Old St. Andrews



Morrison's Hotel



William Morrison, Hotelier


Feb 10/1874
Ad for Morrison’s Hotel.


Morrison’s Hotel
Corner Water and Edward Sts., St. Andrews
The subscriber thankful for the support which he has received, respectfully announces to his friends and the public generally that he has removed to his large House, corner of Water and Edward Streets, for the reception of Travellers and Permanent Borders, and hopes by strict attention to business, and efforts to please, to obtain a share of public patronage. The table will be supplied with the best the market affords, and the rooms are furnished in good style, warm, and well-ventilated. Particular attention given to getting up dinner sand suppers. He also keeps on hand the best wines, brandies, whiskey, etc. Connected with the house is a large and well arranged stable, with an abundant supply of hay, oats, etc.
--William Morrison, St. Andrews, Jan 14, 1873


June 17/1874
A handsome piazza has been recently erected in front of Morrison’s Hotel, new large windows have also taken the place of the old ones, and other improvements made in the hotel, which have added to its appearance and comfort, as well as to its popularity. The stables have also been enlarged and repaired.


Dec 23/1874
Morrison’s Hotel—During the fall the proprietor of this hotel has made many additions and improvements both inside and outside his premises. A large, well finished, and commodious stable has been erected, which we learn is well patronised by travellers and country friends. There is also a smaller sable in rear which is as warm and convenient as some houses. Such enterprise should merit a liberal patronage.


May 12/1875
Morrison’s has undergone improvements and additions. Details.


Aug 18/1875
Picnic Club meets at Mowatt’s Grove.
One of those very pleasant affairs, which the young men of St. Andrews know so well how to get up and arrange, was held at Mowat’s Grove on Wednesday last. The day was clear and fine, and the “St. Andrews Pic Nic Club,” had left nothing undone to make the Pic Nic what it really was—a most enjoyable reunion of the townspeople and visitors. The total absence of class or party, and the universal observance of those amenities which render such gatherings agreeable and pleasant, made all present feel happy. The “Club” had carriages in waiting at the head of the Town to convey persons to the grounds. The tables were nicely arranged, and filled with an abundance of good thing—wild and cultivated fruits with an ample supply of sugar and cream, cake, tarts and pies, chicken, ham and tongue, and those healthy beverages tea and coffee were dispensed by fair hands and generous hearts. After all present had partaken of the viands, some strolled about the grounds while many entered into the various games, and others enjoyed themselves by dancing on the platform erected for that purpose. The music was supplied alternately by Mr. Holden on the Violin, and by the Quintets corps of the St. Andrews Band. The polkas, galops, schottische and waltzes were above the average, there was no jostling, blundering or stopping. A few joined in a good old scotch reel, and contra dances, when the artistic old steps came out in bold relief, and reminded one of the “gold old times.” The Amusements on the grounds were various, such as pitching quoits, archery, jumping, wheelbarrow and sack races, for which prizes were offered. The Band the meanwhile played some select pieces. A more agreeable and happy gathering could not take place than that of Wednesday last, and the young men who carried it out so successfully merit the thanks of the community. When the shades of evening came on, the large party returned to town, pleased and delighted with the Pic Nic. On Friday evening the young men, composing the committees of arrangements, had a super at Morrison’s Hotel, provided in the host’s usual excellent style.


Oct 27/1875
Stable in rear of large barn back of Morrison Hotel to be removed preparatory to erection of new wing. Stable in rear of Megantic owned by Whitlock and Hughes.


June 20/1877
Piece on summer visitors and hotels in St. Andrews. See photocopy
It is generally believed, that persons from Ontario and other parts of Canada will visit the Maritime Provinces, during the present season--among them are reported some of the leading political magnates. St. Andrews with its salubrious climate, splendid drives, healthful sea bathing, beautiful bay for yachting, excellent fishing and other pleasures, offers advantages for invalids, or pleasure seekers, not surpassed in the province. True there are no immense hotels, such as large cities can boast of, nevertheless there are good hotels of moderate size, well conducted, and supplied with everything that a reasonable visitor could expect, and at moderate prices; among them we may mention Morrison’s hotel, the “Megantic,’ the “Passamaquoddy,” and near the Railway station, Kennedy’s hotel, which has been recently enlarged. In addition to these are several private boarding houses, which have heretofore been patronized. Communication with all parts of the continent is kept up daily by steam, rail and sate. And we may add that the hospitality of St. Andrews people is proverbial. With these advantages it is hoped that during the next few weeks, many will improve the opportunity of leaving the dusty, close and over-heated cities, and enjoy all the comforts we have briefly alluded to.


June 20, 1878
Jottings on the Street, No. 3
Leisurely walking on from our last point of observation, and not intending to introduce the occupants of private residences to public notice, the sign—“James Stoop, Merchant Tailor,” tells the business prosecuted beneath it.
            It also reminds one of the Mr. Stoop of some 40 years ago; and that the sons and daughters of the Father. Opposite, “Morrison’s Hotel” holds out its invitation; and adjoining it, the sign “St. Andrews House” also gives a silent invite to the hungry and the weary.
            A little below is a small “Lunch House,” where those who do not find it convenient to wait for regular meals can always get refreshment. Next Mr. Stoop’s establishment is the store and dwelling of Jr. R. Bradford, Esq., the same gentleman who recently returned from his European tour; and who expatiates in fervid description of the scenery of France. France seems to be his idol-land. Passing on, on the same side of Water Street, we find a well-filled store kept by a Mr. McLaughlin; and over it, the “Standard” newspaper printing office.
            All around these place, and approximate, are the relics of “Old Times;” and the youth of today would find many an interesting circumstance, if all were related. Next to this Store, and the “Standard” office, is the antiquated residence of Mr. John Lochary. This aged townsman, a native or Ireland, has been a long resident here, 58 years last march, and at one time in his life’s business-history, when “times were good” in SA; carried on a brisk and flourishing mercantile trade. He was always reputed a man of strict integrity in all his dealings. the close “shutters” now tell in mute and melancholy tone that, the once enterprising Mr. Lochary has ended his industrious career; and that, the press of years and old age have come—to change all of the past; and, in monitory pleadings point his vision away from the “closed shutters” to behold in grand exchange—the open, pearly gates of a City whose “builder and maker is God.”
            The old St. Andrews Coffee House, of ninety-five years ago, will demand attention in our next issue. Written documents of “Pounds, Shillings, and Pence,” in connection with the old “Coffee House,” have been kindly handed us by a friend to aid us in the coming details. Our readers, will please exercise patience and the Bay Pilot will try to satisfy


June 25/1879
Improvements at Morrison’s Hotel.


Aug 13/1879
Governor General and party reach Saint John and Fredericton. (Marquis of Lorne) Kennedy’s getting 10 to 15 guests per day. Morrison’s less again--mostly CC, with smattering from Boston, Portland, Eastport.


July 31/1879
Morrison’s Hotel operating. List of guests. Also guests at Kennedy’s.


Aug 21/1879
The guests at Morrison’s and Kennedy’s are mainly Charlotte County, with a smattering from Boston and other parts of New England.


July 14/1880
Morrison’s Hotel also mentioned. Windsor House.


Oct 6/1881
. . . The hotels named in order according to their size and capacity, and a description of which I will give you at some other time, are The Argyll, located at the eastern extremity of the town, on a high knoll, commanding a beautiful view of the town of SA, as well as the islands of and Passamaquoddy Bay; Kennedy’s which also is a new building, is located on water Street, at the eastern corner of Market Square, is newly furnished and capable of accommodating upwards of one hundred guests. Both of these hotels are constructed on the most improved and fashionable plans, being ventilated and lighted as well as it is possible for modern architects to plan. Next in order comes The American, newly furnished and fitted, Morrison’s, Megantic, Passamaquoddy, and the St. Andrews Houses, from which the traveller, tourist or summer boarder can make his choice and amongst which he cannot fail to find accommodations to suit both his taste and the number of his ducats. In my next, I will try to give you a description of the two principal hotels, as well as of the carriage drives, boating facilities, yachting courses, as well as the picturesque and enchanting land and water scenery of St. Andrews and Passamaquoddy Bay.” G. H. A. Y.


Dec 5, 1889
[Obit. for William Morrison, creator of Morrison’s Hotel, in later years, after that the Windsor House]
On Sunday last, all that was mortal of the late Wm. Morrison was deposited in St. Andrews Cemetery. “For twenty years, Mr. Morrison had been an invalid, suffering from a most painful disease. On more than one occasion he had been brought so near death’s door that he could almost see within its portal, but his wonderful vitality always came to his rescue just at the moment his friends thought he was passing away. The deceased was a native of Sa, having been born here in 1829. In early life he “followed the sea,” acting for the most part in the capacity of ship’s steward. He crossed the Atlantic over fifty times, visiting many foreign climes, and bringing back with him a wealth of anecdote with which for years he delighted those whom he me. He was married twenty-six year ago, when he abandoned the sea forever and entered upon hotel-keeping. [1863 Morrison’s Hotel opens?] Some years ago his health became so bad that he had to give up the hotel business. [origin of Windsor House?] Since then he has lived quietly, suffering the most excruciating pain with a calmness and fortitude that few people would manifest. In the midst of al his suffering he was ever ready to assist others to enjoy themselves, and in the summer season, when his health would permit, no picnic party appeared to be properly made up unless he was with it, to enliven by his anecdotes and wit. His death, which occurred on Friday last, was hastened by a cold he received while attending a picnic on St. Andrews Island last summer. The deceased was one of the oldest Free Masons in the County, having been “made” in the old Hibernia lodge. His wife survives him. His funeral, at which Rev. Arch. Gunn officiated, was very largely attended.


March 5/1903
The hotel at the upper end of Water Street, which was successfully managed for a number of years by the late William Morrison, and which was recently sold by his widow to Mr. H. A. Delong, is open for the reception of guests. Mr. Delong appeals through the columns of the Beacon for patronage for the Windsor House—the name by which the hotel will be known in future.