Old St. Andrews



Kennedy's Hotel




Kennedy’s Hotel (1879 to the Present)


March 19/1879
Editor gives similar argument to above.
Hotel--Mr. Angus Kennedy has leased the International Hotel, and is building an addition which will contain Kitchen and bed rooms, and hopes to open it by May, if not sooner. We understand he has purchased the old Railroad Hotel lot, (late Clarke’s) and proposes erecting on it a large hotel, the plans for the edifice have been drawn and the building when erected will be a credit to the town.


April 9/1879
The old “International” has been thoroughly renovated--painted, papered, and altered, and a large ell will be added. Mr. Kennedy expects to open his hotel next week. . . . His new premises are nearly opposite the Manchester House, and centrally located. (Clothing store, owned by Odell and Turner)


May 21/1879
43 guests at Kennedy’s week ending 20th.


July 24/1879
A list of guests at “Kennedy’s Hotel.” Still retains old name, though in new building.


St. Croix Courier
June 3/1880
Mr. Angus Kennedy has bought and paid for the Pheasant lot on which Clarke’s hotel formerly stood, and intends to build a summer hotel on it during the summer.


June 16/1880
We omitted to notice the sale of one of the most central and valuable properties in SA, fronting the Market Square, and familiarly known as the Railroad Hotel lot--where Edward Pheasant for many years kept his hotel, and latterly owned by the late Michael Clark, whose executor disposed of it at private sale to Mr. Angus Kennedy, for $450.00, being $50.00 advance on the price offered at auction. It is said that the present owner purposes erecting a large hotel of modern style, the front to be on a line with Water Street.


Oct 7/1880
Mr. Angus Kennedy has commenced operation with a view to the erection of a Hotel on that well known site on the Market Square in this town on which the Clark Hotel formerly stood. We believe it is Mr. Kennedy’s intention to erect a first-class building three stories high and covering rather more ground space than the former building did. the erection is to be of wood, the frame will be raised and boarded in before the snow flies.


St. Croix Courier
Jan 20/1881
Kennedy’s finished inside and out and is all lathed and ready for plastering.


May 26/1881
How the Queen’s Birthday was Celebrated in Saint Andrews
On Tuesday last, the 24th inst., the sixty second anniversary of the birth of Her most gracious Majesty the Queen of Great Britain and Ireland and Empress of India, was right loyally observed by the residents of the Shiretown of Charlotte county. The weather was as fine as could be desired, “traditional Queen’s weather,” the sun shone with his most brilliant rays, all nature seemed to rejoice; from the effects of last weeks’ rain the earth was decked with brightest green, the foliage of the trees was bursting into life and beauty. The water of Passamaquoddy Bay was as smooth as a mirror reflecting from its molten surface the resplendent blue of the heavens. The Dominion flag and the Union Jack floated proudly from a number of flag staffs in town, both alike loved and admired the former as the emblem of our Dominion, the latter as the representative of the glorious traditions of the mother land which are the common heritage of all loyal British subjects. Mr. Kennedy for the first time flew the Union Jack from the flagstaff on his new hotel.


St. Croix Courier
June 16/1881
Finishing touches being put on Kennedy’s. Hot and cold water pipes and bathrooms being put in. Jarvis Stinson, late in the employ of the NB and C, engaged as clerk at Argyll.


July 7/1881
Description of Kennedy’s.
“The Hotel building recently erected by Mr. A. Kennedy on the lot formerly occupied by the Pheasant Hotel on the Square, is a very commodious sightly structure, an ornament to the town in which it is situated. The internal arrangements of the building are of the most convenient and comfortable character, not surpassed by those of any similar establishment in the Dominion. The parlors and dining room are spacious, the bedrooms large and airy, the ventilation of the house exceptionally good; the furniture new and tasteful. On the premises are the indispensable conveniences of W. C.’s and bath rooms which are of the century valve style, the wash-basins are set in marble slabs, the faucets and couplings are of the latest patterns and nickel plated, the soil pipes extend upward through the roof, with fresh air inlet at foot and trapped outside to exclude impure gases; traps and closets ventilated. The bathroom is supplied with hot and cold water, and in it is a copper-lined tank with a capacity for 250 gallons. . . . The color on the body of the house is light stone, and the trimmings a dark stone color.”


Oct 13/1881
A Summer Visitor’s Correspondence to the Norfolk Register, Randolph, Mass.
Part Two
“As your patience seems to be equal to the emergency in publishing my rambling jottings, I feel it to be incumbent on me to keep my promise of last week, while I try to give your readers a slight idea of the pleasures which are to be enjoyed by simply taking a vacation excursion, and stopping a short time in this delightful little border town. Of the two principal hotels which I promised to describe, the Argyll is the largest and most imposing in appearance situated in the extreme eastern part of the town but a short distance from either the N. B. and C. Railway or the Steamboat Wharf, on a large tract of land which, together with the sum of $5,000 in cash, were contributed by the Town of St. Andrews towards this enterprise, and has already cost the owners thereof about $25,000 to which is expected to be added a large wing on the southeast side which will give this fine building a grand frontage of about 300 feet, by 50 feet in width, to which is attached an ell running back on the northeast side, or rear, about 75 feet, making the distance from front to rear 125 feet, height three stories, with French roof, and tower or observatory, from which an excellent view of SA, NB; Robbinston, Maine; Chamcook Mountain, Passamaquoddy Bay, and all the islands of Charlotte County, both in Passamaquoddy Bay and Bay of Fundy, known as West Isles, may be had, which scene alone would compensate one well for hours of toil spent in striving to obtain it. The entrance to this building is large and airy, leading into a spacious hall 50 feel long, 14 feet wide at entrance enlarging to 30 feet at the rear, from which access is had to the dining room, which is a large hall, 54 by 44 feet, with a 22 foot ceiling, lighted and ventilated by eight large windows, four being one each side, and at night by handsome six light chandeliers. Adjoining the dining room is a large billiard hall, 21 by 44 feet, which like all parts of this house is newly furnished in the most modern style. . . . The range, which is one of the French wrought iron improved, has a cooking capacity for 300 persons. All the rooms are large and airy, being supplied with every convenience and excellent ventilation. The gent’s parlor which is on the right of the entrance is 20 feet square, and fitted with everything necessary for east and comfort. The ladies’ parlors, of which there are two, one being 22 feet, while the other is 17 feet square, connected or divided at will by folding doors, are richly furnished and carpeted, one being supplied with a Wedlock piano, the other with a Burdette organ. The basement is divided into five compartments, all of which are called into use daily. There is also a good livery stable in connection with the house, where good horses and carriages of the latest Provincial and American styles may be had a very moderate rates. Capt. Herbert, the proprietor of the Argyll aided by his wife, formerly of the Grand Falls Hotel, Grand Falls, N. B., will always be found about his business of which he is master, trying to make his guests comfortable and happy, in which he has attained a fair degree of success.
“Kennedy’s Hotel, of which the owner and gentlemanly proprietor, Mr. Angus Kennedy, is also manager, is located on Market Square, Water Street, (on the site formerly occupied for many years by the Railroad House, E. Pheasant, proprietor,) has a frontage of 50 feet, extends back 104 feet, and is three stories in height with a hip roof. It is a very commodious and handsome structure, while its internal arrangements are convenience, comfortable and airy. The rooms are large, high and well ventilated, and fitted with all the modern conveniences. The furniture, carpets, etc., are all new and very tastefully selected from the very latest designs and styles. The house in point of completeness of arrangement and elegance of finish, manner of ventilation, etc., will compare favorably with hotels of the same capacity either in the United States or Canada. Two verandas run along the front on the first and second stories. The entrance is large, opening into a spacious hall 44 feet long and 12 feet wide, from which doors open to the office, coat and washrooms, sample rooms, private parlor, and large dining room, in the rear of which are the kitchen, pantries and laundry, all of which are supplied with the most modern conveniences. On the second floor are the ladies’ parlors, which are commodiously and handsomely furnished, 16 sleeping rooms and bath rooms. There are 36 rooms on the third floor, while space enough remains unfinished to provide for 20 more bedrooms on the fourth floor. An air of cheerfulness and comfort seems to pervade the whole house,, which together with the geniality of mine host, the popular proprietor, Mr. Kennedy, must continue as it always has done to attract a large share of the patronage of those who visit Sa, either for business or pleasure. The location of the house makes it very desirable as a commercial hotel. In connection with the hotel is a good livery stable conducted by Burton and Murphy, who are always ready to supply customers with good steppers, fine carriages and equipments. T he views from the different parts of the house are very fine indeed, and nearly all the points of interest are to the seen without leaving it.


Aug 16/1883
Kennedy’s Hotel is receiving very large patronage, being full nearly all the time. . . . by a consensus of opinion it is admitted to be one of the best hotels in the province.


Nov 29, 1883
Use of the Knife in St. Andrews
On the night of Wednesday the 21st inst. A lad named James Gallagher, for some misconduct, was by the proprietor of Kennedy’s Hotel, ordered off the premises, refusing to go he was ejected; shortly afterwards Gallagher returned and attempted to force his way into the hotel. Mr. Kennedy barred his entry, when a tussle took place. Gallagher drew a jack knife and stabbed Mr. Kennedy in the left breast where the passage of the knife was stopped by the rib, and in the abdomen immediately below the ribs where the knife, fortunately, only made a slight puncture. Both wounds were in a dangerous locality. Had the knife been thrust with a little more force, either of them, would probably have cost Mr. Kennedy his life. Mr. Kennedy also had one of his fingers gashed. Mr. Mark Hall, the County jailer, came to Mr. Kennedy’s assistance, and succeeded in disarming Gallagher who we are informed, was severely punished by Mr. Kennedy striking him across the head and face with a whip.


July 1/1886
Argyll can sleep 250. Dining room seats 300. Kennedy’s can sleep 150. Dining room 100. Lansdowne smaller. Leased by Mrs. Randall on Water St.


St. Croix Courier
May 17/1888
Angus Kennedy purposes making an extension to his already large, commodious and popular hotel.


May 23/1889
Kennedy's sinking its own artesian well. Others may follow suit.


Dec 5, 1889
The annex to Kennedy’s hotel is being rapidly pushed forward in anticipation of wintry weather. Mr Shaughnessy is in charge of the work and is making a good job of it. With the additional room [8 rooms] the extension will give Mr Kennedy ought to be able to cope with next season’s run of tourists.


St. Croix Courier
June 18/1890
Addition to Kennedy’s, which will give ten more rooms, nearly finished.


Dec 31/1891
Mr. Angus Kennedy, hotel proprietor, intends applying to the County /council at its next session for a wholesale liquor licence. It is probably that the application will be opposed.


May 30/1895
M. McMonagle constructing a windmill for use at Kennedy’s hotel. The proprietor of Kennedy’s hotel is about to place a large water tank in the upper story of his hotel, to be filled with windmill power. this tank will be at once an additional protection against fire and a convenience to the guests of the house.


June 6/1895
A handsome illustrated folder, containing a bird’s eye view of St. Andrews and a cut of the hotel has been sent out by the proprietors of Kennedy’s hotel.


Aug 15/1895
Kennedy's hotel now enjoys a first-class water supply. On the upper floor of the house a large tank holding hundreds of gallons has been erected. This tank is kept constantly filled by a windmill pump which draws the water from an artesian well. Leading from the tank are iron pipes which carry the water to the several floors. A fire hose is connected to this pipe, so that the house is amply protected against emergencies.


Sept 6/1900
At Kennedy’s hotel, the proprietors have been at their wits’ end to house all who sought shelter. For several weeks the hotel has been overflowing. It is not improbably that net year an addition will be made to this comfortable house. There has been some talk of the Canadian pacific people adding another hotel and erecting a number of cottages, but, so far as known, no definite action has been taken in this direction.


May 15/1902
Kitchen improvements for Kennedy's


Sept 18/1902
Kennedy’s Hotel
There is no feature so well calculated to gibe a stranger a favorable impression of a place as the presence of first-class hotel accommodations. St. Andrews is particularly well favored in this respect, and a few words concerning Kennedy’s hotel cannot but prove of interest to many of our readers. The hotel is a large three and a half story structure, imposing in appearance and centrally located in the heart of the town and presents many attractions to the ordinary visitor as well as to the business man who seeks central situation for his temporary abiding place. It has 60 rooms, both single and en-suite, handsomely furnished and kept scrupulously clean. the dining room is a large, airy rooms, the tables of which are laid with white linen and bright silverware, while that which is served thereon includes all the delicacies of the market and season, cooked and served in a manner that proves the cuisine to be in charge of a thorough chef who allows nothing to leave the kitchen that is not palatable and would please the most fault finding. The parlors are large and homelike. The office, dining room, reading and writing rooms are all on the first floor. the house has modern improvements, sanitary plumbing, hot and cold water baths, electric call bells, et., Taken all in all Kennedy’s hotel is first class and the proprietors are unsparing in their efforts to make their guest comfortable.


March 5/1903
Among the Hotels
Kennedy’s hotel is being placed in readiness for the tourist traffic, which is expected to be larger than ever this season. Painters have been employed for several weeks in painting and decorating the interior. Among the improvements contemplated is the addition of a large fireplace in the hotel office.
Nov 26/1903
Two large sample rooms being constructed in rear of Kennedy’s. Desc. Dec 10/1903


Feb 4/1904
Angus Kennedy Dead
Well-Known Hotel-Keeper Dies after a Few Days Illness
The death of Angus Kennedy, proprietor of Kennedy’s hotel, which occurred on Tuesday afternoon at 1:30 o’clock, after an illness of a few days, was a great shock to his family and fellow townsfolk. Though showing the weight of his years of late yet his general health was excellent up until about a week ago when he contracted a cold. Pneumonia was threatened but by securing prompt medical attention the attack was averted. He returned to his duties and on Saturday night last again took to his bed with what appeared to be an attack of indigestion. On Sunday, his heart became affected; on Monday morning syncope followed, which continued, with the exception of a brief interval, up to his death.
            Mr. Kennedy was born in Glengarry, Ontario, in 1832, his direct line of parentage coming from the colonists of the late Bishop McDonald, who was a cousin of his mother’s and who settled in that part some years previous. The late John Sanfield McDonald’s mother was a sister to deceased’s father and their nearly life in Canada was closely linked together. Mr. Kennedy came to the lower provinces in the capacity of a railroad contractor about 47 years ago. He took a sub-contract for the construction of a section of the NB and C Railway and it was then that he was first introduce to St. Andrews. Subsequently he engaged in the sleeper business out of this port. His first experience as an inn-keeper was in the location now occupied by Miss O’Neill’s millinery store. From there he removed to larger premises near the railway station. After several years occupancy of that site his hotel was destroyed by fire. He then removed up town to the American House, which stood on the vacant lot opposite the post office. While there he purchased the site upon which the present hotel stands and began the work of building. Before removing his family to the new premises he lived for a time in the brick dwelling now occupied by Registrar Hibbard. For over twenty years Kennedy’s Hotel has stood on its present site, the enterprising proprietor year by year enlarging and improving his building and hotel equipment until it is now one of the best appointed hotels in the lower provinces. He was never content to stand still. Forward was his motto as a hotel proprietor all through life. IN 1856 he married Miss Margaret MacDougall, of Glengarry County. Their wedded life was a happy one. Eleven children were born to them, two of whom died in infancy. Six daughter and three sons are still living. His eldest daughter, Catherine, is wife of Mr. James Dalton, of the journal staff of the House of Commons, Ottawa; Annie is the wife of Mr. J. E. Cunningham, of Boston; Amelia is a professional nurse in Philadelphia; Jennie as at home; Mamie is the wife of Mr. John Twohey, of Pearcefield, New York,, and the youngest, Julia, has entered upon the life of a religious in Montreal. His sons are Dr. Charles E. Kennedy, of the dental firm of Maloney and Kennedy; Archie of Medford, Mass., and frank who was partner with his father in the hotel business. He is also survived by hone brother, Daniel Kennedy, and one sister, Mrs. Buchan, of Owen Sound, Ontario. Physically Mr. Kennedy was a man of powerful build and in his younger days won renown in feats of strength. He was person ally very popular as a hotel man. Kind of heart, genial of manner, and particularly fond of a joke, he had many warm friends. He had a great fund of anecdote at his disposal, chiefly relating to humorous incidents that occurred during his life in St. Andrews. He was delightful story-teller and while his stories were seasoned with pungent twit and biting sarcasm at times, they were never unclean. He had no sympathy with those who used unclean language or who failed in their respect to womankind. He was a devout Catholic and was always attentive to his religious duties. He was one of the most progressive businessmen of the place and his death will create a void in the business life of the town that it will be hard to fill.


May 5/1904
Kennedy’s Hotel—Bath Rooms and Other improvements Being Added. The reputation for excellent which Kennedy’s hotel has won in past years is being well sustained by the new management. This season, many improvements, designed to add to the comfort and convenience of its guest, have been made to the interior of the house. On the first floor the office has been tinted (wallpapered?) and lighted up with paint and varnish. The lavatory adjoining was also been modernized and is now nearly complete. The walls of the writing room have been painted a delicate shade of green. This, with a white dado, makes the room very attractive. Two bedrooms, for the use of the male help have been added to this floor, with a door opening in to the yard. This addition will give two more rooms upstairs of the use of guests. New stair and hall carpets have been laid down. Many of the rooms have also been carpeted with Brussels and tapestry, of exquisite designs. New furniture has been placed in several of the rooms. One suite, shown to the reporter, was furnished throughout in white,--a very effective arrangement. On the third floor, a bath room has been added, with closets, the plumbing work being done by Mr. O’Brien, of “SS. The appointments of the new bath room are very complete and handsome.


May 3/1906
Kennedy’s has erected a 100 candle power gasoline lamp in front of hotel.


May 31/1906
New steel ceiling for Kennedy’s put in by Leo Ross. Also gets a Heintzman piano.


April 4/1907
A hot air heating apparatus is being installed in Kennedy’s


June 6/1907
St. Andrews Booklet—SA and About There is the title of an illustrated booklet in colors issued by the enterprising manager of Kennedy’s Hotel. It is printed on “Toile Moiré Tanjib” a grained paper of fine quality—and is generally admired. The work was done in The Beacon office and will compare favorably with any city work. The letter press, besides being of a concise historical character, contains information as to railway and steamboats. Manager Kennedy will be pleased to supply booklet on application.


July 18/1907
A telephone station to be placed at Kennedy’s.


July 25/1907
Picture with History
SA Fifty Years Ago Sought by Tourist
There is a picture in the writing room of Kennedy’s hotel that has an interesting history. It is a lithograph of SA, made by Frederick Wells, an officer of the 1st Royals, which regiment was stationed here about fifty years ago. Presumably that is about the age of the picture. At present it is the property of Mrs. R. M Hazen, of Saint John. Some years ago, the late Miss Hazen, of Saint John, was visiting a member of her family at Tonbridge, Kent, England. One day, in passing a bookseller’s shop she noticed this lithograph in the window and she at once secured it. After Miss Hazen’s death it fell into the hands of Mrs. Hazen, who prizes it very highly
            The picture bears below it the following inscription, which indicates that even at that remove period St. Andrews had a reputation as a tourist resort, besides being an aspirant for winter port honors:
            VIEW OF THE TOWN OF ST. ANDREWS, NB, WITH IS MAGNIFICENT HARBOR AND BAY. From the extreme beauty of its scenery and the salubrity of its climate, the town is much resorted to by tourist from all parts. It is situated at the entrance of the Bay of Fundy, at the southern and warmest extremity of NB; and lying in close proximity to the US at their nearest point to Great Britain it commands the whole of their extensive system of railways and is probably destined at no distant period to occupy an important position in the history of British north American, particularly as on the completion of the St. Andrews and Quebec Railway (the great trunk line to the Canadas and which is now in active progress under the Earl Fitzwilliam, Lord Ashburton, and other gentlemen) it will become the winter port to those vast provinces and that line being the shortest which can be constructed to reach them on British territory it will naturally be much resorted to as a port of disembarkation for emigrants, who will doubtless long cherish it in grateful remembrance as the spot where after the perils of their voyage they first touched the hospitable shores of their adopted home. [circa 1857 then]


Aug 15/1907
Good Hotel Season Despite Bad Weather—“This has been the best season Kennedy’s hotel has ever had,” remarked Manager Kennedy to The Beacon last week. “We have never had so many people during August before. They have filled our rooms and overflowed parlors, halls and writing grooms, while some have been compelled to sleep outside. We have managed to care for all who have come. Next season we ma add more rooms to the house. This will entail an enlargement of our dining room space and other changes, all of which means a large expenditure of money.” Manager Allerton has a like story to tell of the Algonquin and of its new annex, The Inn. The latter has been crowded of late.


St. Croix Courier
November 25/1909
Wilson’s Beach and Welshpool have been connected by a new telephone line.
A floor of mosaic tiling has been laid in the office of Kennedy’s Hotel in St. Andrews by Robert Faloon. This is to be taken as further proof that the youthful proprietor of the excellent hotel “leaves no stone unturned” to maintain his position in the vanguard of the leading hostelries.


July 28/1910
Big Tourist Traffic. “We have never had such a rush of people in July before,” said Manager Kennedy, of Kennedy’s Hotel, when asked by the Beacon as to the condition of the summer tourist business. “They are coming by boat, by train and by auto, and it wouldn’t surprise us if we had them coming by flying machine before August is out. Every room in the house is filled up, and we are sending them to outside rooms.” Just then some one exclaimed, “The Campbells are coming,” and there was a rush to the door to greet an auto load of Fredericton folks, consisting of Mr. and Mrs. “Campbell and their two daughters. Right after them rattled another mud-stained car from the capital, occupied by Mr. Blackmer and wife. The two autos left Fredericton on Monday and had run into a heavy storm and bad roads. It was 2 o’clock on Tuesday afternoon when they drew up at the curb in front of Kennedy’s hotel. They were all tired and travel stained, but the folly greeting and the goof are soon elevated their spirits.


St. Croix Courier
Nov 17/1910
(from 30 years ago—1880)
Approaching the town of St. Andrews from the Harbour there is seen towering above the adjacent buildings a new structure of large dimensions. It is the new hotel being erected by Angus Kennedy, the genial landlord of the long-established Kennedy’s hotel. The former structure was burned some years ago, since which time he has been occupying a building which was altogether inadequate to the requirements of his large patronage. Some time ago he purchased the site of the hotel formerly kept by Michael Clarke, which structure was also destroyed by fire several years ago. The hotel has a frontage of 48 feet on Water Street, and the main building extends back 42 feet. The ell is nearly of the same dimensions, being 42 by 37 feet. In height the building is 3 ½ stories. A piazza 8 feet wide will run across the front the height of 2 stories. The building when completed will be an ornament to St. Andrews as well as a credit to its enterprising proprietor. Our talented townsman, Leonard Markee, is the architect and superintendent of the building, and when we state this, our reader will know that it cannot be otherwise than “approved.” Mr. Kennedy expects to move into his new premises about the first of May next. (The builder and the original proprietor have both passed to the silent majority, but so late as last winter the present proprietor, Angus Kennedy’s son, stated to the writer that, so well had the building been put together, that not since it was build had even a shaving made to be taken from a door or window in the house. That was the kind of work that was done in those days.)


March 23/1911
Charles Norris
Mr. Charles H. Norris, whose death occurred on Monday last, had been for 32 years a resident of St. Andrews. (1879) The greater part of this time he had spent as chef at Kennedy’s hotel. Born in Maryland 67 years ago (1844), he took part in the Civil War of the United States and at the time of his death was in receipt of a pension from the U. S. Government. He was a quiet, industrious, model citizen. He is survived by his wife, two sons and one daughter. His funeral took place yesterday afternoon.


March 31/1917
Improvements at Kennedy’s. Details.


Oct 27/1917
Kennedy’s Hotel Closes for the Winter
It is with very sincere regret that we have to announce that Kennedy’s Hotel closes its doors to guest to-day, and will not reopen till early in June next year. This is the first time this famous and inviting hostelry has even temporarily ceased to cater to the travelling public since it was first opened on May 24, 1881, its then proprietor, Mr. Angus Kennedy, who began the hotel business on a site lower down on Water Street over fifty years ago, having moved into it on that date after his former premises had been destroyed by fire.
            The occasion of the temporary closing of this hotel gives another opportunity to reflect and to moralize on the present decadence of the future winter port of Canada. As a port and a commercial and manufacturing centre, St. Andrews does not occupy anything like the position it did over fifty years ago when Mr. Angus Kennedy started in the hotel business in the Town. Many thing contributed to the decline of the business and the place, and the same causes produced similar results in most of the coast towns of the Maritime Provinces. But other towns have introduced new enterprises to take the place of the lost lumber business and shipbuilding industry, and have entered upon careers of expanding prosperity. St. Andrews is now almost entirely without any industry whatever, if we except the relatively small fish-curing and clam-canning establishments which together do not give daily employment within the Town to twenty men. The Town is situated in the most advantageous position conceivable for carrying on many industries; it is beautifully planned, and affords the greatest possible facilities for effective drainage and for the installation of electric light and a water-supply system; and the vacant lots in the Town are crying out for occupants, and the grass-grown and deserted streets plead eloquently for the traffic which lack of enterprise and of cooperation on the part of the townspeople is repelling.
            In summer the place bustles with activity; the natives of the Town who have gone elsewhere to build up other communities, return for a brief season to the dear old Town they love so well; the hotels are thronged with visitors who come here to participate in the delights of scenery and climate which have made the place famous; and the wealthy cottages occupy for three or four months the comfortable summer homes they have built within sight of the ever-alluring Passamaquoddy Bay.
            All this is very nice to think about and to write about and to participate in; but what of the other seven or eight or almost nine months of the year when there is “nothing doing,” and “stagnation” is written large over the whole community?
            The closing of Kennedy’s Hotel this winter is lamentable from every point of view, for a town which is unable to provide the business necessary to keep open profitably all the year round at least one such hotel, must be regarded as an insignificant place. The remedy is not far to seek, it is within easy reach of the people here who have the means and ability, but lack the faith and the enterprise, to grasp it. Those people who have benefited most by the community do the least for it in return; and an utter selfishness on the part of the a number of the permanent residents of the Town is the only reason that the place is lacking in those industries which would attract additional permanent population and retain all the young people who now leave year after year to seek their fortunes in more progressive centers. A word to the wise is sufficient, it is said; but only the blast of Gabriel’s trumpet will arouse those whose selfishness and indifference have deafened them to the eloquent appeals which the Town’s decadence puts forth.


Beacon (f9823)
June 15/1918
The two hotels open next week:--Kennedy’s that ever popular and most comfortable hostelry, on Monday; and the Algonquin, which is probably the finest summer hotel on the continent and certainly the most beautifully situated and most efficiently managed, [irony? see curtailment of train service] on Thursday. . . . winter months, and if it were not for the influx of summer visitors trade would languish and the permanent population would further diminish. So the people of the Old Shire Town, as we like to call it, are grateful for the summer season and the summer visitors. But there are those who would like to see the animation of the Town which the summer brings, made permanent throughout the year; and that such a desirable consummation can be brought to pass if the right course to attain it is pursued, is the firm conviction of those who have made the subject a matter of study and investigation. These people will be heard from before long, it is to be hoped.


St. Croix Courier
June 9/1921
Kennedy’s Hotel Open. “The hotel is in fine condition, as it always has been, and Mayor Kennedy [Frank, son of Angus] is prepared to cater in first class manner.” Mrs. F W. Thompson to open summer home on Saturday. (Summer folk arriving en masse)


St. Croix Courier
Nov 8/1934
Mayor W. Frank Kennedy Dies Suddenly. Elected 1921, 1922, 1927, 1932. “Along with Dr. J. F. Worrell he was a prime mover in the establishment of the water system in St. Andrews in 1921, an enterprise which has been successful and since has been unanimously approved, although the promoters of the plan encountered strong opposition because of the expense involved. Mr. Kennedy was Mayor and Dr. Worrell was Chairman of the water committee when the system was installed.” Born Oct. 26, 1877. Son of late Angus Kennedy. Succeeded father as owner of Kennedy Hotel.