Old St. Andrews



McAdam Junction



McAdam Station (formerly City Camp)


Dec 29/1869
Passengers at City Camp not informed branch to St. Andrews open.


May 28/1879
The NB&C Railway cannot build the branch between McAdam and Vanceboro this season, as permission has to be obtained from the Dominion and U.S. governments.


July 17/1879
The Branch Railroad between McAdam and Vanceboro is being constructed with considerable rapidity, and will be probably open to traffic early in the coming fall.  While, to outsiders this piece of road looks to be entirely unnecessary, if the parties interested in it and in the now established road would consider their differences reasonably, it may on its completion very greatly affect adversely the business both for the St. John and Maine, and the E. and N. A. Roads, while tending to benefit in the same degree the N. B and C. Road. By the way this N. B. and C. road, while was a sort of standing joke, for large feeling railroad men, and which even now is, on account of the utilitarian rather than ornamental character of its equipments slightly regarded by many, is yearly becoming a more important feature among our railroad, it has developed a very large milling an lumber business along its line; has become the chief artery of trade communication with the u-river Counties on both sides of the line, and is, probably, under its very prudent management, making more money than any other road in the lower Provinces at all events. It may be stated in this connection that the work of relaying the track north from McAdam Junction has been in progress for some days past, and probably the whole 12,000 tons of new steel rails will have been placed before this is published.—Carleton Sentinel


St. Croix Courier
May 13/1880
A sign in Railroad business. (McAdam very busy. As many as 7 separate trains may be seen there any one time. 5 per day. Used by NB and C, and Saint John and Maine Railroads.’


St. Croix Courier
Sept 22/1881
Capt. Herbert has rented the Junction House at McAdam and intends running it through the winter.


March 13/1884
The argument for St. Andrews as a winter port:
--458 miles from Montreal to St. John via Mattawamkeag and McAdam
--312 miles from Mtl to Mattawamkeag
--62 miles from Mattawamkeag to McAdam
--42 miles from McAdam to SA
--416 miles from Mtl to SA, a savings of 42 miles


May 9/1889
Excursion to SA
One of Raymond's Celebrated Vacation Parties Coming to the Town
One of Raymond's vacation excursion parties it to make a grand tour of nineteen days through the Maritime Provinces this summer, including a comprehensive round of travel through New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Cape Breton Island, with visits to SA, Fredericton, St. John, the Annapolis valley, and other interesting points in NB and NS. The party will leave Boston Friday, July 12, and will return Tuesday July 30. The journey to and from the Provinces will be made in Pullman palace cars.
            It is only natural that on entering upon Canadian territory, the first place the excursionists would visit would be the 'summer port' of Canada--SA. As some of our readers may be interested in knowing what they have to say about St. Andrews and the attractions it has to offer, we make the following extract from the elegant and comprehensive programme which the promoters of the excursion have sent out:
"Six miles east of Vanceboro, at McAdam Junction, are the shops of the New Brunswick Railway. The tasteful office and residence of Mechanical Superintendent Haggerty are just above the station, and the grounds are laid out in semblance of the deck and prow of a steamship. Two handsome natives of the forest, in the form of a pair of deer, are encaged near Mr. Haggerty's office. At McAdam we turn southward on a branch line of railway in order to visit St. Andrews, NB, forty-two and a half miles from that point.


How to Get Here
Routes the Summer Tourists can take to Reach SA
SA is reached by direct rail routes from Boston, Portland, Montreal, and Saint John, and by the International Lien of Steamers from Boston, Portland and Saint John, via Eastport
From Boston, passengers leaving by the Boston and Maine RR at 7 pm (except Saturdays) arrive at St. Andrews at noon the next day. Under the summer schedule, in effect June 24th, passengers can also leave by Boston and Maine RR in the morning (by through Pullman cars, via Maine Central and NB Railways), arriving in St. Andrews the same evening to tea.
            From Boston, by steamers of the International Steamship Company (leaving every other day at 9 am for Portland and Saint John), passengers connect at Eastport the next day with the boats of the Frontier Steamship Company for Sa, twelve miles distant, arriving at noon.
            From Montreal, trains over the CPR with Parlor cars attached, reach St. Andrews in twelve hours.
From Saint John, all west-bound trains over the NB Railway make connections at McAdam Junction for St. Andrews. From Saint John, passengers by the international Line of Steamers connect at Eastport, as above, twelve miles from SA, arriving Nat noon.
            From Calais, Maine, the Frontier Steamship Company runs a daily boat to Eastport and return, touching morning and afternoon at St. Andrews. Visitors taking the morning boat at St. Andrews for Eastport have a few hours there, or to visit Campobello, and can return to St. Andrews the same afternoon to dinner.


July 4/1889
The Round House at McAdam is being constructed by the NBR and not by the CPR Company. The latter will probably use it.


May 1/1890
The “palace” car, which has been running on the St. Andrews branch during the winter, has been placed out of sight at McAdam Junction, and the bright summer cars are once running. Glad of it.


May 29/1890
Railway Men on the Wing
Sir George Stephen, president of the Canada Pacific railway, General Manager Van Horne, Mr. Meighen, one of the directors of the N. B. R. and Manager Cram, arrived in St. Andrews by special train on Tuesday afternoon from Edmunston. It was raining heavily when the train reached here, and their stay was very short. Manager Van Horne and Sir George Stephen were driven by Mr. Mallory to the Algonquin hotel, and made a hurried inspection of the hotel. From there they returned to the station, and the special started off again. The Canada Pacific magnates caught the CPR train at McAdam and returned to Montreal.


July 12/1890
An Accommodation
Wed. the manager of the Bank of Montreal reached Vanceboro by CP train too late to take the train to St. Andrews. So he telegraphed to McAdam and succeeded in detaining the US Mail 2 hours, while a locomotive was dispatched for him. Calais people who were inquiring and waiting for the afternoon mail regard this as a joke that must not be repeated. No banker lives who is a greater man than Uncle Sam. –Calais Times


Aug. 7/1890
The Railway
All the formalities of the transfer of the NB railway to the CPR have been completed, and except in name the road is now a portion of the great system which encircles the North American continent. The name of the NB railway will continue, for the present at least. Mr Timmerman, the new manger, entered upon his duties on Friday last, and Mr. Cram is now taking a well-earned rest at St. Andrews before embarking into other ventures. Mr. John Stewart, who was superintendent of the northern division, has had his jurisdiction extended, and he is now acting as superintendent of the entire division. This a good move,, and shows Mr. Timmerman to be a level-headed man. There is a probability that Superintendent Stewart will make McAdam his headquarters. Mr. Timmerman remarked to a reporter that the only other change would be in car accounting. This business will be managed from Montreal. There will be some changes in office methods, due to a change in the system, but the staff will continue for the most part as at present. Mr. Timmerman has hade an inspection of the whole road. He has made a favourable impression upon those he has come into contact, and he has been favourably impressed himself. He is pleased with his place of residence, and we have to doubt that he will soon and easily adapt himself to the surroundings.


Aug. 21/1890
The Canada Pacific
General Manager Van Horne Talks to the Beacon
SJ to be the Eastern Terminus, St. Andrews may become a Coal Depot


The people of St. Andrews have been looking forward for some time to a visit from General manager Van Horne, and they have got it. The big railway manager came down from St. Stephen in a carriage, on Wednesday afternoon, bringing with him assistant manager Shaughnessy, General Superintendent Timmerman, Mr. white, M. P. for Pembroke, Ontario, and Messrs. McLean and Cross, of the Shore Line Railway. Superintendent McPeake, of the latter line, came here the same evening.
. . . “Is there any intention on the part of the CPR to remove the McAdam machine shops?”
            “No, they are in the right place. It is a central point, the roads radiating from it in different directions. There will always have to be shops there. It would mean a difference of perhaps $50,000 a year in the working of the road to remove the shops from where they are now.”


May 21/1891
Death of Captain Herbert
In the death of Capt. W. H. Herbert, proprietor of the Argyll hotel, which occurred on Monday afternoon after an illness extending over a few weeks, St. Andrews has sustained a very heavy loss. Capt Herbert was a native of Wiscasset, Maine, and was 57 years of age. He was thrice married, but leaves no issue, his third wife surviving him. In early life he followed the sea, and for a number of years was a successful shi- captain. After abandoning sailor life, he went into the hotel business. He conducted the Grand Falls hotel for a period, and also the Junction House at McAdam Junction. Two [ten] years ago, when the Argyll was opened, Capt. Herbert became lessee; in that capacity he operated the hotel successfully for a number of years. He subsequently purchased the property, and year by year since then he has been developing and improving it. He was an ardent believer in the future of SA, and his hopefulness, good nature and genial presence made him welcome everywhere. Generous to fault, honest and straightforward in all his dealings, he was esteemed by all who knew him. In his domestic relation she was unusually happy. He was an excellent hose, and as landlord of the Argyll did much towards popularizing St. Andrews as a summer resort. We shall ever miss his kindly smile, his encouraging word and his honest, hearty grasp of the hand. The remains of the deceased were taken by train to “Richmond, Maine, on Tuesday for interment. We understand that arrangements have been made whereby the hotel will be operated this year.


Oct 22/1891
Junction House at McAdam still open. Railway boarding house being finished up.


Aug. 4/1892
Flying to St. Andrews. President Van Horne Makes Fast Time Between Saint John and St. Andrews.
The railroad record between Saint John and St. Andrews was badly fractured on Friday last. The parties largely responsible for this deed were John McKenna and “Haggerty’s flyer.”
            It was 1:50 o’clock, standard time, when President Van Horne of the CPR, and his son R. B. Van Horne; Vice-president Shaughnessy; Lt. Governor Kirkpatrick, of Ontario; R. B.  Angus, a prominent director of the CPR; Superintendent Timmerman, of the Atlantic Division; H. H. McLean, managing director of the Shore Line railway, and two or three other officials of lesser note, settled themselves in Mr. Van Horne’s sumptuous private car “Saskatchewan” at the Saint John station, preparatory to making one of the fastest runs ever made between that city and the Canadian Saratoga.
            But one other car, a baggage car, constituted the train. “Haggerty’s flyer,” the re-modelled locomotive, which recently left the hands of the McAdam machinists, was in advance.  Tom McKenna, the veteran driver of the road, held the lever. Master Mechanic Haggerty, who was anxious to see what his pet machine would go, also occupied a seat in the cab.
            At 1:52 Conductor Ned Cassidy called out “all aboard.” Scarcely had the words passed his lips before the throttle of the engine was pulled open, and out of the station the train flew, as an arrow shot from a bow. With speed unslackened, it shot up along Strait Shore, and out towards the “cantilever” bridge, while crowds of spectators gathered along the streets in the vicinity and gazed at it in anxious wonder. There was a slight decrease of speed in crossing the bridge, but when it was passed, the engine was once more given its head. When the first seven miles had been traversed, it was seen that but ten minutes had been used up. About this time the occupants of the “Saskatchewan” sat down to dinner. They found it rather hazardous work sipping their coffee while their train was cleaving the atmosphere at a sixty-five mile gait, so a request was made to run a little slower until the mal was over. Tom was a little disappointed, but in obedience to orders, he reduces the speed during the next eighteen miles. The firs stop was made at Fredericton Junction, which was reached at 2:46. At 2:50 the train was off again.
            With the President’s meal finished, and a straight track ahead, the engineer pulled the lever out to the furthest notch. The big engine bounded forward, leaving behind her great clouds of smoke. At 3:15 Harvey station (20 miles from Fredericton Junction) was left behind, and on towards McAdam the train thundered. At “the North-east,” says Conductor Cassidy, she was reeling a 68-mile clip, which was the fastest time done during he whole journey. McAdam was reached at 3:36. While the wheels were being examined there, Wm. Davis, engineer of the St. Andrews express, went on board the engine to pilot McKenna into St. Andrews. The party in the car were likewise augmented by Mr. Robert Meighen, of Montreal, and his son.
            At 3:46, ten minutes after her arrival at the junction, the train was speeding off towards St. Andrews. The fifteen miles intervening between McAdam and Watt Junction were covered in 17 minutes. That speed would doubtless have been maintained to St. Andrews if Supt. Timmerman had not ordered the engineer to run the rest of the distance at thirty miles an hour. Ti was not intended to make any further stops, but when Rolling Dam was being approached, the vigilant engineer noticed a red flag at the station. He hauled his train up, and while the section foreman was explaining that the flat was left there by mistake, a drop or two of tallow was placed on a hot journal.
            The rest of the journey was without incident, the train running into St. Andrews at 4:45 o’clock, having traversed the 127 miles in 173 minutes, including stops. Deducting the stops the running time was 2 hours and 38 minutes.
. . . On alighting at SA, Mr. Shaughnessy approached the engineer, and expressed his gratification at the satisfactory run he had made.
            While Mr. Van Horne and two or three others of the party drove to Minister’s island in Mallory’s barouche to inspect his new cottage, the remainder betook themselves to the Algonquin. On returning from the island, Mr. Van Horne and lt. Governor Kirkpatrick were entertained at dinner by Sir Leonard Tilley.
            At 4 o’clock the following morning, Mr. Van Horne’s party departed from St. Andrews.


Sept 28, 1893
A Miserable Service
There are those who think that whatever of good or evil “the gods send us” should be accepted without murmuring. But we are not far enough advanced in grace yet to subscribe to that millennial doctrine. If something is sent us or imposed on us which we feel is going to be disadvantageous to the public or ourselves, we propose “kicking” at it. And if ever there was occasion for “kicking” it is now, when the CPR have inflicted on us such a miserable train service. Never, since the Beacon has been published, has St. Andrews been so badly served by the railway people as it is now. According to the new time-table, the train leave at 7 o’clock in the morning, and is booked to arrive at 5 pm standard time! And as the St. Andrews engine is expected to run to McAdam, then toss, back to Watt junction and down to St. Andrews in the interim, we fear that it will more frequently be 7 o’clock when she arrives.


Aug 29/1895
The market for sardines has been so depressed that many of the Maine factories have begun to close down. In Eastport, the shut down will be severely felt, as hundreds of people are wholly dependent on the factories to carry them through the winter. It will also be felt among the island fishermen.


The splendid grain crop of Manitoba has made such demands upon the CPR rolling stock that all the repair shops along the line are being filled up with men to provide cars and engines to haul the grain to market. The McAdam shops have been placed on full time and a great many new men are being hired.


March 11/1897
The CPR Railway
Have Done a good Business At Saint John
Supt. Timmerman Says the Railway May Make St. Andrews a Coal Storage Depot. He talks on other topics Interestingly
Supt. Timmerman, of the CPR, favored the Beacon with a call on Thursday afternoon. In the brief conversation the Beacon had with him it was learned that the CPR were greatly pleased with the results of their freight experiments at Saint John this winter. “So great has been the rush of freight,” said Mr. Timmerman, “that at some periods we have had as many as 750 loaded cars on the siding between Saint John and McAdam. We have done about four times the amount of traffic that we did the previous winter, and I might say that this could have been doubled had the required steamships been available. The business of the moth of December, and of January, too, exceeded the entire business of last winter, so that you can readily see how traffic has increased. Saint John needs more wharf space, but this winter we have experienced no trouble from that source. Everything has moved along smoothly.”
            The Beacon suggested that the time was near at hand when the CPR should be considering the advisability of utilizing the port of St. Andrews in conjunction with Saint John , but on this point the genial superintendent did not commit himself, contenting himself with the remark that he understood there was a good site for a deep water wharf on the eastern side of Indian Point park, and that the present was a good time to strike the governments for raid.
            Asked about the prospects of the coal business returning to SA, Mr. Timmerman said that the experiences of the past few months had rather opened his eyes to the necessity of having a reserve store of coal, and he thought it not improbably that three or four thousand tons would be stored at St. Andrews. He promised that the would confer with Mr. Sutherland, freight agent, with respect to quoting a low rate on up-country lumber from this port, and he also before bidding the Beacon goodbye held out he hope that the coming summer resort season would be a good one. He could give no assurance however, that the CPR would carry out its idea of erecting another summer hotel here.


Oct 21/1897
Booming McAdam
There is evidently an intention on the part of the CPR to boom McAdam. A street is being laid out and ten new dwelling houses of good quality are being contracted for. Arrangements are being made to supply the station building and Junction House with hot water and an electric plant is, we understand, being constructed in the machine shop; when completed the yard, station buildings and hotel will be lighted by incandescent lamps.—Carleton Sentinel.


April 28/1898
The contract for the construction of the new station house at McAdam has been awarded to Tomkins and Co., whose tender was the lowest. The building will be 180 x 36 feet, and will be constructed of McAdam granite, with freestone trimmings. On the lower floor of the station building will be the restaurant, waiting rooms, ticket office and baggage room. Upstairs will be the dispatchers’ offices, and sleeping rooms for travellers.


Jan 5/1899
The Winter Port Trade
“The winter port traffic over the road this season,” said Station Agent Gilliland of McAdam Junction to the Beacon, “is really enormous, nearly double what it was last year. On an average, one hundred and eighty cars of freight pass through McAdam yard every day bound for Saint John. There are nearly one thousand cars of freight at Saint John and vicinity awaiting shipment. This congestion is due to the unforeseen delays in the Manchester Line steamers.”


March 1, 1900
Mr. Joseph McVay, of SS, has secured the contract for the new CPR station buildings at McAdam. They are to be built of brick and stone, at a cost of about 30,000 dollars.


June 14/1900
McAdam’s New Station
It will be a thing of beauty and a Joy forever, though now surrounded by swamps.
Half a mile to the westward of the present station at McAdam is the new station that is being constructed by Mr. Joseph McVay, of SS, for the CPR. The one story that is now almost completed indicates that the new building will not only be a large and substantial one, but a remarkably handsome structure as well. It will be two storeys in height, with a middle section of three stories. From this middle section a tower will point heavenward. The ground area of the building is 36 x 133 feet. There is a basement averaging ten feet in depth. The walls of this basement are composed of three feet of solid granite, so that the foundations will be sufficiently ample for all demands likely to be made upon them. The walls of the main building are 20 inches in thickness. The interior weight is supported by immense iron girders, which are firmly founded in granite.
            The building will serve a double purpose. The western half will be utilized as a hotel and restaurant, while the eastern section will be used for distinctively railway purposes. On the main floor, hotel section, will be a lunch room 20 x 30 feet, with a dining room opening off it, 30 x 30 feet. The opposite end of the main floor will be taken up with waiting rooms and closes, ticket agents’ office, express and baggage room.
            On the second floor of the hotel section there will be a ladies’ parlor, waiting room, bathroom and bedrooms. The railway section will embrace operators’ rooms and rooms for the superintendent, agent and customs officer.
            The third storey, the area of which is 36 x 50 feet, will be utilized as sleeping rooms.
            The basement will be employed as a kitchen, scullery, engine-room and for the storage of coal.
            The building will be composed almost entirely of white and grey McAdam granite. The corners are being ornamented with Welsford red Granite. Broad, arched windows on either side furnish light for the main floor. There will be doorways opening out to the track on either side.
            Mr. McVey, whose contract covers only stone and mason work, has about 30 hands employed. He is performing his work in a thorough manner.
            It is the intention of the railway company when the building is completed to beautify its surroundings. At present there is little to attract the eye but woods and swamps. With a miniature lake on one side of the track, and unlimited room on the other side for adornment there is no reason why the situation should not be made a very beautiful one. The plan of McAdam contemplates the laying out of a number of streets and roads in the near vicinity of the new station. Already, corner lots in the new town are being taken up.


Jan 31, 1901
The new CPR station at McAdam, with hotel and restaurant accommodations, is now being used.


March 28/1901
New station house at McAdam a thing of beauty.


May 9/1901
The CPR people are showing renewed interest in the summer resort features of St. Andrews. This year they propose giving the place the best passenger service it has ever enjoyed. There will be two fast trains per day for passenger traffic entirely. Visitors to St. Andrews will have no further occasion to grumble about delays between McAdam and their destination. [Shaughnessy influence?]


Sept 5/1901
There is a report that the new station at McAdam is to have its name changed to “Van Horne,” Though Sir William has had more to do with the construction of the CPR than any other living man, there is not a single station on the line that bears his name.


Dec 25/1902
McAdam Improvements—the CPR station at McAdam is to be greatly enlarged during the coming year. An annex is to be built to the west of the present building, which will be occupied on the first floor by the dining room, lunch room an kitchen. The annex will be connected with the existing station on the second storey, a passage way being left on the platform for train passengers to walk through. The new dining hall will have double the capacity of the present one and the lunch counter will also be enlarge. The rooms at present occupied as dining hall and lunch room will be turned into waiting and smoking rooms for gentlemen, while the general waiting room will be utilized as a ladies’ room. These alterations and additions will be decided improvements, as the present dining and waiting room spaces are entirely too small.


June 29/1905
Prosperous Railway Town, McAdam, Grows Apace. Details


Feb 8/1906
The CPR yards and sidings on the main line are crowded with ocean freight. At McAdam alone there are 389 cars of ocean freight


Beacon (f9822)
March 11/1916
The C. P. R. and St. Andrews
Many complaints have reached us lately, and we make complaint on our own account, of the single daily train to which the C. P. R. limits is for nine months of the year, being allowed to leave McAdam so frequently before the arrival of the Montreal train. The Montreal mail and Express parcels are of prime importance to the people of SA, and it is intolerable that these should be so often held up for twenty-four hours. St. Stephen has two trains daily, and the departure of the morning train from McAdam before the arrival of the Montreal train does not affect it so adversely as it does St. Andrews. Such early departure not only delays unnecessarily the arrival at St. Andrews of Montreal mails and Express packages, but it also compels passengers from the West to St. Andrews to remain nearly twenty-four hours at McAdam. In the summertime, when the knights and bannerettes [sic] and plutocrats honor St. Andrews with their august presence, special trains are provided for the convenience of Algonquin guests and favored cottagers. The C. P. R. should have some consideration for the common people, and the mercantile interests of this long-suffering Town.


St. Croix Courier
Sept 27/1928
A trip by train from Fredericton to SS, especially this time of year is certainly worth taking. Leaving the celestial at 4:15 in the afternoon, the run down the Saint John river is very interesting and the scenery along the “Rhine of America” which is hard to beat any place, is looking its best now. When a little ways below Victoria Mills the train shoots inland across a beautiful stretch of country into Sunbury county. This part of the country is very level and contains many well kept and up-to-date farms. The crops look good and the farmers are prosperous. Presently Fredericton Junction is reached where you change cars. After a short wait, passengers board the Montreal express and are soon hustling westward through Tracey, Harvey and other smaller stations into York county. At McAdam there is hustle and bustle, people running hither and thither to get on their right trains, as another change of cars is made here. This part of the journey is through very pretty scenery with its lakes and streams. The autumn colors of red and yellow make a very pretty effect mingled as it is with the different tints of green foliage of the magnificent trees which line the right of way, while dotted here and there are well built and comfortable farm houses and stores, surrounded by well kept gardens. We turn tarry half an hour at McAdam where there is time for lunch before the St. Stephen train pulls out. In the meantime trains for Woodstock, Saint John and Boston have come and gone.
            McAdam is a very busy place where there is always something doing in the railway line. The trip from this point on is very picturesque, especially so after the entrance into Charlotte County past Watt Junction, Pennfield, Moore’s Mills and other enterprising and hustling little settlements.


St. Croix Courier
July 20/1939
Edit: Fredericton needs the road from McAdam paved. Tourists turning away.


St. Croix Courier
Sept 29/1955
Twice-daily Saint John /Mtl Service replaced with once-daily diesel hauled Atlantic Limited. Waits up to 4 hours at McAdam for connecting passengers. New train arrives from Montreal at 6:20 am; leaves for Montreal at 12:10 am.


St. Croix Courier
Aug 7/1958
CPR Discontinues Passenger Train Service Aug 18th. Effective Aug 18 a bus service will substitute passenger train service between St. Stephen and McAdam, according to Fred W. Allen, CPR agent in St. Stephen. The bus service is to expressly substitute the passenger train service being curtailed at that date by means of buses arriving and leaving at the railway station in McAdam and St. Stephen and along the route. Railway tickets and sleeping cars reservations are to be procured at the CPR stations as in the past and will be used as passage fares on buses. Meanwhile passenger train service between St. Andrews and McAdam will be dropped at a later date, Sept 8, at which time a bus service will then be improvised. Trains will run between St. Andrews and McAdam presumably until this date because of the Algonquin Hotel remaining open until then.


St. Croix Courier
Aug 21/1958
Transportation Service Appears Better in Area. Buses Seem Faster Give Good Service Cost Less or Same
“Cause of the curtailment of CPR passenger train service between St. Stephen and McAdam and contemplation of the same thing between St. Andrews and McAdam Sept 8 is placed upon higher costs of operation and fewer passengers. The CPR evidently feel all around better passenger service is now being provided and a money saving exists on the part of the company. A one-hour layover at McAdam previously when passengers wished to go to Fredericton is eliminated as well as a one-hour layover at Fredericton Junction.
            Unofficial statistics of the CPR indicated the railroad had not sold more than one-half dozen passenger tickets from Saint John to St. Stephen within the past 12 months. Passengers to St. Stephen on a daily basis via CPR averaged 7 a day. This a reason for the change.”


St. Croix Courier
Jan 15/1959
Dissatisfaction Reigns as Buses Reported Inadequate. CPR official promises will look into matter regarding passengers. Main problem passengers arriving in McAdam from Boston and Montreal missing bus and forced into long wait or to hiring taxi.


St. Croix Courier
Oct 1/1959
Lunchroom Stays Open. McAdam Inn Closes. After more than 50 years of operation, CPR Hotel at Macadam closed Sept 30. 17 rooms plus dining room. Edith E. Quinn manager last 18 years. From Montreal. There 41 years.


Nov 8/1973
McAdam Train Station was once a bustling center. Excellent photo.


Jan 31/1974
Excellent photo of McAdam Station Bldg.


St. Croix Courier
June 17/1981
CPR station in McAdam to be named historic site.


St. Croix Courier
Sept 21/1983
McAdam Train Station to be designated National Historic Site in two days. See Article Sept 28. Good photo. Two wings added by CPR 1910-11. (coincidence with Algonquin expansion?)


St. Croix Courier
Sept 28/1983
McAdam Station: existing wooden structure replaced 1904. Two wings added 1910-11. W. H. Painter. Scottish castle. 30,000. Contractor Joseph McVay. Hotel on 2nd floor closed 1959, “nice but not too fancy.” Lunch counter closed 1976. used to see 16 trains daily. According to Labour Adjustment Programs Committee President Neil Anderson, 35,000 tourists would visit annually if opened as attraction. Article by Elaine Bateman. Conference rooms, banquet facilities. King’s Landing and St. Andrews mayor Jack Boone supportive of link.


St. Croix Courier
Feb 15/1984
“Transportation Bible” of 1868 discusses rail routes of the 1880’s. Two photos of McAdam Junction 1889. In CC Archives. Article reproduced from earlier Courier.


St. Croix Courier
May 8/1985
CP has turned down request from McAdam Town Council to help fund feasibility study on making train station tourist attraction. Safety concerns alleged: tracks on both sides owned by CP, Via service returning. 6-room hotel.


St. Croix Courier
Feb 17/1988
[third and last in series]
Local International railway link one of few that makes a profit. (CN and CP considering abandoning 49 percent of all track in 3 maritime provinces, including SS/SA/McAdam section. Deregulation and Bill C18, passed in August, at root of idea. No traffic on Limeburner Lake/SA section, and proposed development of Water/Patrick area hinges on track removal.


St. Croix Courier
Dec 22/1992
Photo of McAdam railway station stamp. Handsome front view.


St. Croix Courier
June 21/1994
McAdam Railway station renovation program is on. (Plans to turn into hotel/restaurant complex. See also July 26, A-8.