ItemSt. Andrews Bay Pilot, Dec 9, 1886
The Church of St. Andrew
The new church erected by the Catholic congregation of this town, was used for worship for the first time on Sunday the 5th inst. Masses were celebrated at 9 and 11 am, and vespers at 3:30 pm. That a new church was required, will be readily admitted, when the bad state of repair of the old one is considered. It was a question with the zealous and energetic priest of the parish, Rev. Father O'Flaherty, which was the wiser course, to pursue, repair and enlarge the old church, or erect a new one better adapted to the present requirements of the congregation, and more conveniently located.
Having settled that question in his own mind, and having secured the consent of his Lordship, Bishop Sweeney, together with that of leading member of the church in this parish, Father O'Flaherty at once took steps to secure a suitable site for the new building. He was fortunate enough to get a lot or lots, 160 feet square, bounded on one side by King and on the other by Parr street, the lots secured, the initial step towards the building was begun in March 1885, by hauling thereto the stone for the foundation, every stone of which was quarried and hauled free of coast, through the kindness of a number of the parishioners, with whom were associated friends of other communions.
The following month, the excavation for the foundation and cellar was commenced by Mr. Peter Carroll, under contract, and finished up in good shape. Immediately afterward a contract was made with Mr. Levi Handy for building the foundation, which he built solidly and well, and in a satisfactory manner. The excavation for and erection of the foundation cost about eight hundred dollars.
Meanwhile plans and specification of the building were prepared by G. Ernest Fairweather, Esq., Architect of St. John, upon which tenders were asked, and of these submitted, that Mr. Andrew Myles, of Portland, St. John, was accepted. The tender and contract included the furnishing of materials, erection of frame, and the exterior finish of the building which was figured about $3,500.
The contract was completed and taken off the contractors' hands, in December, 1885. Work was then suspended for the winter. In August last operations were again commenced with a view of the completion of the church. This part of the work which embraces the interior finish of the building, painting, etc., conditionally provided for in the first contract made with Mr. Myles, was done by him and sub-contractors under him that is to say the plastering by Mr. Levi Handy, of St. Andrews, the painting by Mr. M. H. Pullen of St. John, the pewing and interior wood finish by Mr. Myles, all of whom performed the work called for by their contracts in a satisfactory manner. The outlay on the building so far amounted to about $6,500.
The church is of the modern Gothic style of architecture, and with its tower and spire presents a very attractive exterior. From the ground to the apex of the cross surmounting the spire is one hundred feet; the ground space occupied by the main building is 50 x 70 feet; the vestry 17 x 28 feet. The church stands near the western side of the lot with its front facing King Street, from which through the main door entry is made into the sacred edifice; entry is also had through a side door leading to a passage and inner door in the tower.
On entering the church and taking a survey thereof, one is favorably prepossessed with its fine proportions, and neat and airy appearance, there being an entire absence of that deep religious gloom so often spoken of in connection with places of worship, the ceiling of the aisles and nave are finished in wood paneling, (stained in imitation of satin wood) with cherry trimmings. The pews, wainscoting and sanctuary railing, are of native ash, oil finished.
From the floor to the angle of the ceiling is 40 feet, the aisles are each 11 feet wide, and the nave 28 feet. The vestry is entered by doors to the right and left of the sanctuary rails, and also by a door leading from the east aisle. The altar and organ are those that were in use in the old church, it is to be hoped they will only be temporarily required in the new, and that some liberal souls may be moved to present the church with new and more costly ones. The organ stands in the organ gallery, situated immediately inside and above the main doorway, entry to which is had by a door and stairway leading from the tower. The pews are very neat and comfortable to worship in, they number 56 with floor room for about as many more. The pews were made by Messrs. Scott, Lawton and Love, of St. John. In accordance with the practice of the church, the building was privately blessed.
The church like the old one, is under patronage of St. Andrews, and will be formally dedicated by his Lordship bishop Sweeney, sometime next summer, of which due notice will be given. The Catholics of St. Andrews are to be congratulated upon now having a neat and comfortable church, reflecting credit upon their worthy priest, Father O'Flaherty, the members of the building committee, and the congregation, to the united efforts of all is due the fine building which is an ornament to the town of St. Andrews.