Old St. Andrews

Main

Title

The Men's Club

Content

Item

The Men’s Club

 

St. Croix Courier
Feb 1/1945
Silver Engraving
The Men’s Club now has 104 members and at the monthly meeting last Friday evening decided with the permssion of the proprietor to move back a parititon and enlarge the room. . . .

 

St. Croix Courier
Feb 22, 1945
Shiretown Items
Regular Monthly Meeting
[report on tournaments at Men’s Club.]
Dr. J. F. Worrell was the winner in the chess tourney, making 27 points out of a possible 30.

 

St. Croix Courier
Sept 26, 1946
Shiretown items
Men’s Club
The St. Andrews’s Men’s Club have taken a lease of mrs. Handy’s shop opposite the Commodore Hotel, and if possible plan to make the club a year round affair in order to hold the room which is ideally located. A larger . . . yea rot make the undertaking a success. The first year the bluc had over a hundred membes, many of whom rarely visited the rooms, but contributed their dies to help out a good cause. Last year, expenses beign less, only shoe actively interested joined up. Now again the club needs the support of every man and boy, sixteen or over, in order t keep the monthly dues ow as formerly. This club is a fine thing in the town and provides regualr harmless amusement for many during the long winter eveings at chess, checkers and cards. No gambling, profanit or lquor are allowed. A meeting will be hald in the room tomorrow, Friday night, Sept. 27, to elect a new slate of officers and lay plans fo the winter.

 

St. Croix Courier
Aug 12/1948
Shiretown items
Comments of visitors to St. Andrews men’s Club recorded by Worrell, two of which refer to having been coming to St. Andrews in summer for 40 to 45 years.
            Anecdote about weary traveller who lured by sign advertising tourist cabins with heated cabins and running water discovered the heat was in the form of wood you had to split yourself and the water ran from a hole in the bucket from which it had to be carried from the well.

 

St. Croix Courier
Aug 25/1949
Viscount Alexander, GG of Canada, visits Men’s Club. Photo on wall will accompany Barbara Ann, Lt. Gov. McLaren and other hon. members. Photo taken in door of room with R. D. Rigby.

 

St. Croix Courier
October 6, 1949
Shiretown Items
Frank O’Halloran
Frank O’Halloran, a kind-hearted, unassuming and lovable friend, has gone to his long home and the mourners go about the streets. The silver cod of life has been loosed, the pitcher brokena t the fountain and nothing reamisn to us but a golden bowl of happy memories. These memories take us back to the time when Frank, a sturdy youth of 18, was a star at cricket, and rugby footfall, the favortie sports here in those days. I have often spent a pleasant half hour with him, talking of those old times, especially of our cricket games with Woodstock and our football games with St. Stephen, and all the amusing incidents connected with thoswe events. Although in poor health all summer, Frank rarely missed his daily visit to the Men’s Club. To all oldtimers he was affectionately known as “Carrigan” and he was the type of person, having  ahost of friends an dno enemies, who will be greatly missed.

 

St. Croix Courier
Jan 26/1950
Shiretown Items
Men’s Club
The members of the Men’s Club are much concerned over the proposed sale fo the building in which their room is situated. It is an ideal location for a club-room being on the main street in the centre of the tow and the room which is occupied by the club being on the ground floor. During the tenancy of the club, Mr.s Handy ahd frequent chances to rent the room at a higher figure but aways said that as long as she live th emen could hold the room. Now hat she is gone things are different. The heirs wish to sellthe building an the men will have to get out.  The club has a lease extending to the end of 1950. Just how this lease will be affected by the sale of the property is a qustion for the lawyers. Five different parties are desirous of purchasing the propoerty. Owing to to lakc of funds the club has made no bid. The sad feature of the matter is that the club will have to disband as there is not anotehr suitable place in town available. This club has been an untold blessing to a few and a source of great enjoyment to many. It has been a common meeting ground for men of all stations in life. It has been a boon to strangers who see the “welcome” sign and drop in for a game of cards, checkers or chess. It has been one fo the fine institutions of this small town, a meeting-place where, by rules of the club, ano gambling, no liquor, and no profanity were permitted If it is soon to become nothing

 

St. Croix Courier
May 4/1950
Shiretown Items: Men’s Club
The building in which the Men’s Club has been located for several years has been purchased by Ross Brothers, Charlotte County Cottage Craft, and extensive repairs are being made. The ground floor has been rented to Mr. Taylor who will live in the rear and dispense antiques in the front. The large room upstairs formerly occupied by Rose McKay, public stenographer, has been re-decorated and will become the new home for the Men’s Club. One of the smaller rooms has been fitted up for Miss McKay, and the third room upstairs will also be for rent. In some ways the club members find the new quarters superior to the old. The room is larger and has more windows and more light with a fine view of the harbor and an excellent outlook on the doings of the street. its disadvantages are more pronounced, however. In addition to a raise of 50 percent in the rent there will be the expense of installing and operating a lift to provide accommodation for the members whose “legs is all gone.”  We have the design for this contraption but it will not be built until Mr. Pillow arrives to supervise operations. His own model, being the first machine of its kind in the world, is a clumsy affair and requires too much gasoline to run it. it is hoped that after a long winter spent in serious and profound thought he will have developed some improvements which will afford greater facility of operation, and reduction in costs. The greatest disadvantage of all however is that our summer friends passing along the street may not drop in for a game or a chat as formerly. At any rate we are thankful that we still have a place to meet and we are grateful to our landlords for fixing the room up so nicely for us.

 

St. Croix Courier
June 22/1950
Worrell: Sea Captain’s Loft: “The Sea Captain’s Loft, carrying English China, antiques and crafts, is attracting many visitors and, no doubt, some of them are making purchases. The store, which is opposite the Commodore Hotel, in the room formerly occupied by the Men’s Club, is well stocked with goods attractively displayed. A bay-window built into the wall facing the public square greatly improves the appearance of the building. The proprietors, Mr. and Mrs. Taylor, seem to be well liked by those who have visited the store.

 

St. Croix Courier
Oct 5/1950
Shiretown items: Various items on Men’s Club members. Gov. Gen Viscount Alexander, Lt. Gov. McLaren, Senator Wilson, Sir James Dunn and others.

 

St. Croix Courier
Sept 6/1951
Big dances at Arena, with 11-piece “Blue Barron” providing music. Two vocalists. Trumpeter hot.
            News Notes: Men’s Club: After having been in three different locations since its founding some years ago by the late Frank Stuart, the Men’s Club is soon to have its own permanent home. Work has already been begun on the building, which is situated directly back of the Post Office at the spot where the Public Wharf joins the abutment. The new building measuring 18 by 36 feet over with a 16 foot ceiling, will include a spacious clubroom and an enclosed verandah facing the harbour. The entire building will be insulated for use all winter and the materials used will be the best, it is stated. The contract price is said to be close to $5,000 and already the subscription list of donations by members totals over $1,000. The Men’s Club has enjoyed continued prosperity since its beginning and has been a most worthwhile effort on the part of those who keep it going. Many pleasant hours are spent within its confines by men both young and old, who would not have an opportunity to enjoy each other’s friendship if it were not for this fine institution. When the new building is ready for occupancy we venture to say that being located back at street level again and so near the Market Wharf, the Club will be more popular than ever.

 

St. Croix Courier
Sept 13/1951
News Notes: Women’s Club?
Now that a Men’s Club quarters are nearing completion and will be ready for occupancy in a couple of weeks, we hear rumours that a Women’s Club is to be formed. We are told they have a building plan ready and have gone so far as to pick out a location. It will be opposite the Men’s Club on the left hand side of the wharf. The building will be of similar design but all under one roof and will not have patent shingle siding. Distaff doings in the new club will be restricted to knitting and crocheting (no gossip) and Canasta but we have been informed by a reliable source that the real purpose of the Club is to give many of the women a chance to keep an eye on their husbands.

 

St. Croix Courier
Sept 27/1951
Official Opening Next Week—The new quarters of the Men’s Club are expected to have their official opening next week. Just what the plans are for the inaugural have not been made known but there is a rumor that Lt. Gov. D. L. McLaren will be on hand to cut the ribbon and dedicate the new building.

 

St. Croix Courier
Oct 25/1951
Men’s Club has Venetian blinds, storm windows, and a new flagpole. Henry McQuoid pres. of St. Andrews arena.

 

St. Croix Courier
Nov 22/1951
News Notes: Men’s Club to be opened Nov 29 by Lt. Gov McLaren and a 45’s match to be played against St. Stephen with McLaren as Captain (45’s a long-standing tradition in club, esp. with McLaren)

 

St. Croix Courier
Dec 6/1951
Lieut.-Gov. D. L. McLaren Opens New Building (Men’s Club)
            On Thursday evening at 8:00 the new St. Andrews Men’s Club was officially opened by Lt.-Gov. D. L. McLaren. He was accompanied by Major William Schofield as aide-de-camp. The Men’s Club started Dec. 29, 1944 and was organized by the late Frank Stuart, a native son who returned to reside in St. Andrews after spending a number of years in the US. He was the club’s first president.
            It is a social club for men only where they enjoy card games, chess, checkers and dominoes, and occasionally engage in friendly tournaments with guests from neighbouring towns. There is always reading material available which has been donated by individuals. The club occupied its first years in the building now owned Thompson’s Taxi, later moving to the Handy building and remaining there until this fall when the new club room was erected at the head of Market Wharf on the edge of Memorial Square at the cost of about $5,000.
            It is an entirely insulated building 35 by 18 feet with a hip roof, two four foot picture windows on the harbor side, and a verandah facing the wharf. The outside is finished with white painted clapboards, and the interior of the building is finished with knotty pine. Five ventilators supply plenty of fresh air and there is a washroom and storage room. it has oil heating and fluorescent lighting, Venetian blinds on the windows and awnings on the harbor side. Funds were provided by members,, popular subscription and special gifts from some of the honorary members. The membership in this club has rapidly increased and at the present time there are about 43 resident members who pay $1 per month and 73 honorary members at a fee of $1 per season. Among the latter are many summer residents. Included among the gifts to the Men’s Club is a Union Jack flag, size three by six feet, a gift from Mrs. Howard Pillow, of St. Andrews and Montreal. Hanging on the walls of the new club room one can see treasured pictures collected through the years, among them autographed photographs presented by the Governor General Viscount “Alexander of Tunis; Lt.-Gov. D. L. McLaren; Hon. C. D. Howe; Sir James Dunn; Dr. H. D. Burns, and Miss Barbara Ann Scott, all of whom have visited the club personally.

 

St. Croix Courier
Oct. 20/1955
News Notes. 1947 Men’s Club ground floor present Sea Captain’s Loft. Next year second floor same building.