J. Emory Hoar
Aug 20, 1885
The property known by the above name, and recently purchased by J. Emory Hoar, of Brookline, Mass., for a summer residence, contains twelve and three quarter acres of land, together with a dwelling house and outbuildings. It is situated on the southern slope of a hill three hundred feet above sea level, and one mile and a half from St. Andrews. From it an extensive view is had, embracing nearly all of Passamaquoddy Bay, the shores of Maine, from Perry to Kendall’s Head, and from Clam Cove Head on Deer Island, to the mouth of the Digdeguash river. The dwelling house is of the Swiss style of architecture, and with its pointed gables, bay windows, and verandah presents a very attractive appearance. Since coming into possession thereof, Mr. Hoar has made considerable additions to the premises, which have secured more room inside, and improved its outward appearance. The walls inside have been thoroughly scraped, cleaned and painted, the parlor walls olive green, trimmings cream, the hall a rich dark orange, and the floor ashes of roses. The risers of the stairs leading from the hall to the second flat have been painted a deep red, the treads a brownish yellow, the balusters cream and the rail a very dark brown. In addition to parlors, billiard room, dining room, kitchen, etc., the house contains ten bedrooms. The lower story outside is painted French gray, the half story cream and the trimmings dark green, while the roof is a brilliant Venetian red, a combination of colors which harmonizes with the deep green tints of the foliage on the trees which form a back ground to the building. Mr. Hoar who is now engaged in placing his furniture on the premises, intends to beautify and improve the grounds. We hope that he will long be spared in health and prosperity to enjoy the comforts attainable in a home so delightfully situated. The painting which is first class in every particular, was done by Mr. Harry Williamson of St. Andrews, who is making for himself, such a good reputation, as a competent and reliable workman. The carpenter work was done by Mr. William Ross, in good form, and is creditable to him.
July 6, 1893
The former house of Sir Charles Tupper marks the centre of the first amphitheatre of hills running across the peninsula from the St. Croix river to Passamaquoddy Bay. Remodelled and enlarged, it is now the property of Mr. J. Emory Hoar of Brookline, Mass., and is his summer home from Mid-May to the close of October, for those who know St. Andrews best say that September and October are among the most delightful months there. the late Js. G. Blaine, upon the occasion of a visit to St. Andrews in 1888, compared the view from Mr. Hoar’s lawn as in his judgment equalled only by some of the delightful pictures seen among the lakes of Scotland.
Of the permanent summer residents, Mr. J. Emory Hoar, of Brookline, Mass., deserves to rank among the first. Mr. Hoar is one of St. Andrews earliest summer visitors. Before the tide of summer travel had begun to set this way, before the stately Algonquin was dreamed of, and before a single summer cottage had been erected, Mr. Hoard counted himself a subject of the Queen and amenable to the Queen’s rule—in the summer. That he has found this rule a very pleasant one has been shown by the punctuality of his visits. So far as the beacon knows, Mr. Hoar has never messed a summer in St. Andrews since he became the possessor of the summer home he now owns here. This beautiful summer dwelling occupies the rising round just outside of the town and commands an unexampled view of bay, and island, a river, to say nothing of the view of the town itself that it commands. Embowered in trees, ornamented with lovely flower beds, “Risford” is a typical summer abiding place. Within its comfortable walls and amid its beautiful surroundings there have been many a gay party during the yeas that have passed. Now that the evening of his life is drawing on, Mr. Hoar is more than ever in love with his summer home. He expects to come here in a few days to occupy its.
The death occurred At Brookline, Mass., on Saturday last, of Mr. J. Emory Hoar, one of the leading citizens of that city and for seventeen years a summer resident of SA, (1885), occupying the beautiful cottage on the outskirts of the own, formerly the property of Sir Charles Tupper. The deceased had been in failing health for several months pat, yet he looked forward with pleasant anticipations to another summer spent beneath the sunny skies of St. Andrews. He was a man of kindly, refined nature, retiring in his manner, yet possessing a geniality which won for him the esteem of all with whom he came in contact. He was one of the leading educationalists of Massachusetts. He leaves a widow, (his third Wife) and one son, Mr. D. Blakely Hoar, who is a rising young barrister in Boston. Being one of the first of the American colony to discover the summer beauties of SA, he took a great interest in its development as a summer resort. he was an active member of the St. Andrews Land Company. St. Andrews people will regret that his kindly presence will no more be seen on their streets.
Oct 9, 1902
Mr. Blakely Hoar intends making a number of alterations to “Risford,” his summer home.
Mr. D. Blakely Hoar is carrying out many improvements at Risford. A new barn and carriage house have been recently erected, a bathroom provided and other additions made. The carpenter work is in the hands of Mr. Wright McLaren. Mr. Thomas Kent is drilling a well for Mr. Hoar and he will no doubt find an abundant water supply. Mr. Goodwill Douglas is attending the plumbing.
St. Croix Courier
Shiretown Items—Generous Gift to the Library. The committee in charge of the town library report that they have recently received from Mrs. J. E. Hoar the entire library from her summer cottage here, consisting of several hundred books. This is perhaps the largest and one of the finest collection of goods to be received by the library, and the committee wish to publicly acknowledge this generous gift and to express their appreciation on behalf of all book-lovers of St. Andrews. Among this collection are many valuable books of reference such as Encyclopedia Britannica, German-English dictionary, works on Latin, Greek and French books of travel, history, language, journalism, poetry, philosophy, several on botany and gardening, and plenty of fiction for young and old. (Worrell praises Buchan’s “Memory, Hold the Door,” a book by a great man about great men though also give some intimate pictures of the life and character of the writer.)