Old St. Andrews



Sir Leonard Tilley



Sir Leonard Tilley in St. Andrews


July 6/1870
A. MacKenzie, leader of Opposition, brother C. McKenzie, and D. A. MacDonald, M. P., arrive by steamer, enjoy sea-bathing and St. Andrews scenery. Admire Chamcook, scenery, waterpower and farms. Tilley on same boat proceeds to St. Stephen.


June 14/1871
The Hon. Mr. Tilley, and the Hon. Dr. Tupper and family are expected here on Friday next from Ottawa, and it is probably that Sir John and Lady McDonald will be guests of the Minister of Customs during the summer. Several other distinguished Canadians will pay St. Andrews a flying visit, as at present there are not accommodations for their families, a difficulty which it is hoped will be removed ere another season comes round. Several families we heard of, who desired to spend the summer here, have been obliged to adopt Digby and other seaports, as they could not obtain lodgings here.


Oct 25/1871
The Hon. S. L. Tilley’s cottage is to have a mansard roof and other improvements put upon it during the present season. [Tilley has been convalescing in St. Andrews this summer; ailment not mentioned]


Oct 25/1871
The Hon. S. L. Tilley’s cottage is to have a mansard roof and other improvements put upon it during the present season. [Tilley has been convalescing in St. Andrews this summer; ailment not mentioned]


Jan 3/1872
With the close of the year, came the commencement of another work of great importance to our Town [like European and North American Railway]; we refer to the new Hotel, the foundation walls of which are now nearly finished. When completed the St. Andrews Hotel will be second in size and magnificence only to the famed “Victoria,” and we have no doubt will prove as successful a speculation. The purchase of residences made by the Hon. Messrs. Tilley and Dr. Tupper are also good omens for us. We may be pardoned for using the simile, but our face seems to be our fortune, and our beauty is becoming known and appreciated.


April 17, 1872
The Minister of Customs [Tilley] Villa is nearly finished on the outside. The new mansard roof affords a magnificent view of the surrounding country. The contractor, Mr. David McRoberts, has pushed along the work notwithstanding several weeks of bad weather. [so the original house didn’t have a mansard roof]


May 22/1872
Improvements: Tilley’s “villa” nearly ready; A. Kennedy making improvements; frame of new Hotel raised and being boarded in.


May 22, 1872
The Hon. S. L. Tilley’s villa will in a few weeks be ready for occupation; under Mr. David McRobert’s skill the residence has been much improved; the large and beautiful bay window recently built on the southern end was taken down and rebuilt, making the building more secure. The new French roof adds materially to the height of the building and gives extra room. Carpenters, painters and paper hangers, are busily at work finishing the inside. The grounds are being put in order, and the flower garden prepared. What an agreeable and pleasant change it will be for the Minister of Customs and family, to take up their summer residence in such a charming spot.


June 4/1873
Tilley coming for summer. “The family of Sir Sandford Fleming, Esq., will also make St. Andrews their summer residence.” Tupper also coming.


Oct 22, 1873
Fannie Tilley, daughter of Sir Leonard, married at All Saints Church. Details. Tilley has also made unspecified renovations to his house in St. Andrews.


LG: Sir Samuel Leonard Tilley (1818-1896) Born in Gagetown, New Brunswick. Appointed 15 November 1873 at age 55 until 11 July 1878.


June 24/1874
Summer visitors have begun to arrive in SA; several houses have been taken for the summer months, private families have also engaged to take visitors for a few weeks, and the hotels will likewise afford accommodation. It would be a good speculation to build a few bathing houses, which should be commenced at once, as those at present in use are not sufficiently large, nor well appointed. The yachts will be in requisition, and can be made ready in a short time. The Governor General, who was to have visited this Town last season, and deferred coming until this year, it is reported will visit Manitoba with his family in July, so that it is improbably His Excellency will come this way. Governor Tilley and family will be here in few days.


July 21/1875
Tilley and Tupper in town.


Aug 15/1878:
Tilley speaks in Stevenson’s Hall.


June 5/1879
Description of St. Andrews and intimations of a promising summer tourist trade in connection with Tilley and the incoming Megantic railway. See photocopy and below:


(After a description of St. Andrews and environs), editor John G. Lorimer writes: “What a charming location for summer residences; and a summer Hotel. For such, it is held, it may be, in reservation for the incoming MEGANTIC RAILWAY. St. Andrews itself, is beautiful in itself. It may be sneered at as an old fashioned town; but, every summer, as the season rolls up to us, it is fresh and new in its beauty.
            The fact that, Hon. Sir Samuel L. Tilley, purchased and re-modelled a handsome brick mansion here, and that it is the chosen residence during the summer season for himself and family, is of itself sufficient recommendation of its healthful and lovely inducements.
            That the Gov. General’s Private Secretary, Major DeWinton is also coming here to reside the summer months is another evidence, and these are only the vanguards of a great host of visitors who will find their way into SA, as their happy summer home. The only wonder is, that SA, so admirably situated as it is for the enjoyment of summer visitors, should have had so long to regret a paucity of strangers during the warm months of summer; but, the signs of the times are now more cheering—and the dawn of a brighter day for the Old Shiretown is breaking over this lovely peninsular town of NB. The golden streaks in advance of the rising sun are up in the horizon; and the flashing sun-beams of prosperity will soon melt the ice of discontent from the land.”


Aug 7, 1879
Long pastoral description of picnic at Chamcook hosted by George Grimmer. Party of excursionists from St. Stephen attend the event, arriving by the steamer “Stroud.” Lady Tilley at event.


Sept 4, 1879
During the pat week considerable interest has been excited in Town, in consequence of the issuing of invitations as follows:
Sir Leonard and Lady Tilley request the pleasure of your company of Thursday morning , Sept 4th, at 8:30 o’clock. Ceremony at All Saints Church. Dejeuner at Linden Grange. Jessie Tilley, John DeWolfe Chipman. An early answer will oblige.
[Description here of Sir Leonard’s daughter’s marriage]


May 19/1881
As Others See Us
A New Brunswick Watering Place
--St. John Sun
. . . “Sir Leonard Tilley and Sir Charles Tupper had residences in SA, and they have made its attractions known to Ottawa people. We should not be surprised to find it in the near future, the summer home of a great many people from the Upper Provinces who seek for pleasant seashore residences in convenient and not too expensive localities.”


May 26/1881
How the Queen’s Birthday was Celebrated in Saint Andrews
. . . At noon a firing party composed of the members of No. 6 Battery of N. B. G. A. under command of Lieut. W.W. Whitlock, fired a royal salute from the guns at Fort Tilley. [where was this?]


Sept 7/1882
Railway men meet in St. Stephen to transfer NB and C Railway to NB Railway. “It is supposed that extensive improvements will immediately be made on the St. Andrews and St. Stephen branches and the daily train to St. Andrews continued all the year instead of only the summer months as at present.—Courier
            Judge B. R. Stevenson has been appointed judge of probate for Charlotte County—
            Lady MacDonald was in St. Andrews last week, a guest of Lady Tilley—Courier
April 24/1884
Large ell to be erected in rear of Tilley house.


July 30/1885
Sir Leonard Tilley not well; to start for St. Andrews “where the recuperative powers of the sea air will be much more favorable for him than the heat of Ottawa.” Montreal Gazette, July 24.


Oct 29/1885
Tilley’s resignation as Minister of Finance prompted by health concerns. Second appointment as Governor of NB


LG: Sir Samuel Leonard Tilley (1818-1896) Born in Gagetown, New Brunswick. Re-appointed 31 October 1885 at age 67 until 21 September 1893.


July 15/1886
Let There Be Light
On the afternoon of Thursday the 8th inst., a number of the lades of St. Andrews, in response to invitation given by Lady Tilley, met her in Stevenson’s hall, to discuss the steps necessary to be taken to secure the lighting of the town. Lady Tilley informed the ladies, that the ladies of Carleton, St. John, had in the kindest and most generous manner, offered to present the ladies of St. Andrews with 20 lamps and posts, to be used in lighting the town, and it was now for the ladies to say if they would accept them, and what steps they should take to secure their being placed on the streets and kept lighted. After discussing the matter, the ladies decided to accept the generous gift, and appointed a committee of ladies, to solicit subscription to defray the expense of erecting the lamps and the lighting thereof. The committee appointed were Mrs. Dr. Parker,, Mrs. W. D. Foster, Miss Osburn, Miss Magee and Miss Odell. The number to be added to at the discretion. We commend these ladies and their work to the people of St. Andrews. We hope that they will meet with a cordial reception and generous contribution from every one in town. All should be glad to encourage a movement so praiseworthy, and one that will mark an era in the march of improvement in the town, which cannot be more fittingly begun than by the introduction of light.


Lady Tilley informs town that ladies of Carleton, St. John will present town with 20 lamps and posts. Editor sees this as marking era in march of improvement in town.


Aug 12/1886
Entertainment at Argyll, organized by Lady Tilley, raises $36.00 for lighting of street lamps. Maine State Orchestra, tableaux, duets, piano solos. Detailed program.


Aug 26/1886
Street lamps lighted, and Lady Tilley serenaded by St. Andrews Brass Band outside her home.


Sept 9, 1886
The citizens of St. Andrews are very much indebted to Lady Tilley for her persistent and successful effort in securing the erection of lamps on the streets of the town, and the lighting thereof. The lighting of the streets must be and we have no doubt is most gratifying to the progressive resident of the town, which we trust accelerates an era of improvement in other respects that will place our town in line with other towns in the dominion. In order to secure the costs in lighting of the lamps Lady Tilley proposes to ask the cooperation of the ladies of St. Andrews, in getting up a bazaar, to be held in July or August of next year, the funds raised thereat to be appropriated to what may be called the St. Andrews Street Light Fund. We feel certain that the ladies of St. Andrews will do their part. Thanks are due to the ladies of Carleton for the lamps so generously presented to the town. We heard an enthusiastic son of Erin express the hope, that if Lady Tilley did not receive her reward in this world, that every hair of her head might turn into mould candles to light her to glory. [the cost of the lamps was about $140.


Nov 18, 1886
Let There Be Light
All those who do not believe in putting the candle under the bushel will set forth their faith like a beacon on a hill by attending thanksgiving Tea Meeting, to be held in Stevenson’s Hall, this evening, the preparation for which by the ladies having it in charge, has been carried out on a extensive scale. In addition to the attraction of a rich repast, music sweet will be furnished by the St. Andrews Brass Band, and it is further expected that His Honor Sir Leonard Tilley, K.C.B., Lieutenant-Governor of the province will be present. Give the ladies a bumper house for they deserve. It. They are light and sunshine to very many hearts, and without them the town would be dark indeed. Like the wise virgins of olden time they are determined to get oil for the lamps, and who remembering what befell the foolish virgins, will refuse aid to the St. Andrews ladies to escape such a sad fate.


Nov 25, 1886
There Shall be Light
Notwithstanding that on Thursday lat, the window of Heaven were opened, the rain poured down in torrents, and that the wind raged furiously, the ladies who had to charge the carriage of the Thanksgiving Tea Meeting, proceeded with their preparations, with as much vigor and faith in the result as if the son was shining upon them. On entering Stevenson Hall at six o’clock pm tone found the table spread with as dainty an array of eatables as ever tempted an epicure. The tables were most artistically adorned. Despite the storm raging so fiercely, a respectable number of persons were present, who in response to the invitation of the ladies took their seats at the tables and set to work to enjoy the good things set before them. Meanwhile music was furnished by the St. Andrews Brass Band. A gentleman said it gave him all he could do to keep time with his teeth to the music, and if slower time was not observed, his digestion would not be impaired.
            After tea the company passed a pleasant hour in singing in concert a number of popular melodies.
            The ladies finding so much provisions on hand, decided to repeat the tea meeting the next evening. On Friday the weather proving more favorable, a larger attendance rewarded the ladies for their effort in such a good cause, as that of the perpetuation of light.
            At the conclusion of the tea meeting a number of the young folks remained and passed a pleasant hour in tripping the light fantastic in the merry mazes of the dance.
            The financial result of the tea meeting was satisfactory, the net receipts amounted to $75.79, which has been deposited in the Bank of Nova Scotia, as a lamp fund. It is estimated that this will cover the expense of lighting the lamps for five months.


Jan 6, 1887
Some morons have broken a number of the street lamps so laboriously procured by Lady Tilley and with such considerable expense maintained by the local ladies of the town. [my note]


June 30/1887
Tilley’s arrive for the summer


Aug 11/1887
John A. MacDonald expected soon as guest of Tilley’s. First visit. Reception at Court House. Plug for St. Andrews as winter port.


March 1/1888
Great Movement in Real Estate
“A project initiated some months ago by F. W. Cram, Esq., General Manager of the NB Railway, has now passed the initial stage. C. Veazie Lord, Esq., of Bangor, Me., and Gen. Manager Cram, whose arrival in town last week was reported in the Bay Pilot, acting on behalf of themselves and a syndicate of American capitalists associated with them, negotiated the purchase of the following mentioned properties:--
From Dr. Parker, town lots and three blocks (a block contains two and two-third acres, and there are eight lots in a block) two of the blocks are situated near the Hotel Argyll property, and the other opposite the residence of Rev. Canon Ketchum, D. D. Dr. Parker also sold them forty-five acres of the pasture on the slope of the hill running down to Katy’s Cove. From the Whitlock estate, seventeen town lots and the Dunn farm, so called, at Joe’s Point, containing 137 acres. From g. Durell Grimmer, five lots in the Breackliffe block. From Richardson Haddock, two lots near the residence of C. M. Gove, Esq. From James Haley, three lots near Fort Tipperary. From John McFarlane, twenty-three acres, and from William Rollins thirteen acres. These last mentioned lands front on the road to the cemetery, and run down to the shore of the bay, bounded on either side by Archie McFarlane’s and the cemetery line fences. From Mr. Geo. Mowatt, twenty-five acres of Beech Hill farm, being the plot of land bounded in front by the St. John road, and on either side by the line fence on Highland Hill farm and Mowatt’s lane fence.
            In addition to the lands absolutely bought, the option to purchase lands as follows has been secured under written contract, viz: From Nathan T. Blakeney, the Highland Hill (or Tupper Farm), known to the older residents of St. Andrews as the Walton Farm, about 360 acres. From the Messrs. Andrews’, Minister’s or Chamcook Island, containing 960 acres. From Mr. Lord and G. D. Grimmer and others, their interest in St. Andrews Island, and how much other property we cannot at present state. The properties so far secured are amongst the most eligibly situated in the town and vicinity, and were secured at reasonable rates, although perhaps a little in advance of what property has been held at during the past ten years. We have reason to believe that during the coming summer, a large amount of money will be expended in the erection of buildings and in improvement of the property. The lands so far purchased have been, with his consent, conveyed to Sir Leonard Tilley, Lieut-Governor of NB, in trust, pending the organization of the proposed land company.”


April 12/1888
Gardiner’s speech in Stevenson Hall. B. R. Stevenson the Company’s Counsel. See photocopy and below.
            “In compliance with public notice given by R. S. Gardiner, Esq., chairman of the American syndicate operating in lands in St. Andrews and vicinity, the citizens of St. Andrews assembled in Stevenson hall on Thursday evening last, for the purpose of hearing a statement of the aims and objects of the syndicate. The door of the hall was opened at 7:30 o’clock, in a few minutes thereafter every seat was occupied as well as the standing room in the gangways. At eight o’clock the proceedings were commenced by the election of Geo f. Stickney, Esq., chairman, and F. Howard Grimmer, sec’y. Mr. Gardiner then took the floor and was listened to with the closest attention. He said amongst other things, I feel I hardly need an introduction to a St. Andrews audience. Nine years ago I heard of your town as a restful place, came here with my family every summer since. I am familiar with your wharves, your fish, know where the largest and most fish are to be caught, particularly when one fails to catch them I propose to outline the plans and purposes of the association of Americans who propose to do something for your town, amongst whom are Daniel A. Claflin, Mr. Cram, Mr. Lord, Mr. Fay and others. They all thought St. Andrews was an extremely pleasant place. Mr. Cram had but very little passenger traffic over the railway to SA, road was in bad condition, he was afraid to go to his directors and ask them to expend money upon it unless he could show them reasonable prospect of increased traffic. People of your town did not know our objects. Mr. Whitlock, Mr. Geo. Mowatt, Dr. Parker and others said, if your object is to benefit the town and not a land speculation, we are willing to help you. Sir Leonard Tilley have us free and full advice, as also did Mr. J. Emery Hoar. There is not one copper invested in this undertaking based upon the selection of St. Andrews as a railway terminus. I don’t know if such a thing is projected. We are not by any means philanthropic in our notions, we hope to make some money out of our venture. No man, woman or child at present residing in St. Andrews has any pecuniary interest in the association unless it may be Judge Stevenson as our counsel. There is no probability or possibility of Mr. Osburn making anything out of it, he has done all he could to assist us without the hope of a reward. Having obtained lands we propose to erect thereon, cottages of modern American style, and supply them with water and light.


may 10/1888
The St. Andrews Land Co., and Chamcook Water Co. met at the office of Hon. B. R. Stevenson, last Monday afternoon, and perfected their organization. the following officers were elected for each company: Sir S. L. Tilley, president; Robert S. Gardiner, vice-president, Eugene F. Fay, secretary treasurer and the above with the following named gentlemen, directors: Abraham Avery, Daniel B. Claflin, Roscoe A. Cobb, Frank W. Cram, Charles V. Lord, C. F. Bragg, D. J. Flanders, J. Emery Hoar, A. D.S. Bell,, George L. Connor, J. b. Coyle, F. E. Boothby, of this number Messrs. Tilley, Gardiner, Fay, Avery, Claflin, Cobb, Cram, Flanders and Boothby were present as was also Judge Stevenson, the legal adviser of the company. the party were also accompanied by Mr. Frank H. Taylor, a distinguished artist and writer who since his stay in town has been busily engaged in preparing photographs and sketches for future use in the interest of the town and company. the party during their stay made their home in the Pullman Buffalo Car Nyanqa, Mr. Cram also having his private car. After dinner the party left Monday evening by special train for Boston.;


June 21/1888
Second part from St. John Daily Sun
“The St. Andrews Land Company, of which Sir Leonard Tilley is president, R. S. Gardiner of Boston, secretary, and Eugene F. Fay of Boston, treasurer, comprises a coterie of American business men among whom may be named, in addition to these officers, Mr. Claflin of the celebrated mercantile firm of Claflin and Co., Boston; Mr. Lord, banker of Bangor; J. B. Coyle of the International Steamship Co.; Mr. Connors of the Old Colony Railroad; F. E. Boothby of the Maine Central; D. J. Flanders of the Boston and Maine, not forgetting F. W. Cram, general manager of the New Brunswick railway, who has been one of the moving spirits in the affair. The company have already invested a large sum of money in the purchase of sightly look-outs near the village proper, and have in fact secured possession of most of the available property of the plateau adjoining the town, as well as the two large islands in the contiguous waters. Corner lots in the village have not been overlooked, and although operations have been here and there retarded by the anxiety of land owners to obtain considerably more than the present market price for their property, the company have every reason to feel gratified at the manner in which their advances were generally met by the townspeople. Joe’s Point, where the camp was held last year, and much of the land in that vicinity, is now held by the company; and at almost every turn on the sweep around the point, and down past the terrace to Indian Point, the eye of the spectator is greeted with the sign: “Trespassers on these lands will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.” Of course, there have been some purchased by parties not connected with the company. For instance, T. Wedlock, Esq., of Shanghai and formerly of Windsor, N. S. , has bought the McRoberts farm, a mile and a half out from the town and facing the St. Croix river, (this is Strathcroix, Willa Walker’s property) for $3,000, a price far in advance of what was asked for the property before the land boom had assumed its present proportions. Mr. Harding (later C. R. Hosmer lot) of Harding and Smith, Saint John , has purchased for $950 a lot on the Victoria Terrace range of about two and three-quarter acres, and also a part of the Peacock farm at Joe’s point for $5,000. As a proof of the reality of the boom, and that the extravagant stories one hears one the streets of St. Andrews have some foundation in fact, we give the following extracts from the records in the office of the registrar of wills and deeds:


Aug 23/1888
“The Tilley Park and grounds are now assuming a pleasing appearance, since the timely arrival of Mr. Horton, which was a boon to the company, the works have been carried on in a most systematic and thoroughly efficient manner. The drainage is thoroughly practical and complete, every precaution has been used in avoiding the covering of the same with all substances impervious to water, whereby accelerating the absorption by porous substances which greedily absorb all moisture. The road also are tastefully laid out with the same care, and the evergreens along their borders carefully preserved, giving a most pleasing effect to the eye, you drive along their graceful meanderings. Their gradings have been so carefully studied and carried out, that the eye can scarcely discern an undulation or rise from the beach to the summit a distance of twelve hundred feet and with a rise of 20 feet. This gives it the most perfect drainage and beautiful slope; at the same time wells of pure spring water can be obtained by sinking down in the strata which is met with from one to three feet deep from the surface at almost any point on the lands of the co’y. The same vigilant eye is on the park and to all appearances will be carried out with the same taste and precision under such thorough practical guidance and management as former works bear testimony, this will also prove a most pleasing success.”—Pedestrian


Aug 30/1888
Importance of shade trees:
“Two years ago while visiting Bar Harbour the Hon. James Blaine learned much from the lips of our Lieutenant Governor Sir Leonard Tilley of the many beauties and attractions which St. Andrews offers as a summering place, and doubtless the impressions then formed were well inwrought upon the memory of the great American politician, for he has taken advantage of this his first opportunity since then, to visit and see for himself what St. Andrews is and the attractions it offers.” Guest of Cram; reception at Argyll. “His opinion differs not from that of ordinary men in the matter of St. Andrews being among the most attractive spots on the continent of America for a summer resort.”


Feb 23/1889
From Boston Post:
The syndicate of wealthy capitalists, numbering several well-known Bostonians, who have undertaken the development of SA, NB, the pretty little seaport of Passamaquoddy Bay, as a summer resort, have already spent $100,000 in beautifying and improving the place. They have erected a superb hotel, the Algonquin, containing eighty-seven rooms, with every modern convenience, at a cost of $60,000, and placed it in charge of Fred. A. Jones of the Dufferin Hotel, St. John, N. B., a widely known host. A public park has also been laid out at a cost of $15,000, and numerous cottages erected. [not true] The scheme comprehends the laying of water pipes and electric lights in the near future. Climate and scenery being all that could be desired, distance from, the New England capital seemed the only possible obstacle to overcome. This has been met as far as practicable by the Boston and Maine, Maine Central and New Brunswick railroads undertaking to run through trains in twelve hours from Boston to SA, at very low rates, on and after the 1st day of June next. The fine boats on the I. S. S. Co., also offer a pleasant and cheap means of access to this Mecca of summer tourists. Of course under the forcing power of all this Yankee activity and capital, town lots in the little Shiretown are ‘booming.’ Eligible building sites are at 300 percent premium over last spring. The inhabitants of the provinces are also rapidly awakening to the possibility of development enjoyed by St. Andrews when it becomes one of the termini of the C. P. R., as it will in June next. The new line from Mattawamkeag Junction to Sherbrooke P. Q., through northern Maine, will be by that time open for traffic, with a schedule of fourteen hours from Montreal to Passamaquoddy Bay. The knowledge of this may have induced Sir Donald Smith, vice-president C. P. R. and Sir Leonard Tilley, governor of NB, to invest, as they have, in building lots. This line, as now constructed, is practically the old route as projected before the construction of the Intercolonial railroad, but decided against by the British government for military reasons. The traffic of the C. C. R. is sure to suffer heavily by the completion of the new line. A steam yacht is being built to enable visitors to explore the islands of the bay in comfort. There will also be excellent facilities for dancing, lawn tennis and fishing, both for trout and land-locked salmon.”


July 4/1889
June 28 opening ball described. See photocopy and below
"Nobody could find fault with the sample of St. Andrews weather we had today before the strangers who came here on Friday last to attend the opening of our magnificent summer hotel. It was charming, perhaps a trifle warm for the townspeople, but for the visitors from outside, who had emerged from almost torrid heat, it was like the breath of Paradise.
            It was almost 2 o'clock in the afternoon before the whistle of the locomotive at Chamcook indicated the approach of the train bearing the visitors. All the livery stables turned out their conveyances, and everybody else who could get there at all, hustled down to the station. The platform was crowded, as one of the handsomest trains on the N. B. R. rolled into the siding and the passengers began to emerge from the cars. Amongst the first to alight was Lieut. Governor Tilley, who had come straight from the West, connecting with the St. Andrews train at McAdam. His honor looked a little jaded after his long journey, but a few days in the pure St. Andrews air served to recuperate him greatly. Governor E. C. Burleigh, of Maine and staff, consisting of sixteen persons, and Col. Henry M. Sprague; Adjutant-General of Augusta, Col. F. E. Boothby, of Portland, and Col. W. A. R. Boothby, of Waterville, were among the distinguished visitors to follow Sir Leonard. Among others on the station platform were Robert S. Gardiner, vice-president of the St. Andrews Land Company, and wife, of Newton Center, Mass.; Eugene F. Fay, and wife; W. B. Sears and wife; Roscoe A. Cobb and Nelson E. Weeks, and wives, of Brookline, Mass.; H. D. Waldron, of the Maine and central Railroad, Portland, Maine; Mayor McCollough of Calais; A. B. Chaffe, jr., agent of the C. P. R. Montreal; W. S. Taylor, Treasurer of the C. P. R., and wife, also of Montreal; Ald. Robertson and Miss Robertson, Ex-Mayor Thorne; Hon. David McLellan; Alex. Finley; R. Keltie Jones; J. R. Stone; W. S. Fisher, and Mrs. Fisher, of St. John; W. E. Wood, of the All Rail line; Jas. L. Thompson, manager of the Frontier Steamship Company of Calais; J. Stewart, superintendent of the N. B. R., and wife, of Woodstock; G. A. Haggerty, Mechanical Superintendent of the N. B. R.; H. T. Frisbee; John C. McIntyre; C. H. Pierce; W. Mauser and wife; and John C. Madrigan of Houlton, Maine; W. W. Waugh, proprietor of the Home Journal, Boston; E. H. Crosby, of the editorial staff of the Boston Post, and wife; Benj. F. Priest, of the editorial staff of the Boston Transcript; George H. Brennan, of the Boston Globe staff; Rueben Crooke, editor Boston Traveller; Frank H. Davis of Bangor, representing the Boston Herald and Bangor Whig and Courier; Revel P. Smith of the Bangor News; E. P. Boutelle, of the Bangor Whig; E. H. Dakin, of the Industrial Journal, Bangor; Theo. Cary, of the Aroostook Pioneer, Houlton; J. E. B. McCready, editor of the St. John Telegraph and John Bowes of the St. John Gazette, and Mrs. Bowes.
            As quickly as possible everybody was whisked . . . Manager Jones and Chief Clerk Nason were waiting with open doors to extend to them a welcome. The visitors were charmed with the appearance of the hotel and its surroundings while those who stopped to feast their eyes on the scenery in the neighborhood of the hotel, admitted that they had ever dreamt that St. Andrews was half so beautiful. Mr. Jones and his staff had done wonders in the few days that were left to them, so that, with the exception of a few omissions that were scarcely noticeable, everything was in apple-pie order. The internal and external decorations were pretty and attractive, Chinese lanterns and bannerettes were suspended about the spacious piazza, while from the cupola, surmounting the 'eagle's nest,' the Union Jack and the Stars and Stripes floated side by side. The interior ornamentation was almost wholly floral, and was very effectively arranged. In the hallway, at the bases of the corner pillars, pots of rare plants were disposed, while there was a profusion of cut flowers about the mantles in the parlors and many of the other rooms.
            Lunch was served soon after the arrival of the guests, about one hundred persons sitting down to a rich and elegant repast. . . . Following the lunch came the reception, which was quite a swell affair, and which was attended by a large number of persons. In addition to those who came by train, quite a large party was brought here by Mr. Todd's private yacht from St. Stephen, and an especially large number reached here from Eastport in the steamer "Nellie Kane." St. Andrews also supplied its quota. Lady Tilley formed one of the reception committee, the other ladies being Mrs. Fay, Mrs. Gardiner and Mrs. Jones . . . .
            The guests were received in the beautiful parlors of the hotel, after which they had an opportunity of inspecting the building and the grounds, and of viewing for themselves those external beauties of which St. Andrews possesses such an abundance. For the building and its arrangements nothing but praise was heard, while everybody was enchanted with the delightful prospect that was spread before them as they climbed up to the 'eagle's nest' and swept their eyes around them. Charming, lovely, delightful, sublime, magnificent, grand--these were a few of the adjectives that were used, and even these did not seem to be sufficiently expressive. Quite a number of visitors took advantage of the lovely afternoon to drive about the town and its suburbs and view at nearer range the beauties that had so charmed their eye and their senses from the hotel. It was the unanimous verdict that as a summer resort St. Andrews stands unrivalled, and that as such she is bound to occupy a front rank among the famous watering places of the north Atlantic. . . .
            In the evening the Algonquin looked even more beautiful than in daylight, the glancing lights from the windows, and the brilliant illuminations on the piazza making it resemble a palace of the fairies, instead of a building comprised of wood and brick and mortar. The scene in the interior of the building was equally dazzling--the rich and magnificent costumes of the ladies, the gay uniforms of the military, and the luxurious furnishings of the rooms forming a picture that one rarely has the pleasure of seeing. Lieutenant Governor Tilley and Lady Tilley were present, the former wearing the Cross of the Order of which he is such a distinguished and honorable member, suspended from a ribbon about his neck. Governor Burleigh of Maine, and his staff, brilliantly uniformed, and the officers from Camp St. Andrews . . . greatly enhanced the effect of the picture by their presence.


Aug 22/1889
Sir John MacDonald
The Conservative Chieftain and His Lady Visit SA
SA has been all agog the past week over Sir John and Lady MacDonald, who arrived here by special train from River du Loup, on Friday last. [this would have been Aug. 16] It had been known for several days previous that the Conservative chieftain was coming, but out of respect to his wishes, his advent was kept as quiet as possible, lest a horde of office and favor seekers should swoop down upon him and disturb the serenity of his repose. Sir John was met at Edmunston by Mr. Cram, General Manager of the NBR, who accompanied him to St. Andrews. On the arrival of the party here they were at once driven to the Algonquin, where Mr. Jones had rooms in readiness for them. As Sir John entered the corridor of the hotel, the orchestra played an overture--"The Red, White and Blue"--in his honor. He spent a very quiet evening, in the company of Sir Leonard Tilley and Lady Tilley, whose guest he was.
            On Saturday morning, Sir John and Lady MacDonald loitered about the hotel piazza, enjoying the beautiful scenery, and drinking in the pure, health-giving air, for which St. Andrews is so famous. It was generally remarked that both the Premier and his partner appeared to be in the best of health. In the afternoon Sir John had a drive with Sir Leonard, and in the evening he was present at the Algonquin hop. The hotel was brilliantly illuminated with Chinese lanterns in his honor, and a number of fireworks were sent off, all of which, he, no doubt, appreciated. Sunday, he went to church, like all good Christians, should, whether at home or abroad, and on Monday morning he was in excellent trim for a trip to Campobello in the fishery cruiser "Dream." He was accompanied on this trip by Sir John Leonard and Lady Tilley, Sir Somers Vine, of London, and Mr. Leonard Tilley. The party lunched at the Tyn-y-coed, and got back to town at a respectable hour. Sir John retired early on Monday night, so as to prepare himself for the return journey to River du Loup, which he took on the morrow. The premier and his party started off in the morning in a special train, a few minutes ahead of the regular express. Conductor Fred. McLellan, one of the trustiest and best-looking of the B. B. R. conductors, was in charge of Sir John's train, and deposited the premier safely at Edmunston. Harry Saunders drove the locomotive through. Sir Leonard Tilley and family went with Sir John. They propose to stop at River du Loup for a brief spell, and then go down to Dalhousie.


Sept 4/1890
Lady Tilley gave a picnic at Mr. Bleakney’s farm on Friday last. About sixty guests were present. The return by moonlight was a very pleasant feature of the affair.


Sept 11/1890
Complimentary Dinner
Tendered to Judge Emory Speer of Georgia by the Guests of the Algonquin
Delightful as have been the numerous social gatherings at the Algonquin this season, there has been none which contributed more genuine pleasure to the participants than the complimentary dinner which the guest of the hotel tendered to his honor Judge Emory Speer, of Macon, George, on Wednesday evening last, on the occasion of the forty-second anniversary of his birth.
            A circumstance which invested the event with additional interest was the fact that it was a complete surprise to the Judge himself. He had come to St. Andrews to escape a periodical attack of hay fever, and did not dream of being shown any more than the ordinary courtesies of a hotel.  While in conversation with one of he guests on Wednesday morning, he casually remarked that on the day of forty-two years ago he had first seen the light of day. The thought of giving the Judge a surprise suggested itself to the mind of his companion. Communicating the idea to Manager Carter, and the guest of the house they instantly fell in with it. Mr. Carter, with that alacrity which characterizes all his movements set to work to arrange matters, and in an hour or two everything was in train for the event. An elaborate menu, such as only the Algonquin can furnish, was arranged the parlor, halls and dining room, by the aid of wild flowers, ferns, catkins, and the like, supplemented in the banquet hall by Japanese lanterns of the most unique design were instantly transformed as by a fairy hand. In one corner of the banquet chamber an embowered space was reserved for the orchestra, who discoursed during the evening some of their choicest selections. Manager Carter, although greatly restricted by the few hours left him for preparation, did not forget he conventional birthday cake, which is now speeding on its way to Georgia—a messenger of sweetness from the Judge to his household and friends far away. The guests, too mindful of the pleasures that come from giving as well as receiving provided a simple and unique coffee urn (hereafter to be appropriately engraved) with a set of delicate and elegant after dinner china coffee cups and saucers, which will it is hope bring frequent remembrances of the occasion to the judge, as the gift is utilized at his home in the distant south. These little tokens were placed in front of his plate at the table, beside a blooming bouquet of native domestic flowers.
            The Judge had been advised that the Lt. Governor and Lady Tilley would dine with him but of any further honor that was to be done him he had not the slightest idea. At the appointed hour, 7 o’clock, the ample doors of the dining hall were thrown open, the orchestra played a stirring march, and to the inspiriting strains the guests entered the festive chamber. Sir Leonard Tilley, who escorted Miss Speer, was the first to enter. Then came the guest of the evening, on whose arm leaned Lady Tilley. They were succeeded by Mr. R. S. Gardiner, vice-president of the St. Andrews Land Company, and Mrs. Fay; Mr. E. F. Fay and Mr. Gardiner. Mr. and Mrs. Charles V. Carter and the other participants.
            Judge Speer expressed surprise at the transformation the dining hall had undergone; he praised the taste which was displayed by the ornamentation of the room, but not until he had been assigned to the seat of honor and had glanced at the legend on the delicately printed menu cards did the true state of affairs dawn upon him. Then his surprise knew no bounds.
            Here, too, a strange coincidence was discovered,--not the fearful thirteenth table of which so many have a dread, but, corresponding with the years of the judge’s life, sat forty two grown persons, and the three graces were represented by three children who had been included in the invitation, the smaller children having dined an hour earlier.
            The tables were arranged in three sides of a square, the open side being utilized for the center piece, which consisted of a huge vase filled with wild flowers, ferns, etc. the guests were disposed in the order shown on the accompanying plan.


  1. Judge Speer
  2. Sir Leonard Tilley
  3. Miss Speer
  4. Eugene F. Fay, Brookline, Mass
  5. Mrs. R. S. Gardiner, Newton Mass
  6. George tiffany St. Logis, Mo
  7. Miss Lunn, Montreal
  8. Mrs. Dexter Tiffany, St. Louis, Mo
  9. Miss Campbell, Montreal
  10. Miss Meeker, NY
  11. Fred. W. Meeker, NY
  12. R. B. Van Horne, Montreal
  13. Mrs. W. C. Van Horne, Montreal
  14. Mrs. Hurd, Montreal
  15. Mrs. Isaac Denby, Montclair, NJ
  16. Mrs. C. F. Smith, Saint John
  17. Mrs. George Innes, Montclair, NJ
  18. Mrs. George Innes, Montclair
  19. F. J. Lewis, Washington, DC
  20. Mrs. F. J. Lewis
  21. Mrs. M. P. Lewis
  22. Miss Lewis
  23. Miss F. A. Hensecker, Montreal
  24. Dr. G. B. Orr, Cincinnati
  25. Mrs. Orr
  26. Mrs. Hensecker, Montreal
  27. Dexter Tiffany, St. Louis
  28. Miss Addie Van Horne, Montreal
  29. Miss H. M. Campbell
  30. Miss Van Horne [Sir William’s sister?]
  31. Miss Hensecker
  32. Mrs. Mercer, Newark, NJ
  33. Dr. Mercer
  34. G. Tileston Wells, NY
  35. Charles G. Packer, Newark, NJ
  36. Miss Dora Gardiner
  37. Mrs. J. H. Merrill, Boston
  38. J. E. Merrill, Boston
  39. Mrs. Charles V. Carter
  40. R. E. Armstrong
  41. Mrs. E. F Fay, Brookline, Mass
  42. Robert S. Gardiner, Newton, Mass
  43. Lady Tilley

The menu, considering the short space of time in which there was to prepare it, did infinite credit to the Algonquin cuisine. The cards, too, were neatly printed, each one having four blank pages on which to record autographs. On Judge Speer’s card the autographs of all the guests had been written, and after the dinner, the guests were kept busy for an hour or more writing their autographs on each other’s menu cards. The following were the appetizing dished which Mr. Carter submitted:
            Cream of chicken a la English
            Consommé Prince Supreme
            Baked Savannah Shad, Sauce Claret wine
            Potato croquettes
Baked Devilled Crabs, Baltimore Style
Roast Young Turkey with Dressing, Cranberry sauce
Roast Tenderloin of Beef, stuffed with clams
Browned Sweet Potatoes
Lobster Croquets, Sauce Princess
Broiled Lamb Chops, with French peas
Timbales of Farina, vanilla sauce
New potatoes in cream
String beans, French peas, Mashed Turnips
Chicken on mayonnaise
Pickled Potatoes with Beets
Cabinet Pudding, Brandy Sauce
Green Annie Pie
Mince Pie
Coconut caramels
Angel cake
Dark cake
Citron cake
Orange ice cream
Grapes, pears, confectionary, layer raisins, figs, dates, edam cheese, Kennedy’s Thin Water Crackers, coffee


When all the viands had been duly considered,, Judge Speer arose, and in a brief, but very felicitous speech thanked the guest most cordially for the honor they had done him. He had not dreamt that he would be so highly favored on the forty-second anniversary of his birth and the occurrence was one that he would always look back to with feelings of the deepest pleasure. In this beautiful and will governed province, said he, that remorseless enemy Hay Fever, if it should come, would come to me in the guise of friend robbed of all its terrors. He spoke of the pleasure that he had experienced during his first visit to SA, and particularly that for he first time in nineteen years he was entirely free on his birthday from any symptoms of his remorseless enemy, hay fever. Continuing, he paid a well-deserved compliment to the place, to the Algonquin hotel and its management, gave expression to the hope that he would meet many of those present another year, and then concluded by an appropriate quotation from one of the poets, which gracefully ended the happy address.
            The Lieutenant Governor was equally happy and equally brief in his speech. He was glad to be present and do honor to such a distinguished gentleman as Judge Speer. He was pleased to be able to welcome the Judge to St. Andrews. Twenty one years had he (Sir Leonard) been summering here, and he felt like a permanent resident. If as is said, Nature abhors a vacuum, equally is it true also that the climate of St. Andrews abhors hay fever. The two cannot exist together. Time and time again has this fact been demonstrate. Sir Leonard, went to say that notwithstanding what was said by certain people in both countries, Canadians were desirous of living on terms of amity and peace with the people of the United States. He pointed out in a pleasant way the advantages St. Andrews has to offer to the American pleasure seeker, and then brought his speech and the festivities to a close by congratulating Judge Speer on the attainment of his forty-second birthday.
            The guest of the evening is the US district judge for Southern Georgia. While an ex-confederate soldier and a genuine Southern man in all of his sympathies, Judge Speer has been in the service of his state and of the National government almost without interruption since he was twenty-three years of age, a circumstance which speaks well for the breadth and sincerity of his devotion to his reunited country.


Nov 27/1890
The Street Lamp Fund
To the Editor of the Beacon,
Sir,--Some two years ago, Lady Tilley generously presented the town with street lamps and posts, on condition that the inhabitants would supply gasoline and have them lighted, which for a time was done. The supply of fluid gave out, and a second subscription was taken up to purchase a further supply, but none was purchased. Can you inform others and myself who subscribed, what became of the money? Resident. This is a subject that the Beacon can shed no light on—Ed.


May 21/1891
Judge Emory Speer of Georgia [vice-president of US hay fever association—castles of the north p. 72] affirms his faith in St. Andrews as a hay fever free resort, and adds that it was recommended as such to him by Sir Leonard Tilley, who said no case of it had ever been known here.


June 4/1891
The Block House
Well on to eighty years have passed since the block houses were erected in St. Andrews. Three of them were put up, one at Joe’s Point, one at the Western block, and one at the lighthouse wharf, near Indian Point. Their primary purpose was for the protection of the inhabitants of the peninsula against attacks of unfriendly Indians from United States territory, but he Indians never came, although they were frequently seen hovering around the shore on the Maine side of the St. Croix. In those days these wooden forts were considered almost impregnable against the attack of such an enemy, and certainly the precautions that were taken to strengthen them would justify such an idea.
            They were constructed of heavy pine logs, seventeen inches square, piled on top of each other, the interstices being tightly closed with tow. The lower section of these bloc-houses was in one room eighteen feet square, the upper section being twenty-two square feet, thus projecting two feet all around. The upper room of the fort had two rows of musket-holes around it, and there were also openings in the projection, so that those occupying the fort could fire down upon an enemy approaching the door or seeking to destroy the building by fire from either side. Racks filled with loaded muskets, encircled the room, above them being a collection of boarding-pikes, cutlasses and other implements of offence and defence. Two brass four-pounders completed the armament of the fort, port-holes being provided to shoot from.
            Of the three blockhouses, only one--that one at the western block—is standing today. The fort at the lighthouse wharf yielded to the march of civilization, being removed at the time the railway was begun. [1847] The Saxby gale proved more than a match for the fort at Joe’s Point, for when the gale subsided not a stick was left upon another. When Western block fort is still in a good state of preservation, but it was robbed of its munitions many year ago.
            The ramparts around this latter fort were protected in early times by twelve eight-pound cannons. For years these watchdogs did silent duty, and then when their usefulness was gone, and they were able to bark no longer, they were sold for old junk to the Pembroke iron-works. The present large ordnance were placed at the Fort during the period of the Fenian scare, but they have never been used, except for practice. The present block-house became one of the possessions of the Dominion government at Confederation, and the militia department has since controlled its destinies and collected the rents therefrom. Within a recent period Lady Tilley has secured a lease of the block-house. It is not known what purpose she intends putting it to. It would make quite a romantic summer hotel.


July 16/1891
Octave Thanet writes of her Vacation Trip to Old St. Andrews by the sea.
SA by the Sea, July 1/1891
. . . There are dozens of interesting traditions afloat in St. Andrews and more than dozens of interesting characters. A placid old gentleman whose pretty cottage on the hill we noticed the first day, is the father of Canadian journalism, and a perfect mine of information. (A. W. Smith no doubt) Generally some time in the day one will see, either in the hotel or on the streets, a handsome, elderly man to whom everybody bows. Sometimes he is in a pony carriage driven by a dark eyed young man or by a sweet faced and Titian haired lady. This is Sir Leonard Tilley, the governor, the young man is his son, the charming woman his wife. They are all greatly loved in St. Andrews. And any old inhabitant would like nothing better than to tell stories of Sir Leonard’s eloquence when he was the member for Saint John. Lady Tilley entertains delightfully, and many a wanderer from the States carried back grateful memories of her home and her cook—and J--- wished me to add—her Jersey cows.


Feb. 4/1892
The Oldest Physician
Dr. S. T. Gove of SA, talks with the Beacon
Dr. Samuel Gove, of SA, is without doubt the oldest practicing physician in NB
            On Friday last the Beacon surprised Dr. Gove in his study and drew from him a few facts relative to his life history.
            Dr. Gove is a native of Gagetown, Queen’s Co., having seen the light of day there in 1813. His father came to this Province from New Hampshire after the Revolution and settled at Gagetown, where he married a daughter of Samuel Tilley, who took an active part in the American Revolution as a royalist. He landed at Saint John in 1783, and served on the first petit jury ever established in the province, under the grandfather of Sir John Allen.


Aug 11/1892
On the invitation of Sir Leonard Tilley, Sir John Thompson and a party of ladies and gentlemen, went out for fishing cruise in the “Crusoe” on Thursday last. There was a fine breeze blowing, and the little craft fairly flew over the water. The party returned at 5 o’clock well pleased with their good fortune. The gaiety at the Algonquin has been subdued the lat few days owing to the serious illness of Sir John Thompson’s little invalid daughter. Full of animation, she pleaded to be allowed to go on the excursion upriver on Saturday. But in her enfeebled condition, the journey proved too much for her, and on her return she was completely prostrated. Sir John and Lady Thomason and her two devoted sisters are constantly at her bedside, and if loving attention will restore her to health her recovery ought to be very rapid.


Jan 5, 1893
John Nicholas, patriarch of the Indian camp at Indian Point, Sa, thinks Mr. Beverly, of Saint John , a “very bad injun.” John took a bundle of fancy baskets to Saint John Christmas time to sell, and was doing a nice trade, when he says Mr. Beverly told the police authorities he was an “Eastport injun,” and he was bounced out of the market. A licence fee of $20 was demanded from him, but instead of paying it John visited his friend, Sir Leonard Tilley who promptly vouched for him as a Canadian thoroughbred. He succeeded in getting restored to his former status in the city market, but he lost a good day’s sale. His loss was Mr Beverley’s gain, and that’s what makes the latter such a “bad injun” in John’s eyes.


may 31/1894
A more beknighted town than St. Andrews does not exist in the Lower Provinces. We have now three knights on our tax list,--Sir Leonard Tilley, Sir Donald Smith, and last though not least, Sir William Van Horne!


may 24/1894
There Should be Another
The St. Andrews Beacon is putting on airs because that popular watering place has three knights on its assessment roll. The distinguished gentlemen who contribute towards keeping up the town, are Sir Leonard Tilley, Sir Donald Smith and Sir W. C. Van Horne, each of whom own extensive properties there—Fredericton Herald. Since the Beacon’s last paragraph on the subject was published, we have been told that another knight, Sir Charles Tupper, owns land in Sa, so that instead of having a claim on but three knights, we should have four on our list.


Aug 9/1894
Sir Leonard Tilley has been using his friendly offices to secure for St. Andrews a visit from Lord Aberdeen, and it is altogether likely that he will be successful. It is expected that the vice-regal party will arrive here from Saint John by special train on Friday night, 17th inst., and lodge at the Algonquin. The next forenoon will be devoted to sight-seeing and to the carrying out of any programme that may be decided upon by the local committee. ON Saturday afternoon, the cruiser Curlew will take the party for SS, from which point they will depart by special train for Halifax that night. The people of Charlotte are loyal to her majesty, and we are confident, will gladly welcome the opportunity to extend a hearty greeting to her majesty’s representative. [cf. Aberdeen’s connection with Van Horne in Montreal—see Knowles]


Sept 6/1894
Sir Leonard Tilley and Van Horne and Beacon added to Golf Club honorary membership.


June 25/1896
Leonard Tilley dying. "The people of St. Andrews and the people of Charlotte County, irrespective of politics, will be sorry to hear this sad news. For many years Sir Leonard has been a welcome summer resident of the Shiretown. He was identified with the Land Company's schemes and was hopeful of great results accruing from the summer traffic. It is only a week or two ago that he was here, arranging for the opening of his summer cottage. He did not purpose spending the season here, but he was looking forward to a few enjoyable weeks at the Algonquin."


July 9/1896
Baroness MacDonald, who has been visiting Lady Tilley in Saint John , came to St. Andrews on Monday night and is now the guest of Lady Van Horne at Covenhoven. She is in excellent health.


Aug 13/1896
Mr. and Mrs. Alan Ronald Macdonald, of Montreal, who again occupy the Tilley mansion as their summer quarters, entertained a number of guests with the delightful game of five-handed euchre one evening last week.


Sept 10/1896
The postponed meetings of the Land, Water and Hotel companies, of SA, were held on Thursday last, Mr. F. W. Cram being chosen president of the Land and Water Companies in place of Sir Leonard Tilley deceased. The other members of the different boards remain as before.


Aug 7/1902
Lady Tilley continuing to entertain visitors at her summer home.


Sept 19/1912
Lt. Governor Wood’s Visit
A Very Pleasant Holiday at SA
Lt. Governor and Mrs. Wood came down from St. Stephen with Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Ganong, on Thursday afternoon, last, and were the guests of Lady Tilley for a few days. . . . After the visit to the schools, the party went over to Minister’s island, where they enjoyed to hospitality of Sir William and Lady Van Horne.


Sept 11/1913
The experience of last Wednesday night, when a large portion of the town was threatened with sparks from a fire on the hill in the rear of the town, has abundantly demonstrated the necessity for a better water service than we now possess. St. Andrews has so far been singularly fortunate in the matter of fires but no one can tell when a situation will arise that will produce direful disaster. We want to get busy on the water question and at once.


(This was Lady Tilley’s barn) “Manager Allerton, of the Algonquin, who was catering for the Sun Insurance banqueters, also caught sight of the blaze, and ordered a string of hotel hose to be connected to the nearest hydrant. . . . Help soon arrived, and with their assistance, and with the splendid work done by the hotel fire brigade, the progress of the fire was soon stayed.”