Old St. Andrews



Prince Louis Battenburg




Prince Louis Battenburg


Nov 2/1905
Princes’ Visit to St. Andrews.
Princes Louis and Alexander Guests of Sir William Van Horne.
Prince Louis of Battenberg came and saw and conquered St. Andrews on Saturday last—or rather the small portion of it that gathered about the railway station when he took his departure that evening. The prince and his nephew, Prince Alexander, came to St. Andrews as the guests of Sir William Van Horne. They left the capital city in Sir William’s private car Saskatchewan at ten o’clock, arriving at the Bar Road station at 1:25. Sir William and his son, Mr. R. B. Van Horne, were on hand to welcome them to St. Andrews soil. Accompanying them were Capt. Pamphlett, engineer-commandant of the cruiser Cornwall, and flag lieutenant Sowerby, of the cruiser, Berwick also Mr. W. B. Brown, train master of St. John. Conductor Costley was in charge of the train, Mr. R. H. Purton being the river.
            The tide had not left the bar when the princes’ party arrived, so that they had to be boated across to Minister’s island. Reaching the island shore, they stepped into Sir William’s buck-board and in a twinkling were toasting their shins before the blazing logs in Covenhoven.
            Luncheon was served soon after arrival, and after a few hours spent in the enjoyment of Sir William’s generous hospitality, the prince and party took a hurried glance over Sir William’s estate. Then the party re-crossed to the mainland—the tide having sufficiently receded in the meantime—and drove out to Senator MacKay’s new property. The examination of this beautiful spot, with its entrancing scenery, occupied a short time.
            the prince having expressed a wish to see St. Croix island, where that other great sailor, Champlain, spent the memorable winter of 1604, the party hastened off to the shore road. This occupied so much time that it was dark before the party reached town, so that the prince had little opportunity of seeing the town itself or the bunting that was floating to the breeze in his honor, and the people of the town were also deprived to a great extent of seeing his serene highness’s smiling countenance.
            It was after six o’clock when the work was brought o the waiting crowd at the station that the prince and party were approaching. Torches were hastily lighted and under their glare the people had a good opportunity of seeing the royal sailor. He acted very graciously, moving about among the crowed, shaking hands and chatting pleasantly with everybody. To the Beacon representative he expressed regret that he had not been able to see more of St. Andrews. “It must be a very beautiful place in the summer,” said he. A pleasing incident was the presentation of a beautiful bouquet to the prince by little Marion Law, daughter of station master Law. Clad in sailor costume she approached the prince with the flowers, saying “This is from Marion.” The prince accepted the bouquet very graciously, and seizing the little tot in his strong arms he gave her a hearty kiss. Overhearing a young lady saying, “why, he’s a real live prince, how I’d like to shake hand with him,” the prince laughingly pushed his way through the crowd and extended his hand to the young lady. He said he felt a little tired after his experiences in St. John and Fredericton. “We danced in Fredericton,” said he to an interested young miss, “until three o’clock this morning, and at St. John the night before we had a busy time of it.” His pleasant affability won all hearts, so that it was with a will three rousing cheers and a tiger were given him as he stepped on the train. He thanked the crowd. Then someone began singing the national anthem, and in a moment it was taken up by the crowd. Meanwhile, the two princes stood on the car platform with uncovered heads. Then, with the strains of Britain’s grand old hymn ringing, in their ears, and the glare of torches illumining their faces the princes gave a parting wave of their hands, the train moved off, and they disappeared in the night.