The Telephone Comes to Charlotte County and St. Andrews
St. Croix Courier
Editor praises increasingly popular invention of telephonic communication and recommends that it be established between SS, Calais and Milltown.
Detailed description of Argyll’s interior.
On approaching the ‘Argyll’ the first thing that attracted our attention, was its outside adornment, consisting of anew coat of paint, color: on the main body of the building, a light shade of Greek grey, the mansard, straw-color, and the trimmings a rich gold olive. On entering the main doorway, evidence presented itself on every hand of the very thorough work done in the interior, the floors of the spacious hall, noble dining room and gents parlor, had been carefully scraped and oiled until they shone like glass, the walls and ceilings newly colored, and the woodwork painted. Accompanied by the proprietor, Captain Herbert, we ascended the stairway, which is of such easy grade as to make walking up stairs a pleasure, until we landed on the fourth flat, which, when we last visited it, was an unfinished attic, merely studded off, where now we found 12 spacious bedrooms, with ceilings fourteen feet high. Five of the rooms are connected one with the other by inside doors, so that when required they may be used en-suite to accommodate a family party. A door from each room leads into a roomy hall which is lighted through a large dormer window on the roof. Looking out of the windows of the rooms on the north east side the eye feasts on a birds view of St. Andrews or Passamaquoddy Bay, a second Bay of Naples, taking in Chamcook narrows and harbor, Minister’s Island, big and little Hardwood islands, one of which in days long past, was used as a quarantine station, and beneath whose sod lie the ashes on a large number of the sons and daughters of Ireland, who fled form the Emerald Isle during the famine that scourged the unfortunate bounty during the years of 1847 and 1848. . . . These rooms are furnished alike: the carpets two ply, woollen, ingrain colors, the bedsteads, dressing tables, wash stands, bureaus and clothes presses are of ash with walnut trimming, of neat design and finish, and were furnished by the firm of J and D Howe, furniture manufacturers of St. John. The bedsteads are fitted with the celebrated wire wove mattresses, while the bed linen is of the purest white, and finest texture obtainable. In a work these rooms are, in our opinion, the most desirable in the house, and like all the other, are first class in their appointments. We may here state, that each of the seventy-five odd rooms in the house is fitted with electric bells, and from each hallway and corridor there is telephonic connection with the office. We are pleased to state of the authority of Capt. Herbert, that the application for rooms so far this season, are in advance of previous ones, and anticipating a rush of summer visitors this year, he is prepared to meet such an emergency. . . . The grounds around the house have been very much improved, provision has been made for a lawn tennis court, and base ball players, while the underbrush in the woods lying in front of the hotel, has been cut out and the rods, swamped with the intention ultimately of making a park which will rival in natural and artistic beauty anything of the kind on the continent. In conclusion we have only to add, that Capt. Herbert will during he present as he has done in past season, provide a band of musicians for the entertainment of his guests, and that he will do all that can reasonably be expected of mortal man to do, in an effort to make his guests comfortable and happy.
A New Livery Stable
The St. Andrews livery stable keepers, who have been trying with considerable difficulty to make buckle and strap meet during he winter, will have some of he cream taken off their summer business by the new livery stable which Mr. S. J. Watson, of Houlton, intends opening at the Argyll hotel on the 25th of this month. Mr Watson was in town on Thursday, and secured a lease of the barn attached to the Argyll hotel. He intends putting in about a dozen teams and doing a general livery business. Arrangements are being made to have telephonic connection with the Algonquin hotel. We hope Mr. Watson will do a good business—but not at the expense of the regular stable keepers of the town.
Aug 18, 1892
A captivating Mr. Jarley visited St. Andrews last week and gave two exhibitions in Stevenson’s hall, in aid of the parish library. The figures she brought with her might very easily have been mistaken for real flesh and blood so lifelike were they in the general appearance. The “giggling lady” bore a very close resemblance to a charming young lady belong to Montreal, and some stupid people actually believed that it was the lady herself who stood before them. But, of course, they were mistaken. There were other figures so natural in their tout ensemble so as to excite comment of a similar nature. The artiste had evidently taken the most of her models from among the guest of the Algonquin. There was a very striking likeness of Miss /wheeler on the stage, also of Miss Gardiner, Miss Delgardo, Miss Meighen, Mrs. Baumgarten, Mrs. Gormally, Mr. Wilson, jr. Mr. William Jr. Mr Tilley, Mr. Forster and others. During the evening Mrs. Jarley kept Queen Victoria and President Harrison constantly informed by telephone as to her movements. The telephone messages she received in rely were a source of much wonder, but in these days of invention and rapid transit there was really nothing in that to excite wonder.
A private telephone line for Mr. Van Horne is to be stretched between his summer residence on Minister’s Island and the railway station. P. W. Snyder, manager of the CPR Tel. office, Saint John , came to St. Andrews on Tuesday last to make arrangements for beginning the work.
The Beacon was able to call up Mr. Van Horne, on his new telephone line on Saturday evening. the big railway man was entertaining some of his friends at the time, but graciously gave the newspaper man a few moments. This the first telephone ever put up in St. Andrews. Mr. Van Horne, also has telegraphic connection between his summer residence and the railway station.
The Van Horne Cottage [annex—see my photo]
Several men are employed in garden work but all the carpenters have taken their departure. In a few days the plumbers will be here to make the connections which were cut last fall, and the telegraph men are also expected to arrive to put the telephone and telegraph lines in shape. the action of the tides upon the cable across the bar has rendered it useless, and a new cable will either have to be laid or a better method devised for stretching the wire across. It is expected that the Van Horne family will move into their summer home about he latte part of next month.
The following pen and ink description of St. Andrews is taken from a recent number of the Seaside Witness, a manuscript newspaper, edited by C. W. Manzer, and issued under the auspices of St. Andrews Division, Sons of Temperance:
What St. Andrews is not: St. Andrews is not a village. Why? it is too large. It is not a modern town. Why? It has no electric lights, no water works, no policemen, no street cars, no telephones. it is not like Boston. Why? You cannot get lost on the streets so easily. It is not like New York. Why? the streets are not so crowded, and its elevated railways are not so well patronized. It is not like Chicago. why? It has not so many 15 storey buildings. It is not like Liverpool. why? It has not as many miles of docks. It is not like Woodstock, NB. why? It has a better harbor. It is not like Houlton. Why? the mud on the street is snot so deep.
What St. Andrews is. Rather a desirable place in which to live. Why? It has a most healthful climate, free from the thick fogs of Saint John and Halifax, free from the extremes of heat a d cold of the inland towns, beautiful scenery, cheap rents and plenty of elbow room. It has a splendid geographical situation on Passamaquoddy Bay in close proximity to the towns of Chamcook, Bartlett’s, Waweig, Latete, St. George., etc. It has a splendid harbor, and in it could be seen crafts varying in size from the smallest row-boat to the largest ocean steamer (should any of the latter ever happen to arrive). Steamer arrive and depart (in the summer time) connecting with Bangor, Portland, Boston, New York and Campobello. CPR trains arrive and depart daily (in the summer time) semi-daily, making close connections with Montreal, Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago and Dumbarton. St. Andrews support two enterprising papers, the Beacon and the Seaside witness.
Dec 13, 1894
There are telephone connections between SS, Calais, Baring, and Eastport. When will St. Andrews fall in line?
“Leaves from a Reporter’s Notebook”
A large audience gathered in Memorial Hall on Tuesday night last to listen to the lecture by R. E. Armstrong on the above subject. The chair was occupied by Rev. A. W. Mahon.
The lecturer began by defining what a reporter was, at the same time giving an idea of what his manifold duties consisted of. The qualifications of the ideal reporter were considered the chief of which was “a nose for news.” The reporter, he said, was ever a seeker after truth. He wanted the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. He instanced some prominent men in the world’s history who had been reporters in their early lives. The methods employed by the metropolitan newspapers with regard to the collection of news were touched upon briefly. Many of the reporters on the metropolitan press must of necessity be specialists in their particular lines and as an example he have an illustration of a shipwreck, showing how necessary it was to a truthful and intelligent description of such a thrilling incident that the marine reporter should be well versed in nautical lore. Though reporters seldom keep a memory record of events they are called upon to describe from day to day, yet there are instances that are never blotted from their memory. He gave some examples from his own reportorial experiences, among them his first murder case at Little River, Saint John; the conflagration in St. John in 1877; the excitement attendant upon the sending of a contingent of the N. B. volunteers of the North-West to suppress the Riel rebellion, introducing some patriotic references; the witnessing of a wreck in mid-ocean the scenes attendant upon a street riot in Limerick some years ago; a visit to Scotland, and the places made famous b Sir Walter Scott and the poet Burns; a mission over the Short Line when it was being constructed, following it up with scenes witnessed in a subsequent trip to the Pacific coast over the C.P.R. line, also some reminiscences of the old police court in St. John, when Humphrey Gilbert was magistrate and “Charlie” chandler was clerk. Dropping reportorial reminiscences he considered several other phases of his subject, among them some of the things that a reporter sees behind the scenes, the impressions that he forms of men’s character, etc. The “fresh” reporter was portrayed; the “scoop” was described; the methods employed in carrying news now-a-days by telegraph, telephone, bicycle, balloon, carrier pigeon, ocean grey-hound, and flying mail train were referred to briefly and a few predictions indulged in as to what future aid Science was to bring to bear upon the reporter’s work, by means of cathode rays, flying machines and other inventions yet in their infancy; a few moments were also spent in referring to the kind of people who give the reporter “that tired feeling.”
The New Brunswick Telephone Company proposes connecting Saint John with some of the leading points in Charlotte County this summer. Contractor Barnes, of Buctouche, who is plotting the line, left Saint John on Thursday and got through to St. George on Saturday. From St. George a line was plotted to Bonny River. On Tuesday, Mr. Barnes, with Mr. Hoyt, the chief lineman, was at Kennedy's hotel, SA, and after remaining here a few hours drove to SS, which place will also be connected by the telephone line. Mr. Barnes said work would be begun on the Saint John end the first of the month. It would take six weeks or two months to wire to St. George, Bonny River, St. Andrews and St. Stephen. From St. Stephen the company will connect with Calais. This will bring them into direct connection with the American business, and will put in a four-wire line.
Poles for St. Andrews - Saint John telephone line to arrive in spring.
Suicide by Drowning
Capt. Starkey, A Victim of Melancholy, Takes His Own Life
A shocking tragedy, and one that is fortunately very rare in this community, occurred early on Saturday morning last, when Capt. James Starkey, the well-known boatman, ended his life by his own hands.
For some time past, Capt. Starkey had been in a despondent mood. The recent deaths of his two sons (both remarkably brilliant students) the serious illness of another son at Aitken, South Carolina, and the discovery that he himself was affected with a cancer, so preyed upon his mind that the became melancholy and unable to sleep. Dr. Gove, his attending physician, tried to shake off this melancholy feeling, but in vain. On Friday, the doctor paid him two visits, and left with his wife a prescription to induce sleep. The doctor warned Mrs. Starkey that her husband was in a dangerous frame of mind and that he should be watched.
About midnight, the unfortunate man went out of his house, but soon after returned and warmed his hands at the stove. Between 1 and 2 o’clock, he left the house again. This time he did not return. His wife waited half an hour for him to come back, and the, becoming thoroughly alarmed, she visited Mr. James Ross, a neighbor, and imparted her fears to him. He aroused Mr Thomas Pendlebury and together they went over to the Starkey wharf to begin their search. With aid of a lantern hey soon discovered the body in the water, with a heavy weight fastened to it. The painful discovery was at once made known to his family and as soon as the tide receded the body was lifted. Coroner Wade, who viewed the remains, did not consider an inquest necessary.
The deceased was 64 years of age and leaves a wife, two sons and a daughter, for whom the heartfelt sympathy is felt. He was a man of more than ordinary intelligence, with a great deal of personal independence about him. His integrity was undoubted. As a mechanic, he had few equals.
During his time, he built some very fine vessels. Among those whose construction he directed were the schooners Nettie, Greta, Nellie Clark, Christina, Annie P. Odell, George Lamb and Telephone, all of which with the exception of the Nellie Clark were constructed at St. Andrews. The Clark was built at Robbinston.
Of late years, Capt. Starkey has devoted his time to building boats and taking out pleasure parties in his little schooner Crusoe. He was well known and greatly respected among the summer visitors. He was also buoy contractor for the port of St. Andrews.
On Monday, the remains were taken to Robbinston, Maine, for internment. Before leaving, a short service was held at the house by Rev. A W. Mahon.
A telephone line has been strung from Mallory’s table to the Algonquin Hotel. Mr. James Hunter, of Saint John, was here this placing the apparatus.
The telephone wires are now strung between Saint John and SS, via St. George and SA, the last wire having been stretched this week. On Saturday night, chief lineman Hoyt with his crew ran the wire into St. Andrews from St. Stephen and on Monday the stringing of the return wire was begun. Just as soon as the local offices have been established, we will be able to “hello” all over the continent.
Telephone Connection with the World
St. Andrews is now in telephonic connection with the outside world, or at least wit that portion of it which enjoys the comforts of a telephone system. On Thursday last, chief lineman Hoyt established the instrument in Mr. Howard Rigby’s dwelling, and in a minute or two afterwards the Beacon was able to converse with friends in St. John, their voices being distinctly heard. In St. George, the telephone instrument had been installed at Mr. Frawley’s. At Mr. Stafford’s residence, Lepreaux, an office will be established and another at Balcom’s at Musquash. The telephone line will prove a great convenience.
Charlotte Telephone Company incorporated.
Telephone lines for the Algonquin cottages.
Algonquin ad: under direct management of CPR stressed. Telegraph, telephone, bathrooms en suite, spring water at tables, bathing, boating, fresh and salt fishing, golf.
Coakley withdraws from partnership in Exchange Hotel. $1.50 per day. Sample room attached for commercial men. Long distance telephone connection.
SA has 90 telephone subscribers on Exchange.
A telephone station to be placed at Kennedy’s.
Campobello will in the near future have telephone communication with Maine and NB, the telephone company organized by residents of the island having made application to the Dominion government of the laying of a cable across the Lubec narrows, by means of which connection will be made at Lubec with the New England telephone system,. The distance is short, about 1,000 feet, and the cost of the cable will be small, comparatively. Deer Island has connection by cable with the mainland and Grand Manan also, and the Canadian authorities will doubtless grant the application of the Campobello folks, who are anxious to keep in touch with whatever is going on in the world about them. The establishment of communication by telephone between Campobello and Eastport will be of great benefit to residents of this island also, who have been obliged to cross the intervening strip of water in heavy weather, frequently, in order to transact business that could readily have been arranged over the telephone.
[the correspondent is not quite right in saying that he new corporation will take over the whole island. It will only take over the properties of the old Company. These are chiefly located in the vicinity of Welshpool. The island possesses a telephone connection at Wilson’s Beach via Deer Island with the mainland. Welchpool is without such connection, and it would be a great convenience to the residents of that locality if they were provide with such]
The people of Campobello are feeling pleased over the new telephone line which is to run from Wilson’s Beach to Welshpool, and thence to the narrows, where it will cross the water, and be connected with the system in Lubec. The line is put in by a company which has sold its shares on the Island principally, and as they are all taken the line will be put in operation as soon as possible. Lubec Herald.
St. Croix Courier
Wilson’s Beach and Welshpool have been connected by a new telephone line.
St. Croix Courier
The Phone System the Best for Train Work
CPR will use this method for dispatching from coast to coast
Mr. James Kent, manager of the CPR telegraphs, has just completed a tour of inspection of the system from the Pacific to the Atlantic. The CPR telegraph system has grown considerably since it was inaugurated in 1886. Today the company has 100,000 miles of wire, forty five percent of which is copper, and the proportion of copper wire is constantly being increased. By the end of the year, said Mr. Kent, the CPR will have 4,000 miles of single track, with facilities for train despatching by telephone. By the end of the year the line from St. John to Vancouver will have a double copper circuit, so that the railway will then be able to despatch its trains by telephone instead of telegraph. The telephone is quicker and more adaptable to emergencies. A skilled operator is not required, as in the case of sending a message by telegraph. Time can be saved, and communication can be had at once from or to any train, for under the telephone system trains carry the apparatus, which can be quickly attached for use. The telephoning is the modern way of despatching trains, and the CPR in a few months will have four thousand miles of single track connecting two oceans equipped fort this system.
Canadian Sardine Co. Notes
The army of workmen at the new sardine town are gradually bringing order out of the chaos of the past few months. The offices at the works have now been sufficiently completed to admit of the office staff entering into possession, which they did on Saturday last. The town offices at Andraeleo hall are now vacated.
Misses Edna Fuller, Madge Rigby, Alice Lank, and Jennie marten, the young ladies who assist Secretary-treasurer Haycock in looking after the business end of the Company’s affairs, started out to their duties at Chamcook for the first time on Monday morning. They have had very comfortable home quarters provided them in the Company’s residence, and will remain there during the winter.
Managing director McColl told the Beacon that early in the coming month the work of putting up sardines, clams and the other products which the factory will pack, will be begun.
On Saturday, mechanical supt. Kirnin, who has been one of the busiest men at the works got the big elevator running. The Company’s hotel and offices, and the street of the new town, were also illuminated with electrics for the first time on Saturday last. A 200 hp Corliss engine, backed up with 3150 hp boilers, provides the power for the dynamos and the other works.
the work of putting up samples of sardines, kippered herring, baked beans and brown bread, fish cakes, clams, bouillon, etc., which has been carried on for a short time past under the supervision of Messrs. Follis and Morris, at the clam factory in town, will be transferred to the Chamcook building next week.
Mr. Charles Haycock, the hustling Secretary Treasurer of the Canadian Sardine Company, will shortly occupy the Boyd cottage at Chamcook. Mr. Hoyt, of the NB telephone Company, has been putting in a telephone exchange at the new sardine town at Chamcook lately. A beginning will be made with 15 poles.
Ratepayers and the Water Question
Being deeply interested in the question of a water supply for the town of SA, I most respectfully submit the following arguments, thinking that the publication of the same might to a slight degree assist in the campaign which you have been so ably carrying on in your valuable paper during the past months in reference to this vital issue.
Along with the majority of ratepayers I have at times criticized the Town Council for their apparent negligence in this matter. Of course any man accepting an election as counsellor must expect a certain amount of adverse criticism, and such criticism if intelligent is no doubt not only valuable but necessary in order that the business of the town be carried on with the best results. However, the trouble is that we as ratepayers do not know what the Council is doing because we do not attend its meetings. I myself attended their last meeting and must confess that I learned more of the water question than I had learned during the past two years by hearing it discussed on the street, and by reading the reports (necessarily brief) of the work of the Council which have been published in your paper from month to month. The Council invited questions from the ratepayers present; such were asked and gladly and satisfactorily answered.
Now, if we as ratepayers could be brought to feel that the councillors are doing their best in this matter, and to realize how little thanks they get for the work they do, surely we would arouse ourselves to the necessity of action. The present Council are, I think unanimously in favor of the installation of a water system. Let us return them to office that they may “finish their work.” And let us start such an agitation on this question that every man, woman and child in the old town will be heard discussing it, and awaken such an interest that when the day of voting comes every man will be found at the poll ready to express his opinion.
Now for some arguments for and against. Out of all the discussion that I have heard on this question the only argument that I have heard against it, is that our taxes would be increased to such an extent that we would be unable to meet them. This idea however is far from right. The taxes of necessity would for a few years be higher but not to such an extent as some would suppose. If the system were installed and the water supply paid for by the year, and not one house in town took water, all the extra annual expenditure could be borne by an increase in the taxes of only about two-thirds. That is, if a man’s tax at present is $12.00 per annum, under these extreme conditions it would only be increased to $20.00. But if the system were put in, it would only be a few years till comparatively every house in town would take water. A man would be ashamed to be seen on the street carrying a pail of water. When the telephone system was installed only a very few homes felt that they could afford the luxury, but now nearly every house is supplied. It is regarded as a necessity. So would it be with water.
St. Croix Courier
Preparatory work being done on new telephone exchange, corner William and Water on lot formerly occupied by Edwin O’Dell Dry Goods Store.
St. Croix Courier
Shiretown Items—work on new telephone building progressing rapidly. First by an Hour: Ad advertisement in a Montreal Daily says: “This city has been chosen again as the first in Canada to see ‘Goodbye Mr. Chips.’” Not going so far as to say St. Andrews was chosen, it is nevertheless interesting to note that this picture was shown here an hour before it was in Montreal, appearing here on Thursday evening at 7:30 while it was shown the same night in Montreal at 8:30.
Shiretown Items—St. Andrews Exchange
(History of St. Andrews Telephone Exchange reproduced almost in full. Including 1900 Mallory-Algonquin line.)
In the January number of “Telephone News,” a magazine published for the employees of the N.B. Telephone Co., and a copy of which has been presented to me by our local manager, F. J. McCarlie, appears an interesting and well written story by C. A. Lee relating to the development of the telephone exchange in St. Andrews. Accompanying the article are good pictures of the Howard Rigby home, where the first exchange was installed in 1903, of the McDowell building to which it was removed in 1912, and of the modernly equipped brick and concrete building, erected and owned by the company, and completed in 1939. The introduction of the story consists of a sketch of the history of St. Andrews from 1604 up to the present time, with flattering reference to the many natural attractions of the town, and some interesting notes on some of our present-day inhabitants. The history of the exchange, which, I am sure, will be of interest to a much wider circle of readers than would be reached by the publication in which it appeared, is copied here almost in full.
“In 1900 W. E. Mallory installed a private telephone line between his livery stable off Water Street and the Algonquin Hotel on Fort Hill. A little later Sir William Van Horne erected a private line between his residence on Minister’s Island and the CPR station. When a toll pole line was erected between Saint John and St. Stephen in 1901 a toll switch and station were placed in the residence of Howard Rigby on Water Street, St. Andrews. In conversation with the construction foreman, Sherman Hoyt, Mr. Mallory suggested the company established an exchange in St. Andrews. Mr. Hoyt told him if he could dig up thirty-give subscribers the company would put in an exchange. Mr. Mallory at once got busy and succeeded in getting thirty subscribers, which number the company accepted as a sufficient start, and at once installed a switchboard in the Rigby residence, with Margaret (Madge) Rigby, assisted by her sister Carrie, as the first chief operator. Descriptions of the various types of switchboards used are omitted here as being of little importance to the general reader. in 1911 Miss Ruth Greenlaw became chief operator with Miss Muriel Pendlebury (now Mrs. Stanley Deacon) added to the staff. In 1912 Miss Viola McDowell was employed as night operator and held this position until her retirement on July 31, 1943, a record of 31 years.
“Late in 1912 the company purchased the McDowell building further west on Water Street, replacing the two position Bell Switchboard with a new Kellogg Switchboard with harmonic ringing. By means of selective ringing it was possible to install 4-party lines, the only subscriber’s bell to ring being that of the party called. There were 178 subscribers at the time. In 1914 a Private Branch Switchboard with 250 sub-stations and 5 trunks to the NB Tel. company’s switchboard was installed in the Algonquin Hotel. In 1930 a more up-to-date system was place in the main office which at that time was giving service to 385 subscribers.
“In 1938 the company bought the Odell property on Water Street. This property had been the site of the Edwin Odell Dry Goods Store, one of the oldest and most outstanding business houses in St. Andrews prior to its destruction by fire in 1930. Here early in 1939 the company erected a modern brick building and installed a new Common Battery exchange. On Sept. 15, 1930, the old magneto system in the McDowell building was cut over to the Northern Electric Manual common battery in the new brick building, there being 388 subscribers at the time of the cut-over. The building and equipment are a credit both to the company and to the town of St. Andrews. Much credit is due to the McCarlie for the neat and beautiful appearance of the company’s building and grounds; during the summer months his window boxes and borders of flowers are the pride of Water Street.
“Since 1903 the St. Andrews exchange has grown from a one position magneto switchboard with thirty subscribers to a three-position common battery multiple board with 450 subscribers and toll lines from a switch on a local iron circuit to six direct toll circuits.
“Local managers stationed at St. Andrews from 1914 to 1933 were as follows: M. J. McCarroll, Skiff. McCarroll, Willard Lewis, Harry Leroy, Fred Kennedy, F. J. McCarlie, the latter still in charge.
“Chief operators from 1911 to 1945 have been Ruth Greenlaw, Irene Rollins, Emma Stickney, Mina Pendlebury, Eileen Greenlaw. St. Andrews exchange has now a staff of six operators, Eileen Greenlaw, Norma Henderson, Donna McNichol, Irene McQuoid, Mina Pendlebury and Freda Leslie.”
St. Croix Courier
New Phone System for Algonquin.
The Algonquin Hotel at St. Andrews opens the season this year with a new telephone system complete in all the details, including a two-position switchboard, power plant and 370 uniphones located at bedside positions. (work done by NB Tel over winter)