Old St. Andrews



A. T. Bowser



A. T. Bowser and Cedar Croft


Sept 9/1897
Another Summer Cottage
Rev. A. T. Bowser, of Wilmington, Delaware, who has been an annual visitor at St. Andrews for several years with his interesting family, has purchased the Peter Carroll farm, consisting of 20 acres on Cedar Lane, in the outskirts of the town, and will begin the erection this fall of a comfortable summer residence. The situation he has chosen is a most sightly one, commanding a splendid view of the Bay. Its nearness to the golf grounds and to the beach will make it a delightful spot for a summer home. The purchase price of the property is said to be $2000. Plans for the cottage have been prepared by Mr. Robert Stevenson. It will be known as “Cedar Cottage.” The building will cost about $3500. St. Andrews people will be delighted to have Mr Bowser as a permanent summer resident.


Oct 7, 1897
Foundation for Bowser cottage completed. Lumber on site.


Oct 21/1897
A Handsome Cottage
A fortnight ago the first blow on the superstructure of the Bowser cottage, Cedar Lane, was struck by Messr. Stevenson and McKenzie. Today the building is erected, boarded in, roofed, and the interior lathed throughout ready for the plasterers. The brick fireplaces in the hall, parlor and dining room are also well advanced. Outside, the carpenters are engaged in constructing the plaza, which extends along two sides of the building with a pagoda on the corner. This piazza is ten feet wide. The interior of the house is laid off very comfortably. The dining room and parlor are on the front of the house, which has as southern exposure. Behind the parlor, is a large hall, with a stairway leading to the second floor, and behind the dining room are two kitchens. There are five sleeping rooms and bath room on the second floor Above this is quite a large attic.
            A bicycle shed and play house combined is to be erected in the rear of the dwelling.


March 24, 1898
Stevenson and McKenzie now finishing up Bowser cottage.


May 12/1898
A large hay barn is being erected at Bowserville, Cedar Lane.


June 30/1898
Cedar Croft is the very pretty name that Rev. A. T. Bowser has bestowed upon his very pretty cottage on Cedar Lane.


March 30/1899
The finishing of the grading around Rev. Mr. Bowser’s summer cottage, “Cedar Lane, is now going on under the supervision of Mr. P. J. MacNamara, the well known landscape gardener of St. Stephen. Flower beds are to be laid out, and a huge black birch tree, weighing several tons, is to be planted nearby.


May 18/1899
Cedar Croft
Rev. A. T. Bowser’s Beautiful Summer Home at Cedar Lane
Picturesque as was the site chosen by Rev. A. T. Bowser, of Wilmington, Delaware, for the erection of his summer home, its picturesqueness has been doubly enhanced by the improvements which have been made to the grounds since the house was closed last session.
            The old “worm fence” which formerly enclosed the property, has been removed, and in its place stands a wire fence of very neat pattern , supported by a circular posts, painted to correspond wit the house. The growth of stunted, gnarled cedars on either side of the roadway has been weeded out, and the earth graded. Within the fence a cedar hedge interspersed with ornamental trees, has been planted, and is looking very thrifty.
            The approach to the grounds has been arranged so that carriages may easily swing through the massive gates. By the way, these gates are worthy of more than passing notice. They are of rustic pattern, constructed of cedar, with the bark upon it, the design being very artistic. The words “Cedar Croft:” are fashioned out of cedar on them, also the letters “A.” “ B,” the initials of the owner. Large cedar posts, firmly braced with iron, keep the gates in position
            Within the grounds, between the gateway and the house, artistic flower beds, and little grass plots, bordered with gravelled paths, and a broad carriage drive, have been laid out. The top of an unsightly knoll as been crowned with a circular flower garden, so that the desert of rock with was heretofore so much in evidence will not literary “blossom as the rose.” Some of the flower beds are already planted, while other are awaiting a little water before they are filled with bloomers. One of the attractions of the grounds is massive birch tree, which was transplanted from Minister’s Island. It has taken firm root in its new home and is shooting forth its leaves in lusty fashion. All that is wanting to complete the beauty of the place is some warm weather and a little rain to warm and water the earth, and hasten the growth of the tree and the grass.
            The improvements to the grounds were the work of Mr. P. J. MacNamara, SS, and they certainly reflect credit upon his skill and taste. The gate, which is really a work of art, was fashioned by Emery Hartford, of St. Stephen. Mr. A. A. Laflin, of SS, has recently been painting the verandah of the house.


July 13/1899
In Summer at Cedar Croft
(written by a lad of twelve years)
Henry Reed Bowser


June 14/1900
Another summer resident who St. Andrews feels honored in possessing is Rev. Alexander T. Bowser, of Wilmington, Delaware. Mr. Bowser has not been a resident of St. Andrews many years, but during the few years that he has been living here he has got very near to the hearts of its people. He has established one of the cosiest and yet most beautiful summer houses that can be found anywhere on the elevated ground adjacent to the golf links. It is also in close proximity to a beautiful bathing beach. The prospect from its broad verandah is picturesque in the extreme. To the left is the town, nestling amid the trees, a veritable sleeping beauty. On the right, the golf ground, with its velvety sward, stretches away towards the woods, while in the middle distance harbor and island and river complete a picture of rare loveliness. Not the least attractive features of “Cedar Croft” are its beautiful house and ground. In Mr. and Mrs. Bowser and their two bright lads are combined qualities of heart and mind which made their summer home little short of an earthly paradise.


Aug 22/1901
Rev. A. T. Bowser, who is one of St. Andrews most esteemed summer residents, is pastor of the leading Unitarian church of Wilmington.


July 28/1904
Sad Death
Mrs. Nosse passes away suddenly.
The death of Mrs. Nosse, wife of the consul-general of Japan, who with her husband and three little daughters was a guest at Sir William Van Horne’s summer residence, Minister’s island, occurred on Monday afternoon late, after about a week’s illness. It was a great shock to her family and friends, as her case showed no alarming symptoms until Monday noon, when she passed away. The deceased had but recently returned from Japan. She was s charming young woman of 35 years of age, the idol of her husband and children. The body was embalmed by Mr. J. R. Sederquest, of St. Stephen. On Monday afternoon, after a short service b y Rev. A. T Bowser, Unitarian, the body was placed in a special car provided by the CPR, and taken to Montreal.


Aug 31/1905
Approaching and putting competition: Wm. Shaughnessy wins men’s prize, Miss Mackay ladies prize, and Robert Bowser boy’s.


Aug 6/1908
            Rev. A. T. Bowser, a leading member of the Unitarian denomination, recently pastor of the First Unitarian church at Atlanta, Georgia, has been so long and intimately identified with the summer interests of St. Andrews that he is regarded as a citizen in full fellowship and not as a stranger within its gates. Of a most kind and loveable disposition he is respected by the community at large.


St. Croix Courier
July 21/1955
Women’s club Places 14 homes on Day Tour of St. Andrews.
A tour of “the stately homes” of this summer resort by-the-sea will be held Tuesday, August 2, from 2-6 p.m. when the third house and garden party day held here in four year will be sponsored by St. Andrews Women’s Canadian Club. The tour will take in 14 houses and gardens and two gardens of houses not included in the day’s itinerary.
            Many of these homes contain valuable antiques and painting by well known artists while others are famous for the original design and furnishings.
            Members of the Women’s Canadian Club committees are Mrs. Madge Rigby, chairman, Mrs. H. b. Hachey, tickets; Mrs. Herman Bartlett, program, assisted by Mrs. Gorham Hubbard; Mrs. W. R. martin, guides; Mrs. David walker, house arrangements, and Mrs. Hugh McLellan, publicity.
            The tour’s attractions:
. . . Bellenden, owned by Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ballantyne, of St. Andrews, was built in 1897 by Rev. Robert Bowser of Boston. The house has been redecorated within the past year and the gardens are described as “beautiful.” Mr. Ballantyne is president of Charlotte County Hospital. A tour of the gardens of Cloverly, owned by Dr. and Mrs. Gavin Miller and built in 1929 by Sir Thomas Tait, and Pen Ryn owned by Rt. Hon. and Mrs. C. D. Howe of Ottawa, will complete the tour.