ItemThe first Catholic Church was located at the corner of Mary and Parr Streets, at the head of the Town. It was erected in 1825 after a visit to the Town of Father Mauricett, who broached the subject with the local congregation, promising to return to see the thing completed. He never returned but the congregation went ahead regardless, with John Dunn donating the land and later, when an addition was built, John Wilson contributing the bell. This building was moved to Water and Church Streets in 1903 to form the stage area for the Andraeleo Club, headed up by Father O'Flaherty, and is still in place today as part of Europa Restaurant.
The present Catholic Church was completed in 1886, with Father O'Flaherty the driving force behind it. The architect was G. Ernest Fairweather of Saint John, and the inital cost for frame and related building materials was $3,500. The spire is 100 feet, the frame 50 x 70 feet, the pews, wainscotting and sanctuary rails - at least in the original church - were of native ash, finished in imitation of satin wood. The pews, numbering 52, were made by Scott, Lawton and Love of Saint John.