Old St. Andrews



The Railroad Hotel



Railroad Hotel
Lot 2, Old Gaol Block


1. Thomas Wyer to Thomas Wyer Junior and Neville Parker
16 February 1824
Know all men by these presents that I Thomas Wyer of Saint Andrews in the County of Charlottte, and Province of New Brunswick Escquire, for and in consideration of the sumof five shillings, to me in hand well and truly paid at or before the unsealing and delivery of these presents by Thomas Wyer the younger of Saint Andrews aforesaid Esquire, and Neville Parker of Saint andrews aforesaid Esquire, the receipt whereof I do hereby acknowledge and therewith fully and entirely satisfied and contented, have granted, bargained and sold and by these presents do grant, bargain and sell, unto the said Thomas Wyer the Younger and Neville Parker all the dwelling house in which I now reside, with the lot whereon the said house now stands, with the appurtances thereunto appertaining.


2. Thomas Wyer and Neville Parker to Francis E. Putnam
8 October 1828
600 pounds
. . . that certain lot  . . . known and distinguished as lot number two in the Jail Block, so called, in Parr's Division of said Town sold by the late Thomas Wyer to Thomas Wyer Junior and Neville Parker . . .


3. Francis Ebenezer Putnam to Ward Chipman, Robert Parker and Neville Parker
6 November 1828
602 pounds
. . . known and distinguished as lot Number two in the Gaol Block, so called, in Parr's division of the said Town sold by the late thomas Wyer to Thomas Wyer Junior and Neville Parker and by the said Thomas Wyer with Sarah his wife and the said neville parker and Eliza M. S. his wife sold and conveyed to the said Francis Ebenezer Putnam . . .


Dec 9/37
SA/SJ Mail Stage
Leaving SA M/W/F at 6:00 am; Carleton T/R at 7 am.
One-day service.
One-way 25 shillings.
Leaves SA at Mrs. McLeavy's Hotel.
This line connects with the US mail line at Robbinston.  L. L. Copeland.


4. Robert Parker to Lucian L. Copeland
1 April 1841
Lot 2, Old Gaol Block
400 pounds
(This deed notes this property formerly occupied by Thomas Wyer)


July 29/1842
Copeland Hotel.  SA Amateur band to play there.  Also Paul's Hall.


July 23/1845
St. Andrews Hotel.  William Ross.  Formerly hotel of L. L. Copeland.  Near Market Wharf.


Sept 10/1845
L. L. Copeland running thrice weekly mail stage (overnight) to SA-SJ.  W. H. Williams has contracted to run Royal Mails between SA/SJ.  Books at SJ Hotel and Ross Hotel, SA.


Feb 25/1846
L. L. Copeland will reopen St. Andrews Hotel in April, "the present occupant's lease expiring at that time."


May 20/1846
Thomas Sime opens broom factory.  Weekly stage between SA and Fred.  Leaving SA Friday 10 am, Fred. Wed. 10 am.  Books kept at Segee's Hotel, Fred., Ross and Copeland Hotel, SA.  Joseph leavitt.


5. Lucian L. Copeland to Samuel Copeland
15 April 1847
Lot two, Old Gaol Block


6. Samuel Copeland to William and Joseph Scammell
16 April 1847
Lot two, Old Gaol Block


July 28/1847
SA Hotel reopened under William Segee of Fredericton Hotel business.  Formerly L. L. Copeland.  Situated opposite steamboat landing. 


7. Scammell to Edward Pheasant
12 October 1847
Lot two, Old Gaol Block
775 pounds


July 30/1851
Grocery and Provision Store, John. B. Balson, "next Pheasant's Hotel."  June 17/51  (Ross's Hotel is described as "centrally located, in the immediate vicinity of Market Wharf."  Formerly B. R. Fitzgerald owner.)  March 24/47


March 28/1854
For sale: house on Water Street occupied by John Fitzgerald, nearly opposite the Railroad Hotel.  Also, 2 stores, Blacksmith shop, and house with wharf belonging to the estage of F. A. Babcock, formerly known as Col Wyer's wharf.  Also, "The houses and lots on Water Street . . . now occupied by Charles O'Neill and Miles S. Hannah, with the property in th rear extending to the harbour, on which is the foundry, in the occupation of Alex. Watson.


Sept 17/1856
From Provincialist of SA: John Aymar's Spar and Blockmaker's shop, opposite Mr. Pheasant's "extensive hotel establishment," saved from fire by spark-intercepting trees.  Standard also burned out--materials saved.  Same happened to Provincialist itself months past.  Casualties: large range of buildings owned by Charlotte County Bank on Market Square; McElwee's Store and barehouse; Standard; Moore's tinware shop; two barns.  Water St.--Boyd's two stores and warehouse; house, store and shed occupied by Capt. McMaster; store of M. S. Hannah; engine-room, workshop, tools, stock, foundry and blacksmith shop of John Aymar; store owned by C. O. O'Neill; house and blackmsith shop of Thomas Quain; house owned by H. Hatch.  Town's worst fire yet.


Sept 16/57
We beg leave to direct the attention of the Magistrates to the present dangerous state of the Market Square, and that part of Water Street immediately in front of the Railroad Hotel.  The cellars of the buildings destroyed by fire a year since, are left open and exposed, and are nothing less than "man traps," endangering the lives of the community, and more particularly strangers.


Sept 30/1857
NB/Can Rr to open Oct. 1.  40 miles ready for traffic.  Excursion planned.  Open to Barber Dam.  Lunch by Edward Pheasant.  Ad by E. Pheasant, RR Hotel.  Sept 15/1857


Oct 7/1857
Account of RR Excursion--2 new engines called Earl Fitz William and Manner-Sutton.  Cars--brake van, passenger care, 22 large trucks fitted up with seats to accommodate 34 persons each, another brake van (both with seats).  After 20 miles a stop for water.  Stop at Fred. Road station: Lunch for 400, courtesy E. Pheasant.
            Surveyor-General's remarks: when landed in SA in 1810 a florishing town and considerable trade.  In 1812  when ward declared, 35 square-rigged vessels in port.  Loss of West India trade and social advantages of SS, digdegusah, and Magaguadavic gradually reduced commerce of SA to low ebb.  Whence RR scheme.  Sir Leonard Tilley there.


Oct 13/1858
CC Agricultural Society holds annual dinner at Pheasant's hotel.


Feb 6/1861
Seven buildings destroyed in fire at market Square.  Sufferers: Mrs. Sharkey, two houses; Charles Steveson, one; J. M. Owens, one; E. Pheasant, two; John Dougherty, one.  Most disastrous fire in many years.


Sept 24/62
E. J. Russell, artist and photographer, in town taking views to illustrate historical and topographical work on NB.  Panorama from Chamcook Mountain; also from Catholic steeple. To be exhibited at Railroad Hotel.  Also views of public and private dwellings, if desired.  Well-known in NB and England.


June 10/1863
J. L. MacKay, dentist, in rooms at Pheasant Hotel.  Limited engagement.


Oct 14/1863
Bayside a prospering district: Baptist church, new post office, store, commodious school house, agricultural Hall.  F. W. Bradford's premises handsome.  Rev. A. D. Thompson pretty conservatory.  Many residences show elegance and refinement absent elsewhere in province.  Mr. Rideout employs large number of men in his shipyard.


Stage Accommodation--convenient covered wagon to connect Railway Station with steam boats and hotels.  Books kept at Bradford's and Pheasant's Hotel.  may 14/63


Aug 29/66
The Commissioner, Mr. Pheasant, has had the streets thoroughly gravelled, and the
water tables cleared out, which from all we hear is giving much satisfaction.  Our
attention has been directed to the large amount of work performed already on the
streets. It should not be forgotten that for the past two or three years, considerable
sums were expended in building large culverts, which although costing large amounts
will last during the present generation, and are the main cause of our dry streets.


May 8/67
The Railroad Hotel, has been transferred by Capt. Pheasant, who retires from business, to Mr. Clark, who informs us that he is prepared to keep the house, in such a style as will command success.  We learn that persons from Canada and Frederiction have already engaged rooms for the summer, in the establishment.  Mr. Clark's card will appear in our next issue.


May 15/67
Railroad Hotel
Water Street, Market Square
St. Andrews
The subscriber having leased the above Hotel, and thoroughly refitted it, is now
prepared to accommodate Permanent and Transient Boarders.  Every attention will be
paid to secure their comfort.  The tables will be supplied with the best the market
affords.  The rooms are spacious and airy.  N. B. Livery Stable in connection.
Michael Clark,
Successor to Edward Pheasant
St. Andrews, May 13, 1867


May 19/69
New Hotel--In our advertising column will be seen a notice of a new establishment, vis:
Mr. Kennedy's Hotel which we briefly noticed a few weeks ago.  Having passed through
the House we can safely state that it is newly and handsomely furnished, the bed
rooms are large and airy, the dining room well adapted for the purpose and the
attendance all that could be desired.  Its central location and contiguity to the Railway
and Steamboat Wharf, render it a convenient and pleasant house for visitors.


New Livery Stable
See Ad.  C. C. Bridges has taken new stables in rear of Bradford's Hotel.  Kennedy's,
Hatch's and Bradford's Hotel.  See photocopy. 
"The subscriber lately of Railroad Hotel, has taken the new and commodious Stables in rear of Bradford's Hotel, fitted them up with all the modern conveniences, and is prepared to furnish board for horses for any time, on reasonable terms, and solicits a continuance of patronage from his friends, will find attentive hostlers in attendance.  Passengers conveyed free by the coach to and from Kennedy's, Hatch's, and Bradford's Hotels.  He is also proprietor of the Stage Line between SA and SG."


Ad for Kennedy's: "This Hotel is situated in the most business part of the town, and within a short distance of the Steamboat landing and Railway Station."


May 26/69
Account of supper for Battery at Railroad Hotel.  "It is due to Mr. Clark to say that he
provided an elegant repast to which may be added ample justice was done."
(our photo?)


May 24/71
A new branch of business has been opened near Mr. Kennedy's premises, by Mr. James Rowland, termed a "wool pulling" establishment, where some thousands of sheep and lamb skins may be seen in preparation to have the wool removed from them, washed and assorted for market.


The Railroad Hotel, kept by Mr. Clark, has been newly painted and papered, and we learn its proprietor is doing a good business.  In connection with the Hotel is a large Livery Stable where horses and carriages may be had, for pleasure or business, with or without drivers.  There is a coach also belonging to the establishment which plies to the steamer and cars on their arrival and departure


July 26/71
On Friday morning last, about 3 o'clock a fire broke out in a shed attached to an unoccupied office on Water Street near Clark's Hotel. . . .


Feb 21/72
Letter to Editor From "Clark's Hotel," Feb 17/72


April 24/72
Ad for Railroad Hotel.  See photocopy.  Dated april 17/72.  Owner Clark.  Also notice by SA Hotel Company.


8. Edward Pheasant to Michael Clark
27 April 1872
Lot 2, Old Gaol Block
5,000 dollars


May 29/72
Ref. to a dinner at "Clark's Hotel."


June 19/72
Clarke's Hotel has has several additions put on by Mr. Edward Stinson, and is now very convenient; the water for the establishment is conducted by pipes, and pumps have been introduced.


Dec 18/72
CC Agricultural Society celebrates annual dinner at "Clarke's Hotel."  (Seem to have been customary meeting place for group dinners; Kennedy's never mentioned in this connection)  To various toasts: "Success to the new Hotel," Mr. Street and Mr. Clarke responded; the latter was both pithy and witty, and was frequently cheered.  To the long list of toasts: "Our host and hostess," drew out Mr. Clarke, whose humourous remarks called forth the plaudits of the company.


June 18/73
Mr. Clarke has added to his stock of horses and carriages.  Double carriage by DeWolfe and Son, SS.


Sept 10/73
Mr. O'Neil's 2-story building moved from Point next to Clarke's Hotel.  New masonic hall was also moved to current location.  "This building, and the new Masonic Hall, recently moved to the adjoining corner, . . ." 


oct 8/73
Messrs. O'Neill have moved into new building next Clarke's Hotel.  Meat shop on left, grocery on right.


June 10/74
Clarke offers Railroad Hotel for sale at auction.  Also other properties.  Listed. See photocopy.
Valuable Hotel, Property, Furniture, Horses, Carriages, etc.  At auction.  The subscriber offers for sale at public auction on Thursday, 18th instant, commencing at 10 o'clock, a.m., all his real and personal estate, horses, carriages, etc., that old established house and premises fronting the Market Square, known as the Railroad Hotel, with all the furniture, etc.  Also the town block containing eight lots, front on Montague, Elizabath, Adolphus, and Parr Streets, at preent under cultivation, and being one of the most eliigible sites for building purposes.  The above properties offer a rare opportunity for any one desirous of carrying on the Hotel business.  Terminal sale.  Michael Clarke, St. Andrews, June 10/74.  C. E. O. Hathaway, auctioneer


July 29/74
Serious fire, beginning in barn attached to Clarke's Hotel, destroys engine house, old Town Hall, and Hotel itself.  "The Hotel owned by Mr. Clarke with the barn and sheds were consumed.  His loss is certainly large; in addition tothe hotel he lost four horses, all of his sleighs, several setts of harness, hay and oats, a supply of wood and coal."
Hotel insured for $3,000.  Thought to be purely accidental.  Clarke intends rebuilding without delay.


May 12/75
Piece on hotel improvements.  See photocopy.
Contract signed for Megantic section from Moosehead to Cdn. border.  50 miles of road from sherbrooke to be opened this year.  New contract will fill all but remaining 18 miles from Piscataquis to Moosehead Lake, as American section already provided for.  New railroad will shorten distance from Montreal to Maritimes by 118 miles.
            "Mr. Clark has removed to his house on Queen Street, in rear of his former Hotel, which was destroyed by fire last July."  Morrison's has undergone improvements and additions.  Details.  Central Exchange owner Adams being fitted up.  Passamaquoddy House, owner Mrs. McLeod, being prepared for summer.  Mr. Kennedy has enlarged and increased his hotel accommodation.


Sept 15/75
Mr. Clark intends erecting new hotel on same premises.  See photocopy.  And bathing house on shore.  Demand for accommodation increasing every year.
100 excusionists from Houlton and Woodstock in town.
We learn that Mr. Clark, proprietor of the Railway Hotel, destroyed by fire upwards of twelve months ago, purposes erecting a large Hotel on the site of the one destroyed.  The demand for accommodation is increasing every successive year, and Mr. Clarke has yielded to the wishes of his former patrons, and we are informed, will erect a handsome and commodious house, finished in modern style, with all the late improvements and conveniences.  In connection with the hotel he is to have large stables; and is negotating for the purchase of a shore property, where he intends building a Bathing House.  He will also have pleasure boats for sailing and rowing, and will spare no efforts to make his premises attractive to those who may please to patronize it. 


oct 25/76
Clarke still contemplating building hotel on old lot


Aug 14/78
80 guests at Kennedy's past 10 days, including Dr. Tupper.  List almost entirely Charlotte County, couple from Woodstock, Houlton, Boston.


Died--On the 6th inst., after a protracted illness, Mr. Michael Clark, in the 40th year of his age, and formerly of H. M. 62nd Regiment, and he was honorably discharged, with a Good Conduct Badge.  He was well known as the former proprietor of the Railroad Hotel, which he had ably conducted for several years, until it was destroyed a few years ago.


Jan 23/79
Kennedy's Hotel burns to the ground.  A new hotel to be built on the Clark Hotel lot, opposite Market Square.


March 19/79
Editor gives similar argument to above.
Hotel--Mr. Angus Kennedy has leased the International Hotel, and is building an addition which will contain Kitchen and bed rooms, and hopes to open it by May, if not sooner.  We understand he has purchased the old Railroad Hotel lot, (late Clarke's) and proposes erecting on it a large hotel, the plans for the edifice have been drawn and the building when erected will be a credit to the town.


April 9/79
The old "International" has been thoroughly renovated--painted, papered, and altered, and a large ell will be added.  Mr. Kennedy expects to open his hotel next week. . . .  His new premises are nearly opposite the Manchester House, and centrally located.


May 21/79
43 guests at Kennedy's week ending 20th.  Disgraceful practice of women walking for money reaches provinces.


June 16/79
Work commences on New Hotel, "and we have daily trains."  New Kennedy's just as popular as old.  Guests mostly Charlotte County, but a few from Boston, Halifax.


June 16/1880
Start made on Provincial Building, Fredericton.  We omitted to notice the sale of one of the most central and valuable properties in SA, fronting the Market Square, and familiarly known as the Railroad Hotel lot--where Edward Pheasant for many  years kept his hotel, and latterly owned by the late Michael Clark, whose executor disposed of it at private sale to Mr. Angus Kennedy, for $450.00, being $50.00 advance on the price offered at auction.  It is said that the present owner purposes erecting a large hotel of modern style, the front to be on a line with Water Street.


July 7/81
"The Hotel building recently erected by Mr. A. Kennedy on the lot formerly occupied by the Pheasant Hotel on the Square, is a very commodious sightly structure, an ornament to the town in which it is situated.  The internal arrangements of the building are of the most convenient and comfortable character,not surpassed by those of any similar establishment in the Dominion.  The parlors and dining room are spacious, the bedrooms large and airy, the ventilation of the house exceptionally good; the furniture new and tasteful.  On the premises are the indispensible conveniences of W. C.'s and bath rooms which are of the century valve style, the wash-basins are set in marble slabs, the faucets and couplings are of the latest patterns and nickle plated, the soil pipes extend upward through the roof, with fresh air inlet at foot and trapped outside to exclude impurre gases; traps and closets ventilated.  The bathroom is supplied with hot and cold water, and in it is a copper-lined tank with a capacity for 250 gallons. . . .  The color on the body of the house is light stone, and the trimmings a dark stone color."


Aug 18/81
A New Watering Place, by R. Melville Jack.  Photocopy missing.


First notice for Kennedy's Hotel.  "The Hotel contains baths and all other conveniences."  See earlier description, which lingered on bathroom watercloset facilities.


Oct 18/81
A Summer Visitor's Correspondence to the Norfolk Register, Randolph, Mass.
Part Two
"As your patience seems to be equal to the emergency in publishing my rambling jottings, I feel it to be incumbent on me to keep my promise of last week, while I try to give your readers a slight idea of the pleasures which are to be enjoyed by simply taking a vacation excursion, and stopping a short time in this delightful little border town.  Of the two principal hotels which I promised to describe, the Argyll is the largest and most imposing in appearance situated in the extreme eastern part of the town but a short distance from either the N. B. and C. Railway or the Steamboat Wharf, on a large tract of land which, together with the sum of $5,000 in cash, were contributed by the Town of SA towards this enterprise, and has already cost the owners thereof about $25,000 to which is expected to be added a large wing on the southeast side which will give this fine building a grand frontage of about 300 feet, by 50 feet in width, to which is attached an ell running back onthe northeast side, or rear, about 75 feet, making the distance from front to rear 125 feet, height three stories, with French roof, and tower or observatory, from which an excellent view of SA, NB; Robbinston, Maine; Chamcook Mountain, Passamaqoddy Bay, and all the islands of Charlotte County, both in Passmaquoddy Bay and Bay of Fundy, known as West Isles, may be had, which scene alone would compensate one well for hours of toil spent in striving to obtain it.  The entrance to this building is large and airy, leading into a spacious hall 50 feel long, 14 feet wide at entrance enlarging to 30 feet at the rear, from which access is had to the dining room, which is a large hall, 54 by 44 feet, with a 22 foot deiling, lighted and ventilated by eight large windows, four being one each side, and at night by handsome six light chandeliers.  Adjoining the dining room is a large billiard hall, 21 by 44 feet, which like all parts of this house is newly furnished in the most modern style.  . . .  The range, which is one of the French wroght iron improved, has a cooking capacity for 300 peresons.  All the rooms are large and airy, being supplied with every conveniece and excellent ventilation.  The gent's parlor whichis on the right of the entrance is 20 feet square, and fitted with everything necessary for east and comfort.  The ladies' parlors, of which there are two, one being 22 feet, while the other is 17 fet square, connected or divided at will by folding doors, are richly furnished and carpeted, one being supplied with a Wheelock piano, the other with a Burdette organ.  The basement is divided into five compartments, all of which are called into use daily.  There is also a good livery stable in connection with the house, wehre good horses and carriages of the latest Provincial and American styles may be had a very moderate rates.  Capt. Herbert, the proprietor of the Argyll aided by his wife, formerly of the Grand Falls Hotel, Grand Falls, N. B., will always be found about his business of which he is master, trying to make his guests comfortable and happy, in which he has attained a fair degree of success.
"Kennedy's Hotel, of which the owner and gentlemanly proprietor, Mr. Angus Kennedy, is also manager, is located on Market Square, Water Street, (on the site formerly occupied for many years by the Railroad House, E. Pheasant, proprietor,) has a frontage of 50 feet, extends back 104 feet, and is three stories in height with a hip roof.  It is a very commodious and handsome structure, while its internal arrangements are convenience, comfortable and airy.  The rooms are large, high and well ventilated, and fitted with all themodern conveniences.  The furniture, carpets, etc., are all new and very tastefully selected from the very latest designs and styles.  The house in point of completeness of arrangement and elegance of finish, manner of ventilation, etc., will compare favorably with hotels of the same capacity either in the United States or Canada.  Two verandas run along the front on the first and second stories.  The entrance is large, opening into a spacioushall 44 feet long and 12 feet wide, from which doors open to the office, coat and washrooms, sample rooms, private parlor, and large dining room, in the rear."


Aug 16/83
Kennedy's Hotel is receiving very large patronage, being full nearly all the time. . . .  by a concensus of opinion it is admitted to be one of the best hotels in the province.


July 1/86
Argyll can sleep 250.  Dining room seats 300.  Kennedy's can sleep 150.  Dining room 100.  Lansdowne smaller.  Leased by Mrs. Randall on Water St.


June 28/88
The erection of a mammoth hotel building at Indian Point, is one of the possibilities of the near future.  Mr. R. S. Gardiner and Capt. W. B. Sears of Boston arrived here Monday last and are registered at Kennedy's Hotel.  The SA Land Co have decided to commence forthwith with the erection of a two-story brick building with basement on the lot corner of Water and Prince Streets.  To be used as a club room and offices.  The specifications for the erection of the first house on Indian Point are now in the hands of contractors for tenders.


Aug 15/95
Kennedy's hotel now enjoys a first-class water supply.  On the upper floor of the house a large tank holding hundreds of gallons has been erected.  This tank is kept constantly filled by a windmill pump which draws the water from an artesian well.  Leading from the tank are iron pipes which carry the water to the several floors.  A fire hose is connected to this pipe, so that the house is amply protected against emergencies.


May 20/97
Best hotels in province: SA--Algonquin and Kennedy's; Chamcook, Townsend Cottage; Grand Manan, Marathan House; SS, Windsor Hotel; Woodstock, Carlisle Hotel; Fred, Queen Hotel; SJ, Royal Hotel, Dufferin Hotel.