Old St. Andrews



Walter Morris



St. Andrews Beacon, July 7, 1910
Obituary Walter B. Morris

Though it was known that Mr. Walter B. Morris was not in robust health, few were prepared for the announcement of his death which occurred on Saturday noon. Death was due to enlargment of the heart. The deceased was 74 years old and was a native of England. After having been in the China service for some years he came to St. Andrews a young man. For a period he was station agent of the New Brunswick Railway Company. Afterwards he took up the insurance auction and brokerage business, and was engaged in that at the time of his death.

He was a prominent member of the Church of England, and for forty six years sang the praises of the church in the choir of All Saints. He is survived by his wife (who was a Miss Jack), and two daughters, Misses Lillian and May Morris, for whom deep sympathy is expressed. The funeral was held on Monday afternoon. Among the mourners were Mr. and Mrs. Norman Greathead, of San Francisco, and Mr. and Mrs. Fred. P. MacNichol, of St. Stephen. The body was first taken to All Saints church, where an impressive service was held by Rev. George H Elliott, the choir rendering the hymns "I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say" and "Alleluia," and also the Nunc Dimittis. The pall-bearers were Messrs. T. T. O'Dell, J. S. Thebaud, G. H. Stickney, C. S. Everett, W. E. Mallory, and G. D. Grimmer. Interment took place in the rural cemetery.


Feb 9/1911

Mrs. Walter Morris
The death occurred in Saint John hospital on Tuesday afternoon, of Mrs. Maria Morris, who passed away a few months ago. The deceased, who had been enjoying fairly good health, was taken ill a fortnight ago. As she continued to grow worse, an operation was decided upon. Last Wednesday, in company with Dr. Thomas Walker and her daughter, Miss Lillian Morris, who is a professional nurse, she was taken to the general hospital, St. John, where an operation was performed. She seemed to improve for a day or two after the operation, but on Monday her condition grew critical and on Tuesday afternoon death intervened and her sufferings came to an end. The deceased was 78 years old. She was the daughter of the late David Jack, who was prominent in the life of St. Andrews for many years. The late William and Henry Jack, of St. John, and the late Edward jack, of Fredericton, were brothers. Another brother, R. Melville Jack, C.E., resides in Sydney. He is the only surviving member of the Jack family. Mrs. Morris is survived by two daughters, Misses Lillian and May Morris. Bereft of both parents within a few months, very general sympathy is expressed for them. The body will arrive here on today’s train and interment will take place therefrom. The church service will be held in St. John.