The Marine Hospital
Sept 11, 1872
Marine Hospital next to Court House burned to ground. Insured in North British office for $1,400. Court House drenched with water escapes injury, as does Jail.
Tupper in town.
The New Marine hospital is boarded in, and the work is being rapidly carried forward by a large staff of carpenters, masons and others. A tower has been erected on the flat roof, which adds materially to the architectural appearance of the building, which will be an ornament to the town. The tower, we learn, is for the signal service, and will be used as an observatory; it commands a view of the surrounding country for several miles, and may be seen from any point. The building when finished will be a credit to the Port, and to its architect and builder, Mr. Angus Stinson.
Execution of Thomas Dowd
. . . Some 40 persons had gained access to the roof of the Hospital which stands in close proximity to the jail, overlooking the “Yard” where Dowd was hung; and, they had every facility to witness the operations.
Kennedy’s Hotel burns to the ground.
On Wednesday afternoon, 15th inst. the Town Bell rang out the exciting peal of Fire! It was only the work of a few minutes before the Fire Companies, Nos. 1 and 2, were at the Engine House, and away on the run down along Water Street toward Kennedy’s Hotel. Capt. McKinney of No. 1 and Capt. Magee of No. 2, with their men, were now on the scene of action. Kennedy’s Hotel was on fire! That was enough. Officers and men of both companies worked as firemen do. The firemen of St. Andrews are determined, zealous, and full of pluck—that is the record. As evening closed around them the intense cold of the day increased in intensity; and notwithstanding all was done that human effort could do under the circumstances—the Hotel succumbed to the fiery conqueror; and heaps of ashes and smoking debris were all that remained to tell the story of the conflagration. Capt. Magee with a few others remained with his engine, until the Morning Star shone out like a bright diamond among its firmamental sisters—when weary and cold, the gallant fellows retired to their homes. In connection with the burning of the Hotel, the following accidents occurred. Joseph Shaw, fireman, No. 1 Company, fell from a ladder and was so seriously injured that he and to be taken home. James Heenan, Mariner, received so much injury from a falling chimney that he was taken to the Marine Hospital, and Capt. John S. Magee had both feet so badly frozen that Dr. Gove had to be sent for the render medical aid. The Hotel was insured for $5,000 and the furniture for $1500—but no money consideration can compensate for all the inconvenience, expense, trouble and distress consequent of being burned out of house and home in mid-winter, especially with a large family. It is expected that Mr. Kennedy will be encourage to re-build a new and bigger hotel on the Clark lot opposite the Market Square, as such an establishment would prove an acquisition to the town and profitable to the proprietor.
Pilot Valedictory. See photocopy and below
Also: “The Algonquin hotel, the engraving of which we republish by request, is fast approaching completion. It is safe to say that no enterprise in this town has ever been so energetically prosecuted as that of the erection of this large and sightly structure, excepting we might say that of the erection of Kennedy’s hotel. The outlook from the A is of the most charming description, presenting a panoramic view of beauty by flood and field, seldom equalled and less frequently excelled. From the eyrie on the tower which is at an elevation of 105 feet from the ground, and 255 feet above high water mark, one sees the town of Sa, lying in all its beauty, the eye takes in the public buildings, churches court house, marine hospital, etc., together with the leaf embowered cottages, dotted here and there within its limits, while immediately adjoining lies . . .”
The Oldest Physician
Dr. S. T. Gove of SA, talks with the Beacon
Dr. Samuel Gove, of SA, is without doubt the oldest practicing physician in NB
. . . In public matters, he has taken quite a prominent pat. He was a director of the Charlotte County bank until the day it closed its doors. He was a Class A stock holder and director in the English railway, until the final transfer to the English stockholders. He has reason to believe that he is now the only survivor of the first railway board in Canada, and can boast of having seen the first mile of railway in Canada and the first locomotive that ran over it. For thirty-five years he has been a coroner in Charlotte County. Since 1849 he has had charge of the Marine hospital and the quarantine affairs of the port. When the “Star” arrived here in 1947, with nine-tenths of her two hundred or more passengers sick of fever, they were placed on Quarantine Island, where between 75 and 100 of them died. Dr. Gove, Dr. Edwin Bayard and Commissioner Boyd were stricken down with the typhus at the same time, but they recovered.
Biographical piece of dry goods business of John S. Magee. [former editor of Pilot?]
Also biographical piece on Capt, Morrison, presently laid up at the Marine Hospital, and his adventures overseas in India and elsewhere.
Marine Hospital to be Closed
On Monday, Customs Collector Gove received an official notification from the Marine department that the Marine Hospital at St. Andrews would be closed on the 31st of December. Instructions were further given as to the board and medical attendance of any sick mariners coming here. Of late years, there have been very few patients at the Hospital. Last year there was only one inmate, and he was there but a short period. The governmental policy of late has been to close up the marine hospital and board any sick or disabled sailors at the general hospitals, where such exist. Some years ago this was done in St. john and the marine hospital, a very costly structure, has been closed ever since. In St. Andrews, during the past few years, the government have the hospital free to the person who would undertake to board any sick sailors at $3 per week. No other supplies were granted, and the care-taker was even expected to keep the building in repair. The physician in attendance received $100 per year.