’s 16,000. “The new well at the power station has been pronounced a failure, but good results are expected from the well on the site of the hill overlooking Katy’s Cove.”

 

Some very satisfactory tests have been made of the artesian wells at the Algonquin hotel by Mr. Kent. The well immediately in the rear of the hotel yielded 144,000 gallons on a 24 hours test, and the Shaughnessy well, 15,400 gallons for 24 hours. The new well at the power station has been pronounced a failure, but goof results are expected from the well on the side of the hill overlooking Katy’s cove.

 

Beacon
April 7/1910
The Algonquin hotel annex is being hastily pushed forward. Last week interior plastering was begun. . . . The new wing gives 96 additional bedrooms, and 56 more bathrooms. In every room there will be steam heat and hot and cold water. Will open June 20 to Sept 30. Manager Allerton.

 

Beacon
April 21/1910
Enlarged Algonquin Hotel
Contractors Say Everything will be Finished by June 1
A Big Noise--a Great Big Noise--a noise as if of “something doing,”--comes from the eminence overlooking the town. It has been coming ever since last September, when Mr. Robert Clark, representing the C. P. R. hotel department, laid the foundation for the concrete addition to the Algonquin hotel. It increased appreciably when a few weeks later the contract for the superstructure was awarded to Mr. C. E. Deakin, on Montreal. But the Noise was on in earnest when F. J. Jago and Company, of Montreal, was given the concrete sub-contract. Then was heard a din only equalled by the tower of Babel,--carpenters hammering forms together and putting them in place; teams hauling oceans of gravel from the beaches; steam mixers turning cement, gravel and water into the finished article; barrow men hustling the liquid cement on to the walls; steam elevators lifting men and barrows as the walls began to leave the ground. Nor did the Noise cease when the three stories of concrete walls were erected. Then Mr. Deakin’s carpenters fell into line, and under the direction of such experienced men as William Stewart and Joseph Wilde, the roof timbers were hurried into position.
            The roofing was done by Mr. Reed, of Montreal; the plumbing is being put in by Ald. Thos. O’Connell, of Montreal; the mason-work by Mr. Charles Horsnell, of SA; the electric connections by Mr. W. M. Dietrich, of Montreal. The mill-work came from the wood-working factory of Haley and Son, St. Stephen. Messrs. Mason, SA, have the contract for the spring mattresses.
            Mr. Robert Clark is looking after the work in the C. P. R. interest. There is a great deal of work yet to be done about the building, but June 1 will see it pretty well completed. The annex is connected with the old building at the north-east corner. It runs north between 80 and 90 feet until it strikes a bay, then it angles off in a westerly direction until it connects with the 80 foot water tower. The addition will give 96 sleeping rooms and 56 bathrooms, with hot and cold water in every room.
            It is said that next September a further concrete addition will be made, with the object of having the entire hotel fire-proof and of a permanent character.

 

Beacon
May 26/1910
“Last week the big steel tank was placed on the tower in the rear of the new wing.”

 

Beacon
June 23/1910
The New Algonquin
Opening Marks Another Era in Summer Resort
This year of grace--1910--marks another step forward in the summer resort history of SA, in that it has witnessed the opening of an enlarged and more permanent Algonquin hotel.
            The old Algonquin is a wooden structure, and, of course, lacks the permanency of stone, or brick, or concrete. The new wing, which was opened to the public for the first time on Monday last, is composed of concrete. It is three stories in height, and contains within its massive walls 96 additional sleeping rooms and 56 new bath-rooms. This in itself is quite a large hotel establishment.
            The old wing, with its magnificent dining room, parlor, drawing room, bath-rooms and guest chambers, still remains, but it is the intention of the Hotel Company to gradually work into a concrete structure, so that every possible element of instability would be removed. To build the new wing cost the Company $160,000, and to furnish it will require at least $36,000 more. Mr. C. E. Deakin, of Montreal, was the general contractor. He sub-let the concrete work to the Messrs. Jago, of Montreal; the plastering to Charles Horsnell, of SA; the plumbing to Thos. O’Connell, of Montreal; and the electric fixtures to W. N. Dietrich, of Montreal. Mr. Robert Clark was the C. P. R. superintendent. . . .  Manager Allerton is looking forward to a good hotel season, notwithstanding that over one hundred of last year’s guests are booked for the continent this season. The staff of 1910 will be composed of:--
Andrew Allerton, Manager
Spencer Farmer, Chief Clerk
Miss Nora Gaynor, Stenographer
William Wood, Steward
Mrs. H. E. Banks, First Housekeeper
Miss Fisher, Second housekeeper
J. S. Hobbs, Chef
Cecil W. Clark, Head Waiter
Miss Hazel Maloney, Tel. Operator
Miss Eva Burton, News Clerk
Thomas Hogan, hairdresser
Ira Brown, Chief Engineer
Fred Purton, Second Engineer
Robert Tennant, Head doctor?
Lester Struthers, Head Bellman
Miss Gately, Head Laundress
Several changes have been made in the rooms on the ground floor, with a view to increased comfort and convenience. The general scheme of the drawing room is a most beautiful landscape tapestry effect, which harmonizes most charmingly with the external landscape. All the furnishings of this room are of the same order. The chairs are of antique pattern, made of an old “rush” chair, which was passed down from a previous generation to Mrs. Hayter Reed, who supervised the hotel decorations. Adjoining the drawing room a gentlemen’s smoking room has been provided. Another room on the ground floor has been turned into a very comfortable ladies’ toilet. The gentlemen’s writing-room has been made over into a lounging room. Writing rooms for ladies and gentlemen have been provided in the rooms opposite the news stand.

 

Beacon
June 23/1910
Canada’s Summer Port
The opening of the enlarged Algonquin hotel is an event of considerable importance to St. Andrews. If the great advantages we have to offer as a winter port for the Dominion are not receiving the recognition that they deserve, it is at least satisfactory to know that the standing of St. Andrews as the great summer port of Canada is recognized and assured. The enlargement of the C. P. R.’s mammoth summer hotel and the promise that is held out of a still further enlargement indicate the absolute confidence that the heads of this great railway corporation entertain for the future of the town as a summer resort and place the position of St. Andrews in this respect beyond peradventure.”

 

Beacon
Aug 25/1910
The Algonquin Orchestra is arranging to give a grand concert in Andraeleo Hall on Sept 1st.

 

Beacon
Sept 8/1910
On water question: the artesian well system at Algonquin has proven to be insufficient. The CPR’s engineer has been here, looked over the proposal for Chamcook, and departed hence. Will know in a few days whether Shaughnessy will cede to wishes of town or opt for summer service alone. Should Company submit proposal to town taxpayers should carefully consider advantages of permanent system--listed here.

 

St. Croix Courier
Sept 8/1910
The cups given by the Algonquin hotel were played for last week and were won by Miss E. Smith and Mr. Henry. The ladies foursome was played on Wed. and was won by the Misses McLaren of Saint John, who are occupying the Anchorage this season.

 

St. Croix Courier
Sept 15/1910
The Algonquin closes on Thursday of this week. Several of the guests will tarry a little longer at other hotels.

 

Beacon
May 18/1911
When Manager Allerton, of the Algonquin hotel, was asked by the Beacon as to the season’s prospects for the big summer hotel, he replied with more than usual emphasis and enthusiasm. “We will have a tremendous rush this season. Never in the history of the hotel have there been so many applications for rooms as there have been this year. Indeed, there are so many that I find myself unable to answer them all. They are coming from every quarter--east and west, north and south. Almost every room on the three upper floors of the new wing has been taken. In some cases, we have several people after the same suite of rooms.”

 

Beacon
May 25/1911
Chamcook Lake Water
Now connected with Algonquin Hotel
A very important event in the history of St. Andrews occurred on /Saturday last, when the last pipe in the water works system was laid at Chamcook Lake and the waters of this beautiful lake were of for the first time brought within immediate reach of the town.
            The construction of this water works system was begun last Fall by the CPR, the contract with Messrs. Joseph McVay and Son, of SS, requiring it to be completed during the present month. Mr. Hugh Lumsden, an engineer of large experience, planned and carried out the work. The primary object of this system was to provide an abundant supply of good, pure, water for the Algonquin hotel and cottages, and to give connection with the town, in case a satisfactory arrangement can be entered into. It is hoped and expected that this will be done.
            An analysis of the water, which was made before the work was begun, shows it to be of remarkable purity and softness. It is absolutely free from bacteria and is about as perfect a drinking water as can be procured anywhere.
            The pipe enters Chamcook Lake at his south-western extremity, a few rods north of the track. An eight inch pipe follows the course of the track for 8,500 feet, and then by the aid of a 40 h. p. gasoline engine is forced up the hill, a distance of something like 7,900 feet, through Senator MacKay’s woods (crossing the Saint John road a few rods north of the Catholic cemetery) to a concrete reservoir on the top of the hill overlooking the town. This reservoir has a capacity of 250,000 gallons. Provision has been made for its enlargement should the Town make a permanent contract with the Company. From the reservoir the water is brought in by gravitation in a 12 inch main, following the highway almost the entire distance. A 10 inch pipe, 1100 feet long, carried the water to the hotel. The entire distance traversed by the pipes is about 23,250 feet.

 

Beacon
June 22/1911
Hydrants for fire protection will be erected in front of the Algonquin hotel.
CPR Hotels—Summer hotels have opened doors for 1911
The Algonquin hotel is now in full swing, with good prospects of a banner season. The staff of the hotel this season is as follows:--
A. Allerton, Manager; S. Farmer, Chief Clerk; Rupert Preston, Second Clerk; Miss Gaynor, stenographer; Philip g. Brockington, Steward; James S. Hobbs, Chief; Mrs. H. E. Banks, Housekeeper; Mrs. Magury, Assistant Housekeeper; John A. McLean, Head Waiter; Robert Tennant, Head Porter; L. B Struthers, Head Bellman; Miss Mary Sately, head Laundress; Ira Brown, Engineer; Miss Keating, Telegrapher; Thomas Hogan, hair Dresser; L. Moser, Ladies’ Hair Dresser; Miss Temple, Manicurist.

 

Orchestra: August Suck, cello; Miss Ames, pianist; Percy Levene, violinist. Mrs. Levene has won the first medal for violin at Boston university.

 

R. G. Christie, President of the Christie-Browne Company, Toronto, and family will occupy No. 4 cottage.

 

Beacon
July 27/1911
A splendid array of silver cups for prizes adorns the mantle shelf over the Algonquin fire-place. They include trophies presented by Miss Greene, Mr. F. W. Thompson and Sir Thomas and Lady Shaughnessy. [Golf] [photo of golf cups from 1924 in CPR archives; I have a photocopy]

 

Miss Ames and Mr. Paul Leveen, of the Algonquin orchestra, are holding select dancing party sin Paul’s hall, on Thursday evenings. The first party will beheld tonight.

 

Beacon
Feb 8/1912
The Algonquin hotel electric plant will be enlarged, so as to provide light for the summer cottages as well as the hotel.

 

St. Croix Courier
March 7/1912
It is understood that Andrew Allerton, who has so successfully managed the Algonquin Hotel for several seasons past, will be the manager of the big hotel that is now under construction for the CPR at Calgary. Mr. Allerton will be succeeded in the Algonquin by his brother William, who is now manager of the Kent House at Montmorenci Falls. Andrew Allerton will probably be in St. Andrews until the closer of next season—Beacon.

 

Beacon
March 28/1912
Homes of SA
Distinguished Musician
August Suck, of the Algonquin Orchestra, Celebrates his 75th Anniversary.
Boston Herald. When the Boston Theatre was first opened, Sept. 11, 1854, with a double bill, “The Rivals,” and “The Loan of a Lover,” the first orchestral note was played by a lad of 17, who sounded the opening notes of the “Wilhelm Tell” overture on his cello.
            Fifty years and one day later the semi—centennial of the theatre was observed with a performance of “The Wizard of Oz” and the same man, no longer a lad, but a musician at the high tide of a successful life, and his artistic powers, again played in the orchestra.
            This man was August Suck, who celebrated his 75th birthday yesterday at his home in Roxbury.
            Mr. Suck, who was a member of the Boston Theatre orchestra for nearly 40 years, and of the Boston Symphony Orchestra under Henchel and Gericke, retired nominally from active musical life some time ago; but he still plays, teaches, arranges music and keeps in lively tough with the musical activities of his friends. He was born in Bremen, German, inherited his love of music from his father, who was a gifted flutiest.
            His first public appearance in America was at the old Howard Athenaeum, as first cellist in “Ernani”; and it was not long after that he played at the opening night of the Boston Theatre, with which he was connected for so many years. He obtained leave of absence to return to Europe for study; and it was in Switzerland that the met the young girl who he afterward married. Mrs. Suck is Swiss by birth, but is really, as she says, cosmopolitan. She speaks several languages and is interested in playwriting.
            Mr. Suck, although born in Germany, considers himself a good American, and one of his heroes in Gen. Grant. Te tells entertainingly his reminiscences of Wagner, Theodore Thomas, John Strauss—in the days when the name of Strauss was identified with waltzes, and not tone poems—and of his own experiences in the early days of the Symphony Orchestra.
            Mr. Suck celebrated his birthday yesterday, quietly, with only members of his family and a few intimate friends as guests; but today he and Mrs. Suck are keeping open house. They have many friends among both the older and the younger generation of musicians in the city.

 

Beacon
April 18/1912
When the new kitchen wing of the Algonquin hotel is completed--as it will be about the 24th of May--this summer hotel will possess one of the finest kitchens on the continent. It will occupy about 130 x 40 feet, and will be supplied with every modern convenience. The floors below the kitchen will be utilized for female help, for servants’ dining room, etc. A Dutch oven will be placed in the basement. The floors above the kitchen will give 30 additional rooms for guests. The old wooden wing will be utilized this season for quarters for the help and for other purposes. It is expected that it will be removed this fall.

 

Beacon
May 30/1912
The Algonquin Hotel Company has offered to pay the cost of running a sewer from the corner of Mary and Parr street to Edward, giving the hotel connection with the sewer that is now being laid on that street. [town council will meet to consider proposal]

 

Beacon
June 20/1912
A bigger and better Algonquin was thrown open to the public on Saturday last, by Manager Allerton. Since the hour of the hotel’s closing last fall, workmen have been employed in erecting and fitting up the five-storey kitchen annex which now forms part of this popular summer hostelry. Besides supplying many additional rooms, this annex gives the hotel one of the finest kitchens on the American continent. Immense ranges and ovens have been put in and a cold storage plant has been installed which of itself has cost over $7,000. Other improvements have been made throughout the hotel, amply justifying the declaration that the Algonquin of 1912 is a bigger and better hotel than ever before. But what has been accomplished in the way of changes and additions since last year is only a patch to what is contemplated in the approaching Fall.
            the Algonquin Hotel staff this season is composed of:--A. Allerton, Manager; Spencer Farmer, chief clerk; Mr. Francour, Second Clerk; Miss Hewitt, Stenographer; Miss Cole, News Clerk; Mrs. H. E. Banks, Housekeeper; Miss Granahan, Asst. Housekeeper; William Allerton, Steward; Jas. S. Hobbs, Chef; Jacob Sessler, Chief Baker; Ira Brown, Chief Engineer; Richard Scott, Second Engineer; Jas. A. McLean , Head Waiter; George, McLean, Second Head Waiter; Miss Agnes McDonald, Head laundress; Robert Tennant, Head Porter; Lester B. Struthers, Head Bellman; Thomas R. Hogan,
Chief Wine Clerk; Mir. Henderson, Barber; Joseph Harrison, head Gardener; Miss McDonald, Telegraph Operator; Miss Reeves, manicurist; August Suck, Cello Leader; Miss S. Ames, Pianist; Percy Leveen, Violinist.

 

St. Croix Courier
July 25/1912
An accident occurred on Sunday night to the lighting plant on Sir Thomas Shaughnessy’s grounds. The explosions were very heavy, causing 14 windows in Tipperary to be destroyed. None of the family were injured except in the way of fright. A number of bell boys from the Algonquin, who assisted in staying the flames, were more or less burned and bruised. Sir Thomas was not here at the time and the family are now at the hotel, comfortably quartered. The gas house was soon reduced to ashes and a merciful rain, helped prevent the fire from spreading to the home or adjacent cottages.

 

Beacon
July 25/1912
Though the present Algonquin hotel is one of the finest in Canada, a bigger and better Algonquin is promised for next year. It will be wholly of concrete. All the present wooden building will be torn down immediately upon the closing of the hotel this fall and a concrete structure will be erected in its stead. A very much larger dining hall will be put in the new plant, the present dining room space being much too small. Other features will also be added to the new building. (Contract to Lyall and Sons, who did the Kitchen wing)

 

Beacon
Aug 15/1912
Algonquin Tennis Club.
T. Shaughnessy Hon. Pres.
Thomas Tait Pres. etc.
The club newly formed. “There is more interest in tennis this season than ever before.”

 

Beacon
Sept 19/1912
Manager Allerton, of the Algonquin having closed the doors of the big summer hotel for the season of 1912, is able to enjoy a little breathing spell. To the Beacon he stated that the season, while it had been a good one, was far from being what had been anticipated, owing to the bad weather conditions during July and August. The plans for the permanent concrete section not having been completed in time, there would be no very radical changes or additions to the hotel this winter. It was probably that a casino would be constructed alongside the tennis courts, on the Ross block, and that the courts would be enlarged. A sun parlour was under construction, likewise an addition to the laundry and a residence for the help.

 

Beacon
March 13/1913
The booklet of the Algonquin Hotel for 1913 is undoubtedly the finest of its class that has ever been issued in Canada. Throughout it is a work of art. The illustrations, taken from actual photographs, are beautifully printed in delicate tints, while the letterpress is beyond compare. [the archives has this brochure]

 

Beacon
April 24/1913
15 foot extension planned to powerhouse for another boiler.

 

Beacon
May 8/1913
&&&New Golf Grounds
Nine-Hole Course Added--18-hole Course Increased
Golf enthusiasts who visit St. Andrews this season will find that golf conditions have greatly improved since last they were here. The acquirement of the Town Home property has enabled the Club not only to provide a supplementary 9-hole course, but it has made it possible to enlarge the old 18-hole course by about 500 yards. The 9-hole run will cover about 2,600 yards, so that it is not a small course by any means. Both courses will start from the new Club-house, which has been erected within three minutes walk of the Algonquin hotel.
            The new Club-house is quite a sightly building. It is of wood, one story in height, of an L shape, with a frontage of 70 feet, and is surrounded on three sides by broad verandas. There are two locker rooms with about 80 lockers in each, a large general assembly room with ample fire-place, a kitchen, work-room and caddy house. Toilets, with running water from Chamcook Lake, are attached to each of the locker rooms.
            The building was constructed by Wright McLaren; the plumbing connections were made by Mr. Goodwill Douglas, and the painting is being finished up by Mr. Albert Shaw.
            Mr. J. M. Peacock, golf professional, who has been superintending the improvement of the grounds and the laying out of the new courses, has his work about completed.
            The grounds will be ready for play when the Algonquin Hotel opens.

 

Beacon
May 22/1913
A ponderous boiler for the Algonquin hotel power station was hauled lately from the railway station to the powerhouse by Frank Gillman.

 

Beacon
May 29/1913
Amusing the Visitor
What the Algonquin Hotel Co. has Provided
There was a time in the history of St. Andrews as a summer resort when the visitor had to find his own pleasures, or go without. But that time has gone, at least as far as shore amusements are concerned.
            Now, his pleasures are all ready waiting for him--and of the very best. If he golfs--and there are few summer people who do not--he will find tow of the finest golf courses in America to play upon. If he plays tennis, there are six tennis courts at the Algonquin upon which he can amuse himself to his heart’s content. If his tastes run to the quieter game of croquet, there is an English croquet lawn in front of the big summer hotel that is unrivalled. If he is fond of bowling, whether it be on the green under the canopy of heaven, or within doors, he can be accommodated. If he plays billiards, either of the French or English variety, he will find what he needs. If he prefers the swimming pool, he can get all the salt water bathing he wants at Katy’s Cove. If he is fond of the dance, the dancing floor is here for him to trip upon.
            The Casino, recently constructed in front of the Algonquin hotel, is an ideal amusement hall. The building is of concrete, two stories in height, with broad, shaded verandahs where the visitor may lounge and enjoy himself. One half of the lower floor is used as a billiard room, the other half for bowling. There are three playing alleys in the latter, with two return alleys, fitted up in the best possible manner. A French and an English billiard table, and a pool table occupy the other side of the big room. Near the entrance there is a convenient lavatory and toilet. Upstairs, there is a splendid floor, 70 feet long, for dancing or other amusements. A ladies’ coat room and lavatory occupy one corner of this floor. The building is heated by a steam plant, and will be lighted by electricity.
            The old billiard room in the hotel building will be turned into a gentlemen’s cafe--something that has been very much needed.
            Should it be necessary to add other amusement features to the hotel these will be added, for the managers are determined that no one shall lack for the means of entertainment, whether it be for the out or the inner man.
            Manager Allerton is hastening along the improvements, and will have everything ready for opening on the 15th of June. The house-keeper, Mrs. Banks, and a small army of assistants from Boston, arrived last week and are getting the rooms in shape for the guests.
            Manager Allerton looks for a bumper season.

 

Beacon
June 19/1913
The Algonquin Hotel—Opens Its Doors for its 25th Season
This year the Algonquin hotel celebrated its ‘silver wedding.” (this the reason for the special brush-up in this year?) Twenty-five years ago, it first opened its doors to the public, and since then each year has witnessed large additions to its guests, besides numerous additions to its equipments. As a result of these constant improvements, the Algonquin Hotel of 1913 is as far ahead of the Algonquin of 1889 as the progress of Canada is ahead of that date. Since last season, a large addition has been made to its dining room space, by the building of a tower in front. The lower floors of this tower have furnished opportunities for other necessary improvements.
            Another important addition to the hotel’s equipment this year is the Casino, which was built during the past winter in front of the tennis courts. This will furnish opportunities for dancing, also for billiard and pool playing, and of bowling.
            the staff of the Algonquin Hotel of 1913 is made up as follows:--Andrew Allerton, Manager; W. J. Allerton, Assistant Manager; Spencer Farmer, Accountant; Raymond McCarthy, Chief Clerk; Charles. S. Partridge, Second Clerk; Mrs. McLean, Stenographer; Miss Olive Fountain, News Clerk; Mrs. H. E. Banks, Housekeeper; Mrs. Revere, Assistant Do; Mrs. White, Linen-Keeper; Miss Rich, head Laundress; Albert J. Miller, Chef; Jacob Sessler, Chief Baker; John A. McLean, Head Waiter; Ira Brown, Chief Engineer; Robert Tennant, Head Porter; Alphonso Cummings, Head Bellman; Charles Elrich, Chief Wine Clerk; Bert. Pye, Casino Keeper; Joseph Harrison, Head Gardener; Orchestra: Prof. Suck, Miss Ames, Mr. Percy Leveen, Boston Symphony Orchestra (Fiedler connection?)
            R. J. Christie again in cottage four. Cottage five occupied.