Old St. Andrews



Smaller Hotels



Oct. 30/1834
Mann's Hotel, St. Andrews. "Every attention paid to ladies and gentlemen going by the steam boats and packets. A few gentlemen can be accommodated with genteel board and lodging.


Jan 22, 1835
Mann’s Hotel
St. Andrews, NB
Travellers can procure superior accommodation at he above establishment; where a good larder, and the choicest wines and liquors are constantly provided. Every attention paid to ladies and gentlemen going by the steamboats and packets. A few gentlemen can be accommodated with Genteel Board and Lodging, and will find the proprietor desirous of contributing to their comfort.


Feb 25/1836
Ad for Getty’s Hotel, William and Water St.


May 18/1837
Commercial Hotel: Charles McGee. "Genteel boarding house and stabling" also retail store--liquor, pork, beef, oatmeal in barrels from Belfast, fish groceries, flour meal.


Dec 9/1837
SA/SJ Mail Stage
Leaving St. Andrews M/W/F at 6:00 am; Carleton T/R at 7 am.
One-day service. See previous article.
One-way 25 shillings.
Leaves St. Andrews at Mrs. McLeavy's Hotel.


May 25/1839
Lack of accommodation in Fredericton now met by two hotels owned by Mr. Jackson and Mr. Seger. From Fred to Boston in 3 days--Woodstock coach every other day to Houlton and Bangor, then steamboat to Boston. "We are quite satisfied that there will be a considerable influx of travelling now that suitable accommodation can be obtained; and the delightful sail on the river St. John will form an attraction when known, which will ensure remuneration to those individuals who have devoted their means to the accommodation of the public."--Sentinel


March 19/1841
SA Stage this winter. Leaves Fred. Hotel every Monday 8 am, Temperance House St. Andrews every Thursday. 30 shillings. One day. Feb 17/1841


July 29/1842
Copeland Hotel. St. Andrews Amateur band to play there. Also Paul's Hall.


July 23/1845
SA Hotel. William Ross. Formerly hotel of L. L. Copeland. Near Market Wharf.


Sept 10/1845
L. L. Copeland running thrice weekly mail stage (overnight) to SA-SJ. W. H. Williams has contracted to run Royal Mails between SA/SJ. Books at Saint John Hotel and Ross Hotel, St. Andrews.


Oct 8/1845
Miss Holland at St. Andrews Hotel taking daguerreotype miniatures in latest style. Three dollars.


Feb 25/1846
L. L. Copeland will reopen St. Andrews Hotel in April, "the present occupant's lease expiring at that time."


February 10, 1847
Valuable Property for Sale
That well known establishment in St. Andrews called “Copelands Hotel,” at present occupied by the subscriber.
            The house if 50 feet by 40, with cellars, and kitchen and woodshed attached; there is stabling for 20 horses with barns, coach houses, spacious yard and other conveniences. No situation can be better adapted for the purpose of a respectabl Hotel, being central, and close to the Steamboat landing, and adjoining the public square.
            The business of the House had been gracually on the increase and will necessarily advance on the completion fo the contemplated railroad from St. Andrews to Quebec.
            Shouild this property not be sold by the last of April next, it will be to let for term of years.
            The terms of Sale will be moderate and liberal. For futher particuars apply to James W. Street Esq., or he Subscriber.
Samuel Copeland
St. Andrews, Feb 10, 1847
NB. Copelands Hotel being offered for Sale is therefore closed for the present but will be reopened for the accommodation of the public on the 1st day of Ma next when due notice will be given.


May 3, 1847
St. Andrews Hotel
William Ross
Thankful for the patronage he has received, would respectfully inform his friends and the public , that he has removed to the house lately occupied by B. R. Fitzgerald, which has undergone a thorough repair,a nd is now fitted up for the reception of travelers and others. The sitation is central being in the immediate vicinity of the Market Wharf. The manager pldges himself that no effort on his part shall be wanting to give satisfactio to all those who may favor this establishment with their patronage, hopes to merit a continuance of that patronage so liberally bestowed up him since his commencement.


June 16/1847
Mr. E Forest holding singing school at James Stevenson's Hotel.


June 30/1847
Stevenson’s Hotel
The subscriber gegs to intimagte to the public, that he has opened a hotel, strictly on abstinence principles, at the corner of William and Queen Street, St. Andrrews, where every attention wil be given to make those who may visit this establishment comfortable. The house has been fitted up for the accommodatio fo travelers and permanent boarders, and is situated in a pleasant part of the town only a short distance from the steam boat landing. Good stabling. James Stevenson, June 23, 1847.


July 28/1847
Saint Andrews Hotel
William Segee
Begs to inform his friends and the public, that he hs leased thed premises well known as the St. Andrews Hotel, lately in the possession of L. L. Copeland, which he has now fitted up in acomfortable style for the recdeption of travelers and visitors wishing to spend a short time in St. Andrews. The Saint Andrews hotel is pleasantly situated opposite the steamboat landing, and in the immediate vicinity of the Market Slip, and the subscriber flatters himself that his long experience in lbusiess will enable him to securesuch a share of public patronage as he is determined to endeavour to merit. Thesere is excellent stabling on the premises, anda first reae groom in constant attendance.
July 27, 1847


Aug 18/1847
Stevenson's Hotel. June/1847. Strictly on abstinence principles. Corner William and Queen. Only a short distance from the steamboat landing. (this apparently before the steamboat wharf at the Point)


June 14/1848
Ref. to Mr. Bradford's Temperance House. Bradford Hotel?


July 13/1853
Bldgs formerly occupied by James Ross as hotel, fronting on Water Street, for sale; later Madras or Jones property.


July 13/1853
Dentist in town for two days only. At Bradford's Hotel. June 22/1853


Aug 3/1853
Torrent Fire Company gives torchlight procession, with engine elaborately decorated by ladies of town, drawn by two white horses. Parade through streets. Collation at Bradford's Hotel. Dancing till dawn. Biggest event in 20 years. Nice description. See photocopy.


Sept 5/1860
Two Story house corner Water and Adolphus for sale. Lately McGee's Hotel.


Nov 12/1862
Charlotte County Hotel, Water Street, St. Andrews. Near steamboat landing, few rods from railway depot. "Large and commodious house, lately occupied by Angus Kennedy." Thomas McVay


Aug 24/1864
“Our young townsmen Hanson Brothers have erected and in operation a respectable Hotel, which we understand is patronized and well conducted. They are energetic, smart men, although their premises were destroyed by fire a few months ago, and their loss was heavy, they set to work at once, and built their present commodious house.”


July 28/1869
Exchange Hotel--In another column we publish Mr. Neill’s card. This Hotel is neatly furnished, the tables well supplied with the best articles which can be purchased, and attentive waiters are ever ready to attend to the wished of travellers. In addition to this the proprietor is attentive and obliging and spares neither expense nor trouble to make his patrons happy and pleased. (from SS)


Sept 14/1870
Passamaquoddy House--proximity to the public offices, Railway and steamboat landing, make it convenient for visitors. Stable on premises. E. McLeod.


July 15/1874
Robert Adams has taken premises known as Bradford’s Hotel under the name “Central Exchange.” Card in this issue. Ad for Central Exchange. NO address.


Nov 25, 1874
Destructive Fire. On Thursday afternoon about 2 pm fire was discovered in Hughes and Whitlock’s stable. The populace and fire Companies were early on the grounds; owing to the stable being attached to the surrounding buildings, and the hay and straw in the loft being on fire, the flames spread with fearful rapidity despite the noble efforts of the firemen and hose companies, aided by the people. The horses and wagons in the stable were got out, as well those in the opposite stable belonging to Mr. Adams of the Central Exchange. The shed and house owned by C. C. Bridges, with his hacks, the house occupied by T. Rooney and others, and the Exchange stable were consumed. Mr. Adams saved his horses, carriages and the rest but lost his sleights, stable furniture and two fine pigs. John Bailey’s small cottage took fire but was torn down to prevent the fire reaching the adjoining buildings on Water Street, W. Sharkey’s house, and Michael Faul’s two houses, all occupied by several families, a barn by Thomas Healy and Hartt and Co., store and remises on the Market Wharf, owned and occupied by Mr. Hicks was several time son fire, but by well directed efforts the building was saved; the large pile of lumber on Robinson and Glenn’s wharf was with great difficulty saved. Another pile of lumber owned by the same firm on the wharf below the old steamboat landing and a pile of railway ties owned by R. Ross were burnt. Several families on Water Street including Mr. Adams of the Exchange removed their furniture. The losses gathered from the most reliable sources are: [here list]


Dec 23/1874
Description of new livery stable at Central exchange. To replace one burned down. New engine house finished.


May 12/1875
Piece on hotel improvements. See photocopy.
Contract signed for Megantic section from Moosehead to Cdn. border. 50 miles of road from Sherbrooke to be opened this year. New contract will fill all but remaining 18 miles from Piscataquis to Moosehead Lake, as American section already provided for. New railroad will shorten distance from Montreal to Maritimes by 118 miles.
“Mr. Clark has removed to his house on Queen Street, in rear of his former Hotel, which was destroyed by fire last July.” Morrison’s has undergone improvements and additions. Details. Central Exchange owner Adams being fitted up. Passamaquoddy House, owner Mrs. McLeod, being prepared for summer. Mr. Kennedy has enlarged and increased his hotel accommodation.


Oct 6/1875
“Central Exchange” being fitted up and furnished by Mr. Neal, favourably known as hotel manager in St. Stephen. To open next week.


*Oct 13/1875
Megantic Hotel--Mr. Neil has opened the house recently occupied by r. Adams formerly called the “Central Exchange.” Card in this paper. See photocopy.


Aug 22, 1878
Jottings on the Street, No. 10
Our perambulatory jottings on Water Street bring us down to the large Wholesale and Retail Store of “Odell and Turner.” The old firm name remains, but our “Warden Odell” is the presiding genius of this excellent establishment.
            A stranger visiting SA, would not suppose that the town and adjoining parishes cold afford sufficient patronage to a store so large and so well stocked with such a costly line of goods—but, the Store is here, and commands an extensive trade. Customers outside of charlotte County find it advantageous to purchase their goods in SA; and more stores than Mr. Odell’s, if conducted as his is, would, also, probably find that St. Andrews affords a favourable location for trade.
            The “Passamaquoddy House”, kept by Mrs. McLeod, was formerly the property and residence of James Boyd, Esq., who was so widely known throughout town and country that it is quite unnecessary to write his biography.
            Mrs. McLeod keeps an orderly and good house, and is esteemed as a kind and


Aug 4/1881
Last week 71 guests at Argyll, 49 at Kennedy’s, 45 at American House.


St. Croix Courier
Aug 18/1881
A large party of ladies and gentlemen from Houlton are “roughing it” in Merritt’s building on Ross’s wharf. American House newly repainted.


June 1, 1883
The Shoe Factory. Long article on new business.
Destruction by fire of the American House. Hugh Waddell arrested on a charge of having fired the building. [cf. Armstrong’s review of how Waddell escaped and was recaptured]


Aug 2, 1883
Escape from the County Jail of Waddell, the American House incendiary and Three Others.
A great general jail delivery, without the interposition of Court or Jury, took place here on Saturday evening under the following circumstances. It will be remembered that Hugh Waddell, bar keeper of the late American House, in this town was arrested here on the morning of Saturday the 16th of June, charged on the information of William H. Whitlock, livery stable keeper of the SS, with having set fire to the American House, which with its contents was burned down on the morning of Friday 1the 15th of June, and that Waddell, on the 18th of June, after an investigation held before Justice C. E. O. Hatheway, was committed to take his trial at the County Court to be holden here in October next. Besides Waddell, there were four other persons confined in the jai;: Charles McCarty, James Stevens and Gilbert Lauchlan, hailing here from Saint John , NB, who were committed on the 10th inst.. from St. Stephen on a charge of drunkenness and vagrancy, the two former for sixty days and Lauchlan for thirty days, and James McCardy of SA, committed for safe keeping.
            Mrs. Murchie, Proprietress of the American House, has at intervals, since Waddell’s commitment, visited him at the jail. On Saturday evening hast about a quarter past eight o’clock, she applied at the jail for admission to see Waddell, saying she had heard he was sick. Mrs. Paul, daughter of Mr. Mark Hall, the jailor, who had gone down street on business, answered the call, and admitted her. While Mrs. Murchie was standing talking to Waddell, through the grating, Mrs. Paul ran upstairs to see why her child was crying. She almost immediately came down again, and while coming down the stairs, heard a noise, like what would be made by tapping the stick of an umbrella or cane on the flags. She quickened her pace, and just as she turned the foot of the stairs, into the hall, she met Mrs. Murchie going in the direction of the outer door. She was looking very pale, and said as she passed: They have opened the door, or the door is open. Mrs. Paul ran and laid hold of the solid iron door, which is used to cover the grated door, and is hung outside of it, and tried to close it and nearly succeeded in doing so but the prisoners inside pushed against it; forced it open again, stepped out into the hall, and passed through the outer door to liberty. They ran into the street and round the corner of the Court house. Mrs. Paul immediately went down town, and meeting Mr. Charles O’Neil, told him what had occurred, and requested him to find Mr. Hall.
            Upon examination it was discovered that by some means, probably the lever in the hand of Mrs. Murchie, the large padlock attached to the grated door had been wrench off, the link of the lock was broken, the hinge pin was forced out and the keeper end of the link broken off. The dropping of the lock on the floor was doubtless the noise heard by Mrs. Paul. If Mrs. Murchie was not a party to the escape, it seems a strange coincidence that she should be on hand at the moment that it took place, and why she should display so much sympathy for Waddell, who beyond the shadow of a doubt, set fire to her house, requires explanation. The plan of escape was well matured and effectively carried out, both as regard the method and time. The night was dark, the Telegraph office was closed, and no doubt Mr. Hall’s movements were carefully watched, and his temporary absence taken advantage of to carry out the scheme.
            On being informed of the escape Sheriff Stuart immediately placed officers in motion, and had a watch kept during the night, and at daybreak on Sunday morning started in pursuit of the fugitives. Their footprints were discovered in the mud on the road leading from Edward’s corner on the St. John road across to the above road, and up to Johnson’s cove about three and a half miles from town. Enquiry at Mr. Thomas Johnson’s elicited the fact, that his boat, when was at anchor in the cove Saturday evening had disappeared during the night. The boat has since been found at Red Beach, on the United States side of the river, and it has been ascertained that Waddell and his comrades landed from her, having paddled the boat over with a pair of paddles, which they found in a punt which laid near the boat in the cove.
            The escape of Waddell created a sensation in town; on Monday it was the general topic of conversation on the street. Public opinion demands that a strict investigation into the circumstances connected with the escape be made.
March 20/1890
The Scott Act.
Inspector O’Brien Opens fire on St. Andrews.
He Gains Two Easy Victories but is Repulsed by Pop in Two Other Battles
Among the guests who have been gathered around the board of the International Hotel, the past week or two, has been a tall man, with iron gray hair and side whiskers, keen, yet pleasant blue eyes, and shaggy eyebrows, whose age might safely be placed anywhere between fifty and sixty years. More than usual interest has been taken in this stranger’s advent, from the fact that he is none other than Mr. Edward O’Brien, the Scott Act Inspector for the County.
            Although the general public were not expecting a visit from Inspector O’Brien, there were some people who appeared to know of his coming, and who were closeted with him soon after his arrival. It was not long before rumors of contemplated prosecutions were on the wing, and it became an absolute impossibility to obtain anything stronger to quench their thirst than plain pop or ginger beer.


May 14/1903
Visit to SA
Dr. Haviland Find a Man with Elephants on Hand
Editor Beacon:--I received the copy of the Beacon you sent me and by its perusal I noted the kindly mention you made of me and my work. During my stay in your place I made many pleasant acquaintances. Upon landing at SA, the first person I became acquainted with was your enterprising merchant, Mr. Grimmer., whom I found to be one of the most active business men I ever met. He comes the nearest to hat one might call omnipresent, being here, there and everywhere at the same time, doing business at every turn. I was greatly amused while watching their methods to note the great diversity of calls for different things. One wished a collar button, another a carload of hay. During a few minutes’ conversation with a man in my presence he sold him a large bill of hay and other things. Some wished iron, others lumber, while another called for stove-wood. I wondered to myself if there was anything that he did not keep on hand, so thinking that I would test him I asked him if he had any elephants for sale, who which he quickly replied, “Yes, I have several on hand.”
            With all his business to look after he found time to drive me over to that beautiful island farm, known as “The Van Horne, Stock Farm.” Here I met the friendly Superintendent, who refused to kick the bucket for such a trivial thing as a bullet through his stomach. He showed us over the place. We found it to be one of the best-appointed I have ever seen. The belted cattle were truly fine, but the horses were what claimed my attention most. After examining them carefully I pronounced them as I do now the finest lot of colts of their class that I ever saw. The barn with its appointments was simply perfect and plainly showed that a master hand was at the helm and the expenditure of much money was plainly in evidence. After spending an hour or more in looking over the other stock, which was all first class, we bade goodbye to the Supt, and returned to SA, well pleased with the afternoon’s visit.
            The next day I did considerable veterinary work, having made my business headquarters at the office of DeWolfe and Denley. Mr. Denley extended to me ever courtesy and introduced me to several of your townsmen. It would be hard to find two better-equipped and better conduced liveries in any town twice the size of St. Andrews.
             Mr. Denley kindly drove me to the “Came Stock Farm,” were I found a nice, healthy lot of coes, showing every appearance of being well cared for. I was much pleased with the gamy hackney stallion, as I judge him his conformation that he must be a great actor in the harness. I should have been glad to have seen him driven but instead turned my attention to an inspection of their sheep. I will truly say that they were the finest lot of sheep I ever saw in either England or America. It surely takes a Scotchman to breed and develop sheep.
            I put up at the American House, an unpretentious hostelry and only recently occupied by its present proprietor, who was very busy in putting it in shape. He is sure to meet with success as the landlady knows how to cater to the most fastidious appetite. I certainly ate the best clam chowder there of her making that I ever tasted and I am anxiously waiting for the time to come when I shall make my next visit to enjoy another chowder.
--M. W. Haviland, V. S. Calais, May 6, 1903
St. Croix Courier
March 18/1948
Shiretown Items: Lobster Factory
Sure enough, as I had hoped, Owen Rigby remembered when lobsters were packed here and says that the plant was situated about where Fraser Keay’s warehouse now stands. It was near the head of Clinch’s wharf, long since disappeared. An extension of the railroad ran up along the shore-line as far as this wharf, and although the rails had been taken up,, many of the buttresses were still standing in 1889. I got some further information from Herb Greenlaw on this subject. He says that the lobster plant at the head of Clinch’s wharf was run by George Young, a Saint John man who boarded with William Little in a house, no longer there, situated next to that in which Mr. Atkinson now lives. I can remember the house well and also Mr. Little who was a railway engineer in the wood burning days. I have his copy of “Rules of Railroading.” Mr. Greenlaw says that W. D. Hartt also packed lobsters in the factory, originally built to pack sardines, and located on what was then called the “Long Wharf.” River steamboats landed at this wharf in those days. Many now living can remember this old factory. It was burned one day about noon, a bright sunny day, around 65 years ago [1883]. The wharf was then bought by Gardner and Doon who put up buildings and handled fresh fish there for many years. The last remains of it went out to sea in a bad storm just a few years ago. W. D. Hartt also packed clams in the old building. The factory at the head of Clinch’s wharf was destroyed by fire about 1880 along with Whitlock’s livery stable situated back of the “American House” now the St. Andrews bakery. Wm. Little was the father of Mrs. Wm. Burton, matron of Chipman hospital for many years and who was buried here last week.