Old St. Andrews

Main

Title

Thomas Turner Odell House

Content

Item

In 1908 Thomas Turner Odell, heir with his brother Edwin to a prosperous dry goods business established by Thomas Turner in the early 19th century, and carried on by his father Thomas Turner Odell, constructed this handsome neo-classical residence at the corner of Montague and Augustus streets. The architect was Neil Brodie of Saint John.

The house was piped for acetylene gas, as the town was still not ready for electricity. Electricity, as well as running water from Chamcook Lake, were both available at the Algonquin Hotel, but the hotel, owned by the Canadian Pacific Railway, had much deeper pockets than St. Andrews and it was not until 1922 or so that the Town had these two much sought after amenities. Acetylene gas was generated by individual homeowners; there was never a Town distribution system.

 

In the 30's the house was the property of William Cornelius Van Horne Jr., Sir William Van Horne's grandson.