Old St. Andrews



F. W. Thompson



F. W. Thompson


Feb 23/1905
F. W. Thompson and C. R. Hosmer have already secured the same hotel cottages as last summer.


May 11/1905
The occupants of the cottages attached to the Algonquin hotel will be: No. 1, Mr. Henry Josephs, Montreal; No. 2, Mr. Mortimer Davis, Montreal; No. 3, Mr. C. R. Hosmer, Montreal; No. 4, Mr. F. W. Thompson,, Montreal.


June 29/1905
Monday’s Montreal Pullman had as passenger lady Van Horne, Lady Shaughnessy and family and Mr. F. W. Thompson and family. They are here for the season, occupying their respective summer residences.


June 29/1905
Guests at Algonquin: of Montreal, Mrs. Hayter Reed, Mrs. Douglas Armour, Mr. and Mrs. F. W. Thompson, Miss Thompson, Miss Alice Thompson, Miss Helen Thompson, Senator Mackay, Mrs. Mackay. Of Liverpool—Miss Mildred Dobell. Of St. Augustine, Florida—Dr. and Mrs. Andrews Anderson, two children and governess. Of Boston—W. J. Windram, Miss Windram, Mrs. R. N. Allen, Miss Allen.


Aug 3, 1905
Mr. F. W. Thompson is laying out a tennis court on his recently acquired property near the Algonquin hotel. He may erect a summer residence later on.


Aug 10/1905
Place Names
Here are a few of the place-names about SA, with the names of the owners or present occupants:
Covenhoven—Sir William Van Horne
Dalmeny—William Hope
Rossmount—Rev.. H. P. Ross
Cedar Croft—Rev. A. T. Bowser
Resthaven—F. W. Thompson
Bide-a-Wee—C. R. Hosmer
Lazy Croft—G. B. Hopkins
Park cottage—D. R. Forgan
Tipperary Fort—Sir Thomas Shaughnessy
Top Side—T. R. Wheelock
Kings Brae—D. MacMaster
Chestnut Hall—Mrs. Simpson
Linden Grange—Lady Tilley
Clover Bank—Miss Ottie Smith
Ainslee Villa—F. P. McColl
Maplehurst—C. S. Everett
Red Cliff—A. P. Young
Beech Hill—George Mowat
Elm Corner—Miss Mowatt
Rose Bank—R. A. Stuart
Ifield—Rev. Dean Sills
The Anchorage—Mr. F. G. Andrews
Sea View—Mrs. John Robinson


June 28/1906
CPR has two wharves in town.
Shaughnessy’s, Wheelock’s and Thompson’s in town to open cottages.


July 5/1906
Stylish Turnouts
Some very stylish horses and handsome equipages may be seen about St. Andrews streets now. Mr. George B. Hopkins, of New York, has a handsome pair of high-stepping American hackneys. Sir Thomas Shaughnessy has sent three horses from Montreal; C. R. Hosmer, three; F. W. Thompson, three; Clarence McCuaig, two; Mortimer Davis, three; Morris Davis, two; Mr. Evens, two. The greater number of these horses are at Mr. Russell’s new stable. Two are quartered in the Cummings barn.


Aug 22/1907
The Governor general and party certainly spent a restful time while here. For the nonce, officialism was cast off and Earl and Lady grey and their daughters and enjoyed themselves just like other humans. There were no formalities of any kind, even the luncheons given by Sir Thomas Shaughnessy and Sir William Van Horne being unmarked by any display. We hope that they will be able to come this way again.


The governor-general before leaving the Algonquin hotel passed a high compliment upon the excellent management of Mr. Allerton. He said it was the best kept hotel he had ever been in. This is high praise, coming from such a source. Guests—His Excellency the governor-general, her Excellency Countess Grey, Lady Sybil, Grey, Lady Evelyn Grey, A. V. Sladen, Capt. D. C. Newton.


Governor-General of Canada Visits SA
In the dawning of the morning of Saturday last, Earl Grey, Governor General of Canada, and party steamed in to St. Andrews from St. John remained in their private car well until 9:20 o’clock when by appointment his Excellency received Mayor Snodgrass and the members of the town council. Sir Thomas Shaughnessy, who was present, also introduced a few citizens to the governor –general.
            His Excellency was in good humor and chatted pleasantly for a few minutes with his visitors. During the brief reception a magnificent big Newfoundland dog persisted in leaping about the Earl, showing affection that was honestly genuine. After breakfast the party entered the carriages of Sir Thomas Shaughnessy, Mr. C. R. Hosmer and Mr. F. W. Thompson, of Montreal, and were driven to the Algonquin hotel. The forenoon was quietly spent, a run out to the Algonquin golf links being the chief feature. The party partook of luncheon at Sir Thomas Shaughnessy’s residence, returning to the hotel afterwards. A large tent was erected on the bowling green for the informal reception at 4 o’clock, but the rain beginning to fall, the tend idea was abandoned, and the reception was held in the drawing room of the hotel. It was of a very informal character. Almost all the hotel guest attended. Among others were Sir William Van Horne, Sir Thomas Shaughnessy, G. W. Ganong, M. P. George, J. Clarke, M. P. P. W. C. H. Grimmer, M. P. P Mayor Teed of SS; Mayor Snodgrass, Aldermen Cockburn, Hanson, Cummings, Doon, Rigby, Horsnell, McDowell, and Greenlaw, Sheriff Stuart, Mrs. Stuart, Miss Stuart, Judge Cockburn, Mrs. Cockburn, F. H. Grimmer, Miss Grimmer, R. E. Armstrong, Miss Armstrong, Mrs. Very Whitman, Misses Maloney, Miss Gordon, R. Walter Clarke, Mrs. Clarke, Mrs N M. Clarke, T. R. Wren, Miss Freda Wren and W. F. Kennedy. A feature of the reception was the presentation of a handsome bouquet to her Excellency by Master Whitman, on behalf of the American visitors, and also one by little Miss Farmer.
            Saturday evening after the shower was over the governor-general and his aide strolled about town. On Sunday morning their Excellencies worshipped in All Saints’ church and listened to a good sermon by the Rev. R. R. J. Langford. As they passed out of the church, the choir sang the national anthem. After church they were driven to Minister’s Island, where they lunched with Sir William Van Horne. The party entered their car at 9 o’clock Sunday night and retired. On Monday morning, the car was attached to the regular express and proceeded to Point du Chene. After a trip through PEI Earl Grey will return to the capital.


Aug 29/1907
F. W. Thompson has own tennis courtyard and tournaments--Shaughnessy’s, etc.


June 11/1908
At cottages: “1, Henry Josephs, 2, Mrs. John Hope, 3, Mrs. H. S. Holt, 4, Mr. F. W. Thompson. Guests at Inn listed. Mrs. Banks, housekeeper, and staff of assistants arrived on train from Boston


Aug 6/1908
Who’s Who
What Some of our Summer Residents Do at Home
Sir William Van Horne is first of all a good citizen; incidentally, it might be mentioned that the late Queen Victoria, of honoured memory, created him a Knight commander of the Order of St. Michael and St. George; also that he is chairman of the Canadian pacific Railway, Co., the head of the Cuban railway system, and is identified with a score of other enterprises of a more or less stupendous character.
            Sir Thomas Shaughnessy, K.C.V.O., is President of the Canadian Pacific Railway Company, which ought to be glory enough for one man. In looking after the multitudinous interests of this great corporation his time is so fully occupied that St. Andrews sees all too little of him.
            Charles F. Smith, who has recently become a permanent summer resident, is president of the James McCready Shoe Company, Ltd., of Montreal, a director of the Merchants’ Bank, of the Laurentide Paper Co., and of other mammoth corporations. He is a man of charming personality and a welcome addition to the cottage population of St. Andrews.
            Hon. Robert Mackay, of Montreal, is a Senator of Canada, and one of its wealthiest capitalists. He is associated with a large number of industrial and financial enterprises.
            D. Blakely Hoar, of Brookline, Mass., is a member of the legal firm of Brandeis, Dunbar and Nutter, of Boston.
            Mr. E. L. Pease, who is registered at the Algonquin, is the general manager of the Royal Bank of Canada.
            Mr. George B. Hopkins, banker, broker, yachtsman and good fellow generally, is a citizen of New York, and a warm advocate of St. Andrews as a summer and yachting resort.
            Mr. Thomas R. Wheelock is a retired merchant of Shanghai, China, who resides in Boston when he is not occupying his beautiful summer home in St. Andrews.
            Mr. C. R. Hosmer is President of the Ogilvie Flour and Mills Company, a director of the CPR and of several other large corporations. A man of great energy, and of a winning personality. Regarded as one of the wealthiest residents of Montreal.
            Mr. F. W. Thompson is vice-president and managing director of the Ogilvie Flour Mills Company.


June 24/1909
The Summer Hotels. The Algonquin and the Inn open Once Again.
“Twenty years old today,” remarked Manager Allerton at the Algonquin hotel smilingly, on Monday last, “and the hotel is bigger and better and more prosperous than ever.” For the twentieth time the Hotel unlocked its doors to the public and unfurled its banner to the breeze, on Saturday. There were no guests to serve on what day, but the Hotel was ready for them, from basement o roof. Since then guest have been dropping in, and before long the hotel will be crowded. The manager states that never before have there been in the history of the house so many bookings as this season. He says he has had to refuse dozens of applications. The interior of the hotel is looking very beautiful and very artistic this season, with its new carpets on the stairways—by the way there are 880 yards of pure Wilton on the stairs—and its other new furnishings. The green room, the red-room, the splendid dining hall, the palm room, every part of the house in fact, are as clean as wax. There is nothing to offend the eye or any other sense, but everything is attractive and fascinating.
            The hotel has been wired for electric lights and these will be turned on about the firs of July. The power station is well advanced, the engine, boilers and dynamos are in position, the big smokestack was put in place on Monday and in another ten days fire will be started and the lights turned on. In the meantime the old form of acetylene gas will be used. The old laundry is also being used
            One external improvement to the Hotel is the fire escapes which have just been added. These were very necessary and should have been put on years ago.
            The grounds about the hotel have been brightened up with flower beds and are looking very attractive.
            the Algonquin staff will be composed of the following—A. Allerton, manager; Spencer Farmer, Chief Clerk; Wm. Woods, Steward; Mrs. H. E. Banks, housekeeper; Jas. S. Hobbs, chef. Irving N. Linnell, Head Waiter. James H. Morrison, Head Porter. Lester Struthers, Head Bellman. Thomas R. Hogan, tonsorial artist. Lillian McEleney, parlor Maid. Miss Horsnell, Stenographer. Miss Eva Barton, News Clerk. Fred. Donald, telegraph Operator. Ira Brown, Engineer and electrician. August Suck and ladies, orchestra. The Algonquin cottages will be tenanted by the following Montreal people—Henry Josephs, Percy P. Cowans, H. S. Hold and f. W. Thompson.


Nov 4/1909
New Summer Dwelling—For F. W. Thompson. On site as old Bailey House. Architect W. and E. Maxwell.


Dec 2/1909
Summer cottages
Mr. Wright McLaren has the Jeremiah Smith cottage well advanced toward completion. Last week the lumber for the F. W. Thompson cottage arrived and work on it is being rapidly pushed forward. Dr. D. R. Forgan, of Chicago, who recently purchased a building site near the Algonquin hotel, has been corresponding with Mr. McLaren with a view to beginning the construction of a summer dwelling upon it next spring.


March 3/1910
Work continuing on F. W. Thompson house and Jeremiah Smith house.


April 14/1910
Beautiful Summer Home—Mr. F. W. Thompson Will Have Fine Estate. Detailed article.
What Mr. F. W. Thompson, President and General manger of the Ogilvie Milling Company, does he doe swell and thoroughly. this has marked his whole career, from the time that he began life as a humble bank clerk in one of the Eastern Township banks, supplementing his modest income by doing business printing on a small foot power press, until now that the had become the head of one of the biggest manufacturing concerns of Canada, a director in many of the leading industrial institutions, of the Dominion, and one of the most prominent financier of the country.
            This spirit of thoroughness-this desire to excel—he has manifested in the stately summer residence that he had erected near the Algonquin hotel and which he will occupy with his family during the coming month of June. Not content with having one of the most beautiful dwellings in the place, he proposes that he grounds shall be as beautiful as landscape artists and labor can make them. He has a battalion of men and teams engaged on his place now, digging drains, building terraces and grading up for the pergola which is to be erected at the end of his flower garden and which he expects to be one of the most striking features of his estate. This pergola will be semi-circular stone structure with pillars and open sides and roof. It will be 40 feet across. Flowers, vines and shrubs will be trained up its walls.
            The residence has a frontage of almost 100 feet and commands a beautiful outlook. On the lower floor, entering from the broad verandah on the south west corner, there is a wide hallway which communicates with the large living room. Adjoining the living room, with an eastern outlook, is the library. The dining hall is a splendid room 17 x 30 feet, with a beautiful western prospect. There are two large guest rooms, with baths, on this floor. In the rear are the kitchen, servants’ dining room, etc. On the second floor are six large sleeping rooms every one with a fine outlook. There are also two bath room on this floor. The floor above contains four servants’ chambers. The building will be heated by steam and lighted by either electric lights or acetylene gas.
            A large barn, with living rooms for coachmen and stable help, is now in process of erection.
            The plans for Mr. Thompson’s residence were prepare by Messrs Maxell, on Montreal, who have entrusted the carrying out of them to Mr. Wright McLaren, carpenter. The mason work is being done by Mr. Olssen, of Calais; the plumbing by Mr. Goodwill Douglas, and the painting by Mr. Albert Shaw.
Aug 11/1910
F. W. Thompson now has 65 foot water tower holding 5,000 gallons. Same guy who did Van Horne’s. 400 foot well.


Sept 15/1910
Chamcook line reservoir probably to be placed on F. H. Grimmer property, opposite Mr. Elliott Hume’s residence. Line will follow road from Mowat Hill to Thompson property, then head for Algonquin.


Jan 19/1911
Ogilvie Flour Mills Co. Ltd. Appointed Miller to His Majesty King George of England. C. R. Hosmer and F. W. Thompson--president and vice-president. But doesn’t include right to wear silk-stockings, plush knee breeches, and right to walk in coronation procession.


July 27/1911
A splendid array of silver cups for prizes adorns the mantle shelf over the Algonquin fire-place. They include trophies presented by Miss Greene, Mr. F. W. Thompson and Sir Thomas and Lady Shaughnessy. [Golf] [photo of golf cups from 1924 in CPR archives; I have a photocopy]


Aug 31/1911
Welcome Mr. Borden!
Mr. Borden, leader of the opposition, is expected in St. Andrews on Saturday.  Though disagreeing with his attitude on reciprocity, we will be glad to welcome him as the leader of a great party and as a distinguished Canadian. We do not apprehend any great change in sentiment as a result of Mr. Borden’s visit. A number of years ago, when Sir John MacDonald, the greatest and most magnetic leader that the conservative party ever had, visited SA, he was given a reception befitting a prince. Bands and banners, badges and buttons, streamers and arches wee much in evidence, but it made no difference in the result. Mr. Gillmor, who stood for closer trade relations with the outside world, ever and always, was returned by a large majority. When we compare the almost fulsome adulation Sir John received at that time with the uncomplimentary remarks that are being made concerning him by former worshippers, we begin to realize the hollowness of many political professions. We hope that Mr. Borden will meet a better fate in this respect than his distinguished predecessor, but we are afraid he will not. Party exigencies, as in the is instance, compel so many right-about-faces on public questions that it is just possible in a few months the very men who are applauding him for the stand he has taken on reciprocity will be upbraiding him as a stupid politician and trade bungler. Such is politics—party politics.


Mr. Borden’s Visit
Mr. R. L. Borden, leader of the Opposition, is expected to arrive in St. Andrews on Saturday morning’s train. He will be met at the station by a reception committee and band and escorted to Mr. F. W. Thompson’s summer residence, where an informal reception will be held from 12 to 1. Following the reception there will be a lunch at Mr. Thompson’s and at 3 o’clock he will deliver as address in Andraeleo Hall.


Sept 7/1911
Mr. R. L. Borden Calls
He was well received and had a good hearing.
Sir William Van Horne says Canada is so prosperous under Liberals that Reciprocity is not needed.
            Mr. Borden, the leader of the opposition, received a hearty welcome on his first visit to Charlotte County. Upon reaching St. Andrews station on Saturday morning last, he was met by the local reception committee and escorted amid cheers to the automobile of Mr. G. W. Ganong, ex M. P. of St. Stephen.
            Then a procession was formed, composed of the St. Andrews Band, thee auto from SS, the carriages of Sir William Van Horne, Sir Thomas Shaughnessy and a number of local teams, and the distinguished visitor was conveyed to the summer residence of F. W.
Thompson, president of the Ogilvie Milling Company, where a short reception was held. The route of March was decorated with flags, and bunting, and mottoes of various kinds. Quite a number of people attended the reception. The house and grounds were beautifully decorated and looked very attractive.


Dec 28/1911
Poultry house on F. W. Thompson’s property (not to mention water tower and tennis court. These summer people liked to farm a bit)


May 16/1912
Death previous week in London of F. W. Thompson of acute dyspepsia. “It was a great shock to his Canadian friends everywhere, particularly in SA, where he mingled very freely with the people of the town during the summer and always manifested a deep interest in the place. Mr. Thompson was a native of Montreal and although only 50 years of age, he had climbed to the very top of the financial ladder. Besides being Vice-president of the Ogilvie Milling Company, he was director of the royal Bank and of many other financial and industrial corporations.


July 18/1912
The membership of the Golf Club has been greatly increased this season. In order to furnish amply playing space for all, a supplementary course will be laid out on the Town Home grounds, leased by the Club. {The late F. W. Thompson was past president of the Club]


Sept 11/1913
Algonquin Golf Club—the first formal function at the new Club house was held last week by a luncheon and bridge. Those present were Mrs. Thompson, Mrs. Maltby, Mrs. Brophy, Miss Green, Mrs. Horsey, Mrs. Pugsley, Mrs. Christie, and Miss Sparks. The Ringer Silver Shield presented by Mr. Wren to the Algonquin Golf Club, for the year 1913, was won by Mr. W. L. Maltby, of Montreal, who in three weeks;’ play had a gross score of 66.6.


St. Croix Courier
June 9/1921
Kennedy’s Hotel Open. “The hotel is in fine condition, as it always has been, and Mayor Kennedy [Frank, son of Angus] is prepared to cater in first class manner.” Mrs. F W. Thompson to open summer home on Saturday. (Summer folk arriving en masse)


St. Croix Courier
Sept 7/1922
G. W. V. A. Bridge at St. Andrews. Sir Thomas Tait, Lady Shaughnessy, Lady Allen, Mrs. Hosmer, Mrs. F. W. Thompson patrons and patronesses. At casino, courtesy Algonquin. Raise $375 for Great War Veterans Association.


St. Croix Courier
June 9/1932
Mrs. F. W. Thompson motors down from Montreal to open summer home. J. H. Cashman arrives for summer season.


St. Croix Courier
Aug 2/1934
[not Shiretown Items]
Eric Thompson won F. W. Thompson handicap golf cup defeating Charles Hope of Montreal.


St. Croix Courier
Aug 5/1937
Shiretown Items
Golf Tourney—F.W. Thompson cup for women and Shaughnessy cups for Lady’s and Men’s Championships.


St. Croix Courier
Aug 26/1943
By Earl Caughey
Annual flower show draws over 1000 in St. Andrews.  6th annual sponsored by Kiwanis held in St. Andrews arena.  Patronage of following residents: W. D. Clark, Hon. Senator Wilson, Hon. Marguerite Shaughnessy, Lady Allen, Lady Davis, Mrs. F. W. Thompson, Mrs. Pillow, Mrs. Struthers, Mrs. E. Maxwell, Mrs. Ralph Smith, Mrs. Timmons, Mrs. Warren, Mrs. Alice Wilson, Mrs. Halstead Freeman, Mrs. Prentice, Mrs. S. W. Watson, Mrs. Burns, Mrs. Southam, Mrs. Ray, Mrs. Shutt, Miss Hosmer, Mrs. Dodge, Miss Clergue, Mrs. Ferney, Mrs. Blair Gordon, Mrs. C. Ballantyne, Mrs. E. MacKay, Mrs. Charles Hope, Mrs. H. P. Ross, Mrs. Fraser, Mrs. Hall, Mr. Redmond, Mr. Walsh.


St. Croix Courier
Aug 18/1949
Shiretown Items
Man Behind the Show. Ian Macmillan’s “A Guardsman’s Duty” at Andraeleo Hall Aug 22 and 23.
            Following is the list, to date, of those who have graciously consented to act as patrons of the operetta “A Guardsman’s Duty,” to be presented in Andraeleo Hall on August 22 and 23, in aid of the district Nurse Fund and Miss Marilyn Noells: His Honour the Lieutenant governor and Mrs. McLaren; His Worship the mayor and Mrs. Hachey; Sir Montague and Lady Allan; Mrs. H. D. Burns; Sir James and Lady Dunn; Lady Davis; Edward McKay; Mrs. Frank Hall; Miss Olive Hosmer; Dr. Gavin and Mrs. Miller; Mr. Guy Murchie; Mr. and Mrs. Howard Pillow; Mr. Rene and the Hon. Mrs. Redmond; Miss Mona Prentice; The Hon. Marguerite Shaughnessy; Mr. and Mrs. Robert Struthers; Mr. and Mrs. Jules Timmons; Mrs. F. W. Thompson; Mr. and Mrs. Harry W. Thorp; Mrs. Norman and Senator Cairine Wilson.


St. Croix Courier
Aug 19/1954
Summer Home Directory Issued for St. Andrews. All names listed, with addresses. 62 Homes. Includes Algonquin cottages.
            Balfour, Mrs. George, Greenock, Edward Street.
            Ballantyne, Charles, Bellenden, Cedar Lane.
            Ballantyne, James, Carleton.
            Beattie, James, Coven Hoven.
            Bishop, Mrs. J., and Mrs. B. Weeks, Bide-a-Wee, no. 3 cottage
            Breeze, William, Pottery Creek, Joe’s Point Road
            Burns, Herbert D., Pansy Patch, Carleton Street
            Christie, Miss Katherine, Wit’s End, Joe’s Point Road
            Clark, A. R., York Cottage, Joe’s Point Road
            Clark, Mrs. H. H. R., Shepody Shelf, Joe’s Point Road
            Cowan, Charles, G., Dunedin, Queen Street
Cruickshank, P., Grimmer Cottage, King Street
Davis, Lady., The Lupins, DeMonts Avenue
Dodge, P. L., Berwick Burn, Joe’s Point Road
Dunn, Sir James and Lady, Dayspring, DeMont’s Avenue
Devlin, Brian, Deery Bay, Joe’s Point Road
Dodge, J. D., Beech Hill
Eidlitz, Ernest Frederick, Sunbury Haven, King Street
Freeman, H. G., Tobermory, Joe’s Point Road
Forgan, David, Berwick Brae, Carleton Street
Gill, R. T., Gill Cairn, Prince of Wales
Gordon G. Blair, Elbow and Brandy Cove Road
Guiness, W., Brandy Cove, Brandy Cove Road
Hall, Mrs. Frank, Maplehurst, Edward St.
Henley, T. B., Pipincot, Prince of Wales Street
Hope, Mr. Charles, Fenton Barns, Bar Road
Hooper, Mrs. George, Edward St.
Hosmer, Miss Olive, Linden Grange, Carleton St.
Hubbard, Gorham, Kirkside, Edward St.
Hopkins, Mrs. A., Lazycroft, Prince of Wales
Howe, Rt. Hon. C. D., Penryn, Saint John Road
Johnson, Mrs. Hobart S., Lazycroft, Prince of Wales
Jones, Hugh McK., Grenlea, DeMonts
Kitchen, Mrs. Albert, Red Cliff, Water Street
Laughlin, Mr. and Mrs. David, Caseia-Del-Mar, Water St.
McLaren, Lieutenant-Governor D. L., Algonquin Cottage no. 4, Prince of Wales
McKeown, Col. William, Invernenty, Harriet St
            McGee, A. A., The Little House, Joe’s Point Road
            Markey, Mrs. F. H., Hillside, Carleton St.
Miller, Dr. G. Gavin, Cloverley
Maxwell, Mrs. Edward, Tillieutudlem, Bar Road
Murchie, Guy, Colinsfield, Reed Avenue
Paterson, Mrs. James, Cedar Lane
Payne, Robert G., The Anchorage, Parr St.
Pillow, Mrs. Howard H., Kingsbrae, King St
Plant, J., Algonquin cottage no. 2
Prentice, Miss Mona, Harbor Lights, Joe’s Point Road
Purtill, J. T. K., O’Shea, Harriet St.
Quinn, William G., Deck View Cottage, Joe’s Point Road
Redmond, R. M.,Bantry Bary, King St.
Shaughnessy, Hon. Marguerite, Fort Tipperary, Prince of Wales
Sams, Mrs. L. G., DeMonts Avenue
Smith, Miss Elizabeth H., Mary St.
Shuter, Mrs. George, Linden Lodge, Edward St.
Struthers, Mrs. Robert, Topside, King St.
Thompson, Mrs. F. W., Meadow Lodge, Harriet St.
Thorp, Harry W., Sea Urchin, Water Street
Vaughn, A. Murray, King St.
Walsh, L. O. P., Reed Avenue
Wilson, Norman, Clibrig, Saint John Road


St. Croix Courier
Aug 11/ 1955
Directory for 1955. Seaside Resort Summer Homes, Occupants Listed.
Courier directory of summer homes and occupants at SA-by-the-Sea for 1955. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson, Bide-a-Wee, no. 3 Algonquin cottage. Mrs. George Balfour and Mrs. A. W. Wilson, Greenock, Edward St. Mr. and Mrs. Charles T. Ballantyne, Bellenden, Cedar lane. Mr. and Mrs. James Ballantyne, Carleton Street. Mr. and Mrs. James Beatty, Coven Hoven, Minister’s Island. Mr. and Mrs. Bourassa, Algonquin cottage no. 4.
            Mr. and Mrs. William Breeze, Pottery Creek, Joe’s Point Road. Mr. and Mrs. Herbert D. Burns, Pansy Patch, Carleton St. Miss Katherine Christie, Wit’s End, Joe’s Point. Mrs. H. R. r. Clark, Shepody Shelf, Joe’s Point Road. Mrs. John T. Cundill, Prince of Wales street. Mr. and Mrs. Charles Cowan, Dunedin, Queen St.
            Mr. and Mrs. D. P. Cruickshank, Grimmer cottage, King St. Lady Davis, the Lupins, DeMonts Avenue. Mr. and Mrs. P. L. Lodge, Berwick Burn, Joe’s Point Road. Sir James and lady Dunn, Dayspring, DeMonts Avenue. Mrs. Brian Devlin, Derry Bay, Joe’s Point Road. Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Frederick Eidlitz, Sunbury Haven, King St. Mr. and Mrs. H. g. Freeman, Tobermory, Joe’s Point Road. David Forgan, Berwick Brae, Carleton St. H. R. T. gill, Gill Cairn, Prince of Wales.
            Mr. and Mrs. Blair Gordon, Elbow Bend, Brandy Cove Road. A. W. Guiness, Brandy Cove, Brandy Cove road. Mrs. Frank Hall, Maplehurst, Edward St. T. B. Heney, Pipincot, Prince of Wales Street. Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hope, Fenton Barns, Bar Road. Mrs. George Hooper, Edward, Street. Miss Olive Hosmer, Linden Grange, Carleton. Mr. and Mrs. Gorham Hubbard, Kirkside, Edward St. Mrs. A. Hopkins, Lazycroft, Prince of Wales.
            Rt. Hon. and Mrs. C. D. Howe, Penryn, Saint John Road. Mrs. Hobart S. Johnson, Lazycroft, Prince of Wales St. Hugh McK. Jones, Grenlea, DeMonts Avenue. Mrs. Albert Kitchen, Red Cliff, Water Street. Col. A. A. McGee, The Little House, Joe’s Point Road. Mrs. Markey, Hillside, Carleton, St. Dr. and Mrs. g. Gavin Miller, Cloverley. Guy Murchie, Collingswood, Reed Avenue. Mrs. James Patterson, Cedar lane. Robert g. Payne, The anchorage, Parr St. Mrs. Howard H. Pillow, Kingsbrae, King St.
            Mr. and Mrs. H. J. Plautt, Algonquin cottage no. 2. Miss Mona Prentice, Harbour Lights, Joe’s Point Road. J. T. K. Purtill, O’Sea, Harriet St. William Quinn, Deck View Cottage, Joe’s Point Road. Hon. Mrs. Rene Redmond, Bantry Bay, Queen St. Hon. Marguerite Shaughnessy, Fort Tipperary, Prince of Wales St.
            Mrs. L. G. Sams, DeMont’s Avenue. Miss Elizabeth H. Smith, Mary St. Mrs. George Shuter, Linden Lodge, Edward St. Mrs. Robert Struthers, Topside, King St. f. W. Thompson, estate Meadow Lodge, Harriet St. Mr. and Mrs. Harry W. Thorpe, Sea Urchin, Water St. Mr. and Mrs. A. Murray Vaughan, King St. Mr. and Mrs. L. O. P. Walsh, Reed Avenue. Norman and Senator Cairine Wilson, Clibrig, Saint John Road.


St. Croix Courier
Sept 12/1990
Potatoes going to Cuba? (The port of Bayside could be handling the shipment of 22,000 tons of seed potatoes to Cuba next month. Saint John screwed up last year)
            Around SA: new tennis court behind arena on what used to be known as the “Pascal Property.” 13 new homes in Argyll Court. (Maxwell Pascal bought Meadow Lodge, the old F. W. Thompson property, in 1963, and renamed it Surrey Gardens. Pascal was in the Montreal hardware business. The house was resold in 1966 to Lady Dunn, who used it to house big-name hockey coaches such as Jacques Plante, Doug Harvey and Scotty Bowman. Sold in 1977 to Findlay of Fredericton, who restored the name Meadow Lodge.)