Old St. Andrews

Main

Title

Happy Corner

Content

Item

Happy Corner

 

Standard
Nov 16, 1833
William Mooney, blacksmith
Begs to inform the Public, that he has resumed his old Forge below Happy Corner, where he now carries on his business in all its branches. He will exert himself to put work off his hands with despatch, and to the satisfaction of his Customers relying on a punctual attention to business as the best means of securing to him a competent share of employment.

 

Standard
March 9/1853
Fire. We are called upon this week to chronicle a rare occurrence in SA—the destruction by fire of eight houses, which were principally occupied as stores and dwellings. On Thursday night, about half past 9 o’clock, the inhabitants of the town were aroused by the ringing of the bells and the appalling cry of fire, which was discovered issuing from the roof of the store occupied by Mr. M. J. Elliott as a refreshment saloon, on the Western side of Water Street. The flames spread so rapidly that it was deemed impossible to save the adjoining buildings occupied as stores by Messrs. D. Bradley, C. E. O. Hathaway, and Francis Waddell. Mr. Waddell also resided in the same building commonly known as “Happy Corner.” the fire spread with fearful rapidly to the houses on the same side down William Henry street to the harbor, and it was not without great exertions Mr. Bradford’s hotel (only separated by a narrow lane from Mr. Bradley’s store,) was saved, not without damage to the end next the fire, which had ignited, but was quickly put out by the engines constantly playing upon it while water was to be had; and we believe that, had it not been for the supply obtained from the tank in the house of G. F. Campbell Esq., the whole block would have been reduced to ashes. The goods which were promptly removed from the stores have been so much damaged that the greater part are unsaleable. The probably value of the houses is estimated at about 1300 pounds. We understand that upon the goods and houses destroyed, there are policies for upwards of $2850. This much we must say, that he firemen populace and military worked hard of their own accord, to save the property from the devouring element. The management or rather want of management and order at the fire, needs no comment. The fire is said to have originated from a defect in the chimney.

 

Standard
April 27/1853
The property commonly known as “Happy Corner” on Water and William Henry streets, containing one lot and a half, was sold at public auction yesterday, to Mr. D. Bradley, for 400 pounds. This site is said to be one of the most eligible stands for business in SA, and adjoins the property owned and occupied by Mr. Bradley pervious to the late fire.

 

Standard
Nov 3/1858
During last year 19 buildings have been erected. Mr. Bradley's large building corner Water and William--former Happy Corner--private dwelling and dry goods. "The store will be finished in a superior style with all the modern improvements, and is the largest of the kind in the place." 56 by 56 feet. C. M. Gove has erected building near railway station foot Water Street as flour store and warehouse. "This large building presents an imposing appearance, and has been neatly finished." Contractors A. Campbell and F. Godfrey. (South Water, between Augustus and Patrick)

 

Pilot
July 11, 1878
Jottings on the Street, No. 5
We take our stand-point today, for a brief hour or so, at “Happy Corner.” This once Happy Corner may be a happy corner yet, for aught is known—but in the days of the smiling hostess, Mrs. McEleevy, who kept entertainment for man and beast, it was in very truth, a “Happy Corner;” so far as a “good table” was laid to appease the hungry, and the merry jingling of wine cups in unison with the clatter of gravy dishes, tureens, and soup-ladles, the welcomings of the generous hostess, and the familiar comforts of “Bed and Board.” Time rolled on, and graham succeeded the lady at “Happy Corner.”
            Time still passed on, and now the “Bar” is closed, the rattle and jingling have ceased; boarders have departed, bar-room customers have found another favorite resort, and Frank Waddell, the tailor, takes possession of “Happy Corner.” All alone in his work, he made himself as happy as possible, and his customers were happy in “good fits” and neat apparel. Then, a change came!
            Fire, in all its fury, raged over “Happy Corner,” leaving it a heap of ashes; nothing more. Then the enterprising Dennis Bradley stood meditatively one, day, gazing on the corner of ashes; and resolved to erect an edifice of brick upon the spot; he at once commenced operations, and in due process of time the same handsome brick structure which it to be seen there today was completed for Dennis Bradley.
            The “Old Bradford House” so called, was erected by Colonel Weir; afterwards, became the property of a Mr. Bailey; then changed hands, and Mr. John Bradford took possession. It is now known as the Megantic Hotel, kept by Mr. Neill, whose popularity as a genial host runs parallel with that of the deceased John Bradford, who was a general favourite in St. Andrews.
            From “Happy Corner” to the present “Passamaquoddy House,” kept by Mrs. McLeod, the fire swept every building—leaving but one house standing1 It seemed a strange thing, that not a building of any description escaped the fiery scourge save one—the “Old Bradford House.” Why the merciless, devouring element passed it by, is regarded almost singularly mysterious, even to this day—but so it is. And there it is.

 

Pilot
Dec. 16, 1886
Reminiscences of Old St. Andrews
A Paper Found Among the Effects of the late John Campbell,, Dated June, 1876
The Bay Pilot’s publication of the names of the several streets in St. Andrews {where?} reminds one of the old time boys of the Shire Town, of its appearance as far back as his recollection dates, say nearly seventy years ago. Water Street at that time was pretty well dotted with buildings, while the other parallel streets had but few houses, and the streets at right angles were but little improved beyond Queen Street. Taking the easterly side of Water street at the corner of Harriet, was the residence of Peter Stubs, Esq., who at the time carried on mercantile business in the old red store at the corner of Adolphus and Water street one the west side. The next buildings in the street were between Mary and Adolphus streets, vis: Springate’s, Goldsmith’s White and Shaw; crossing Adolphus street, Mrs. Garnett occupied a house on the corner, Mr. Campbell, a residence in the centre of the block, approached by a carriage way, and Miss McKenzie resided on the corner of Elizabeth Street; diagonally opposite was the residence of John Wilson,, Esq., passing down Water street was the several buildings occupied by McGrath, Patterson the watchmaker, Muir, Parkinson, with Mrs. Strang’s house on the corner, in which C. Scott had his office and store fronting Edward Street,; crossing Edward Street on the east side was Mrs. Mowatt’s residence, George Mowatt’s store, the Parker House, owned I think b Nicholas Johnson, Dr. McStay’s, McEleary’s, Mrs. Berry and Berrys corner; on the opposite side of the street, in front of the Mrs. Mowatt’s, was Coroner McLaughlan, Mrs. Johnston, John A. Young, Getty, Wiliard, Southwick, and Sharples on the corner below. William street was Merrill’s Bakery, standing some short distance back from Water Street, then Mrs. Campbell’s, a small building occupied afterward by Campbell and McKena, the Episcopal Church, Mr. Henderson’s or the Whitlock house, Rankins P. Keleher, and Jere’h Currier on the corner of King Str. On the opposite side of Water street in the same block was Happy Corner, Boyd and Boyle’s store, Mrs. Boyd’s afterward, Mrs. R. Wilson’s Boarding House, Capt. A Strahan and Daniel McMaster on the corner; below McMaster’s corner on King street, was the large store of Richard Hasluck.

 

St. Croix Courier
Sept 27/1951
News Notes from SA
Happy Corners—Some little time ago we were asked by Mr. Walter DeWolfe of St. Stephen if we could tell him where “Happy Corners” was located in St. Andrews. It seems that in the year 1819 Mr. DeWolfe ancestors (Stevenson’s) came out to this country and spent the night at a house called “Happy Corners.” Mr. DeWolfe has this information in a diary. The next day they continued on to St. Stephen and eventually settled there. After making a great many inquired among the older residents of SA, without success, we have at last been enlightened by Mrs. James Ross. “Happy Corners” was a small house just behind the old Coffee House. Both the Coffee House and Happy Corners were destroyed by the disastrous fire of June 1930. The present home of Frank Henderson is on the site of the old Coffee House. How or why the adjacent building was called Happy Corners remains unknown but Mrs. Ross can vouch for the location of the house as her own family lived in it at one time.

 

Beacon
Sept 18/1902
Odell Bros.
Department Store
There are no commercial enterprises that add so much to the importance of any town, as the department stores of the present day. St. Andrews is not behind the times in this respect, as may be seen by a visit to the establishment conducted by Messrs. Odell Bros. The business was originally founded away back in 1825 by John Odell. It was then for many years carried on b the late T. Turner Odell, who conducted it until 1891 when, at his death, Messrs. T. T. and E. Odell assumed control, under the firm name of Odell Bros. the premises occupied are very large and include three floors of a building 85 x 30 feet in dimensions which are filled to repletion with a varied assortment of merchandise, consisting of all kinds of dry and fancy goods, ladies’ garments, dress good, ladies and gentlemen’s’ furnishings, small wares, ready made clothing for men and boys, hats and caps, carpets, furniture, and a thousand and one articles too numerous to itemize and found only in a first class establishment of the kind. Messrs. T. T. and E. Odell are both natives of SA, and were reared and educated here.