How St. Andrews Got Its Telegragh
Iron trade strong, due to demand for railroad rails. Electric telegraph being laid on Grand Junction RR in England.
Electric telegraph in NB--from Halifax to Montreal. May not wait for RR.
Telegraph to connect Montreal and Toronto.
Magnetic Telegraph lines now perfect between Toronto and Montreal.
Telegraph from Portland to Calais, from thence to Halifax, under construction.
L. R. Danow of NY in town to confer with residents on a spur line of the Portland/Halifax Telegraph line to St. Andrews. Telegraph beginning to criss-cross eastern US and Upper Canada.
Article by telegraph on Montreal Courier.
Telegraph poles being erected. Line to be in operation by end of month.
Aug 30, 1851
We are happy to announce, that St. Andrews is now in communication by telegraph with Saint John, Halifax, Calais, and almost all the principal cities of the United States. The line was opened last evening at 8 o’clock, when a telegraphic report of the English news by the steamship Niagara, which arrived at Halifax at 7 o’clock, was passing through. The office here is under the direction of Mr. Wm. Cruickshank, a competent operator, who will be found at the telegraph office, front room of the Market House, which has been fitted up for the purpose.
10 years ago Portland had no railways. Now centre of 522 miles of it. St. Andrews Reading Room Regular recipient of Telegraph news services.
John Bell in rooms adjoining Telegraph office taking daguerreotype likenesses.
Standard Office removed to H. O'Neill's bldg. Water Street, adjoining Telegraph Office.
Celebrations in town to mark completion of transatlantic telegraph from Nfld. to Britain. To officially open Sept 1.
Standard now has telegraphic news dating back to Aug 27 only. Sept 1 proclaimed public holiday. Fire works and public dinner in St. Andrews. Day denominated "The World's Holiday," and will be kept throughout British Empire.
Praise for Saint John "Telegraph" and Portland Evening Courier.
June 12, 1866
We were informed from a reliable source that our volunteers are to be disbanded with week. The telegraph reports state that the Fenians are returning to their homes, and that everything is quiet in Canada.
We notice that a new extension is in course of construction from the Railway near the old Steamboat wharf below Messrs. Odell and Turner’s property to Robinson’s Wharf, formerly known as Aymar’s. Mr. Robinson is also having his store, recently occupied as the Telegraph Office and Aymar’s Store, fitted up for a large wholesale and retail mercantile establishment.
Railway and beneficial effect for St. Andrews. See photocopy.
This railroad which as been in some measure ignored by a portion of the Press in this Province, is now attracting their attention. There cannot be a doubt as to its being the most direct line connecting Montreal with the sea in British territory, and the claims of St. Andrews as a future ocean terminus, are also being acknowledged, we are happy to notice by the Telegraph, which up to the present, in all its able articles on Railways, had not alluded to this formidable competitor to the long and out of the way Intercolonial. People now look to rapid communication, and cost of freight; and the locality possessing the greatest facilities, and at all seasons open to Ocean Steamers will be preferred. St. Andrews and Saint John have both, the distance being in favor of the former. The Quebec Government have granted further aid to the St. Francis and Lake Megantic Railway, of $1,500 per mile for 80 miles, and our United States neighbors are pushing forward their portion of the proposed line. They want an open winter port in Canada, and they know now that it can be had at St. Andrews.
Aug 22, 1878
Jottings on the Street, No. 10
Our perambulatory jottings on Water Street bring us down to the large Wholesale and Retail Store of “Odell and Turner.” The old firm name remains, but our “Warden Odell” is the presiding genius of this excellent establishment.
A stranger visiting SA, would not suppose that the town and adjoining parishes cold afford sufficient patronage to a store so large and so well stocked with such a costly line of goods—but, the Store is here, and commands an extensive trade. Customers outside of charlotte County find it advantageous to purchase their goods in SA; and more stores than Mr. Odell’s, if conducted as his is, would, also, probably find that St. Andrews affords a favourable location for trade.
The “Passamaquoddy House”, kept by Mrs. McLeod, was formerly the property and residence of James Boyd, Esq., who was so widely known throughout town and country that it is quite unnecessary to write his biography.
Mrs. McLeod keeps an orderly and good house, and is esteemed as a kind and hospitable lady.
The Custom House is at hand, the telegraph Office next door, and B. R. Stevenson, Esq.’s law office—and the “Reform Club Hall” over all, crowing all beneath it, with the “true blue” flag of brotherhood for all mankind—especially for those, who seek admission within its doors from the demon of intemperance who goeth about like a roaring lion seeking whom it may devour.
With the exception of a grocery kept further on, down street, by the O’Neill brothers, and one on the opposite side by Mr. Swift, very little in business by trading is carried on, except by Mr. Wm. Ross; but his, is principally, in vessels, and lumber.
Another property changed hands last week. Mr. W. E. Mallory, mail contractor, purchased from Mr. John Carroll his dwelling and premises, corner of Water and Princes Royal streets, near the Custom House and Telegraph office. He will commence improvements on the house, and enlarging the barn for livery stable purposes and expects to remove to the premises during the present month. The property is centrally located, in the vicinity of the public offices, and but a short distance from the Railway and Steamboat landing. The price paid for the property, former known as “Sweet’s Hotel,” was $900.
First Algonquin ad, first issue.
This new and magnificent summer resort Hotel will be open for the season of 1889, July 1st.
Electric bells, Passenger Elevator, Lighted by Gas, Telegraph Office, Steam Laundry,
Everything new and first-class
May 9, 1889
Inventory of SA--park, marine hospital, two large summer hotels, half-a-dozen smaller hotels open year round, 5 churches, 3 lawyers, 4 doctors, 6 school teachers, 2 livery stables, shoe factory, large dry goods store, foundry, carriage factory, "a dozen or more grocery, clothing, boot and hoes and hardware stores, 2 hairdressing shops, an electric lighting company," 2 drug stores, several blacksmith shops, a post and telegraph office, 2 meat markets, a Masonic lodge, a division of the Sons of Temperance, a brass band, a cricket and baseball club, a detachment of the Salvation Army.
June 20, 1889
SA station has become such an important one that Manger Cram has decided upon putting a telegraph operator in it. This is as it should be. The wires are now in the station. Louis Stuart will probably be operator.
Train station oldest in province, gets its first telegraph office; first message sent 22nd.
The CPR Telegraph Company are extending their line to St. Andrews. A gang of French linemen from Montreal started to work Monday morning putting up poles and stringing wires. They are getting along rapidly with the work.
Who’s Who and What’s What
Mr. C. R. Hosmer, who is registered at the Algonquin, obtained prominence through his association with the promoters of the CPR. As manager of the CPR Telegraph Company he did much to bring the company up to its present degree of efficiency. He is one of Montreal’s wealthiest and most public spirited citizens.
Shaughnessy’s residence being connected by telegraph wire to the Algonquin.
The CPR Telegraph Company is having a summer office erected on Mr. Hopkins’s grounds, alongside the Algonquin hotel. Mr. O’Leary has the job in hand.