Item
St. Croix Courier
Jan 5/1939
Shire town Items—This Column Feels Honored. It is interesting to note that a contributor to one of the New York papers is a reader of this column. A copy to hand of the story "Saddest Love Letter Ever Written", though garnished, embellished, elaborated, and even illustrated is in substance the story told in an item in this column a few months ago entitled "A Romance of Long Ago."
St. Croix Courier
Jan 26/1939
Shire town Items
A Glorious Age Gone
In looking over a recently compiled list of the ships built at St. Andrews between the years 1830 and 1880, the following interesting item was found: "Schooner Esther, built at St. Andrews, New Brunswick, 1830, rebuilt at St. Andrews, 1869. Capt. John S. Maloney, Master, and sole owner. Lost on Misery island, Mass., April 15, 1881." Of all the persons mentioned in connection with the building or sailing of these many ships, Capt. Maloney is the only one still living. He is one of our oldest residents and still enjoys excellent health. After retiring from the sea he made a study of the game of checkers as a hobby and even when past eighty was too much for any of the younger experts. Quite a few descendants of those engaged in this now vanished industry are living in St. Andrews, but most of the names mentioned in the records are no longer on the of the inhabitants. And no longer "the stately ships go on, to the haven under the hill."
Interesting Visitor
There are two consuming passions that invade he breasts of practically all men at frequent intervals, the one being a desire to keep hens and the other an intensive longing to "hit the trail." Of course in all cases except the odd one, out of the thousand, common sense prevails—we continue to buy our eggs, and stay put. Most men at some time or other have taken a long walk, alone, on a railroad. Hard walking, and as a rule rather dull scenery. But there is something fascinating about those threads of steel reaching on and on that stimulated our imagination and floods us with an almost overpowering desire to keep going and going, just to nowhere. In return for a heaping plate of bread and butter and a pot of tea, it is often possible to obtain an interesting and fascinating story from these "knights of the road" who visit our back door so regularly. Most of these recitals may be mere figments of the imagination, but interesting, nevertheless. The younger men are all ostensible or perhaps in reality, looking for work. The older ones are never looking for work here and now, but almost without exception are on their way to some distant town to visit their sister, with the expectation of getting a job. They are started on the road with the hope of finding work. Some will confess that having tramped a few months without finding work, and having learned with what ease food and old clothing can be had for the asking, the quest for employment was changed to a quest for adventure, and they became true wanderlusters. Not so long ago we had a visit from one of these interesting characters, and for the customary plate of bread and butter, a pot of tea and a few scraps of meat we were afforded a half-hour of as interesting an entertainment as anyone could wish for. This particular gentleman of the road was a university graduate, had one brother a doctor and another a clergyman. He appeared to be about fifty years of age and was badly in need of a new outfit of clothing, which unfortunately we were unable to furnish at that time. He told us the highlights of his rather checkered career and attributed his choice of profession and present down at the heel condition to his early and intimate acquaintance with "John Barleycorn." His story of course may have been nothing but a fabrication, but if so it was most elaborately designed. He talked fluently and correctly and could discuss with surprising intelligence and wit such a variety of subjects as philosophy, religion, politics, the situation in Europe, unemployment and so forth. Indeed an interesting character. He was on his way to a distant town to visit his sister!
St. Croix Courier
Feb 9/1939
Shire town Items—Bigger and Better. Howard W. Pillow having new yacht constructed in Cape Breton: to be 56 by 14 feet, with two 110 horsepower diesel motors. Lucinda, 41 by 11, now for sale.
St. Croix Courier
Feb 16/1939
Shire town Items—New Light and Power Rates. S. J. Anning manager of Maritime Electric Company drawing up new schedule of substantially reduced commercial rates, with reduced residential rates also. "Mr. Anning also states that a canvass is to be made in the spring with a view to the purchasing of a right-of-way from Oak Bay to St. Andrews in order that power may be brought down on this side of the river."
St. Croix Courier
Feb 23/1939
Shire town Items—They Rang the Old Town Bell!
Hear the loud alarum bell!
'Tis to tell, not of fire
Leaping higher.
Not of terror and disaster,
Tho' it makes the heart beat faster,
But its clanging from the steeple
Is to notify the people
That the Senators have won!
In the frosty air of night,
How it rang out its delight!
How it tried so hard to speak,
But could only shout, and shriek
Out the story and the glory
Of the vict'ry of our boys;
And the joys and the noise
Of the fans, so much affected
By results so unexpected!
It made our hearts within us swell,
Roused emotions none would quell,
To hear the clamor and the clangor
Of the bell!
Photo of Dr. Worrell's house for sale. Indeed it is the old Gove house on Montague and Princess Royal.
St. Croix Courier
March 16, 1939
Shiretown Items
Picking on this Column
Why does the printer always choose this column when he makes an error? We seldom see any in other parts of the paper. Is it because we read our own column with a more critical eye, or is it because our writing is so much worse than that of other scribes? There were three printer's errors in this column last week. "Nuthatches," was printed "mithatches," an excusable mistake, "Dumb" was printed "bumb" which was not so good. Image a crow sitting in a "bumb trance." Rather silly, what? And in the item "Skilled Workmanship," a whole line was omitted from the manuscript in the first sentence, spoiling both the composition and the meaning. The previous week, "fatuities" was printed "futuities," (a new word for Webster). We have kept no record of errors over the past few months, but a few we can recall from memory are "reported" for "reputed," "dome" for "home," "degree" for "decree," and several minor mistakes of little consequence. How annoying printer's errors must be to the editor, when even an amateur reporter is disturbed by them! A lady whose house we frequently pass, has some beautiful blooming plants in her window. We had thought of writing a little item about the display, but recalling a recent comment by the editor on printer's errors in which he referred to the omission of the letter "l" in a report of an exchange of plants, we feared to take the chance. In case the letter "l" were omitted, it would be so easy to insert the word "and" and change the spelling of "blooming" to suit. Then we would indeed have been in trouble!
St. Croix Courier
March 23/1939
One week ago Germany invaded Czechoslovakia. Powerful editorials on the need for force against the German determination to rule Europe and the maniacs at the helm: Hitler, Goering and Goebbels.
St. Croix Courier
April 6/1939
New Hotel Opening in May Will Cater to Tourist Travel. Elm Hall, located above Memorial Park. 48 rooms with nine complete bathrooms, some of which are private in connection with the better rooms. Owner Guy J. Mann of Saint John. Already operated as Elm Hall for some time.
$25 Voted for Space in New Tourist Book. A proposal from the Merchants Advertising and "Tourist Service of Saint John, by G. P. Casey, manger, outlined a tourist folder and map of New Brunswick which is being prepared for circulation this summer, and in which various cities and towns are being asked to take space. His letter stated that 20,000 copies of the folder, entitled "Hither and Thither in New Brunswick," are to be printed if the proposal is accepted.
Shire town Items—Ocean Products Limited the name of Grace Helen Mowatt's new pottery. Desc of some products.
St. Croix Courier
April 13/1939
Photograph of south-western hockey champs with Gordon Higgins.
St. Croix Courier
April 20/1939
Shire town Items—A New Mayor. R. Fraser Keay. Has been mayor before for one year; been in provincial legislature last four years. "He is keenly interested in the development of Indian Point as a tourist attraction, and it is hoped that the council will support him in at least making a start along these lines."
St. Croix Courier
April 27/1939
Shire town Items—Pottery in the Making. More on the inner workings of the new pottery.
St. Croix Courier
May 11/1939
Shire town Items—We Believe It. Jim O'Neill, who is doing post-graduate work at John Hopkins University in Baltimore, came across one of Ripley's "Believe It or Not" items recently in one of the city papers which told the story, and showed a drawing of the Bar leading to Minister's Island, where it is possible to drive on the floor of the ocean. This curious feature, caused by the rise and fall of the tides, though commonplace to local residents, is a never-ending wonder to tourists.
St. Croix Courier
May 25/1939
Shire town Items—Heather Curling Club to build rink and clubhouse on Queen between Harriet and Mary. Details.
Opening 58th Season: Kennedy's Hotel, now run by Amelia Kennedy since father's death. "This fine hotel continues to be well patronized although, with all other moderately priced hotels, it feels the competition of the tourist camps. Some of these camps are beautifully situated and if one is disposed to pay the price he can receive the same accommodations, conveniences and comforts as can be had at a moderately priced hotel. But to take them by and large as they line the highways throughout the province, it is difficult to understand how so many people will profess almost an insulting preference for what strikes the eye as a set of glorified dog-houses."
Preparatory work being done on new telephone exchange, corner William and Water on lot formerly occupied by Edwin O'Dell Dry Goods Store.
St. Croix Courier
June 1/1939
Shire town Items—Against private development of Indian Point.
Piece on quiet local industry of shipping out sardines from steamboat wharf.
St. Croix Courier
June 8/1939
Edit: Telling the World. Government puts little effort into signs for town and cities; done mostly by benevolence of big oil companies. But Sackville Rotary Club has taken initiative in this matter: sign advertises population, attractions, industries. "The cost in the case of Sackville has been modest enough and will no doubt be repaid many times over through visitors being induced to spend a little extra time—perhaps several days—looking into some of the attractions listed which many interest them. Most of our towns have their own peculiar selling points which if prominently yet tasteful displayed would add to their share of the tourist trade."
Shire town Items—Numerous Good Suggestions.
The executive committee of the New Brunswick Tourist Association, an organization formed last November with the object of assisting the government in advertising the attractions of the province, held its first meeting in Fredericton on May 26. The committee is composed of fourteen members representing every section of the province, H. B. Hachey being the member from Charlotte County. Various recommendations were drawn up which will be forwarded to the government. The meeting also suggested that each member of the committee should get in touch with interested organizations in each incorporated community in his section of the province, to induce them to co-operate in the work and to assure them of every possible assistance from the Association in any work they might undertake in order to make their particular section of the province more attractive to tourists. The Association proposes publishing a booklet entitled "Scenic New Brunswick" and urges each section of the province to procure suitable pictures to be displayed in this publication. View of natural scenery are to be used rather than pictures of buildings and so forth. Individuals living along the main highways are to be encouraged to keep their places looking as attractive as possible. Lime will be supplied free of charge to any such who wish to white-wash barns or outbuildings. The views from "Scenic New Brunswick" will also be printed on post-cards, and sold to all stores handling souvenirs. The towns in the Saint John valley already have a fine collection of views, which are now on sale in the form of post-cards. The Association recommends that owners of tourist camps and service stations and others, display the Union Jack, rather than foreign flags. They feel that tourist visiting a foreign country wish to see the things belonging to the country they are in, rather than to their own which they have just left.
Things to Improve—What Can We Do to Make St. Andrews more attractive, and who is going to do it? We have three approaches to the town and any interested persons are cordially invited to look them over. Coming by train the first glimpse the visitor gets of the town is the public dump. Coming by ferry he is confronted with what has been well named "the rocky road to Dublin," the approach to the town being rough and steep, narrow and crooked. Coming by route One, the first thing to strike the eye is a lot of old rusty empty oil barrels that were distributed along that section of the road when it was paved two years ago, and still remain. In the absence of a board of trade, or town improvement society, it would seem that all these matters might come within the province of the town council. Three years ago the council made a start on a hedge to surround the dump; the following year it caught fire and was half destroyed, and nothing has been done since. No serious attempt has ever been made to improve the road at the ferry landing, though both the operator of the ferry and tourist have been loud in their complaints. Is it too much to hope that the present council may take some action in these matters?
St. Croix Courier
June 15/1939
King George and Queen Elizabeth in Fredericton. Photos.
Shiretown Items—Who Can Remember? On taking a stroll along the public landing one evening last week, I met up with a couple of guys who used to frequent this neck of the woods, fifty years or more ago. After the customary formalities and greetings had been gone through, sincere inquiries about each other's health, and the usual inane remarks about the weather, which, despite of all good conversationalists to the contrary, most people continue to get off their chest as a sort of limbering up process, we launched into a talk of "old times." Many of the incidents recalled, of course, were more or less personal, and would not be of interest to the general reader, but if the reference to the meeting of these friends of boyhood, whose paths have been widely separated over the intervening years, may perchance call up a pleasant picture of childhood days to any of the hundreds of our native sons who are now far away from the old home town, the object of this item will have been attained. How many readers can recall the "rope walk?" It was not a walk made of rope, but a walk along which ropes were made. The manufacture of rope from loose bundles of hemp, the process of braiding, weaving and rolling, being almost entirely done by hand, was carried on in connection with the ship building industry of those far off days. The rope walk, so called was located and extended for several hundred yards, along the bank to the eastward of the lighthouse at the head of what is now the CPR wharf. The last ship to be built at St. Andrews was launched from the shipyard there, about sixty years ago, and school was dismissed that the children might witness a scene, which, all unknown to them at the time, was to mark the closing of an era of romance and prosperity in the old town, and which now remains but as a dim picture in the memories of the oldest inhabitants. How many remember the "old extension," a spur of trestle-work, running up along the shore from the depot to "Street and Foster's" wharf, (now Quoddy Co.) a long wharf extending at that time nearly to low water, and at which were unloaded valuable cargoes of rum and molasses from the West Indies. Three are many who can remember the abutments still standing, some can remember the trestle-work and sleepers; but how many can recall when the rails were still there? How many can remember when there were twelve bar-rooms in St. Andrews, and hard liquor 60 cents a quart? Those would have been the gala days for the sailor boys! No sneaking around private door-yards with their cases of beer as they are obliged to do under the present well intentioned but most impractical liquor law. No little boys of tender years following at their heels to snatch the bottle as soon as empty, then to rush back to the liquor store for their "two pieces of copper."
Following the train of thought suggested by the closing sentences of the previous item, it would seem that if the provincial government wishes to continue to swell the public coffers by the sale of booze to these hundreds of men from the ships which now visit St. Andrews annually, they should provide some suitable place for them to guzzle it. The people of this town are broadminded and long-suffering, and have always done everything possible to make the visits of these ships pleasant and enjoyable to both officers and men, but many unfavourable comments have been heard in regard to the undesirable conditions prevailing during the last ship's visit and it seems to be the general opinion that the government should do something about it. There are three courses open to the government, or liquor commission: 1. close the store while the ship is in port; 2. provide a room in connection with the store where the men may drink; 3; do nothing. Readers are invited to place their bets as to what course will be adopted. Personally I am prepared to lay a small wager on number 3.
No Hard Surface Roads, Then
Pleading as excuse the scarcity of material for the column this week, I should like to relate the story of another incident recalled and laughed over at the meeting of the three "old timers" referred to in the first item. To recall the incident the party of the first part suggested to the party of the second part that should June 13th provide a sufficiently heavy rainstorm we should ride to Saint John or Fredericton on bicycles. Thereupon the party of the second part related to the party of the third part the detailed story of that disastrous and inglorious trip to the Saint John Exhibition in the fall of 1898. We laid our plans, weeks in advance. The "shore Line" was offering an excursion rate of 90 cents from St. Stephen to Saint John and return. We considered this amount quite reasonable for our transportation as it would leave us a couple of coppers to spend the night with relatives a few miles outside of St. Stephen. Long before reaching our destination the heavens opened and rain fell in torrents. There were no pavements in those days, and even mud-guards on bicycles were as yet unknown, so the sorry spectacle we presented on our arrival at the home of those good people, can be better imagined than described. Soaked to the skin and plastered with mud from head to foot! Our new caps with their pasteboard visors were in ruin. After a brisk rub-down, we were decked out in the belongings of the goodman of the house, and spent a comfortable evening beside the roaring kitchen fire, while the rain-laden wind howled and whistled dismally outside. But as for the goodwife! She spent practically the whole night in washing and scrubbing, ironing and pressing in order that we might be once more presentable in the morning. The rain had ceased and the sun shone brightly as we mounted our wheels for St. Stephen. Party number two was wearing the goodman's Sunday best trousers, as the goodwife had been unable to make his own presentable in the time at her disposal. We were again in gay spirits, but congratulated ourselves a trifle too soon on the happy sequel to our unpleasant experience of the day before. Though the rain was over and the sun shone the road was still slippery and muddy, and number two, losing control of his wheel, had the misfortune to measure his length in the mud, the find Sunday trousers getting especially well plastered. First aid was rendered with the inadequate equipment to hand, and we again proceeded on our way. The trip on the train was without incident, and strange to say the only thing either of us could recall about the exhibition, was our getting stuck in the turnstile at the entrance to the grounds. Not being used to city crowds we had a horror becoming separated, and so in passing the turnstile, we, naturally, both tried to pass through in the same space, unfortunately with rather disastrous results. "In fact," said number two, in relating the story, "we were a couple of 'hicks.' But although my vocation has compelled me to spend the greater part of my life in large cities, I am still a hick at heart and love the small town best."
New Pleasure Boats: Commodore Pillow's 56 foot cabin cruiser with Capt. Cliff Brown; Ralph Wilson's 37 foot sailing yacht, Captain William Pendleton; Margot Redmond's 28 foot yawl, Capt. J. R. Wren; two snipes owned by Melvin Bartlett, and Arthur Mears. Three small sailboats owned by Clayton Dixon, Stan. Deach, and Elmer Rigby.
St. Croix Courier
June 22/1939
Shiretown Items
Day to be Remembered
The pathway that is followed n the life of every individual is marked by many guide-posts, hours or evens that stand out in clear relief against the background of everyday activities. To the people of St. Andrews and Charlotte County the memory of the hours and events of June 13th, 1939, will live forever. It was a day of great significance and deep emotion, and has left a picture in our hearts that the passage of time will never dim. It was an occasion the like of which may never be repeated in the lifetime of any individual having a part in it. It was a day in which we had our share in these events of the past four weeks, which may go down in history as being among the greatest and most significant of all time. If there was any person in that vast throng who could hear the booming of the guns in salute to His Majesty, who could hear those lusty and loyal cheers from eight thousand young throats, who could listen to the playing of "god Save the King," and at length could see the actual features and person of our King and our Queen, without feeling a tightening in the throat and a moistening of the eyes, he must indeed have had a heart of stone. Although thousands of words have been written about this never-to-be-forgotten tour of their majesties, and of the wonderful receptions accorded them by the Canadian and American people, no words have been found to adequately express what it has meant to the individual. The passage of such dynamic currents through our being and the experience of sensations and emotions akin to the religious or spiritual, cannot be described in mere words. God Save the King! God Bless the Queen!
St. Croix Courier
June 29/1939
Shiretown Items
To the Graduates
Have you ever noticed with what ease and apparent enjoyment most men can watch other men work? Next time you are passing a place where some construction work is going on, stop and look hem over. There will be a sprinkling of just plain loafers, who appear to have little interest in the work, or in anything else. They are there for no particular reason. They have so many waking hours to put in each day and it is a matter of indifference to them how or where they are spent. There will be a few who might be considered as postmasters in the art of masterly inactivity. It is they who are able to assume the exactly correct pose—a sort of debutante slouch, chin on chest, hands in pockets, feet wide apart. They seem to be actually interested in the work. They stare with red-lidded cynical curiosity, but say nothing. Others will be seen coming and going, business or professional men, mechanics, and tradesmen, who, when passing, cannot resist stopping for a few minutes to see how the work is progressing. There seems to be a fascination in watching a structure grow. Perhaps it is because all successful and happy men are builders themselves. The selection of thing to build is unlimited, but whether one is engaged in building a mouse-trap, a home, a bank account or a noble character—that structure not made with hands but greatest of them all—one can learn a lot by watching others. One's thoughts at this time of year naturally turn to the young people finishing their school days. Tonight the Charlotte County Grammar School graduates the largest class in its history. For better or for worse, most upper-bracket parents will deposit their offspring at some college, to tide over those alarming and uncertain four years between adolescence and approximate maturity. But the great majority of these boys and girls will now be "on their own." In ten, twenty or thirty years how many will be loafers and wasters, and how many builders? All unemployment statistics notwithstanding, there are still many who believe it is up to the individual. The men who cannot find a job should make one. It has been done countless times before and can be done again. The very kindest wishes of the writer are extended to every member of this large class. I confess the old school which is mine as well as yours, will not seem the same without you, but "we'll honor ye the school we knew, the best school of all; we'll honor yet the rule we knew, till the last bell call! For working days, or holidays, or glad or melancholy days, they were great days and jolly days, at the best school of all!"
Thomas Turner O'Dell, long a leading St. Andrews Merchant, dies. Details. Father same name; son also. Business in family over 100 years. Lived in Manchester house. Born 1859.
St. Croix Courier
June 29/1939
CPR Sunday train started Sunday.
Mr. and Mrs. Cleveland Mitchell in town for summer; also T. W. Kelly, assistant manager Algonquin.
St. Croix Courier
July 6/1939
Nearly 1,000 Tourist Cars Entered St. Stephen Saturday and Sunday. New record. The volume of Canadian traffic is also showing rapid growth and is in fact increasing faster in proportion than the United States traffic inward. A total of 143 cars went out on Dominion Day this year, just one short of tying the record set on Sept. 3,1938. The total out so far this year is 2,008 as against 1,581 last season. Extreme congestion and delay at Ferry Point Bridge.
St. Croix Courier
July 20/1939
Edit: Fredericton needs the road from McAdam paved. Tourists turning away.
Miss Margot Redmond hostess of very pleasant tea on lawn outside golf club house on occasion of award ceremonies of New Brunswick-PEI mixed championships. 100 guests present as well as Algonquin orchestra. Miss Cairine Wilson and Watson Stinson, St. Andrews, winners.
Shiretown Items—A Week of Delight. Last week at St. Andrews was one long glorious week of golf and happy days. The cream of amateurs and professionals from all parts of New Brunswick and PEI were here. Boys from 15 years to fifty. Young ladies from 18 years to ?, all in the pink and full of the joy of living. Full too of golf—playing it, thinking it, and talking it constantly. Golf—this game at once the most delightful and fascination, the most exasperating and heart-breaking. Details: Skinner and Wilson, etc. Dave Caughey does well.
Canada's Greatest Airman (William A. Bishop) a Visitor at St. Andrews Last Week. Bio. Only in town a few hours.
St. Croix Courier
July 27/1939
A surprise party was given to Woodrow Mitchell, son of Mr. and Mrs. Cleveland Mitchell, at their home on Monday evening, by the Algonquin office staff. A pen and pencil was presented to him. Woodrow is leaving shortly for Halifax where he will join the Canadian navy.
Shiretown Items—work on new telephone building progressing rapidly. First by an Hour: Ad advertisement in a Montreal Daily says: "This city has been chosen again as the first in Canada to see 'Goodbye Mr. Chips.'" Not going so far as to say St. Andrews was chosen, it is nevertheless interesting to note that this picture was shown here an hour before it was in Montreal, appearing here on Thursday evening at 7:30 while it was shown the same night in Montreal at 8:30.
St. Croix Courier
Aug 10,1939
Shiretown Items—Makes a Good Story. The Algonquin is doing a better business this year to date than has been done in any season for several years, and it is expected the house will be practically filled to capacity for the rest of the season. The help, however, who depend mostly on tips, are not doing so well as they would wish. I heard an older member of the staff, in speaking of the good times of former years, say that at the end of the one season he had collected seven nail-kegs full of quarters and fifty cent pieces. I would not attest to the truth of the statement, however.
Mr. and Mrs. Cleveland Mitchell gave a dance in the Elite Hall for the pleasure of their son, Woodrow. Music was by the Algonquin orchestra. Woodrow was presented with a purse of money by Harry Gavy, given to him by his friends before he left for Halifax for training.
St. Croix Courier
Aug 17/1939
Shiretown Items—A Perfume Bar! The Wren Drug Store has recently installed a Perfume Bar which adds much to an already attractive store. The entire structure is of glass, the back and sides consisting of colored mirrors. Although it cost a tidy sum, Mr. Rollins, manager of the store, thinks the increased sales from this more suitable and attractive display will make the investment well worthwhile.
Exciting Pastime: Two young people of Montreal, who are spending a few weeks at Chamcook Lake, thought it would be interesting to take up the study of insect life to pass the time while summering in the country. Unfortunately, they began their studies by an investigation of a Hornet's nest, with rather disastrous results. With over 600,000 species of insects classified and named, it seemed rather an ironic twist of fate that they should begin their investigations at the wrong end, as it were. No doubt their enthusiasm for this fascinating hobby is somewhat cooled for this season at least.
Ad Astra per Astra: A very interesting and almost pathetic illustration of the many advantages enjoyed by country children over those reared in the city was brought to our attention a few nights ago. Many of the things which we are prone to treat as commonplaces, or at least to accept as a matter-of-course, are really most marvellous and in spring, if we but pause to give them a few moments serious thought. Can you imagine a boy reaching the age of five year without ever having seen or heard of the stars? No doubt there are many such. There is one at any rate, now visiting in St. Andrews. This little boy now longs for the night and the darkness with an intensity of desire which is absolutely foreign to most children of tender years. Night and darkness are no longer the time when he must stop play and go to bed, but the time when he can go to the door or window and watch for those twinkling little messengers as they appear one by one. Who can say what thoughts are passing through that little brain? Does he just see a beautiful picture, or is he groping in the dark for his first understanding of the marvels of creation.?
St. Croix Courier
Aug 24/1939
Shiretown Items
Beautiful To See
Having spent twenty-five years in the study of this exasperating and at the same time most fascinating of all games, I finally gave it up as too difficult to learn in one short life-time. I took lessons and practised faithfully. I read everything that had ever been written on the game. I could talk golf (as my wife can testify) by the hour, and although never getting beyond the mediocre stage in practice, I did acquire a theoretical knowledge par excellence. For one with little or no knowledge of golf, the free and beautiful, but at the same time distinctive and individual styles, the unerring judgment and skillful execution of those masterful shot-makers paying in the Canadian Open, would not mean a thing. But to the initiated, it was a treat never to be forgotten. Although my requirements in the food line are not as great as formerly, my more intimate acquaintances will know that even now I was making quite a sacrifice to go without luncheon that I might miss none of the play. With an occasional chocolate bar or ice-cream cake to fortify me, I saw it all, or as much as it was humanely possible for any one person to see.
Shiretown Items
Always Enjoyable.
Thomas Marshall's Caddy party, so called, an annual social event looked forward to by both young and old was held on Thursday evening of last week, with over two hundred guests present. The first feature was a motion picture show "The Mikado" at Marina Theatre, after which the guests went to various restaurants and the K. of P. Hall where refreshments were served. The balance of the evening was spent in dancing at Andraeleo Hall, a local orchestra furnishing the music. Some of us have been attending these parties for many years, and their repetition neither lessens our enjoyment of the, nor our appreciation of the kindness and generosity of our good friend, Mr. Marshall.
St. Croix Courier
Sept 7/1939
Harry Mallory on staff at St. Stephen high school.
Shiretown Items
Better Than they Want
It is generally accepted that one of the first principles in the development of a successful business is to give the public what they want. The two young men who own and manage the Marina Theatre have gone beyond this in giving the public even better than they want. No low-class thrillers or melodramas, which might satisfy many of the patrons, are shown at this theatre, and in consequence it has proven not only a place of entertainment but an institution with a considerable educational value as well. In an endeavour to suit all tastes as great a variety of pictures as possible is shown. But they are all of a high standard. Some of these films are so expensive that the receipts do not cover the cost of showing. But the boys take their loss with a smile and continue giving the best. One of the finest pictures to be shown this summer was "They shall Have Music," starring Jascha Heifetz, how the most outstanding violinist in the world. Although this show many have been "caviar to the general," it was angelic food to the music lovers. The splendid pictures of the Royal tour which have been shown throughout the summer have given us a much more intimate acquaintance with our King and Queen than we had from seeing them for a few minutes in person. So long live the "Marina"! May its lights never flicker, its sound-box stutter, nor its treasury go dry.
Shiretown Items
Historic Landmark
Another of the old landmarks is being torn down, the building last occupied by the Hum Wing laundry, and considered by most authorities as having been one of the original loyalist homes. As far back as any of the oldest residents whom we saw can recall, is when the owner was Nathan Treadwell, an undertaker who made caskets as well as conducted funerals. After Mr. Treadwell's death the property came into the possession of one of his daughters who had married William Sharpe. The children of this family moved away from St. Andrews about forty years ago and Owen Rigby, a widower of Mrs. Sharpe's sister, occupied the premises for a time doing undertaking work. Later the property was bought by Dr. H. P. O'Neil, who recently sold it to the Quoddy Coal Company. Nathan Treadwell was an uncle of Harold Stickney, an octogenarian of Wedgwood fame, having married a sister of Harold's mother. Nathan was also a brother of John Treadwell, grandfather of Fred Treadwell, now the only one of that name in St. Andrews. Fred's great-grandfather, William, came to St. Andrews about 1800, moving here from Maugerville, New Brunswick., where he had been given a grant of land along with other loyalists. He married a daughter of Colonel Peck, then living at Campobello, and built a home here on the lot, now vacant, between the home of Jack Thompson and the O'Neill property on Water Street. At that time there was a open air skating rink where the O'Neill and Garnett properties now stand, and a few yards from the present location of the St. Andrews Arena. John Treadwell built the house where Fred now lives, and installed a system of waterworks by means of a wooden aqueduct leading from a well about three blocks distant on the property now owned by Robert Stinson, on Montague Street.
Britain and France Enter War Against Germany After Hitler Army Invades Poland. (This had been foreseen for some time as a natural consequence of the non-aggression pact with left Poland's ally Russia out of the picture).
St. Croix Courier
Sept 14/1939
Photo of new St. Andrews Phone Exchange.
St. Croix Courier
Sept 21/1939
Shiretown Items—The Old Town Bell. What a kitchen is without a clock, St. Andrews is without the old town bell. Citizens have become so accustomed to its regular ringing that the day passes very unsatisfactorily without it. It is not that one any longer depends upon it for calls to labour or refreshment, but just because it is an old custom one certainly does miss it. The wooden wheel to which the bell-rope was attached had rotted out after many years of service and broke down one day last week. A new wheel is being made by Nelson Pye, who also made the one which is being replaced. The present bell is the second one of the town, and was made by the McShane Bell Foundry of Baltimore, Md. It was bought by Mr. Foster for $144.50 and was hung on the 17th of December, 1879. It weighs 426 lbs. The bell-ringers from that time on were Michael Cloney, King Coole, Sandy Donald, David Keezer, William Campbell, Daniel Byrne, John S. Magee, Fred Craig, and Herbert Greenlaw, the present ringer who has rung the old bell for twenty-nine years. The minutes of the Town Council show that for two or three weeks during the summer of 1904 the ringing of the town bell was discontinued owing to the serious illness of a guest at Kennedy's Hotel. The bell of the Anglican Church rang out the customary calls and was to serve as a fire-alarm as well, but fortunately was not needed in that capacity. In the old days the bell was rung at 6 o'clock to end the days' work, instead of at 5 o'clock as now. One of the ringers of those old but not forgotten days caused quite a commotion one bleak November night. He rang the bell as usual at six o'clock after which he went home to lie down for a nap. He awoke at 5 to 7, and because of the darkness thought he had slept the night through. He rushed down and rang the bell again for 7 o'clock, but before he got away from the premises had the whole fire department there inquiring where the fire was!
Rural Cemetery Burial
Albert Denley, Labourer
Age 75
Lot 69B
Sept 26, 1939
St. Croix Courier
Sept 28/1939
Shiretown Items—Many Used Car Ferry. The international ferry has been discontinued after the most successful season since its inception. Altogether 2104 cars crossed during the summer, and only four days were lost because of bad weather. From July 4 to Sept. 15. Six-car ferry. Some think two four-car ferries would be better.
St. Croix Courier
Oct 12/1939
Photo of New bridge over Digdeguash river. Replaced covered wood bridge. Old bridge considerably lower than new, and contained a draw-span which has been eliminated.
St. Croix Courier
October 19, 1939
Shiretown Items
Principal Makes Discovery
Last week being fire prevention week, appropriate talks and exercises were held at the schools. For the benefit of visiting officials a fire drill, in which the schools by constant practice have become proficient, was carried out. The principal also thought it would be nice to demonstrate the quickest methods of for extinguishing a blaze. A bon-fire was built in the yard, and when burning briskly one of the extinguishers was brought out and found to be empty. A second was tried with like result. The third one appeared to be empty also but on being given a vigorous shake it exploded, fortunately without any serious casualties. Next a can of never fail, sure death powder was dumped on the blaze. It had the effect which might be expected from a wet log. The fire sputtered momentarily then for a few minutes hissed in a sing-song meditative sort of way. Directly however it was burning as briskly and merrily as ever, but could not withstand the final and good old-fashioned treatment of two or three buckets of water. A story is told of a man caught on a camping trip with matches that would not light. Preparing for a similar trip on the following year he was determined that the unfortunate experience should not be repeated. Consequently before packing his box of matches he scratched each one to make sure it was a good one. Perhaps some similar expedient might be adopted in regard to the apparatus for fire prevention at the schools!
St. Croix Courier
Oct 26/1939
Shiretown Items—Nearly 120 Years Ago. The next item following is copied from an old St. Andrews paper, the "St. Andrews Herald and Commercial Advertiser," bearing the date April 21st, 1821, and gives a good account of the way in which the King's birthday was celebrated in those days. If the reader is not sufficiently interested to read the whole item, he is invited to at least read the closing sentence. They evidently had an exclusive social set in those days. Today in St. Andrews public card parties, dances and other social functions to which all are equally welcome, are a common occurrence. The space between Water Street and the harbour on which the Soldier's Memorial is located is now spoken of as the Market Square, but the Square mentioned in this old-time item was on the opposite side of the street. At that time the tide came in to where the public scales now stand. There was a plank sidewalk along the water-front having a railing to which dinghies were moored. A small stream originating in the neighbourhood of Harry Boone's property ran beneath a bridge on Water Street and emptied into the tide about where Mrs. Handy's House now stands. Another small stream coming from the foot of the Morris hill crossed beneath another bridge on Water Street and emptied into the tide at the point where now is the Quoddy Co. driveway.
"Most-Respectful" Were Present
"Yesterday being appointed (by Royal Ordinance) for the celebration of the birthday of His Most Gracious Majesty George IV, was kept here in a manner worthy of the occasion and evincing in the highest degree the loyalty and affection of the inhabitants of this part of His Majesty's American Dominions. About 10:30 the troops at the depot under the command of Capt. Thomas Jones marched down King Street, and were drawn up on the Market Square, where they fired a 'Feu de Joie' in honor of the day. The Militia Artillery Company under Capt. Hatch with the two companies of the first Battalion Charlotte Militia under Major C. Campbell, commanded by Captains Jack and McMaster, assembled at the usual parade grounds, proceeded to Water Street and at 1 o'clock fired a Royal Salute in very good style, after which the music played up and three loyal cheers were given. We were much pleased with the general appearance of the militia; we conceive however the Artillery Company deserving of a very good praise their appearance was striking, and their discipline reflected much honor on the officers and men. The officers of the Militia with the magistrates of the town, then repaired to McFarlane's Hotel where a collation was provided and the following toasts were drunk with the utmost enthusiasm: 'His Majesty George IV,' 'Governor of Great Britain,' 'Gov. General of British American,' 'Lieut. Gov. and Commander in chief,' 'Col. Sir Robert Le Poer Trench and the brave 74th regiment.' The festivities were closed by a ball at McFarlane's Hall where the most respectful of both sexes were present."
Photo: first in a series on beauty spots of Southern New Brunswick.
St. Croix Courier
Dec 28/1939
St. Andrews Community Arena Destroyed by Fire On Christmas Night. Photo. Erected 1932. Debt only just paid off. Origin of fire unknown. Bill O'Neill conceived the project and carried it through to completion.
Shiretown Items—Echoes from the Glamorous Past. Before the days of the railroads there was a regular stage route from Boston to Halifax. Passengers and mail were brought to Robbinston, and from there were brought across to Joe's Point on a ferry operated by the father of John Friar, who will be remembered by older residents. From this point another "coach and four" sped over narrow and rocky roads on its way to Halifax. As the entire distance was covered at top speed it was necessary to stop frequently to change horses. This old building in Bocabec, was one of the regular stops and to this day is called the "Old Exchange." It is about eight miles from St. Andrews and is now the home of Louis Holt. Railroad building began in New Brunswick in the year 1857, [sic] the first line running from St. Andrews to Watt Junction, but it was not until about 1880 that a system connecting the most important towns of the province had been established. In the meantime the stages continued to carry the mail and most of the passengers. In 1876 W. E. Mallory got the contract for carrying mail between the towns of St. Stephen, St. Andrews and St. George. He operated a livery stable in St. Andrews and made daily round trips to these neighboring towns. By this time, however, the driving of the stage had lost all its glamour and romance. It was simply a daily drive over the same route, tiresome and uneventful, the trip being made in a light express wagon with one or two horses as the load required. Mr. Mallory's contract expired in 1880, and being again put up to tender, was awarded to W. H. Whitlock of St. Stephen. The latter continued to carry on until the carrying of mails was taken over by the railroads in 1882.