An excerpt from Robert Armstrong's "History of Journalism in St. Andrews," 1910:
THE BAY PILOT
The Bay Pilot first saw the light of the day on the island of Grand Manan; the late John G. Lorimer was its publisher. This was in the year 1876. It was a bright little sheet containing considerable local news. But Grand Mana proved too msall for the venture and the paper and press were removed to St. Andrews, the plant being set up in a store on Water Street, adjoining the Bradford Hotel. On the 30th day of May, 1879, a company composed of John S. Magee, John Wren, Robert Robinson, W. D. Hartt and Robert Glenn, became proprietors of the paper. Mr. Magee was appointed editor and Mr. Wren manager. These are the only two of the company who are still living. The new proprietors removed the plant to the office on King Street, on the site occupied by the Andraeleo Hall, and owned by the late Harris Hatch. The paper was subsequently taken over by Mr. Magee, who bought out the owners. George Mitchell, now of the Woodstock Dispath, and the late Frank Howe were successively formen of the Bay Pilot. Bothe Mr. Lorimer and Mr Magee possessed considerable ability as editors. After severing his connection with the paper mr. Lorimer was appointed a messenger in the House of Commons at Ottawa. He coreesponded with a number of newspapers while there. He also compiled a bried history of the island which is frequently quoted. Mr. Magee sold hout his plant in 1889, and on the 21st day of March that year ceased publsication. In his “valedictory” Editor Magee concluded a very flattering reference to his successor by remarking: “The editor of the Bay Pilot, having steered his craft safely though the storms that sometimes beset here, until The Beacon is within measurable distance, cheerfully resigns his charge, with best wishes for the prosperity of the new craft.” Mr. Magee is now spending the evening of his life, with his son in Boston. He is in good health and takes an active interst in all that ig going on in this town.
Between its inception on May 9, 1878 and its last issue on March 21, 1889, The Bay Pilot saw a number of important changes in the Town of St. Andrews, principally those connected with the new business of tourism. These were chiefly the completion of the Argyll Hotel, projected many years before but not finished until 1881; the completion in 1888 of the Canadian Pacific's Short Line across Maine to McAdam, New Brunswick, a conduit which was to prove essential in the Montreal summer traffic that took over from New England business in the last early decades of the 20th century; the arrival of the St. Andrews Land Company, a consortium of American businessmen determined to make St. Andrews a watering place second to none on the East Coast, the erection of three summer hotels on Campobello Island, and the visit of Sir John A. MacDonald in 1887, promising not what the Town most wanted--railway business over the Short Line--but visitors from the Canadas during the summer term.