Old St. Andrews



The Fight for Light



The Fight for Light in St. Andrews


June 22/1853
Gas. With his usual enterprise and spirit, John Wilson, Esq., has introduced gas into his mansion at Chamcook. We understand that the entire cost of the gas at Chamcook, including fitting up stove, retort, condenser, refiner, gasometer, pipers, and 14 burners, the cost of the coal, fuel, etc., used in making the gas, is about 1s. 6d. per week; less than 2 ½ d. per night while candles would cost on an average 1s. 3d. per night, besides the heat arising from gas light warms the rooms, while coat tar and coke are produced in its manufacture.


Feb 15/1854
SA Gas and Light Co. passes last session of Legislature.


Dec 17/1856
Chatham has gas lighting: St. Andrews should not fall behind in town improvement. St. Andrews Gas Co formed in May 1854 with capital of 5,000 pounds but nothing has been done since.


Jan 4, 1860
Coal Oils. An examination of the light giving qualities and coast of various burning fluids has been made by a celebrated chemist. Champhene, sperm, lard, parafine, and kerosene oils. The two latter give a better light than any of the others, and the kerosene upon a fair trial burnt longer and gave a purer light than the parafine, and is cheaper.


March 2/1864
A bill to authorize the erection of gas lamps and light posts in St. Stephen.


Nov 1/1865
Coal Fluid. This new and brilliant light has been introduced into use here by Capt. Balson, who has the fluid and lamps for sale. The fluid is of two kinds, explosive like kerosene, and non-explosive, and is without exception the cheapest light in use; for the explosive fluid, brass safety lamps are provided, and no danger need be apprehended, as by pouring of the fluid after the wick is saturated, a brilliant light which will burn for six or seven hours, is obtained at a trifling coast of not more than half a cent. The non-explosive fluid is burned in glass lamps, and burners to suit kerosene lamps can be had from Capt. Balson. The coal fluid is not only cheap and economical, but brilliant, and does not require chimneys. At the same store is a great variety of Albertine lamps and oil, which is superseding kerosene.


May 8/1867
The Market Wharf is now lighted at night by three new lamps, of modern pattern, in which Albertine oil is used, which gives a clear, bright light, illuminating the whole square and wharf. The lower lamp on the western and southern sides has red stained glass, and serves as a guide to vessels approaching the harbour.”


June 16/1868
175 ton schooner “More Light” launched from Calais.


Jan 9/1879
A Hundred Years Ago
One hundred years ago not a pound of coal, not a cubic foot of illuminating gas, had been burned in the United Stats. No iron stoves were used, and no contrivances for economizing heat were employed until Dr. Franklin invented the iron-frame fireplace which still bears his name. All the cooking in town and country was done by the aid of fire kindling in the brick oven on the hearth. Pine knots or tallow candles furnished the light of the long winter nights, and sanded floors supplied the place of rugs and carpets. The water used for household purposes was drawn from deep wells by the creaking “sweep.” No form of pump was used in this county, so far as we can learn, until late in the commencement of the present century. There were no friction matches in those early days, by the aid of which a fire could be easily kindled; and if the fire “went out” upon the hearth over night, and the tinder was damp, so that he sparks would not catch, the alternative remained of wading through the snow a mile or so to borrow a brand of a neighbour. Only one room in any house was warm, unless some of the family were ill; in all the rest the temperature was a zero many nights in the winter. The men and women of a hundred years ago undressed and went to their beds in a temperature colder than that of our modern barns and wood sheds and never complained.


July 15/1886
Let There Be Light
On the afternoon of Thursday the 8th inst., a number of the lades of St. Andrews, in response to invitation given by Lady Tilley, met her in Stevenson’s hall, to discuss the steps necessary to be taken to secure the lighting of the town. Lady Tilley informed the ladies, that the ladies of Carleton, St. John, had in the kindest and most generous manner, offered to present the ladies of St. Andrews with 20 lamps and posts, to be used in lighting the town, and it was now for the ladies to say if they would accept them, and what steps they should take to secure their being placed on the streets and kept lighted. After discussing the matter, the ladies decided to accept the generous gift, and appointed a committee of ladies, to solicit subscription to defray the expense of erecting the lamps and the lighting thereof. The committee appointed were Mrs. Dr. Parker,, Mrs. W. D. Foster, Miss Osburn, Miss Magee and Miss Odell. The number to be added to at the discretion. We commend these ladies and their work to the people of St. Andrews. We hope that they will meet with a cordial reception and generous contribution from every one in town. All should be glad to encourage a movement so praiseworthy, and one that will mark an era in the march of improvement in the town, which cannot be more fittingly begun than by the introduction of light.


Lady Tilley informs town that ladies of Carleton, St. John will present town with 20 lamps and posts. Editor sees this as marking era in march of improvement in town.


July 29/1886
Posts for town lamps being set up. Probably will be lighted Aug. 1.


Aug 26/1886
Street lamps lighted, and Lady Tilley serenaded by St. Andrews Brass Band outside her home.


Sept 9, 1886
The citizens of St. Andrews are very much indebted to Lady Tilley for her persistent and successful effort in securing the erection of lamps on the streets of the town, and the lighting thereof. The lighting of the streets must be and we have no doubt is most gratifying to the progressive resident of the town, which we trust accelerates an era of improvement in other respects that will place our town in line with other towns in the dominion. In order to secure the costs in lighting of the lamps Lady Tilley proposes to ask the cooperation of the ladies of St. Andrews, in getting up a bazaar, to be held in July or August of next year, the funds raised thereat to be appropriated to what may be called the St. Andrews Street Light Fund. We feel certain that the ladies of St. Andrews will do their part. Thanks are due to the ladies of Carleton for the lamps so generously presented to the town. We heard an enthusiastic son of Erin express the hope, that if Lady Tilley did not receive her reward in this world, that every hair of her head might turn into mould candles to light her to glory. [the cost of the lamps was about $140.


Nov 18, 1886
Let There Be Light
All those who do not believe in putting the candle under the bushel will set forth their faith like a beacon on a hill by attending thanksgiving Tea Meeting, to be held in Stevenson’s Hall, this evening, the preparation for which by the ladies having it in charge, has been carried out on a extensive scale. In addition to the attraction of a rich repast, music sweet will be furnished by the St. Andrews Brass Band, and it is further expected that His Honor Sir Leonard Tilley, K.C.B., Lieutenant-Governor of the province will be present. Give the ladies a bumper house for they deserve. It. They are light and sunshine to very many hearts, and without them the town would be dark indeed. Like the wise virgins of olden time they are determined to get oil for the lamps, and who remembering what befell the foolish virgins, will refuse aid to the St. Andrews ladies to escape such a sad fate.


Nov 25, 1886
There Shall be Light
Notwithstanding that on Thursday lat, the window of Heaven were opened, the rain poured down in torrents, and that the wind raged furiously, the ladies who had to charge the carriage of the Thanksgiving Tea Meeting, proceeded with their preparations, with as much vigor and faith in the result as if the son was shining upon them. On entering Stevenson Hall at six o’clock pm tone found the table spread with as dainty an array of eatables as ever tempted an epicure. The tables were most artistically adorned. Despite the storm raging so fiercely, a respectable number of persons were present, who in response to the invitation of the ladies took their seats at the tables and set to work to enjoy the good things set before them. Meanwhile music was furnished by the St. Andrews Brass Band. A gentleman said it gave him all he could do to keep time with his teeth to the music, and if slower time was not observed, his digestion would not be impaired.
            After tea the company passed a pleasant hour in singing in concert a number of popular melodies.
            The ladies finding so much provisions on hand, decided to repeat the tea meeting the next evening. On Friday the weather proving more favorable, a larger attendance rewarded the ladies for their effort in such a good cause, as that of the perpetuation of light.
            At the conclusion of the tea meeting a number of the young folks remained and passed a pleasant hour in tripping the light fantastic in the merry mazes of the dance.
            The financial result of the tea meeting was satisfactory, the net receipts amounted to $75.79, which has been deposited in the Bank of Nova Scotia, as a lamp fund. It is estimated that this will cover the expense of lighting the lamps for five months.


It is only occasionally that the people of St. Andrews enjoy the visit of a first class concert but we are glad to say that such an opportunity will be offered tonight, when the celebrated Bairnsfather Family will occupy Stevenson’s Hall. This family is the only one now living, which devoted itself entirely to Scottish melodies and Scottish humor, and wherever they have appeared, the leading papers have accorded them the highest praise. We feel justified in making the above statements, after looking over our fyles of exchanges, in all of which the highest commendation is given to this talented family. We have also had private correspondence from personal friends, who have heard this celebrated family who say the concerts were the best they ever heard. We advise everybody to go and hear them this Thursday evening at Stevenson’s Hall.


Jan 6, 1887
Some morons have broken a number of the street lamps so laboriously procured by Lady Tilley and with such considerable expense maintained by the local ladies of the town. [my note]


March 15/1888
Editorial titled “The Boom”:
“Mr. George Mowatt, in addition of selling the American Syndicate twenty five acres, as previously reported in our columns, has given them the option on terms agreed upon, of the balance of the estate in which is included that lovely spot, Mowatt’s Grove, reserving, however, the homestead and a few acres contiguous thereto.
Mr. Charles Eaton, Of Milltown, NB., purchased last week from Charles Gove, Esq., collector of customs, two town lots on the hill in the block north east of the old R. C. Church. Mr. Eaton also bargained with the committee of St. Andrews R. C. Church, for the purchase of the parochial residence and three vacant lots adjoining.
Mr. Andrew Lamb has purchased a lot on Victoria Terrace from Robert Glenn.
The Chamcook Water Company will probably lay the water pipes alongside either the highway or the railroad track, whichever route is found most practicable, and will establish a pumping station for the purpose of forcing the water over the highest building in any part of the town. The placing of apparatus therein for the purpose of supplying the town with the electric light, is also one of the probabilities of the near future.


April 12/1888
Gardiner’s speech in Stevenson Hall. B. R. Stevenson the Company’s Counsel. See photocopy and below.
            “In compliance with public notice given by R. S. Gardiner, Esq., chairman of the American syndicate operating in lands in St. Andrews and vicinity, the citizens of St. Andrews assembled in Stevenson hall on Thursday evening last, for the purpose of hearing a statement of the aims and objects of the syndicate. The door of the hall was opened at 7:30 o’clock, in a few minutes thereafter every seat was occupied as well as the standing room in the gangways. At eight o’clock the proceedings were commenced by the election of Geo f. Stickney, Esq., chairman, and F. Howard Grimmer, sec’y. Mr. Gardiner then took the floor and was listened to with the closest attention. He said amongst other things, I feel I hardly need an introduction to a St. Andrews audience. Nine years ago I heard of your town as a restful place, came here with my family every summer since. I am familiar with your wharves, your fish, know where the largest and most fish are to be caught, particularly when one fails to catch them I propose to outline the plans and purposes of the association of Americans who propose to do something for your town, amongst whom are Daniel A. Claflin, Mr. Cram, Mr. Lord, Mr. Fay and others. They all thought St. Andrews was an extremely pleasant place. Mr. Cram had but very little passenger traffic over the railway to SA, road was in bad condition, he was afraid to go to his directors and ask them to expend money upon it unless he could show them reasonable prospect of increased traffic. People of your town did not know our objects. Mr. Whitlock, Mr. Geo. Mowatt, Dr. Parker and others said, if your object is to benefit the town and not a land speculation, we are willing to help you. Sir Leonard Tilley have us free and full advice, as also did Mr. J. Emery Hoar. There is not one copper invested in this undertaking based upon the selection of St. Andrews as a railway terminus. I don’t know if such a thing is projected. We are not by any means philanthropic in our notions, we hope to make some money out of our venture. No man, woman or child at present residing in St. Andrews has any pecuniary interest in the association unless it may be Judge Stevenson as our counsel. There is no probability or possibility of Mr. Osburn making anything out of it, he has done all he could to assist us without the hope of a reward. Having obtained lands we propose to erect thereon, cottages of modern American style, and supply them with water and light.
            The taxpayers of the town insisted in placing in the Act incorporating “The Chamcook Water Company,” a clause binding us to commence the work within three years, and complete it in five years. Now we hope to have the water from Chamcook Lake into St. Andrews by September of this year (Applause). Now as to the question of lighting, we hope to run in connection with the water works, the electric light. (Applause)


St. Croix Courier
May 17/1888
The St. Stephen Electric Light Company have taken the initiatory steps to introduce the light in St. Stephen and Calais. Supports for the wires have been placed on the toll bridge and the poles are already on hand. it is thought the system will be in operation early in September.
            Henry Osburn and family intend going to England in July to remain, perhaps, permanently, though the land company will secure Mr. Osburn’s services as manager.
            Angus Kennedy purposes making an extension to his already large, commodious and popular hotel.


July 5/1888
Eastport lighted by electric light July 4.


St. Croix Courier
July 12/1888
Poles for the electric lights are soon to be put in place by the gas company. The general impression has bee, until very recently that the St. Croix Cotton mill would be the first to give the city electric light, but the gas company have pushed matters more rapidly and will be the first to occupy the field. The inactivity of the cotton mill is suggestive of the conclusion already arrived at by many that the latter corporation will not erect poles this season. This gibes the gas company the monopoly on both systems of light, gas and electricity. How reasonable they will be in their charges is a matter yet to be ascertained. Neither as individuals or as a city can this community afford to pay a fancy price for light.


Aug 23/1888
(Note:--the village lamps would be lighted every evening but for the expense)


St. Croix Courier
Sept 13/1888
The electric light has been in use in St. Stephen and Calais during the evenings of the past week, with most satisfactory results. The St. Stephen Electric Light Company was incorporated last winter by act of legislature. The provisional directors are C. H. Clarke, Frank Todd and G. W. Ganong, F. N Davis is agent, and A. Relish superintendent of works. The company is at present supplying forty-three lights of 200 candlepower in Calais and St. Stephen. Their station, situated at Union Mills, contains a sixty-five light Brush Dynamo run by water power. They have two water wheels ready for use, but at present are using less than half the power of one wheel. They are not yet prepared to furnish power for electric motors, but have the matter under consideration. The street lamps have been placed by the company at is own expense, and the light is for the present given free of charge in the expectation that both town will adopt it instead of gas.


May 9/1889
First Algonquin ad, first issue.
This new and magnificent summer resort Hotel will be open for the season of 1889, July 1st.
Electric bells, Passenger Elevator, Lighted by Gas, Telegraph Office, Steam Laundry,
Everything new and first-class


May 23/1889
SA Electric Light Co. incorporated at last session of Legislature but now in a "quiescent" state. "At the present time, the sun by day, the moon by night, and the Beacon at weekly intervals, are the only illuminators that St. Andrews possesses."


July 15/1890
The gas company intends having its own system of electric lighting in place by the fall.


Nov 27/1890
The Street Lamp Fund
To the Editor of the Beacon,
Sir,--Some two years ago, Lady Tilley generously presented the town with street lamps and posts, on condition that the inhabitants would supply gasoline and have them lighted, which for a time was done. The supply of fluid gave out, and a second subscription was taken up to purchase a further supply, but none was purchased. Can you inform others and myself who subscribed, what became of the money? Resident. This is a subject that the Beacon can shed no light on—Ed.


July 5/1894
sThe following pen and ink description of St. Andrews is taken from a recent number of the Seaside Witness, a manuscript newspaper, edited by C. W. Manzer, and issued under the auspices of St. Andrews Division, Sons of Temperance:
What St. Andrews is not: St. Andrews is not a village. Why? it is too large. It is not a modern town. Why?  It has no electric lights, no water works, no policemen, no street cars, no telephones. it is not like Boston. Why? You cannot get lost on the streets so easily. It is not like New York. Why? the streets are not so crowded, and its elevated railways are not so well patronized. It is not like Chicago. why? It has not so many 15 storey buildings. It is not like Liverpool. why? It has not as many miles of docks. It is not like Woodstock, NB. why? It has a better harbor. It is not like Houlton. Why? the mud on the street is snot so deep.
            What St. Andrews is. Rather a desirable place in which to live. Why? It has a most healthful climate, free from the thick fogs of Saint John and Halifax, free from the extremes of heat a d cold of the inland towns, beautiful scenery, cheap rents and plenty of elbow room. It has a splendid geographical situation on Passamaquoddy Bay in close proximity to the towns of Chamcook, Bartlett’s, Waweig, Latete, St. George., etc. It has a splendid harbor, and in it could be seen crafts varying in size from the smallest row-boat to the largest ocean steamer (should any of the latter ever happen to arrive). Steamer arrive and depart (in the summer time) connecting with Bangor, Portland, Boston, New York and Campobello. CPR trains arrive and depart daily (in the summer time) semi-daily, making close connections with Montreal, Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago and Dumbarton. St. Andrews support two enterprising papers, the Beacon and the Seaside witness.


March 30/1899
The managers of the Algonquin Hotel . . . expect that the season of 1899 will witness a bigger tide of tourist travel to the Maritime Provinces, than ever before. Already, Messrs. Harvey and Wood have booked a number of engagements for the coming season, among them being many persons who wintered at the Piney Woods Hotel (Georgia) The Algonquin Hotel will be in splendid shape for the rush of guests. Among the improvements that the company intend carrying out is the introduction of a new lighting apparatus, which, if the promises are realized, will make the hotel a perfect blaze of brilliancy in the evening.


May 18/1899
Among the improvements contemplated this season is a gasoline plant, by which the lighting of the hotel will be greatly improved. Manager Harvey looking for best season yet.


July 6/1899
"A distinguishing feature of the hotel arrangements this year is the lighting system. A 'mixer' has been added to the gasoline plant, by means of which the light has been greatly improved."


June 27/1901
Ad for the Owen. “Finest aquatic resort on coast. No hay fever. Golf links. Good boating, Editorial: With the development of St. Andrews as a summer resort must come increased responsibilities upon the community—responsibilities that we cannot escape from if we would maintain a reputation for progressiveness. If we permit people to come here and build luxurious homes for themselves, and thus enrich and beautify the town, and help us to pay our taxes, the responsibility is thrust upon us to afford them as full a measure of protection as our circumstance swill permit of and also to assist them in the upbuilding of the place. Are we doing this? The time would seem opportune at the opening of a season which promises so well to discuss this question. It is now over a dozen years since St. Andrews launched itself before the world as a summer resort, yet as a community we have done little or nothing to attract tourists or to encourage wealthy citizens of the outside world to establish summer homes here.
            We are without a water system; our streets are without lights; police protection is an unknown quantity; our beaches, which might be made places of attraction, are allowed to be littered up with garbage; no new drives have been opened up; no means of amusement or recreation have been provided which did not exist prior to the birth of the town as a summer resort. The streets and roads which the tourists drive and wheel over were bequeathed to us by those who have preceded us; outside of keeping them in a fair state of repair we have done practically nothing to encourage the growth of the place. While fully recognizing our limitations, we think it due to ourselves as well as to the stranger within our gates that we should gibe some stronger manifestation than we have done of the possession of a spirit of progressiveness. Perhaps we cannot afford just now to indulge in a water system, yet if the community is to grow, either along the lines of summer resort or as a commercial centre, a proper water supply is an absolute necessity. Indeed, with the introduction of modern bath-rooms the importance of a water system with which to flush our sewers is becoming daily more apparent. Leaving the water question out of the consideration for the present, it seems to us that we might provide the town with a cheap lighting system. Or we might employ a small patrol of police during the summer season, so that he stranger might be assured of protection, should he need it. Happily we have few complaints of disorder, but the community is not without its mischievous members and at time we are visited by outside roughs, so that a policeman or two has become a necessity. Again, we might keep the beaches in better shape than we do the pleasure drives around and through the park might be improved; the propriety of opening up new drive-ways might be considered; we might trim the grass along the streets; provide seats here and there for weary promenaders plant shade trees along streets now devoid of trees, and in other directions, not necessary to specially describe, we might manifest a spirit of progressiveness. The carrying out of these suggestions or any of them would be as much to the advantage of the permanent resident as of the summer sojourner. We boast of the beauties of our town, of its attractions for the summer tourist, yet these beauties and attractions have not been of our creating. We can take no special credit to ourselves for the charming surrounding of the town or of its healthful location. but we might take credit if following the splendid example of the men who preceded us, we sought earnestly and unitedly to forward its interests, being an unincorporated community, we are not as well placed as we might be to initiate and carry out reforms and improvements, yet under our municipal system they are not impossible of being exploited, if we so desire it.


Aug 22/1901
SA People will have to bestir themselves if the community it sot make progress. We want a water and sewerage system and a street lighting plant and we want them very badly. They will not come for the wishing either. Nor will the government supply them. The townspeople themselves have got to provide them or persuade someone else to do sol.


Sept 18/1902
A number of public spirited citizens in Fredericton have formed themselves into a local improvement association for the purpose of beautifying the city and making it more attractive for the summer visitors. What Fredericton has done St. Andrews should make an effort to do. With scarcely the expenditure of a dollar by the people of the town, St. Andrews has leaped into first rank as a summer resort. What have the residents of the place done to make the place attractive for strangers? What has been done by the inhabitants of the town to further it as a summer resort? Little or nothing. Visitors from abroad pour in here in the summer season they help to swell the receipts of our churches; they help to enrich our hotelkeepers, boarding houses, livery stable men, grocers, butchers, druggists, dry goods men. What do we give them in return? Of course, they get full value for their money in the goods that they buy. But do they get anything else? They get no street lights; no police protection; no water system; the beaches they would fain use are often littered up with rubbish or made foul by decaying fish; no conveniences are provided for them in landing with the boats at the wharves; no effort is put forth to make the street attractive for them; no means of amusement or entertainment are provided. Surely we can do something, be it ever so small, to show that we appreciate the summer visitor. At present we are enjoying the favor of the CPR. They can do much for the place if the people of the town manifest a spirit of earnestness and show that they are really willing to help themselves. And the time to show this sprit is now. In a few years the men who are at the head of the CPR affairs will have passed from the scene and new men will be taking their places, who may care little for St. Andrews. We should take advantage of our present opportunities, lest by neglecting them we lose them altogether.


Sept 18/1902
Old Tipperary and New Tipperary
Old Fort Tipperary, around which so many fond and stirring memories cluster, is gone and a new and more imposing Tipperary has sprung up in its stead. the new Tipperary is to be the summer home of Sir Thomas Shaughnessy, president of the Canadian Pacific Railway Company. Four months ago the ground within the old ramparts was broken for the new building. Now it is completed in every detail. By degrees, as the new work expanded, it became necessary to remove the old buildings which stood upon the site. first, the barrack building proper, with its immense pine timbers, port-holed for resisting invaders, was razed. then the officers’ quarters were swept out of existence; afterwards the guard-house and sergeant-cottage. The last of the old buildings—which has been used as an ice-house by the Algonquin hotel—was torn down on Saturday.
            In the architectural design of the new building medievalism and modernism have booth been drawn upon, but the first consideration has been comfort. As one visitor expressed it, “it is a common sense house.” Its broad, covered verandahs, encircling almost the entire building, suggest comfort at first glance. this suggestion becomes a fixed reality when the interior arrangements are examined.
            the visitor enters upon the verandah from beneath an ample porte-cochere on the western side. three or four steps, 17 feet in length, lead to the verandah. Entering the oaken doorway, one finds himself in a large living room, the entire size of the front of the house, its width being 18 feet. At the upper end of this room is a large stone fireplace, with high-backed seats built into the wall on either side. This is the ingle-nook and a comfortable nook it ought to prove. Next the living room on the lower side of the central hallway is the library, with circular seats at the windows. On the south-east corner is the guest chamber, a comfortable room, with a doorway opening on to the verandah. Attached to this room is a well arranged bathroom, with mirrored door. A large clothes press is also in connection. In the rear of the house, with doors opening on to the verandah, it’s the dining room, a magnificent apartment, with side board at one end. the verandah at this point is semi-circular in form, extending out 20 feet, so that it may be used for dining purposes or evening parties during warm weather. Being in the rear, the fullest privacy is ensured. Alongside the diningroom, with an air space between, is the kitchen, fitted up with a large prowse range, and supplied with shelves and cupboard, and other necessaries. the pantry adjoins this. It is also furnished with shelves and closets. On this floor, beneath the stairway, there is a cloakroom and nearby is a conveniently arranged lavatory. The floors on the first flat are all polished hardwood. The walls are plaster, in white, and the sideboards and closets are also painted in white.
            an easy stairway, with birchen balustrade leads to the second floor, which contains the sleeping apartments. there are seven bedrooms, all with beautiful outlooks, for the family, and four comfortable sleeping rooms for the servants. there are three bathrooms on this floor, one of which will be used by the servants. the mirrored doors of these rooms are a distinctive feature of the house appointments. the basement contains laundry appliances, refrigerator store-house, fuel room and water closet. it can be entered from the first floor or from the outside.
            The servants’ entrance is on the northern side of the house. there is also a soft water tank on the same side. the outer walls of the building, also the pillars of the verandah, are shingled in rough shingles. At the upper end of the verandah the shingles used are the old ones taken from the fort buildings.  they are supposed to be 80 or more years old, yet they are in a splendid state of preservation. they are 22 inches long. One peculiarity about them is that where the chalk line struck them a ridge had been produced, showing that whatever was used for marking (some suggest that burnt alder was employed) it had served as a complete preservative against the weather. the exterior of the house I painted in green on the first floor and a dark shade of yellow above.
            the house will be lighted by acetylene gas, the generator occupying a small building apart from the main house. the grounds have been so arranged as to preserve the formation of the old ramparts. In the front of the house with nozzle pointed towards Uncle Sam’s territory, one of the old fort guns has been placed. A tennis court is being laid out on the southern side.
March 26/1903
The question of town incorporation has been forcing itself to the front in St. Andrews for some time. The present system of municipal government by means of the county council meeting once in annual session is altogether too slow for a community that haw any pretensions. If we hope to make any progress as a community, or it we are at all eager to assist the CPR in its plans to advance the interest of the place, we must put ourselves in a position to do business and do it promptly. There may not at the present moment be any commercial movement in sight to justify the acceptance of incorporation, but it is not the part of business prudence to wait for such movement. They must be anticipated, so that when they do come people will be in a position to grapple with them intelligently and expeditiously.  The medieval system of government that has prevailed in St. Andrews since it was ca community must give place to something more modern, if we would be regarded as in the race of progress. We are fond of boasting of our town, but outside of what our forefathers and Nature have done for us, what have we to boast about? We are utter stranger to the ordinary comforts of modern existence. We have no lights, no water system, no police, our sewerage system, if it can be called a system, is very inadequate. So also is our fire system. Our forefathers bequeathed us a splendid street system. They likewise bequeathed us some excellent wharves. What have we done to improve the talent that have been left in tour care? The wharves that were left to us as a legacy have been allowed to fall into disrepair; some of them have disappeared altogether. Had it not been for governmental assistance from time to time there would not now be a public wharf at the port. Our streets are in a fair state of preservation, yet they are not what they should be. This is the condition that prevails. And surely it is a condition that w should seek by all legitimate means to get away from. Incorporation seems to furnish us with the only means by which we can improve our situation. It does not follow that incorporation will add to the expense of the own, though public improvements, if they are entered into, will cost money; incorporation will enable the people of the town to do their own business. If they see an opportunity for expansion they can take advantage of it. Composed as it would be of men interested in the welfare of the place, the town corporation could be trusted not to don anything hastily or rashly, or anything that would involve expenditure beyond that means of the town to pay. Their meetings would be open to the public, and hey would be in close ouch with public sentiment at all times. They could not move along an inch beyond what public sentiment would support them in; so that the body of increased taxation is one that need not be feared very much. Beside, sunder our present system there are financial leaks that might be stopped if we were incorporated.


July 2/1903
The New Algonquin
First Opening Under the Auspices of the CPR
The Algonquin hotel, brighter and more beautiful than ever, has opened its door for another season. From basement to roof the house has been thoroughly renovated and improved. Painters, mason and carpenters, with brush and hammer and trowel, have done their part in the general scheme of improvement. The plumber, too, in the addition of sixteen bath rooms has played no unimportant part. It needed but the deft fingers of woman to put the finishing touches—the touch artistic—to the whole scheme. This fell to the lot of the energetic housekeeper, Mrs. Banks, and her assistants, and they have left nothing undone in their departments. The rooms are neat and clean—clean wall, new line, new carpets and matting—everything bright and fresh. The parlors are artistically arranged. The grand dining rooms, elegant before, has been vastly improved by the addition of lace curtains to all the windows. The walls and ceiling have also passed through the hands of the painter. Snowy line, new silver and new dishes cover the tables, making everything attractive to the eye. In the culinary department changes of the better have also been made. The new palm room and news room are interesting features of the renewed hotel. So also is the new acetylene gas system by the hotel is lighted.


Sept 8/1904
Town Council spends some time “discussing the matters of sewers and electric lights.”


Jan 19/1905
No Light Wanted
SA Citizens Vote Against Lighting the Town with Electricity


Jan 26/1905
Editor agrees with the opponents of electrical lighting that the water system is more important. “In many places of greater pretensions than St. Andrews the artesian system is being used with much success. The experience of these places might be enquired into. We are satisfied that an abundant flow from such a source could be obtained in St. Andrews and at a much less cost than if the supply was obtained from Chamcook Lake. The chief objection would be the hardness of the water.”


A “Light Club” in process of formation in town. Digby has electric lights. Wants to improve service even.


Feb 2/1905
Seekers after Light—We, the undersigned, being residents, or non-resident rate-payers, of the town of SA, agree to form a club to called (provisional) The St. Andrews Light Club, the object of which shall be to promote the establishing in the Town of an electric or other modern system of lighting for public and private use. (List of members follows)


Feb 16/1905
Meeting re electric lighting. Resolution to open communication with one of the electric light companies, send an engineer to look over the place.


April 6/1905
Montague, P. E. I., population 750, now lighted by electric lights “of the incandescent pattern,” installed by a Toronto Company at a cost of $4,000. $550 per year upkeep.


June 8/1905
(few months back, outside businessmen interested in creating Light Company estimate 13,000 for lights, etc. and 20,000 for plant. Beyond means of town to finance. )


May 4/1905
The electric light expert who visited St. Andrews has sent an estimate of the cost of steam and water electric plants, including buildings, engine, etc. His figures are over $13,000 in both cases. To provide for such a plant would require close upon $20,000, which is beyond the town’s resources at present.


May 11/1905
The Frontier Line S. S. Company do not propose waiting of the St. Andrews electric lights. They will install a light of their own at their wharf, connecting with the steamer’s dynamo whenever she is here.


April 26/1906
Report of Electric Light Committee
Two photocopies: technical details concerning options and cost of electric lights for town


June 15/1905
Algonquin Hotel to Open Under C. P. R. Management
The Canadian Pacific Railway does nothing by halves. It has established a trans-continental railway in Canada that has no parallel; it has inaugurated a steamship system on the Atlantic and the Pacific that has few, if any, equals; it has provided a system of hotels that will compare favorably with the best modern hotels anywhere.
            This year, for the first time, the Algonquin hotel of SA will come under the direct control of the C. P. R., and as success has attended the efforts of the railway company in every other venture they have undertaken it is reasonable to expect a like success so far as the hotel is concerned.
            Mr. H. S. Houston, resident manager of the Algonquin, has been in town with several members of his staff for the past week arranging for the opening of the hotel on the 20th inst.
            To the Beacon, Mr. Houston stated that the outlook for the season is all that could be desired.
            “Our bookings,” said he, “are larger than ever before in the history of the hotel. They include not only many of the old patrons of the hotel from Canada and the United States but many new ones as well. All the cottages in connection with the hotel have been leased, and if there had been a few more we could have found tenants for them.
            “Does the Company propose any additions in the near future?” Well, that I cannot say. I presume a good deal will depend upon the result of this season. If we have a fair measure of success I have no doubt that the cottage system will be enlarged upon, as the cottages have been found to be very desirable adjuncts. The erection of more cottages means the providing of larger water powers and possibly the introduction of an electric lighting plant, as the present plant [acetylene] is now running to its full capacity.”


May 3/1906
Kennedy’s has erected a 100 candle power gasoline lamp in front of hotel.
Town to vote on electric lighting


June 14/1906
SA to vote on electric light question June 26. By-law advertised this edition: “To provide for the issue of Town of St. Andrews Light Debentures, to the amount of $10,000, for the purpose of providing and establishing an electric lighting system; and further to provide of ran application to the legislature for the passing of an act to authorize a further issue of like debenture, to the amount of $2,000 of the same purpose.
            New Riverview hotel. Details. Has electric light, 51 bedrooms with double toilet rooms and bath rooms on each flat, five tables in pool room. Hot and cold water, having its own water works and sewer connections.


June 21/1906
The people of St. Andrews will be given the opportunity on Tuesday next to say whether they will adopt a municipal electric lighting system, or whether they will continue in the dark ages for another period of years. All ambitious towns are now provided with electric lights, and where they are under municipal control the results in most cases have been satisfactory. We feel sure a like result would follow its adoption in St. Andrews. The CPR Company would only be too glad to use electric lights for the Algonquin hotel and for the summer cottages if they were available, so that good revenue might be looked for from that quarter alone. The present lighting plant at the hotel is now running at its full capacity, so that new system would be required if the hotel should be enlarge next season. This feature of the matter is one that should be borne I mind, as, if the CPR places a system of their own in the hotel, the town may be debarred for many years from obtaining any revenue from this source. The people have had ample time to consider the subject in all its bearings and they should be in apposition on Tuesday next to give an intelligent vote.


Proposed By-Law on the Lighting question appears in this issue.


June 28/1906
Electric Light referendum defeated by one vote. “Thus endeth the electric light incident.”


July 5/1906
By a vote of 90 to 80 [St. Andrews] townspeople have decided against an electric street lighting system—Fredericton Herald


Aug 8/1907
Mr. McDermott, representing the electrical department of the C. P. R., had a conference with the town on Tuesday night, when he submitted an estimate for an electric plant that would light the town as well as the C. P. R. hotel and station. He said that the company would consider three propositions, one for the Algonquin hotel alone, one to include the town lighting and one to embrace Sir William Van Horne’ s property. . . . The plant to light the town would cost $17,000. . . . He said that 20 arc lights for the streets could be supplied for $80.00 each year. Incandescent lights would cost $30.00 each.”


Aug 15/1907
Electric Lights—The decision of the CPR to light the Algonquin hotel with electricity next season has brought he electric light question to the front once more.  The question now is, whether the CPR shall provide its own plant or whether it shall patronize a plant o be owned and controlled y the town. The statement made by the electrical expert of the CPR that the operating coast of plant sufficient to light the town would amount o about $5000 and that the CPR would utilize about $2400 worth of light has set our people thinking as to whether it would not be better for the town to put in the plant and secure such a good customers as the CPR would probably be. It is claimed by the advocates of the municipal system that the operating cost, as estimated by the CPR is very high, and the expert himself in a measure supports them in this view. In the first place, it is state that a saving could be made in having but one generator. In the engineer’s estimate he provides for a second generator, which, which would involve a cost of $3500. He also estimates on hard coast for fuel purposes, as it would be impossible to burn soft coal so near the hotel. In these two items alone there would be considerable saving. Placing the operating cost at $4000, and assuming that the CPR would take $2100 worth of light, there would be a balance of $1700 for street and house consumption. The lowest estimate of the engineer for providing street lighting (by incandescent light) is $1200, while under the arc system it would cost $1800. Taking $1500 as a fair average of the cost of lighting the town *sing arc light on Water street and incandescent on the rear streets) there would only be $200 to be made up by private users. As one hotel alone would require about $100 worth of light, and perhaps more, it would seem that the revenue from private sources would far exceed $200. Probably $500 would be nearer the mark. This would reduce the cost of street lighting very much below what the town would have to pay the CPR. The town would have the advantage of owning its own lights, and if it was found that the cost to private users could be reduced the town would be more likely to make a reduction than a private company. It is felt, too, that if ever the town is to be lighted by electricity the time to do so is now, when the CPR is willing to become such a heavy purchaser. If this opportunity is allowed to go by and the CPR puts in an independent plant for itself the town will be forever debarred from having the company as a customer. It is further pointed out by the advocates of a municipal plant that in the town of Campbellton, the revenue from private users is so large that it not only coast the own nothing for lighting its street but is able to lay by a little very year. They can see no reason why, this should be the case here.
            On the other hand, those who are opposed to public ownership say that it would be ore to the town’s interest to have the CPR control the lighting plant and have the town buy what it needs from the company. They think that the same interest would not be taken in the plant by the town as would be taken by the CPR and that as the CPR is not in the electric business for private gain would be likely to grant any concessions that would be reasonable. Moreover they argue that if the CPR owned the lighting plant the Company would be more concerned about forwarding the town’s interests and population than if it were in the hands of the town.
            The Mayor has been asked by petition to take a plebiscite on the questions. Before doing this, however he will place himself in communication with the CPR Company, asking them if they would patronize a town plant and to what extent. With these figure to submit to the people they will be in a position to cast an intelligent vote.


Aug 29/1907
CPR would prefer to take lights from the town but would not like to pay 12 cents a kilowatt.


April 9/1908
W. H. Topham of London in town after leaving 50 years ago. Was “walking boss” for Walker and Johnson, who had contract for construction of the St. Andrews Railway. Met ex-conductor Donahue. Names of engines on line “Shamrock,” “Thistle,” “Earl Fitzwilliam” and “Star.” Met Mr. Storr, vet mail driver, who was there when the navvies, fearful of losing wages during strike, quit and imprisoned a number of their bosses.
Manager Allerton “says that this year the policy of retrenchment is prevailing on the C. P. R. and that very little money will be spent on any of the C. P. R. hotels, except where it is absolutely necessary. There will be no new work on the Algonquin this year; neither will there be any electric light system. All the improvements will come “next year”


Feb 11/1909
Stately Summer Homes of St. Andrews by the Sea. C. R. Hosmer’s Beautiful Summer Home almost completed.
The French order of architecture has been adhered to in the striking looking cottage belonging to Mr. C. R. Hosmer, of Montreal, which Mr Wright McLaren is now putting the finishing touches on. It occupies a commanding position alongside of Sir Thomas Shaughnessy’s residence, Fort Tipperary, and like his possesses an unexampled view.
            The entrance on the west side is between massive pillars, of native sandstone. The first room is the large living room, which occupies almost the entire front of the house, being 17 x 44 feet. It has a massive fireplace almost opposite the ample doorway. Behind the living room is a hallway 6 feet in width, with a broad stairway on the lower side. The dining room 16 x 18 feet, morning room 13 x 18 feet, a large bedroom and a commodious bathroom occupies the remainder of the main floor. Two of these rooms open out onto broad verandah in the rear. With the exception of the bath room they are each supplied with a large fireplace. On the southern end of the building are located the kitchen, larder and butler’s pantry. They are all rooms of good size.
            On the second floor, in the main house, there are five large and airy bedrooms with splendid views, two of them having doors opening on to balconies, a dressing room, linen closet and three bath rooms. In the servant’s quarters there are two bedrooms and a bathroom. The attic also contains two large servants’ rooms, water tank, etc.
            In the rear of the lot a small building has been erected for acetylene gas. The house has also been wired for electric lights.


March 11/1909
The CPR Wharf
We do not wish to arouse any false hope sin the breasts of St. Andrews people, but we cannot help but think that the tide which has been ebbing from the port for many years has at last turned and that we shall soon have that flood tide of prosperity for which our fathers have hoped, and for which we have struggled for so many weary yeas. The town council of St. Andrews has certainly lost no time in meeting the wishes of the CPR management with respect to this proposed pier. On Saturday morning, the railway company’s communication was placed in the hands of the mayor, and that night at a special meeting, the Company’s plans were approved, subject to ratification by the port authorities. To be sure, the wharf proposed is at present only designed for local traffic, but how easy it would be if occasion demanded it, for the Company to bridge the channel and get to St. Andrews Island, where they would have a mile or more of deep water front, without the expenditure of a single dollar for dredging. It is such self evident facts as these that justify the agitation for the selection of St. Andrews as a Canadian winter port. Just think of it@!  A mile and more of deep water that would no require the expenditure of a single dollar for dredging, and six mils of more of such water extending up the St. Croix River toward St. Stephen.


St. Andrews people may well feel encouraged at the business outlook. With the CPR ready to erect a $20,000 wharf, the Dominion government willing to put up another at $18,000, and an electric light plant promised for the Algonquin hotel and cottages, the prospect is a most pleasing one.


Manager Allerton officially informed that Algonquin and present cottages to be lighted by electricity this season by Superintendent Reid.


March 25/1909
SA to be detached from St. Stephen and designated a “Chief Port,” April 11/1909. Various outports like Campobello, Lord’s Cove, North Cove to be attached to St. Andrews. These ports had been taken from St. Andrews and attached to St. Stephen since 1897.


Summer Resort Outlook---The outlook for the summer, from a tourist point of view, is very bright, and the Algonquin Hotel Company is taking hold of matters this season with a grasp that is most encouraging. The introduction of an electric lighting system, the enlargement of the hotel laundry, the additions and improvements that have been made to the cottages, the promise of other cottages in the near future and the increased enquiry for cottage and hotel accommodation, all point in the right direction. Sir Thomas Shaughnessy says that the Hotel Company is seriously considering an enlargement of the Algonquin hotel on an extensive scale.


April 22/1909
Algonquin Improvements
Engineer Brown has been busy lately taking the engine and laundry machinery down preparatory to removing it to the new building. He has his work well advanced. The contract of the new laundry building has been awarded to C. E. Deakin of Montreal, who engages to have it ready for use when the hotel opens on June 19. The new building will be about 165 x 25 feet on the ground. Part of it will be two storeys in height and part one storey. The lower floor will be supplied with the most up to date machinery. Upstairs here will be fourteen sleeping rooms for laundry help. The outside walls of the building will be of concrete. Mr Jago, of the CPR staff, Montreal, is here in the interests of the building and will supervise its construction. Mr Dietrich, of Montreal, is wiring the hotel for electric lights.


June 24/1909
The Summer Hotels. The Algonquin and the Inn open Once Again.
“Twenty years old today,” remarked Manager Allerton at the Algonquin hotel smilingly, on Monday last, “and the hotel is bigger and better and more prosperous than ever.” For the twentieth time the Hotel unlocked its doors to the public and unfurled its banner to the breeze, on Saturday. There were no guests to serve on what day, but the Hotel was ready for them, from basement o roof. Since then guest have been dropping in, and before long the hotel will be crowded. The manager states that never before have there been in the history of the house so many bookings as this season. He says he has had to refuse dozens of applications. The interior of the hotel is looking very beautiful and very artistic this season, with its new carpets on the stairways—by the way there are 880 yards of pure Wilton on the stairs—and its other new furnishings. The green room, the red-room, the splendid dining hall, the palm room, every part of the house in fact, are as clean as wax. There is nothing to offend the eye or any other sense, but everything is attractive and fascinating.
            The hotel has been wired for electric lights and these will be turned on about the firs of July. The power station is well advanced, the engine, boilers and dynamos are in position, the big smokestack was put in place on Monday and in another ten days fire will be started and the lights turned on. In the meantime the old form of acetylene gas will be used. The old laundry is also being used


Nov 25/1909
 CPR wharf
The freight shed is in process or removal this week from the old CPR wharf to the new structure. The old wharf will be retopped and thoroughly repaired. This will give the railway two excellent wharves at this port.


CPR displaying a lot of activity about St. Andrews this fall.


Inn at Indian Point being repaired. New building for lighting plant; brick chimney for kitchen on outside of the ell, rustic fence of neat pattern will be put up on either side of the driveway and a variety of other changes.


April 14/1910
Beautiful Summer Home—Mr. F. W. Thompson Will Have Fine Estate. Detailed article.
What Mr. F. W. Thompson, President and General manger of the Ogilvie Milling Company, does he doe swell and thoroughly. this has marked his whole career, from the time that he began life as a humble bank clerk in one of the Eastern Township banks, supplementing his modest income by doing business printing on a small foot power press, until now that the had become the head of one of the biggest manufacturing concerns of Canada, a director in many of the leading industrial institutions, of the Dominion, and one of the most prominent financier of the country.
            This spirit of thoroughness-this desire to excel—he has manifested in the stately summer residence that he had erected near the Algonquin hotel and which he will occupy with his family during the coming month of June. Not content with having one of the most beautiful dwellings in the place, he proposes that he grounds shall be as beautiful as landscape artists and labor can make them. He has a battalion of men and teams engaged on his place now, digging drains, building terraces and grading up for the pergola which is to be erected at the end of his flower garden and which he expects to be one of the most striking features of his estate. This pergola will be semi-circular stone structure with pillars and open sides and roof. It will be 40 feet across. Flowers, vines and shrubs will be trained up its walls.
            The residence has a frontage of almost 100 feet and commands a beautiful outlook. On the lower floor, entering from the broad verandah on the south west corner, there is a wide hallway which communicates with the large living room. Adjoining the living room, with an eastern outlook, is the library. The dining hall is a splendid room 17 x 30 feet, with a beautiful western prospect. There are two large guest rooms, with baths, on this floor. In the rear are the kitchen, servants’ dining room, etc. On the second floor are six large sleeping rooms every one with a fine outlook. There are also two bath room on this floor. The floor above contains four servants’ chambers. The building will be heated by steam and lighted by either electric lights or acetylene gas.


April 21/1910
New Summer Cottage—The Summer Abiding Place of Jeremiah Smith. Jr. Details.
One of the most comfortable, if not the most pretentious, is the new summer dwelling at St. Andrews is that owned by Mr. Jeremiah Smith, Jr., of Cambridge, Mass, and which occupies a sightly situation on the hill overlooking Katy’s Cove. The house is a two-story wooden structure, with the main entrance and a broad verandah on the south east side. It is one of the colonial order, the architect being Mr. Ames, of Boston.
            One the ground floor are located parlor, hall, dining room, butler’s pantry, kitchen, laundry, lavatory and coat room, and help’s pantry. Upstairs there are four principal bedrooms and a bath room, with two bedrooms and a bath room for the servants.
            The building wills secure water and electric lights from the hotel system. Wright McLaren did the carpenter work and supervised the erection of the dwelling. The mason work is being done by Charles Horsnell, the plumbing and electrical connections by Ira Brown and the painting and paper hanging by Albert Shaw. Mr. Smith expects to occupy the dwelling in June.


Jan 18/1912
Town Council: “A communication was read from G. Skiff Grimmer asking whether the council would entertain a proposal from a private company to light the town for a period of twenty years by electricity. The company asked for twenty years exemption from taxation and also exclusive rights within the town during that period. . . . The matter was referred to the Light Committee.”


Feb 8/1912
The Algonquin hotel electric plant will be enlarged, so as to provide light for the summer cottages as well as the hotel.


March 7/1912
Contract for Big Sardine Works.
Awarded to a Well Known Montreal Builder—Expects to be Ready for Fish in August
Manager McColl, of the Canadian Sardine Company, Ltd., came back from Montreal on Friday. He told the Beacon that the contract for the erection of the large factory buildings at Ross’s Point, Chamcook, had been awarded to Mr. Hartman a Montreal contractor of wide experience and repute. Mr. McColl says that the work will pushed forward with all speed. He expects that the company will be in a position to take fish about the first of August.
            The works will be thoroughly modern in every respect. The boiler and engine—the later of 200 h.p. capacity—will be supplied by a well known Amherst firm. The General Electric Company, of Canada, will provide the electric dynamo and other electrical fixtures by which the works will be operated and lighted.
            Mr. McColl says that the works will not be wholly confined to the canning of sardines. In order to hold the help between seasons other products will be packed. One line—fish balls—will require a lot of potatoes.
            Mr. Robert Clark, who is now looking after he interests of the Algonquin hotel company, in the work that is being done here, will act as inspector for the Canadian Sardine Company while the buildings are being erected. He is well qualified for the position.


May 23/1912
The St. Andrews Boom
Some of the Things Coming Way.
Bangor Commercial.
Eastport, May 16. St. Andrews, NB is experiencing a boom this year, which is causing the residents of this usually quiet little town to make an extra effort to keep pace with the time and the new improvements which are to be introduced. The large force of men at work on the construction of the Canadian Sardine Company’s plant at Chamcook three miles from the town, adds new life to the place. The American Can Company is to erect a can making establishment at Chamcook and the Sardine Company is to have its own electric lights. Rumor also has it that an electric road is to be built from Chamcook to SA, and may be extended to connect with the electric road at St. Stephen. A large number of concrete cottages are to be built for the accommodation of the employees.


St. Croix Courier
July 25/1912
An accident occurred on Sunday night to the lighting plant on Sir Thomas Shaughnessy’s grounds. The explosions were very heavy, causing 14 windows in Tipperary to be destroyed. None of the family were injured except in the way of fright. A number of bell boys from the Algonquin, who assisted in staying the flames, were more or less burned and bruised. Sir Thomas was not here at the time and the family are now at the hotel, comfortably quartered. The gas house was soon reduced to ashes and a merciful rain, helped prevent the fire from spreading to the home or adjacent cottages.


Oct 3/1912
D. Will MacKay, “the up-to-date photographer of SA,” will erect a 2-story hall on his property at upper end of Water Street, 30 x 60 feet. Upper floor for moving pictures, lower floor as auto garage. “During the summer season the building will be supplied with electric lights and the Chamcook water.”


Jan 2/1913
Its First Christmas
The New Canning Town Welcomes Saint Nicholas
The folly old Christmas saint has promoted many a merry Christmas entertainment during his merry career, but it is very doubtful if he ever gave his countenance to a merrier gathering than that which assembled in the big dining hall at the new canning town of Chamcook last week to mark the celebration of its first Christmas. No pains had been spared by the management to make the function a success. The immense room, which was opened to the public for the first time, was beautifully decorated, and was fairly ablaze with electric lights. Standing in a prominent place in the hall was a massive Christmas tree, bedecked with colored electric bulbs and weighted down with a vast number of Christmas favors. Such precious fruit was never carried on a tree in Chamcook before. Add to this illumination and decoration, 250 gaily dressed young people, laughing an chatting, their faces beaming with fun and laughter, and some idea can be formed of the scene which presented itself on Christmas eve, when the orchestra began to play and the young folks began to line up for the opening dance.


Feb 27/1913
Electric lights now adorn front of “Acme” picture-house. Ice 18 inches thick being cut from Chamcook.


May 29/1913
Amusing the Visitor
What the Algonquin Hotel Co. has Provided
There was a time in the history of St. Andrews as a summer resort when the visitor had to find his own pleasures, or go without. But that time has gone, at least as far as shore amusements are concerned.
            Now, his pleasures are all ready waiting for him--and of the very best. If he golfs--and there are few summer people who do not--he will find tow of the finest golf courses in America to play upon. If he plays tennis, there are six tennis courts at the Algonquin upon which he can amuse himself to his heart’s content. If his tastes run to the quieter game of croquet, there is an English croquet lawn in front of the big summer hotel that is unrivalled. If he is fond of bowling, whether it be on the green under the canopy of heaven, or within doors, he can be accommodated. If he plays billiards, either of the French or English variety, he will find what he needs. If he prefers the swimming pool, he can get all the salt water bathing he wants at Katy’s Cove. If he is fond of the dance, the dancing floor is here for him to trip upon.
            The Casino, recently constructed in front of the Algonquin hotel, is an ideal amusement hall. The building is of concrete, two stories in height, with broad, shaded verandahs where the visitor may lounge and enjoy himself. One half of the lower floor is used as a billiard room, the other half for bowling. There are three playing alleys in the latter, with two return alleys, fitted up in the best possible manner. A French and an English billiard table, and a pool table occupy the other side of the big room. Near the entrance there is a convenient lavatory and toilet. Upstairs, there is a splendid floor, 70 feet long, for dancing or other amusements. A ladies’ coat room and lavatory occupy one corner of this floor. The building is heated by a steam plant, and will be lighted by electricity.


March 12/1914
$335 on street lighting in 1913. Details on individual businesses, esp. &&&Poor Account page 2. Building still in operation.


Dec 10/1914
Mr. E. W. Beatty Appointed CPR Vice-President
A new “Movie” show was opened Monday evening in Andraeleo Hall, under the management of Mr. Howard chase. Although there were difficulties with the new engine, a first-class show was presented, and was enjoyed by 400 people. The manager received many compliments and hearty congratulations. The new electric light add greatly to the hall, as does the new heating system; and the Andraeleo show bids fair to be an extremely popular one.


April 22/1915
From the Montreal Herald:
Nature has done much for SA, NB. No prettier place can be found on the Atlantic Coast, for a summer holiday. Here are two of the best golf courses in America. Here, also, the visitor finds a delightful bathing beach, excellent boating, numerous tennis courts and croquet lawns, an electric lighted bowling green, charming drives, good fresh and salt water fishing, pleasant society, and many other attractions. The golf links at Joe’s Point, over-looking Passamaquoddy Bay, are unrivalled in North America. They are under the skilful care of John Peacock, a well-known professional trained in the Royal and Ancient game at St. Andrews, in Scotland. The C. P. R. has just completed the reconstruction of the Algonquin Hotel, which is now one of the most attractive hotels in Canada. It will be opened for service on June 15th. and many well-known Montrealers have made reservations here for their vacations.


May 13/1915
Town Council: orders red lamp globes for the light at public landing. $200 toward erection of retaining wall at Indian Point. Light Committee requested to investigate better service. Proposed improvements for Indian Point, including pavilion, for excursion parties.


Nov 11/1915
St. Andrews Waterworks. Article on lack of progress in securing water. “The prime essential, either in a household or in any manufacturing industry, is an abundant supply of good water. Several abortive attempts have been made to establish industries in the town, but they have invariably resulted in failure through the lack of sufficient quantity of good water. The Town is lighted with paraffin lamps, and there is no prospect of electric light until there is a supply of water to permit the establishing of an electrical generating station. The vacant lots in the Town make their silent and pathetic appeal for persons to build thereon; but the first inquiry of a prospective builder is--”Where is the water supply?” We are all looking forward to the time when St. Andrews will once more be a port of importance, but how can ships, under present conditions, get a supply of fresh water in the Town?”
Sidewalks of town in bad shape. Details. Culverts choked with leaves, etc.


St. Croix Courier
Feb 10/1916
A gasoline lighting system has recently been installed in the town hall by J. S. Manuel of St. Stephen and was used for the first time at a meeting of the council on Tuesday evening.—Beacon


Beacon (f9822)
June 24/1916
A series of arc lights has recently been added to the streets approaching the Algonquin Hotel and is a very decided improvement. A walk through the town at night now gives a splendid object less on “Lights, Ancient and Modern.” There are the gasoline lights of our stores, the electric lights of the picture houses, the dazzling brilliance of the street oil lamps [sarcasm], and, last but not least, the Algonquin’s new arc lights. It is clearly shown how the darkness of discontent could be turned into glorious daylight.


May 5/1917
Editor applauds the war-time cost-cutting measure of abandoning the inefficient oil-lamp system of street lighting and hopes that “when the war is over and the Town enters on its era of prosperity which will follow the installation of the water works, the lighting of the streets can be taken in hand in a proper manner.”


Oct 27/1917
Kennedy’s Hotel Closes for the Winter
It is with very sincere regret that we have to announce that Kennedy’s Hotel closes its doors to guest to-day, and will not reopen till early in June next year. This is the first time this famous and inviting hostelry has even temporarily ceased to cater to the travelling public since it was first opened on May 24, 1881, its then proprietor, Mr. Angus Kennedy, who began the hotel business on a site lower down on Water Street over fifty years ago, having moved into it on that date after his former premises had been destroyed by fire.
            The occasion of the temporary closing of this hotel gives another opportunity to reflect and to moralize on the present decadence of the future winter port of Canada. As a port and a commercial and manufacturing centre, St. Andrews does not occupy anything like the position it did over fifty years ago when Mr. Angus Kennedy started in the hotel business in the Town. Many thing contributed to the decline of the business and the place, and the same causes produced similar results in most of the coast towns of the Maritime Provinces. But other towns have introduced new enterprises to take the place of the lost lumber business and shipbuilding industry, and have entered upon careers of expanding prosperity. St. Andrews is now almost entirely without any industry whatever, if we except the relatively small fish-curing and clam-canning establishments which together do not give daily employment within the Town to twenty men. The Town is situated in the most advantageous position conceivable for carrying on many industries; it is beautifully planned, and affords the greatest possible facilities for effective drainage and for the installation of electric light and a water-supply system; and the vacant lots in the Town are crying out for occupants, and the grass-grown and deserted streets plead eloquently for the traffic which lack of enterprise and of cooperation on the part of the townspeople is repelling.


July 27/1918
Let St. Andrews Flourish!
. . . As we pointed out last week, the Old Shiretown is sadly in need of leadership and of an awakening to its possibilities, and we sincerely trust that those who desire to assist in the needed regeneration of the place will give expression to their views in our columns. . . . The Town needs waterworks, street lighting, an extension of its sewerage system, a and much improved methods of roadway and sidewalk maintenance. These needed public services are difficult to secure and to maintain with the present small population--very small in proportion to the great extent of streets. But if many of the vacant lots had residences built thereon and occupied by the families of well-paid artisans, and the community were as prosperous as it could soon be made to be with the needed energy properly directed, then the requisite improvements would come as a matter of course and their cost would cause no anxiety but, on the contrary, would be easily we might say automatically, provided. Again we call on the St. Andrews Board of Trade to come out of its hiding place. Let it get all the merchants, mechanics, and professional men in the Town to join the Association, and let them all pull together in a huge effort to replace St. Andrews in the position it once held relatively to the other Towns of NB.


Nov 16/1918
St. Andrews Celebrates
The glad news of the signing of the armistice reached St. Andrews at 7:30 on Monday morning, and immediately the Town Bell began to peal, and was soon joined by the several church bells, all of them being rung at intervals throughout the day. All day the citizens were hard at work decorating their premises, the streets and public buildings in preparation for the demonstration on Tuesday, which was proclaimed a Public Holiday by the Mayor.
Tuesday was a glorious day, in every sense of the word, the sun shining brightly in a cloudless sky from rising to setting, and the night was equally fine, the weather being unusually mild for the season of the year. The ending of the long and bloody world war, in which so many of her brave sons had borne a gallant part, and alas! So many of them had sacrificed their lives, brought great rejoicing to St. Andrews. Every heart was filled with joy, and it was manifested in the most remarkable demonstrations ever held in the Old Shire Town or in any other place in Charlotte County. The decorations of the streets, public buildings sores, and private residences and grounds were on an elaborate scale, and most artistic. Where all were so fine it would be invidious to particularize, but the windows of the stores of Mr. Edwin Odell and Mr. G. H. Stickney are certainly entitled to special mention. The illuminations at night were particularly fine, especially on Water Street, the colored electric lights festooning the streets by the Market Square being the most conspicuous. /The lights were furnished from the dynamo of Mr. Davis’s Picture show, and Mr. A. W. Mason is entitled to much praise and thanks for their beautiful installation.


The evening’s proceedings began by the “Exit of the Kaiser,” who was burnt in effigy and so that there might be no mistake about the exit, the dethroned and fugitive fiend was burnt in effigy a second time. From eight to nine o’clock the Band gave a concert which was much appreciated by the very large crowd assembled. Unfortunately the fireworks ordered for the occasion did not  arrive in time, but there were several bonfires in various parts of the Town, and the glowing illuminations of the streets, and especially the brilliant colored electric lights at the Square, made up for the lack of fireworks which were really not missed at all.


Beacon (f9823)
Feb 1/1919
Some enterprising citizens are organising a Company for the purpose of establishing an electric lighting plant in SA, and it is earnestly to be hoped that they will succeed in their undertaking. That St. Andrews has been so long without electric light for general users and for street illumination, is a source of wonder not only to the visitors but to the mass of the townspeople as well. There is not the slightest doubt that if electric light were available it would soon be installed in every house in Town; and our streets have so long been in total darkness on those nights when the moon does not shine brilliantly, that all the residents will hail with joy the lighting of the streets with electricity. The wretched old and dim kerosene lamps that were used for a time to light (?) the streets were justly discarded, as their maintenance was only a waste of money; but they served the purpose of showing the greater advantage of having streets lighted properly by electricity.


St. Croix Courier
Aug 30/1928
Lower Rate for St. Andrews Current. Utilities Board Grant Temporary Reduction and advise Company to Seek Cheaper Power.
            Text of Judgment: St. Andrews Electric Light and Power Company--this Company, immediately after its organization in 1920, entered into a tentative agreement with the CPR Co. for the sale and distribution of surplus electrical energy resulting from the operation of the CPR Co. of a plant for the Algonquin Hotel and cottages. The present schedule of rates is undoubtedly too high for the service rendered but , based on the prices paid under the agreement the CPR Co. does not yield the Company an undue profit. . . . It would appear to this Board from the evidences of Messrs. Anning and Mason that the St. Andrews Electric Light and Power Company are paying a much too high rate for power, a rate which was considerably advanced over the original rate by the CPR Co. without any necessity or reason. See p. 8